Grantland: Kobe Bryant, The Perfect Teammate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Grantland: Kobe Bryant, The Perfect Teammate

One of the best Kobe pieces I've read this week. I only wish it were longer. Definitely encapsulated everything I've read and thought this week. Hopefully Abbott gave it a look. Mods, if you feel this post/article is too similar to others, feel free to merge.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/triangle-all-stars-kobe-bryant-the-perfect-teammate/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For the rest of us, we can look at it like this: If this final two-year era of Kobe is a tax after 15 years of winning, it’s absolutely worth it.

That's the money quote and how I've come to finally accept the Kobe Extension.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Same here. For perspective, Kobe made about $30 million from 2000-2002. Big picture, the $48.5 million is well worth it when you consider things like that. We were always going to have to deal with a rebuild. That the Lakers rebuilding period is being treated as the greatest debacle in the history of sports is amusing and annoying.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Same here. For perspective, Kobe made about $30 million from 2000-2002. Big picture, the $48.5 million is well worth it when you consider things like that. We were always going to have to deal with a rebuild. That the Lakers rebuilding period is being treated as the greatest debacle in the history of sports is amusing and annoying.

Same with MWP. I would take a game 7 win against the Celts where MWP went 20/5/5 and take the 3 bad years of MWP all day.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

god dude ima cry when he hangs em up.

there are so many emotions. Part of me wants him to win the 6th so bad, but the reality of our team makes you think it will probably not happen. So sad.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Wow, now that is a great article about Kobe.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

there are so many emotions. Part of me wants him to win the 6th so bad, but the reality of our team makes you think it will probably not happen. So sad.

I cried in front of all my friends (non-Laker fans) when he tore his achilles. Everyone was laughing at me but no (bleep) were given. I thought he was done right then and there. And I'll probably cry again too during his last game as a Laker haha
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
marga86 wrote:

I cried in front of all my friends (non-Laker fans) when he tore his achilles. Everyone was laughing at me but no (bleep) were given. I thought he was done right then and there. And I'll probably cry again too during his last game as a Laker haha

With all those tears shed, you couldn't have chosen a more fitting avatar.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Wow! An article written by someone with real perspective.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
marga86 wrote:

With all those tears shed, you couldn't have chosen a more fitting avatar.

Took me a second . . . but,
LakersJunkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

A writer who gets it. You don't have to worship at the church of Kobe to acknowledge what the man has done, and that he is not the epitome of all that is evil in the world.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Definitely shed tears when it was reported that it was an Achilles, and watching Kobe's post-game interview, too. I also thought it was the end, and it definitely didn't seem fair for the career of one of the best ever to end that way. Which is why, no matter how ugly things get, I'm going to be happy if he goes out on his own terms in these last two years.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The NBA isn’t science, it’s literature. And we’re reading the final chapter of one of the greatest characters ever. Believe whatever you want. But don’t pretend this hasn’t been worth the investment.

Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Great read, i'll be paying attention to this Andrew Sharp guy from now on Kobe deserves the love, after such a turbulent career.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

That Denzel clip from Training Day is perfect I could see Kobe going out like that. Good article.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-windows-kobe-bryants-last-stand/

i'd already posted this article on another thread, but here it goes. Not that im trying to fool you and implying that grantland love the Lakers and Kobe, cause that's not the case - it's Bill Simmons site, after all - but they're usually fair and prefer to talk about the beauty of the game of basketball and about the stories, than to enter in this gossip issues that abbott and all the other haters rant about
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

i'd already posted this article on another thread, but here it goes. Not that im trying to fool you and implying that grantland love the Lakers and Kobe, cause that's not the case - it's Bill Simmons site, after all - but they're usually fair and prefer to talk about the beauty of the game of basketball and about the stories, than to enter in this gossip issues that abbott and all the other haters rant about

Contrary to what some people believe, the Kobe articles over the years have been overwhelmingly positive. It has been Henry Abbott and John Hollinger vs the thousands of other people worldwide that write NBA articles. A few people prefer to only focus on Abbott and Hollinger for whatever reason.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I salute you, Master Assassin!

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Contrary to what some people believe, the Kobe articles over the years have been overwhelmingly positive. It has been Henry Abbott and John Hollinger vs the thousands of other people worldwide that write NBA articles. A few people prefer to only focus on Abbott and Hollinger for whatever reason.

Well, there has been a lot to be positive about in recent years, so that's only natural.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject:

I think Kobe says things that make sense to him and his fans, but may be off putting to non-Kobe fans. Such as when he said that he'd rather retire than average 18 ppg. You can see how something like that would irk Abbott or the Team-Ball Illuminati. But to Kobe and his fans it makes total sense; to others it's a sign of selfishness.

Kobe will always be a lightening rod of praise/criticism. I think he's just built that way.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

That was a great piece. Thanks.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing this.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kobe says things that make sense to him and his fans, but may be off putting to non-Kobe fans. Such as when he said that he'd rather retire than average 18 ppg. You can see how something like that would irk Abbott or the Team-Ball Illuminati. But to Kobe and his fans it makes total sense; to others it's a sign of selfishness.

Kobe will always be a lightening rod of praise/criticism. I think he's just built that way.

Agreed.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

Agreed with most of the article, disagreed with some of it, it's a good read mostly.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
For the rest of us, we can look at it like this: If this final two-year era of Kobe is a tax after 15 years of winning, it’s absolutely worth it.

That's the money quote and how I've come to finally accept the Kobe Extension.

Same. He deserves every penny. And I've really appreciated his statements on how players aren't the only ones who should be taking paycuts in pursuit of championships. If your team isn't making enough profit, then sell it for a billion dollars.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: