Steve Nash Discussion: Done for season; Nash open letter to Laker fans, pg 29
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NanceJrFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
People Hernandez wrote:
Dragic was an unknown for the most part whose claim to fame was being The Machine's monkey wrench. We also had Mike Brown as a head coach too... I've said it before in this thread and i'll say it again once more., Nash was the correct move by Mitch at the time considering the "Female Dog" move from Dan Gilbert/David Stern/Misguided Owners known formally as "The Veto". This is just a part of the domino effect of 12/8/2011. Accept it. But don't forget the genesis of it bro.

The Nash trade, was awful even at the time of the move... if you look at it clearly.... we had no insurance that Howard was gonna be here long-term despite his agent telling the Lakers he would resign with them... the truth is..... the Lakers made a stupid move at the cost of nothing.... they didn't know the Nash/Howard/Pau/Kobe trio would last long and it didn't.... so the Nash trade right now is even more worse when you look at it...

It was not an awful trade even if you look at it clearly. Risky, yes, but awful is not the right word. Kobe was still elite, Howard and Gasol was arguable the best two big men in the league, Nash is still a potential 10/10 player. That was one last push to get Kobe his 6th rings. That team had the potential to at least get to the WCF if not win it all that year. Stuff just didn't happen as planned. Who would have guess that team would struggled to make the playoff? Nash got injured and the D'toni hired was questionable. There was stuff that was out of our control but i still believe that not hiring Phil Jackson is our biggest mistake. Would Howard left the Lakers if the Lakers made it to the WCF that year? as opposed to getting sweep in the first round? IDK. The Nash and Howard trade was not an awful trade even in hindsight.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Ugh, that really sucks for Nash.

Pau Gasol is nice
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Dragic and Nash were both on the Phoenix roster at the conclusion of the 2011 - 2012 season?

Not sure about that.... but I think we had multiple chances to acquire him... one with the Rockets trade and one when he became a FA in the 2012 off-season...... so either way the Lakers made there mistake for no reason.

Dragic + pick was traded from Phoenix to Houston for Aaron Brooks in February 2011.

Phoenix Suns trade Goran Dragic for Aaron Brooks from Houston Rockets

Previously, you suggested that Dragic and Nash were both Suns Point Guards available in Summer 2012. If that is correct, how did he journey back from the Houston roster to the Phoenix roster so that he could be classified as a Suns Point Guard available to the Lakers?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Not sure what's more fragile - Nash's health or LG's new servers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
The Lakers, still haven't explained why they choose Nash over a rising all-star PG like Dragic when they were both after the 2 Suns PGs at the time... we all know Nash was really good the year he played last for the Suns... but to choose him over Dragic even when healthy is a stupid move.... and we probably wouldn't have given up multiple picks had we acquired Dragic.

Dragic was an unknown for the most part whose claim to fame was being The Machine's monkey wrench. We also had Mike Brown as a head coach too... I've said it before in this thread and i'll say it again once more., Nash was the correct move by Mitch at the time considering the "Female Dog" move from Dan Gilbert/David Stern/Misguided Owners known formally as "The Veto". This is just a part of the domino effect of 12/8/2011. Accept it. But don't forget the genesis of it bro.

They didn't choose Nash over Dragoc anymore than they chose Nash over Lebron.

I don't ever remember them having a choice between the two and them choosing Nash.
urbanturban
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Considering the who-called-whom crap from the Abbot article, this seems somewhat appropos.....

"I read the story," Buss said Thursday. "I don't agree with any of it. If there is somebody that's on our payroll who is saying things like that, I'll soon get to the bottom of it, and they won't be working for us anymore."
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Nice read and brief summary of Nash's career and life after basketball.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2014/10/23/steve_nashs_transcendent_career_has_come_to_a_close_arthur.html
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

urbanturban wrote:
Considering the who-called-whom crap from the Abbot article, this seems somewhat appropos.....

"I read the story," Buss said Thursday. "I don't agree with any of it. If there is somebody that's on our payroll who is saying things like that, I'll soon get to the bottom of it, and they won't be working for us anymore."

Probably the floor mop boy at Staples Center
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
urbanturban wrote:

lol urbanturban making the connection to Nash "no longer working"
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Steve Nash out for season with nerve damage; Career likely over

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
I've been told @SteveNash will be ruled out for the entire 2014-15 NBA season with nerve issues: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2242777-unable-to-overcome-ongoing-back-issues-steve-nash-to-miss-2014-15-season …. #Lakers

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
46 seconds ago
I've confirmed the report by @KevinDing that Steve Nash will not play this season because of recurring nerve damage in his back.

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Lakers may be able to apply for a disabled player exception for Nash - up to $5.3 mil - TBD

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers
OFFICIAL: Steve Nash has been ruled out for the 2014-15 season due to a recurring back injury.

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers
Full press release on Nash including quotes from him and Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0q-DzdIcAI6reY.jpg

Nash's greatest moment as a Laker; 40th Birthday performance

sad news for a guy trying his hardest to come back and live up to the promise. His body just couldn't do it
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Sad story, considering how hard he was working to come back for the Lakers, body just couldn't do it sadly.

Nash's greatest moment as a Laker; 40th Birthday performance
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

can't post it here?

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=170500
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie Buss wasn't kidding when she said she would find the anonymous sources in the organization and fire them.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject:

We drafted Julius Randle? Woooohoooo!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Jeanie Buss wasn't kidding when she said she would find the anonymous sources in the organization and fire them.

Considering the organization fired a bunch of longtime employees a couple of years ago, I don't think firing an ESPN informant would be a problem.
urbanturban
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
urbanturban wrote:

lol urbanturban making the connection to Nash "no longer working"

Kobe 2.0 is probably right, but I couldn't resist

Nash was great....before he was a Laker. The irony of playing next to his nemesis while being crippled by injury can be explained here:

You can't conceive, nor can I, the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God

How easy could that have been? To have Kobe "mother f'ing a'hole" Bryant riding you for years and not be able to do anything about it. I honestly feel bad he ended his career this way. He never rolled over in the playoffs, going up against Kobe and Phil and the machine that was those Lakers. Tough to see him go, but go he should.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
urbanturban wrote:

Probably mda
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
The Lakers, still haven't explained why they choose Nash over a rising all-star PG like Dragic when they were both after the 2 Suns PGs at the time... we all know Nash was really good the year he played last for the Suns... but to choose him over Dragic even when healthy is a stupid move.... and we probably wouldn't have given up multiple picks had we acquired Dragic.

I really think since the moment they had a chance to trade for Nash, Jimbo and crew had Pringles in the back of their mind and the possibility of re-inventing the run and gun Suns. You dont fire your coach 4 games into the season without a plan.

Again, a miscalculation by the FO.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Dragic and Nash were both on the Phoenix roster at the conclusion of the 2011 - 2012 season?

Not sure about that.... but I think we had multiple chances to acquire him... one with the Rockets trade and one when he became a FA in the 2012 off-season...... so either way the Lakers made there mistake for no reason.

Dragic was a rocket while Nash was still a sun during the 2012 free agency.
but he was a free agent during that time. Dragic at that time has never been a full time starter in the league, he became a starter in Houston 2nd half of a lock out season after Kyle Lowery was injured.

After nash was dealt with Lakers, Phoenix needed a PG, they then signed Dragic. Houston having no PG left signed Lin.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Considering the organization fired a bunch of longtime employees a couple of years ago, I don't think firing an ESPN informant would be a problem.

Some of those employees could be the sources, actually. Most of the quotes that were really negative were from agents or rival teams. The ones from the "Lakers insiders" or "people with knowledge of the decision making process" could be current or former scouts or they could be a guy who shared a beer with John Ireland. Who really knows.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

This is not the way i expected Nash to go, such a sad end to such a great player. With that said i'm glad that at least now we can move forward, and this will help us develop Jordan Clarkson as well
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Just heard about this now. Pretty sure this surprises absolutely no one, but it still sucks. Steve's such a good guy, and a great player, it's really sad to see his career (likely) end like this.

But cheers to a great career. I hope he signs a 10-day contract with Pheonix and plays his last game there, or at least retires there.
Afrosho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Wow...

I guess we can apply for a disabled player exception now... But who's still available ?
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

If I had a $10 million salary for a job, and I could not perform the job, taking all that money would not sit well with me.

If he had any class, he would:

• Donate a large portion of his salary to a charity
• Not just sit on the bench but do something for the organization
• Maybe restructure salary in a way that he can actually earn it over time as an assistant coach.

I know he's already stated that he's all about getting that money in his bank, and many think that's cool, but it will always tarnish his reputation for me.

I have a feeling that folks like Cal Ripken, John Stockton, etc. would handle things differently than Nash.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

urbanturban wrote:

Honestly... I believe he was the inside source. I did when I read the article.

Seeing Nash didn't announce a retirement.
Seeing the Lakers don't seem to hint at a medical retirement (which would free up a waiver for his salary)...

I'm putting the odds of this being the case at around 20% in my bookie services.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 11 of 38
Jump to: