Everybodys favorite state is back in the news....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Everybodys favorite state is back in the news....

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/Woman-Sets-Boyfriend-on-Fire-in-Clearwater-Police-280034732.html
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

What does the state have to do with it?

Looks like a couple low-lifes did some low-life (bleep) after a bender. Are you implying that this stuff only happens in Florida? Im not quite getting you.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:

Looks like a couple low-lifes did some low-life (bleep) after a bender. Are you implying that this stuff only happens in Florida? Im not quite getting you.

How many people normally pour gasoline over another person and light them on fire....yea....thought so....
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:

Florida has earned its reputation as crazy/stupid with its notably disproportionate rate of such instances. It's past the point of being debatable.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Florida has earned its reputation as crazy/stupid with its notably disproportionate rate of such instances. It's past the point of being debatable.

Well i guess thats that.

So because a few crazies did some stuff in Florida, now its "earned its reputation as crazy/stupid with its notably disproportionate rate of such instances." Isnt that a hasty generalization? Have you done the research to substantiate this claim? Or are you basing it off of blurry recollection of media reports over the last couple years? TM? This crazy couple? So youve analyzed similar events in places like Chicago? Baltimore? Cleveland? Oakland?

All im trying to point out here is that no state or region has a monopoly on crazy, and for a forum where most members are quick to jump on anyone who throws labels around....i find this interesting.

As an example, if i post a story on how many people are shot in Chicago every weekend on Monday morning the following week, how long do you think it would take for the usual suspects to come out and call me a racist, and tell me that shootings and violence arent endemic to Chicago? Lets keep an even keel. Or maybe you just need more exposure to events from other states? Its funny how we rationalize to ourselves the very behaviour we chastise others for all the time.

We seem to love posting about the terrible things cops do all the time. Are all cops bad too?
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

How many people normally pour gasoline over another person and light them on fire....yea....thought so....

Im assuming that question was rhetorical, so ive got one of my own. The man in Indiana that was just caught killing and dumping women in abandoned homes, he was from Texas. So which states fault is he? Texas or Indiana?

Thought so.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Didn't even have to open it to know Florida.

LG needs a "Greatest Hits of Florida" thread.

Man on stuffed animal should be hit #1.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

For some reason, weird news from Florida makes headlines.

But if you think that California is somehow immune from weirdo wackos then you're living in fantasy land. We've got more than our fair share here.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Im assuming that question was rhetorical, so ive got one of my own. The man in Indiana that was just caught killing and dumping women in abandoned homes, he was from Texas. So which states fault is he? Texas or Indiana?

Thought so.

You must be new to the internet...its pretty much a consensus on the internet that Florida is where crazy stuff goes down. You can pretty much google it to your hearts content. But I guess you must enjoy being the resident contrarian around here.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Thought so.

You must be new to the internet...its pretty much a consensus on the internet that Florida is where crazy stuff goes down. You can pretty much google it to your hearts content. But I guess you must enjoy being the resident contrarian around here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381998/The-Silliness-State-Writer-tries-work-Florida-bizarre-news-state.html

There is no scientific backing, but clearly crazies in Florida is something other than a Lakersground obsession
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
C M B wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Well i guess thats that.

So because a few crazies did some stuff in Florida, now its "earned its reputation as crazy/stupid with its notably disproportionate rate of such instances." Isnt that a hasty generalization? Have you done the research to substantiate this claim? Or are you basing it off of blurry recollection of media reports over the last couple years? TM? This crazy couple? So youve analyzed similar events in places like Chicago? Baltimore? Cleveland? Oakland?

All im trying to point out here is that no state or region has a monopoly on crazy, and for a forum where most members are quick to jump on anyone who throws labels around....i find this interesting.

As an example, if i post a story on how many people are shot in Chicago every weekend on Monday morning the following week, how long do you think it would take for the usual suspects to come out and call me a racist, and tell me that shootings and violence arent endemic to Chicago? Lets keep an even keel. Or maybe you just need more exposure to events from other states? Its funny how we rationalize to ourselves the very behaviour we chastise others for all the time.

We seem to love posting about the terrible things cops do all the time. Are all cops bad too?

Aw, geez. Is this what we're gonna do today? We're gonna pretend that you're the guy who respects data and empirical evidence? lol Get outta town, Jack.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
C M B wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Well i guess thats that.

Crazy? Prolly not. Stupid? Mos def! At least twice known state wide incidents of known stupidity that occurred in 2000 and 2004
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
C M B wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Well i guess thats that.

Two words Hal-Dol.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

Just say he beat you and the jury will let you off.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

I think the difference is that weird in CA is not weird. LOL.

I mean, I want to say Batman got beat up by Mr. Incredible yesterday in Hollywood and no one really bats an eye.

Weird ish man.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

But if you think that California is somehow immune from weirdo wackos then you're living in fantasy land. We've got more than our fair share here.

Of course, though having lived in both regions, Florida tops my chart for craziness and not just of the news-making kind.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
C M B wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Well i guess thats that.

Two words Hal-Dol.

DELETED, NOT BY JUST-MING

Last edited by shansen008 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Florida or Russia?

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114448/florida-or-russia-dolphin-thefts-bar-fights-and-mermaid-injuries

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114993/its-back-florida-or-russia-part-deux

shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

South Korea?

shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Those crazy Georgians! I mean, who shoots a baby in the face because mom wont give up her purse?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/12/demarquise-elkins-sentence_n_3912590.html

Tennessee, what was that about lighting people on fire?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/christian-newsom/they-did-some-really-nasty-things.html

Finding these took about 30 seconds. As i said, the State has nothing to do with it. Could it be the weather? Florida is warm. Go look up what happens when the Santa Annas are blowing in southern cali. Maybe its urban legend, but i seem to remember growing up there that the news said violent crime rates go up when that warm wind starts blowing.

Oh that reminds me, speaking of Santa Anna! Anyone remember this li'l diddy?

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/01/crosby_santa_ana_murder.php
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
Those crazy Georgians! I mean, who shoots a baby in the face because mom wont give up her purse?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/12/demarquise-elkins-sentence_n_3912590.html

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/christian-newsom/they-did-some-really-nasty-things.html

Finding these took about 30 seconds. As i said, the State has nothing to do with it. Could it be the weather? Florida is warm. Go look up what happens when the Santa Annas are blowing in southern cali. Maybe its urban legend, but i seem to remember growing up there that the news said violent crime rates go up when that warm wind starts blowing.

Florida being crazy is just an internet thing (Fark even has a Florida tag). You're taking it too seriously.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Florida being crazy is just an internet thing (Fark even has a Florida tag). You're taking it too seriously.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

Florida has more then our fair share + their fair share. Thats why they are always in the news for something wacky. Its the south, they have an alwful public school system(not that many are great but their's is worse then bad..lol, mixed in with some of the poorest folks in the US in certain areas in florida.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

In order to think that Florida doesn't lead the nation in bizarre and disgusting news stories, one of two things would have to happen:

1. You live under a very large boulder you can't crawl out from under.

2. You live under the even larger boulder next to it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: