Derek Fisher: I'm Not A Phil Guy, I'm A Team Guy

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Derek Fisher: I'm Not A Phil Guy, I'm A Team Guy

Quote:
Derek Fisher distances himself from Phil Jackson, Knicks coach says he isn’t ‘Phil’s guy ... I am the team’s guy’

The Knicks' rookie head coach has made strides to get out of Jackson's shadow since taking the job in June. He said Thursday that he's not worried if 'people see me as Phil's guy or my own guy' and that his focus is 'on helping these guys figure out how to win games.'

BY Mitch Abramson
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, October 23, 2014, 5:25 PM

When Phil Jackson was hired as Knicks president, it was assumed that whomever he picked as coach would be nothing more than a Zen Master-clone, toeing the sideline with triangle philosophies piped in from the front office.

But in the months since Derek Fisher was chosen to lead the team in June, he has quietly tried to distance himself from Jackson, softly declaring himself his own man ('I'm not Phil Jackson") and saying he’s not necessarily a Phil disciple — even if that's sort of what he is.

Fisher did so again on Thursday, saying he doesn't really see himself as "Phil's guy," just a day before the final preseason game against the Raptors in Montreal.

"Yeah, I don't know if I can get into how other people may see me," Fisher said of whether he's OK with coaching in Jackson's shadow. "It is not a game that I probably will get into at all. So I won't necessarily see myself as Phil's guy. I am the team's guy."

It's a fascinating dance — trying to carve out his own identity while also paying lip service to the man who hired him — and it's one that Fisher has done subtly and successfully.

"In terms of whether people see me as Phil's guy or my own guy, I won't spend a lot of time on it," Fisher went on. "I have to stay focused on helping these guys figure out how to win games."

When Fisher talks, he does so with a knowing attitude. He's confident without being cocky, cagey while also being sincere.

But Fisher is a rookie. He has never coached at any level.

And he was hired in large part because he won five championships with the Jackson-coached Lakers.

Jackson won six more titles with Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, establishing himself as one of the greatest coaches in the history of sports.

The perception — fair or not — is that Jackson is spoon-feeding him information as he gets his feet wet.

Fisher was asked if it is harder to establish an identity with Jackson's reputation looming over everything he does.

"No, I don't think it is more challenging to do so," Fisher said. "I think just as a new head coach, I think that's the challenging (thing), establishing your identity and this is new. My identity, I am creating it as we go along here in terms of my expectations, how to lead a team as a coach as opposed to a player."

Later, he said that he's not going to try to conform to outside expectations of him, that he's just trying to be true to himself.

"That's the No. 1 goal I think is try not to do what others expect me to do as a coach," he said. "To be the leader that I know I am and can be and just really it's about my service to the players."

He neatly described the advice he imparted to J.R. Smith, who is struggling with the intricacies of the new offense as "not just installing new software to the computer. We're building a computer from scratch and that's not easy."

He said he didn't show off his championship rings to Smith, to prove a point, just as Jackson likely isn't showing off his rings to Fisher to reinforce who's in charge.

Because of the mutual respect, Fisher says he doesn't feel the crushing weight of Jackson's reputation on his back as he sits on the bench.

He's confidently acting like he's the answer to the Knicks glitches, even if he was actually Jackson's second choice to lead the team after Steve Kerr spurned Jackson for the Golden State Warriors job.

"In terms of Phil's presence, it doesn't limit me in any way in terms of me being confident in who I am in trusting that he made the decision along with the front office and obviously ownership had to agree to it as well that I am here for a reason," Fisher said. "I am confident in that. I will get better as I go along. I don't view it as I guess more challenging to have someone like Phil around."

And in a statement that might as well go on his license plate as the first game approaches, Fisher said: "We're going places though, and I'm excited to be a part of it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/derek-fisher-distance-phil-jackson-article-1.1985201
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

oh stop already Fish, you owe your entire career to Phil Jackson. this was another one of Phil's zen move so him and Fish can have that good cop bad cop going with Melo.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Fisher without Kobe and Phil = Rich man's Daniel Gibson.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

If he wasnt a Phil guy, Phil wouldn't have hired him. Who is he kidding?
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject:

Fish could've been a politician, dude knows how to toe the company line with the best of them. Phil must be proud.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

The best puppets are the ones who think they have control.

!...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
The best puppets are the ones who think they have control.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Fish is just there so Phil can coach through him without having to do the heavy lifting or take any blame.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
If he wasnt a Phil guy, Phil wouldn't have hired him. Who is he kidding?

Fair price to pay for jumping the coaching ladder.

I think a successful run in NY, sets him up for another coaching gig 3-5 years. Then he'd shed the "Phil's guy" label that he will have to deal with while he is in New York.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Why so much hostility towards D-Fish?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

Yeah guys, don't be so "hostile" towards Fisher, be delusional and pretend he was hired based on his coaching credentials. The only way you can be respectful towards him, is to ignore reality.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Fisher was going to be hired somewhere eventually. People have been talking about him as coach for a while before NY signed him.

Have no idea if NY/Phil/Fish will be successful. But he was definitely coaching material and if he wanted/pursued it, would have landed a gig eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Yeah guys, don't be so "hostile" towards Fisher, be delusional and pretend he was hired based on his coaching credentials. The only way you can be respectful towards him, is to ignore reality.

The hell does him being hired in New York have to do with you or the Lakers? Did he getting hired in New York take food off your plate or something? This is D-Fish, who won games in crucial moments for more than a decade for the Lakers.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

The hell does him being hired in New York have to do with you or the Lakers? Did he getting hired in New York take food off your plate or something? This is D-Fish, who won games in crucial moments for more than a decade for the Lakers.

Yeah, not to mention if it wasn't for Jimbo both Phil & D. Fish would probably be Lakers right now. It's not their fault. I'm sure if you asked them both in private they'd love to be here!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

What the hell does what Fisher did on the Lakers have to do with the reasons behind him being hired by Phil to coach?

Are you saying I can't have an opinion on something unless it relates to the Lakers? It's not hostile to call Fisher's hiring what it was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: