JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 10-19-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Still a lot of problems offensively and defensively for the team (don't want to read too much into forcing a 19 yr old PG into turnovers), but there were some reassuring things from individual players.

Price - smelled blood and went for it.

Kobe - showing he can still shoot 3s.

Randle - finally getting his confidence and aggressiveness back. Seeing him dribble past Exum in the open court warmed my heart. Team is better when he's on the floor.

Davis - Nice seeing him using his mobility to score with his back to the basket. More of a post threat than Hill.

True that the Jazz didn't put in some of their starters and had a rookie guard, but what about the Lakers without 6 players, two or three which are starters and basically run the offense?

I have some issues with the gambling defense that the Lakers are employing, which I posted in the X's and O's thread. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it will work against a decent team.

It was apparent in the first half, but less so in the second, because they managed to get so many steals out of it.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

It's ok to gamble when you can trap a guy against an out-of-bounds line or halfcourt.... but doing it randomly will never work.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Still a lot of problems offensively and defensively for the team (don't want to read too much into forcing a 19 yr old PG into turnovers), but there were some reassuring things from individual players.

Randle - finally getting his confidence and aggressiveness back. Seeing him dribble past Exum in the open court warmed my heart. Team is better when he's on the floor.

Davis - Nice seeing him using his mobility to score with his back to the basket. More of a post threat than Hill.

True that the Jazz didn't put in some of their starters and had a rookie guard, but what about the Lakers without 6 players, two or three which are starters and basically run the offense?

I have some issues with the gambling defense that the Lakers are employing, which I posted in the X's and O's thread. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it will work against a decent team.

It was apparent in the first half, but less so in the second, because they managed to get so many steals out of it.

Truthfully Lakers won't be able to compete with most of the top teams, they just don't have the talent. However if they keep the games close and stop the blow outs anything can happen. In a 4th quarter close game with Kobe Bryant on your side anything can happen. I just can't stand the blow outs that should not happen.
Richmond
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Truthfully Lakers won't be able to compete with most of the top teams, they just don't have the talent. However if they keep the games close and stop the blow outs anything can happen. In a 4th quarter close game with Kobe Bryant on your side anything can happen. I just can't stand the blow outs that should not happen.

That's the truth...although I get this feeling that the team will start playing decent ball after 10-15 games if the starting 5 can stay healthy (Lin at the 1)
nshidbaby
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

These preseason games are more about setting up our offense/defense and acclimating the younger players. It is especially important for coach Scott to figure out which lineups work the best and to manage minutes appropriately.

Overall, these blowouts are not so much as an issue now as they will be early in the regular season. I am looking for those little bright spots of hope like Ronnie Price, Wes' defense, and our lack of character issues with this current Laker squad (they all seem willing to work together...except for Jordan Clarkson).
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Ellington -- -- He continued the awful play of the last game by shooting blanks again to start this one. He just looked horrible again in the first half. He showed a little more life in the second half. We clearly (and badly) miss Swaggy on the floor in these minutes. That just changes everything for the second unit where we struggle to create from the guards and forwards…and centers. Honestly, Ellington has showed very little to make this team. I’m not familiar with his game enough to know if he can come off the pindowns and hit the long two’s off-balance. These are low percentage shots to begin with and it seems like what we set him up for. I’d really like to see more of him with his feet set and shooting squared up. Give him a few more shots like that and see what happens. Even still, there’s probably better talent out there somewhere. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 2-9 shooting (1-2 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 25 minutes. He was a -11. The Action: He missed a three off a throwback set at the top of the key. He attacked, missed a pull-up in the lane, got his miss and missed that, too. Open sideline jumper and he missed. He missed an open 19-footer off a down screen. He was blocked on a reverse. Second Half: He finally knocked down a long, fading two off the pindown screen (still tough shot selection). He picked up his dribble then lost the ball. He missed an open three set up for him out of the quarter break. He attacked after scooping up a loose ball and was fortunate to draw the blocking foul, he made both FTs. He drew FTs filling the lane with Randle leading the break, he made both. He finally drained a corner three off an inside-out sequence and swing pass where he was stationary and fired.

Anybody knows the guanrantee of his contrat? Due to the injuries, they may have to keep another shooter as the 15th man who can be cut later when others get healthier. Ellington, despite of his poor showings, is the only feasible candidate for that role. However, if a large amount of his contract would become guanranteed, it might hurt his chance of staying.

Similarly, how about the guanrantee of Henry's contract. I am afraid there is a chance he is done for this season or will miss a lot of it. Would the team be forced to keep him because of the money guanranteed?

One of the storylines of the preseason is the final cut. For me, Henry an Ellington are the 14 and 15th man on the wire.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Finally another fun game.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

nshidbaby wrote:
(they all seem willing to work together...except for Jordan Clarkson).

??????????

What is this all about?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
nshidbaby
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:

??????????

What is this all about?

You must not have been watching these preseason games.

Before he got injured, he was very aggressive in the preseason games but mostly for himself.

He is currently playing PG/SG shooting 5-20 from field with 1 assist after playing 40 minutes in two preseason games.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

nshidbaby wrote:
s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:

??????????

What is this all about?

Before he got injured, he was very aggressive in the preseason games but mostly for himself.

He is currently playing PG/SG shooting 5-20 from field with 1 assist after playing 40 minutes in two preseason games.

I didn't mind his aggressiveness. A lot of those shots he usually makes, and this the kind of confidence that raises a player's ceiling. He was usually playing the off guard in his time on the floor, but in this offense, the distinction is a bit blurred. The assists should get better once he gets used to real game speed.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

nshidbaby wrote:
s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:

??????????

What is this all about?

There is a difference in being aggressive and not willing to work together. You suggest that he is selfish. Or even harming the chemistry of the team. I see him being less selfish than Kobe or Nick. Actually I don't see him being selfish at all. And not being a headcase.
At least not yet.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, having watched a lot of Clarkson at Mizzou, I was wishing at the time he'd be more selfish. But he was the PG and deferred quite a bit. Too much for me especially in crunch time, so I'm happy he wasn't doing that now. Hopefully, now that we've gotten a little more focus in our offense... that the passing from him (and the team, really) starts to improve.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:

nshidbaby wrote:
s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:

??????????

What is this all about?

Our offense was worse than ever in those two preseason games. He created for himself most of the time because the offense was so damn stagnant / those pin downs weren't working / half of the time guys didn't recognize the play being called and just stood around.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Honestly, having watched a lot of Clarkson at Mizzou, I was wishing at the time he'd be more selfish. But he was the PG and deferred quite a bit. Too much for me especially in crunch time, so I'm happy he wasn't doing that now. Hopefully, now that we've gotten a little more focus in our offense... that the passing from him (and the team, really) starts to improve.

I watched the Mizzou games available on youtube after the Lakers drafted him, and I agree with you.

I wonder why he did not get scout's attention while playing at Tulsa. Ideal SG size with scoring. Then at Mizzou, he showed some PG skills, although obviously not a natural PG, and suddenly got recognized.

I think the scouts are just biased. For them, two guard is better than a pure SG or PG. At the end of the day, however, most players will settle into a certain role. That role for Clarkson, imo, is SG. So while it's good if he refines his PG skills, his priority should be upgrading SG skills to NBA level.
nshidbaby
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:
s_habe wrote:
nshidbaby wrote:

??????????

What is this all about?

There is a difference in being aggressive and not willing to work together. You suggest that he is selfish. Or even harming the chemistry of the team. I see him being less selfish than Kobe or Nick. Actually I don't see him being selfish at all. And not being a headcase.
At least not yet.

I didn't mean all that. I actually think he has a lot of upside and a lot of energy to add to this team.

I just meant that all of the other players seemed to be focusing more on running the offense (though broken at times) than scoring for themselves. I'm mostly putting emphasis on this because it is preseason and there is limited time to develop an in-game offense before regular season starts.

Though i'm really impressed with our teamwork, especially in these past two games against Utah and Phoenix, and hope Clarkson gets back quickly to add to the overall chemistry.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: