Jeanie Buss "Any free agent that is afraid to play with Kobe is probably a loser"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

Could be wrong but didn't Jeannie defend Dwight and say "we (as in Lakers) failed Dwight" as in to imply that Dad and a certain set of moves and inconsistencies in the FO led to his leaving? BTW, I don't think Dwight was ever afraid to play with Kobe. If he were, he would have killed a Laker trade right away. There's a huge difference in not wanting to play with Kobe and not liking to play with Kobe right away. Lamar Odom for example needed time to get used to playing with Kobe. Shaq the same. There's no reason if Kobe were in his prime, Dwight and he couldn't have had great success. You don't have to love each other to be able to play and be teammates. The decision Dwight faced was to play in the role of being the younger star leading a team that wasn't going anywhere since Kobe was past his prime and injured while MDA coached. It wasn't exactly say the same as 2006 where you'd have a prime Kobe and Phil coaching. I don't think Dwight or any FA walks under those circumstances no matter how much they don't get along with Kobe or mesh personality wise.

Good post. If Kobe were younger I think Howard stays, no matter the personality differences.

It was never about kobe... thats what the Media keep saying but Dwight never ever said it.

Dwight was asked by S A Smith, "If Lakers Hire Phil Jackson, would you have stayed" he answered "Yes" with out even blinking.

it was about the MDA hiring.

Dwight said it, Jeanie said it...

who would you believe.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

Could be wrong but didn't Jeannie defend Dwight and say "we (as in Lakers) failed Dwight" as in to imply that Dad and a certain set of moves and inconsistencies in the FO led to his leaving? BTW, I don't think Dwight was ever afraid to play with Kobe. If he were, he would have killed a Laker trade right away. There's a huge difference in not wanting to play with Kobe and not liking to play with Kobe right away. Lamar Odom for example needed time to get used to playing with Kobe. Shaq the same. There's no reason if Kobe were in his prime, Dwight and he couldn't have had great success. You don't have to love each other to be able to play and be teammates. The decision Dwight faced was to play in the role of being the younger star leading a team that wasn't going anywhere since Kobe was past his prime and injured while MDA coached. It wasn't exactly say the same as 2006 where you'd have a prime Kobe and Phil coaching. I don't think Dwight or any FA walks under those circumstances no matter how much they don't get along with Kobe or mesh personality wise.

Good post. If Kobe were younger I think Howard stays, no matter the personality differences.

It was never about kobe... thats what the Media keep saying but Dwight never ever said it.

Dwight was asked by S A Smith, "If Lakers Hire Phil Jackson, would you have stayed" he answered "Yes" with out even blinking.

who would you believe.

Stephen A also said Kobe was the reason Dwight left. Since he's someone that talks to Kobe a lot and NEVER would say a bad word about him, I believe it.

All of the reports in Dwight's camp were that Dwight felt Phil would have reined Kobe in and allowed him to be the star. We all know that no matter who the coach was, it would have been Kobes team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11750382
The turning point for him was hiring MDA over PJ. Dwight felt that the Lakers chose a coach whose system didn't fit his game. His decision was to go someplace else because of that. Every FA has earned the right to make decisions that are best for them. Dwight made a decision that he felt was best for his career given that our coach was MDA. Dwight felt that we were building around Steve Nash and not him.

But he needed 48 hours to get medical clearance and to tell his family. Jim decided to go in another direction before Phil had a chance to clear things.

ffs i want to kill Jim

Wow! We let Dwight go so we could keep MDA ("the future of the NBA"). And MDA still ended up leaving us the following off season. That is a HORRIBLE blemish on the front office.

Glad Jeanie cleared up that Phil Jackson 48 hours situation. Some have argued Phil didn't want the job because he didn't say yes his first convo with the FO. That shouldn't be argued anymore.

No, we didn't let Dwight go.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

Jeanie actually defended Dwight, she understood why Dwight wanted to leave the Lakers. MDA instead of PJ, she understood that Dwight felt that MDA would not be a good coach for him.

That shows how clueless Dwight is.

And how clueless Pau is, and how clueless Melo is, and how clueless Jamison is, and how clueless Kaman is... I know I'm forgetting others... but you get the point

You obviously don't. Top P&R big, coach who relies heavily on the P&R. Nice fit there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Love Jeanie, and have always thought she was the most qualified to run and be the face of the franchise, but her comments were unprofessional and just not very smart.

Jeannie is too emotional and that is why she would be horrible making basketball personnel decisions. Running the business side is perfect for her, she is a likeable person and there is a ton of PR required for that. To answer a question asked earlier, no, I could not see Dr. Buss going on a media blitz like this. It just wasn't who he was.

What are you basin your opinion on that Jeanie is too emotional, very chauvinistic view unless you have first hand knowledge of her excessive emotions.

Considering she has said that herself, she is my source of information.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

Jeanie actually defended Dwight, she understood why Dwight wanted to leave the Lakers. MDA instead of PJ, she understood that Dwight felt that MDA would not be a good coach for him.

You are seriously under estimating Dwight, he was smart not playing for MDA when he had the choice. MDA is a loser.

Actually I was about the only one here who nailed who Dwight was before we traded for him. I got to see a lot of people eating crow over that trade thread.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
Her father was still alive. She had no power to hire PJ until he passed. Also, PJ only wanted to coach because Jerry Buss was ill... he doens't want to coach anymore. He wants to be in the front office. As she put it: "It's a physical problem for him now. The travelling is too much."

She defended the organization BUT put Jim on notice too... very clear to me that he's on the clock to get results. It's a 3-year clock, granted. But i assume that she needs to see progress. If the ship is sinking after 2 years, he's gone imo.

I don't where you came up with PJ only wanted to coach because Dr. Buss was ill. It's true PJ does not want to coach anymore, he is now in charge of the team he played for, but he would have coached the Lakers one last time before Jimmy hired MDA, Jeanie has confirmed that. If you remember Jeanie was livid with her brother.

No, Jeannie confirmed that Phil wanted to check with his doctors to see if he would be capable of coaching again. That is as far as it went, we don't know if they said yes or no. That was his whole reluctance, he didn't know if he would be up to coach again physically.

Jeanie was using PJ wanting to check with his Doctors as part of the criteria that PJ was using to evaluate if he wanted to coach again. PJ was going to say yes, you know that.

No I don't, and neither do you. If so then Jeannie probably would have mentioned it. We also don't know if Phil's medical team would have cleared him to coach.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I happened to hear the supposed interview by that ass clown collin this morning.

First of all, what a load of crap that he tapes the questions, where his tone is clearly more docile, than he responds to the tape, on air, live, fully knowing he has the upper hand to twist things because Jeannie isnt there to interrupt or clarify.

I didnt like him much before, but the guy came of like a bigger jackass than ever. Jeannie has not once, that i can recall, come off as an arrogant unapprochable person, and Collin was clearly trying to pounce on her taped comments.

If I recall correctly, he said that was the first time they met. Im wondering if Jeannie knew the sleeze bag that Collin is. He even mentioned that Ireland had (im paraphrasing here) gotten on him about the Kobe thing.... Poor COllin.

Lakers chose to move to ESPN, and ESPN is that back stabbing psycho girlfriend.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Jeanie just confirmed everything that was thought about Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, Dwight leaving and not hiring Phil.

A lot people should be eating crow right now.

Just out of curiosity, what did Jeannie say that made you think that, USC?

Dwight left because of Kobe - Jeanie just confirmed that he left because of the coaching decision.

Jerry Buss wanted MDA over Phil and not Jim - Jeanie just confirmed that it was not only Jim that wanted MDA over Phil, but Mitch also. Confirms that Jerry would have went with whatever his son wanted. There was also belief that Mitch didn't agree with the decision, now we know he was 100% behind it.

Phil didn't want to coach - Jeanie confirmed that not only was Phil ready to coach this team, he wanted to coach the team for Jerry to win one before he died. Which makes the situation all the more sadder.

All these people that argued til their fingers bled, swore up and down that Phil didn't want to coach the team, Dwight left not because of MDA, but because of Kobe, and that it was Jerry Buss behind the Phil decision and not Jim. All these people need to eat crow.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

And how clueless Pau is, and how clueless Melo is, and how clueless Jamison is, and how clueless Kaman is... I know I'm forgetting others... but you get the point

You obviously don't. Top P&R big, coach who relies heavily on the P&R. Nice fit there.

Pau ran pick and roll for two championship teams, a silver medal olympic team, and is doing so now on the bulls.
Jamison was a pick and pop threat for years.
But I agree Melo and Kaman aren't known for being above average pick and roll players.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11750382
The turning point for him was hiring MDA over PJ. Dwight felt that the Lakers chose a coach whose system didn't fit his game. His decision was to go someplace else because of that. Every FA has earned the right to make decisions that are best for them. Dwight made a decision that he felt was best for his career given that our coach was MDA. Dwight felt that we were building around Steve Nash and not him.

But he needed 48 hours to get medical clearance and to tell his family. Jim decided to go in another direction before Phil had a chance to clear things.

ffs i want to kill Jim

Wow! We let Dwight go so we could keep MDA ("the future of the NBA"). And MDA still ended up leaving us the following off season. That is a HORRIBLE blemish on the front office.

Glad Jeanie cleared up that Phil Jackson 48 hours situation. Some have argued Phil didn't want the job because he didn't say yes his first convo with the FO. That shouldn't be argued anymore.

No, we didn't let Dwight go.

Jeanie said Dwight wanted MDA gone. That's why he didn't choose us in free agency. Not Kobe. I agree with the head of the Los Angeles Lakers. The FO didn't acquiesce to the request and that's why Dwight left.

We chose a coach over a top 10 player (a dumb decision in its own right). Then we had that coach leave us the following offseason (making the previous decision worse).
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) dwight howard.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

Stephen A also said Kobe was the reason Dwight left. Since he's someone that talks to Kobe a lot and NEVER would say a bad word about him, I believe it.

All of the reports in Dwight's camp were that Dwight felt Phil would have reined Kobe in and allowed him to be the star. We all know that no matter who the coach was, it would have been Kobes team.

Do you honestly believe that Dwight would have chosen the lakers if Kobe retired while MDA was still the coach? Seriously?

I followed this Dwight Free agency thing, didn't slept for 2 weeks because of it, reading all the flash news updates about it. one thing I know, 99% of them where not true. thats all.

if it didn't come from Woj its not true. specially Brussard, anything he says is a load of crap.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you guys like love the bravado all you want, fact is Lakers is the biggest loser if no one wants to come here because of Kobe.

If no one wanted to come here because of Kobe you would be right.

But many players do want to come here, and one of the reasons is to be able to play alongside and learn from Kobe.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

Do you honestly believe that Dwight would have chosen the lakers if Kobe retired while MDA was still the coach? Seriously?

I followed this Dwight Free agency thing, didn't slept for 2 weeks because of it, reading all the flash news updates about it. one thing I know, 99% of them where not true. thats all.

if it didn't come from Woj its not true. specially Brussard, anything he says is a load of crap.

Absolutely. The Lakers had already planned on Dwight being their future. With a lot of capspace, the location, and him being the star, why would he have left?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

Absolutely. The Lakers had already planned on Dwight being their future. With a lot of capspace, the location, and him being the star, why would he have left?

They did? How does hiring Mike D'Antoni and then refusing to fire him to adhere to Dwight's wishes tell you that they "planned" anything?

Saying someone is your future is one thing, actually doing it is something else. And they did nothing but drive him away.

I actually think it's laughable that you think Dwight re-signs to a barren roster to play for a coach that he does like and an organization that doesn't listen to him. And he does this why? Because "we're the Lakers"? Why would he leave? What the?
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

Because look at the roster. you have Old Pau Gasol (20m), Old Meta World Peace(7-8m), injured Nash (9m), and a coach you don't like playing for... that sounds better than Houston? if you add dwight (22m) there is still no capspace lol
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
Her father was still alive. She had no power to hire PJ until he passed. Also, PJ only wanted to coach because Jerry Buss was ill... he doens't want to coach anymore. He wants to be in the front office. As she put it: "It's a physical problem for him now. The travelling is too much."

She defended the organization BUT put Jim on notice too... very clear to me that he's on the clock to get results. It's a 3-year clock, granted. But i assume that she needs to see progress. If the ship is sinking after 2 years, he's gone imo.

And yet after Dr. Buss passes away Jeannie still didn't hire Phil either to coach or in the FO.
Because they had hired MDA and PJ only wanted to coach the Lakers in support of Dr Buss and to try and get him the Lakers' 17th ring. That's exactly what Jeanie said. Don't twist it around. After Dr Buss passed and given the fiasco of the MdA hiring, i'm sure PJ had no intention of coaching the Lakers or anyone else for that matter.

And please... PJ himself was angry that they didn't wait because he got the medical clearance at the time.

I've defended Jim Buss a lot. But this is unforgivable. Clown mistake.

Jeanie even said that she asked Jim and Mitch if the was any room for Pj in the front office before he left for the Knicks.... and they said no. "Too many cooks in the kitchen" as she put it. At least this one is understandable and logical. Not hiring PJ as the coach was pathetic.

Jeanie is setting it up so that, if Jim/Mith fail, she can bring PJ back and sweep these guys aside come 2-3 years.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

They did? How does hiring Mike D'Antoni and then refusing to fire him to adhere to Dwight's wishes tell you that they "planned" anything?

Saying someone is your future is one thing, actually doing it is something else. And they did nothing but drive him away.

I actually think it's laughable that you think Dwight re-signs to a barren roster to play for a coach that he does like and an organization that doesn't listen to him. And he does this why? Because "we're the Lakers"? Why would he leave? What the?

When they first traded for Dwight, it was believed that Kobe was on his way out. Remember how Kobe talked about showing him the ropes and then handing over the keys? Once Kobe announced that he was going to be playing more years, the Lakers were in no position to cater to Dwight, especially when one of his alleged requests was amnestying Kobe.

Without Kobe, Dwight would have been the star and he would have been able to try to recruit some friends with the capspace. I don't think he would have taken less and gone to Houston if he could have had it all here in LA.
urbanturban
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I'd give blood to see Jeanie slap Abbot....

I would imagine it would go pretty much like this:

Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

When they first traded for Dwight, it was believed that Kobe was on his way out. Remember how Kobe talked about showing him the ropes and then handing over the keys? Once Kobe announced that he was going to be playing more years, the Lakers were in no position to cater to Dwight, especially when one of his alleged requests was amnestying Kobe.

Without Kobe, Dwight would have been the star and he would have been able to try to recruit some friends with the capspace. I don't think he would have taken less and gone to Houston if he could have had it all here in LA.

This is all hypothetical and based on pure speculation.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

Again, if Dwight signed with lakers 2013, there is still no cap space lol...

Pau (20m)
Nash (9m)

the rest of the roster (10-15m)

Dwight (22m)

Cap is at 66m, that leaves you with what 5m? which star would take 5m in salary? lol

So how many of Dwight friends have joined him in Houston?....

?

He has a friend in Houston in Parsons, and guess what, he is not there anymore lol....
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
LOVE IT!!!!
GO Jeanne!
The nba, BSPN an all out war against Kobe and the Lakers. All started by crooked David Stern.

Can't call him crooked if he helped us in 02

You're a pseudo-fan if you believe that. Where was he in game five if he was so hellbent on helping us?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

who would you believe.

This is all hypothetical and based on pure speculation.

And it will continue to be hypothetical and speculative. That's what a "what if..." discussion is all about
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you guys like love the bravado all you want, fact is Lakers is the biggest loser if no one wants to come here because of Kobe.

Every party needs a pooper
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18
Jump to: