Lin / Davis combination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Do you guys think the Lin/Davis duo can be as good as Stockton/Malone? IMO, they will be even better. Kobe can be our Jeff Hornacek. Championship is as good as ours if we play with the same gritty style as the Sloan Jazz.

Good one.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
MJST wrote:
Currently Lin is needed for the offensive firepower of the bench along with the combination of him and Davis while Nick Young is out. But the most important thing is he's finishing games.

I disagree. Our offense is stagnant with the current starters. We can't force Kobe to shoulder as much of the load as he has been. Lin needs to start. Clarkson and Randle can both get into the paint with the ball off the bench, but right now we barely have that in the starting lineup.

The benefit of Price is his defense and the fact he's actually looking to pass the ball now as opposed to how he looked the first 3 games. His defense helps the pace of the game and the ball still moved around with our starting unit. I think the most important thing is that Ronnie had two 10 assist games with Kobe starting and that was important.

But most importantly it was our bench that really opened up the game for us and who wound up finishing the game.

If the starters can keep the pace of the game from getting out of control and our bench puts us over the top it's probably a solid idea.

I wouldn't want to split up the Lin/Davis tandem with our bench. If we moved Price to the bench it probably 'would' get stagnant and that means starters would have to return sooner.

With the pace that Byron wants to run with the first and 2nd unit it would make the most sense to keep Lin with the bench at least until Nick Young comes back to add some firepower to the bench unit, because otherwise there'd be no one other than Randle on the bench capable of getting their own shot while Nick's out and we can't put that on him every night.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Lin needs to start. Benching your 2nd best player doesn't make any sense. As Magic Johnson said in his Twitter last night: "Jeremy Lin is going to be a good starting PG for the Lakers w/ his ability to get in the lane and create shots for himself & his teammates."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Price is having a nice 3-4 game preseason run. His offense will come down to earth but his defense should continue.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakersprime wrote:
Lin needs to start. Benching your 2nd best player doesn't make any sense. As Magic Johnson said in his Twitter last night: "Jeremy Lin is going to be a good starting PG for the Lakers w/ his ability to get in the lane and create shots for himself & his teammates."

Yeah but you need to consider that our bench is missing a scorer and a guy that can get his own shot.

Right now Jeremy acts as a catalyst for getting the bench going and his chemistry with Davis is absolutely fantastic. The bench needs him right now in the absense of Young more so than the starting lineup whom handle themselves pretty well with Price's defense.

When Young comes back Lin will probably start.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rawr wrote:
MJST wrote:
Currently Lin is needed for the offensive firepower of the bench along with the combination of him and Davis while Nick Young is out. But the most important thing is he's finishing games.

I disagree. Our offense is stagnant with the current starters. We can't force Kobe to shoulder as much of the load as he has been. Lin needs to start. Clarkson and Randle can both get into the paint with the ball off the bench, but right now we barely have that in the starting lineup.

The benefit of Price is his defense and the fact he's actually looking to pass the ball now as opposed to how he looked the first 3 games. His defense helps the pace of the game and the ball still moved around with our starting unit. I think the most important thing is that Ronnie had two 10 assist games with Kobe starting and that was important.

But most importantly it was our bench that really opened up the game for us and who wound up finishing the game.

If the starters can keep the pace of the game from getting out of control and our bench puts us over the top it's probably a solid idea.

I wouldn't want to split up the Lin/Davis tandem with our bench. If we moved Price to the bench it probably 'would' get stagnant and that means starters would have to return sooner.

With the pace that Byron wants to run with the first and 2nd unit it would make the most sense to keep Lin with the bench at least until Nick Young comes back to add some firepower to the bench unit, because otherwise there'd be no one other than Randle on the bench capable of getting their own shot while Nick's out and we can't put that on him every night.

That right there is exactly the opposite of what you want to do. The starting unit should put a stamp on the game early and you hope your bench can keep the pace and not let the game get out of control. IMO, Kobe and Lin are the best players on this team. Put them out there together and work out the rest of the unit in terms of fit. If the bench is not performing, go further down the bench and look for performers.

You want to turn them into counterpunchers even before fixing the initial attack.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

The other half of the combo: Big Ed Davis

Ed Davis has made 15 of 19 field goals; a whopping 78%!!

He leads the NBA in FG percentage through four preseason games.

gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I love the lin/davis combo and I hope lin/davis/randle are our building blocks post kobe. However I dont think Lin starting with Kobe is a great idea. They both need the ball.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin / Davis combination

yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Jeremy Lin to Ed Davis PNR combo is becoming a lethal weapon and a beautiful thing to watch. I look forward to many more yet to come this season and hopefully beyond.

Lin/Davis PNR

Yup. But teams will scout it better. Would like a nice counter play just in case teams take that away from them.

oh oh oh i know! have KOBE FUQING BRYANT as the release man on the wing--that usually gives the defense something to think about.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Do you guys think the Lin/Davis duo can be as good as Stockton/Malone? IMO, they will be even better. Kobe can be our Jeff Hornacek. Championship is as good as ours if we play with the same gritty style as the Sloan Jazz.

let's not get crazy
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind Lin coming off the bench if it's working - leading to wins.

Team looks lost when Kobe and Lin are both not playing. Maybe that will change as time goes on.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

They were one MJ jumper away from winning it so....

brunel wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Good one.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

hopandskip wrote:
I don't mind Lin coming off the bench if it's working - leading to wins.

Team looks lost when Kobe and Lin are both not playing. Maybe that will change as time goes on.

yeah it WON'T work once you get to the regular season and you're facing 1st units the majority of the game.
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin / Davis combination

pio2u wrote:

Lin/Davis PNR

"Ed does his job in terms of just getting me open and then rolling hard and finding the open gap," Lin said. "Ed is one of those guys where, if he comes and sets 20 pick-and-rolls, and the weak side is there 20 times in a row and he doesn't get the ball, he'll still continue to do his job and get me open and roll to the right spot. That's just unselfishness and him being smart."

Unlike a certain teammate of his last year
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rawr wrote:
MJST wrote:

That was basically Pincus's point. http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-jeremy-lin-lakers-start-20141023-story.html
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin / Davis combination

Charisma wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Lin/Davis PNR

"Ed does his job in terms of just getting me open and then rolling hard and finding the open gap," Lin said. "Ed is one of those guys where, if he comes and sets 20 pick-and-rolls, and the weak side is there 20 times in a row and he doesn't get the ball, he'll still continue to do his job and get me open and roll to the right spot. That's just unselfishness and him being smart."

I was about to post that. Thanks for posting!
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin / Davis combination

yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Jeremy Lin to Ed Davis PNR combo is becoming a lethal weapon and a beautiful thing to watch. I look forward to many more yet to come this season and hopefully beyond.

Lin/Davis PNR

Yup. But teams will scout it better. Would like a nice counter play just in case teams take that away from them.

yinoma, they have an alternative play, it is called Rock & Roll
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Jeremy Lin is a pleasant surprise. I hope he stays healthy. If he and Kobe are compatible we'll be a team that will surprise some teams and please Laker fans.

Yes, we definitely will surprise some people and teams.

jodeke wrote:
Looks like Lin is playing like he did in New York. It doesn't seem like he's under pressure like he was in Houston.

Yes. I think he has matured from his experience in Houston. It seems that he put too much pressure on himself to recreate Linsanity in Houston. He has wisely decided that he want to create a fresh chapter In LA, no more Linsanity. I think having great people -- Kobe, Byron, Nash, Lakers' greats around him will also help. I hope and foresee that Magic will also take him under his wings ...

Last edited by cheesysapien on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Jeremy Lin is a pleasant surprise. I hope he stays healthy. If he and Kobe are compatible we'll be a team that will surprise some teams and please Laker fans.

Yes, we definitely will surprise some people and teams ...

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH SMH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wait, I agree that we will though Perhaps because of the "..."? That is just my writing style. I deleted it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
jodeke wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wait, I agree that we will though Perhaps because of the "..."? That is just my writing style. I deleted it

No prob. I misinterpreted some people and some teams. I read people to mean you.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeremy Lin and Ed Davis have been a great combo for the Lakers.
Here's what they had to say about it, along with some video analysis of their pick-and-roll chemistry.

Quote:
It's a natural fit for both players, and they're just starting to refine their two-man game timing.
Coincidentally, both Lin and Davis are also trying out for larger roles and their next contract.

PICK & ROLL LINK
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin / Davis combination

cheesysapien wrote:
Charisma wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Lin/Davis PNR

I was about to post that. Thanks for posting!

The two seem to be very complimentary towards each other in interviews. That certainly bodes well for this duo this season. Other teams will scout them out, but they will adapt.
CLUFan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

It will be tough for teams to beat us if our bench can score 40 a nite.
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:

We just wasted the preseason to get our best PG + Ed Davis to gel with the starting lineup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: