Are Kobe's motives for winning selfish?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are Kobe's reasons for winning selfish?
YES
20%
 20%  [ 11 ]
NO
66%
 66%  [ 35 ]
MAYBE
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 53

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Are Kobe's motives for winning selfish?

LINK

Source Questions Kobe Bryant’s Motives On Winning

Quote:
He wants to win,” says a source close to Lakers decision makers. “But only as long as he's the reason we’re winning[/b], as long as the performance is not affecting his numbers. No one works harder than Kobe. And no one sabotages his own efforts more. He’s scaring off the free agents we’re trying to get. We’re trying to surround you with talent and your ego is getting in the way.

The perception I have of Kobe is mostly media generated, I've never met him.

Judging him by interviews, body language, I sense a arrogance that could be damaging team play.

I get the impression Kobe's willing to give some ground but IMO, not enough. I don't think he's willing to allow the offense to go through another player.

I don't want to call him a glory hog but for lack of a better description that's my deep impression, one I can't shake. He wants to win but he doesn't want to be second on the ladder. Wade did and won a ship.

I don't think allowing others to take the lead would make him second, in my eyes he would still be first because he would be the conductor, the other would be first violin. I don't think he thinks like that.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

Isn't there a Kobe complaining thread for this?
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

Does anyone actually like winning even though they were not a reason for it at all?? Everyone should want to be one of the reasons for why their team wins.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Isn't there a Kobe complaining thread for this?

I posted it there first but couldn't make a poll.

That thread is mostly focused on players wanting to play with him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Does anyone actually like winning even though they were not a reason for it at all?? Everyone should want to be one of the reasons for why their team wins.

I understand your point. I'm asking if his reasons are selfish. He could win and not feel he's the reason. Share the responsibility.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

The guy who muted his game in favor of Shaq because he knew that is what it took to win? I am voting no.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The guy who muted his game in favor of Shaq because he knew that is what it took to win? I am voting no.

muted his game? he led the team in scoring every year after 2000, much to Shaq's dismay.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

Yes, muted his game in the playoffs when it mattered. We knew he could average 30+, but he knew that dominating from the inside was an easy route to titles.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, muted his game in the playoffs when it mattered. We knew he could average 30+, but he knew that dominating from the inside was an easy route to titles.

In the playoffs, for the most part (2004 Finals would be the glaring exception when he just didn't give a (bleep) anymore), that I will agree.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

"And no one sabotages his own efforts more. He’s scaring off the free agents we’re trying to get."

Who are these mythical guys who would join us if not for Kobe? I guess Kobe should step down as the man for a mid-level random.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.

Last edited by Gwyn on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

This stuff is out of hand. Exactly who was this guy or guys who was better than Kobe such that he should play second fiddle to him? Dwight? Nash?

There's only a handful of guys who even qualify for consideration over these last few years. Lebron, KD, DWade, Melo, DRose healthy version, Paul George, Dirk, Parker, CP3, Blake Griffin, Alridge maybe Lilliard, Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, Rondo, Nash healthy version, Deron Williams in theory though not in practice. KLove hasn't proven anything in playoffs and has never played in an important game so leave him out. AD is in there because of the clear gifts but they are just coming to view now, less in years past. Demarcus Cousins may get there but not so far.

So let's take Lamarcus Alridge, as a guy who I think is not a Alpha Dog type, but skill, professionalism, talent all there. Do people think Kobe would not welcome offloading #1 scorer to him? I think he'd appreciate Alridge. Just like he'd have been happy with CP3 running the show or a yesteryear healthy Nash.

The other guys are set on their teams and we didn't get them for other reasons that have nothing to do with Kobe (mostly contracts and success where they are).

I dont know Kobe neither, but you cant just say we dont have another superstar here, therefore Kobe's selfishness scared him off.

Oh wait my bad, Ramon Sessions. Clearly your point is proven OP.

Last edited by focus on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

This "alpha dog" requirement is so stupid. Was Tim Duncan ever alpha?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

only people who dont like the way Kobe operates are those who are fine with their kids little league sport not keeping score and all the kids get a participation trophy

you play a sport to WIN not to just participate
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I worded my poll wrong, I should have said motives, not reasons.

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

currently in the NBA there is only 1 player maybe that can complain about Kobe being "alpha dog" if they where on the same team, funny all the top players didnt complain when Kobe bailed their butts out in the Gold Medal game in 2008
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The man has helped us win 5 titles. So it seems his "selfishness" helped us more than hurt.

I'm fine with that.

Last edited by Gwyn on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I hate how we are having legacy conversations about him while he's still playing.

Like eulogizing someone who is still alive in the ER room.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He wants to win,” says a source close to Lakers decision makers. “But only as long as he's the reason we’re winning

The bold, italicized, underlined, is what I'm asking.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

*sigh*

When will people get it? lol

If after all these years people still have this question about Kobe, you don't need to look any further than the infamous 2012-2013 season.

Watch how Kobe completely changed his game to suit his teammates and give them the best chance to win.

Bottom line is Kobe does whatever he thinks gives his team the best chance to win The only disagreement comes when internet posters and ESPN writers disagree with his strategy.

I'd say his 5 rings are proof he has a pretty good idea of what he's doing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
*sigh*

If after all these years people still have this question about Kobe, you don't need to look any further than the infamous 2012-2013 season.

Watch how Kobe completely changed his game to suit his teammates and give them the best chance to win.

Bottom line is Kobe does whatever he thinks gives his team the best chance to win The only disagreement comes when internet posters and ESPN writers disagree with his strategy.

Great points 22. I'm not discounting his success, I'm asking what the article points to.

KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Holy (bleep) if I see one more damned excerpt from that damn Abbott article I'm going to kick something. The funny thing is, every time I hear something about it, it's from a Lakers fan site. Everyone's motive for winning is inherently selfish to a degree. Who the (bleep) cares? Why do you think people were bagging on Lebron when he left Cleveland in 2010? Because it looked like he was trying to escape the responsibilities of being an NBA superstar and potential legend.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
He wants to win,” says a source close to Lakers decision makers. “But only as long as he's the reason we’re winning

The bold, italicized, underlined, is what I'm asking.

I'm willing to bet that Kobe doesn't think poorly of his first 3 rings with Shaq.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
22 wrote:
*sigh*

Great points 22. I'm not discounting his success, I'm asking what the article points to.

Sorry Jodeke, I'm just tired of reading about Abbot's crackpot article this morning
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
This "alpha dog" requirement is so stupid. Was Tim Duncan ever alpha?

Are you kidding me? Did you start watching basketball in 2007? Tim Duncan was so much the Alpha that in Duncan's rookie year former MVP David (bleep) Robinson had to take the backseat to him. The first 3 titles the Spurs won were all Duncan being as alpha as it can get.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

With Shaq, without Shaq, with Gasol and with Coward and you will see this year too, Kobe has always adjusted his game to fit his teammates and done whatever it took to win, problem is most people who hate Kobe either because they are a Shaq or MJ or LeBron person refuse to see this and just call him a ball hog

Wanna know why Kobe shooting %'s arent as high as some other "superstars" because Kobe doesnt care about stats just winning, some of these other guys refuse to take a half court shot at end of a qtr because will mess up their stats or box out teammates to get a rebound to pad their stats or pass up a shot to just try to get an extra assist

Kobe has always judged the flow of the game and which teammates wanted it on a particular night and did what he had to.

On the Howard note how does a guy go from singing "Bad to the bone" for Kobe after another clutch win to being offended because guy wants to teach him how to win ??

A guy who doesnt have the commitment to winning the way Kobe does.

I am gonna miss Kobe because of his warrior mentallity and his will to win at all costs, the generation now I dont see it they leave games when not going their way with "cramps"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: