Summer 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

That is the price for good defensive centers in the league. Don't like it? Spend less on a lesser defender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Asik wont be available as yinoma said it perfect.

Guys i want to pair with Randle:
Option 1: Gobert
Option 2: Henson
Option 3: Séraphin

Asik will be available, the Lakers would just have to oversell the competition.

And if Pelicans offer a 5th year? Are we going to offer a max to a guy like Asik? I hope not.

A good defensive center is worth $16 mil a season. I will believe NO will offer the max when I see it, that isn't their style.

You would seriously pay Asik $16m? Whoa.

Again if Davis wants him they will keep him. If Asik sucks then we probably don't have to overpay.

I agree that's over paying. But both of you are willing to give $15M to Hibbert so what's the difference? lol

Asik has 0 offense. Hibbert had one bad playoff run but his offense is light years ahead of Asik.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject:

I feel like we're missing the fact that we have so far what's proven to be a pretty good rim protecting and offensively capable center in ed davis right under our noses. If he stays on his current course, I'd take him over any of the other realistically available centers, except maybe hibbert.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
I feel like we're missing the fact that we have so far what's proven to be a pretty good rim protecting and offensively capable center in ed davis right under our noses. If he stays on his current course, I'd take him over any of the other realistically available centers, except maybe hibbert.

I hope the Lakers are smart enough to pass up on Hibbert after watching him become the invisible man way too many times. The guy struggled to get 5/5 in the playoffs. Pass, easily. Give me Monroe, he's young enough that he and Randle can be on the Lakers for a long time together. I like Gasol but I don't want want any 2-3 year window players, the Lakers should have learned their lesson about signing guys over 30 by now. .... hopefully.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

I hope the Lakers are smart enough to pass up on Hibbert after watching him become the invisible man way too many times. The guy struggled to get 5/5 in the playoffs. Pass, easily. Give me Monroe, he's young enough that he and Randle can be on the Lakers for a long time together. I like Gasol but I don't want want any 2-3 year window players, the Lakers should have learned their lesson about signing guys over 30 by now. .... hopefully.

We can disagree about Hibbert, I personally think he will be better this year and would be a buy-low center.

Re: Monroe, well, he has an opportunity to show prospective teams what he can do. He needs to show more motor and defense this year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

I think Hibbert MIGHT have a chance to flourish on any other team...more likely a small market team. But on the Lakers he would crumble under the pressure and spotlight.

If there's anything that last year's playoffs proved it's that he doesn't respond well to pressure
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I think Hibbert MIGHT have a chance to flourish on any other team...more likely a small market team. But on the Lakers he would crumble under the pressure and spotlight.

If there's anything that last year's playoffs proved it's that he doesn't respond well to pressure

Fair point. But I also direct you to the year before when he was a beast in the playoffs. Could the explanation be more nuanced then what you're saying?

I think he's a good candidate for a buy-low player. He's going to look bad with the Pacers since George is out, and even West is out early too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Asik wont be available as yinoma said it perfect.

Guys i want to pair with Randle:
Option 1: Gobert
Option 2: Henson
Option 3: Séraphin

Asik will be available, the Lakers would just have to oversell the competition.

And if Pelicans offer a 5th year? Are we going to offer a max to a guy like Asik? I hope not.

A good defensive center is worth $16 mil a season. I will believe NO will offer the max when I see it, that isn't their style.

You would seriously pay Asik $16m? Whoa.

Again if Davis wants him they will keep him. If Asik sucks then we probably don't have to overpay.

I agree that's over paying. But both of you are willing to give $15M to Hibbert so what's the difference? lol

Asik has 0 offense. Hibbert had one bad playoff run but his offense is light years ahead of Asik.

Yes, though I think Asik is a better rebounder. Either would be a good addition to this squad.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

I wouldn't say that Davis is proven, if he were he wouldn't be making $1 mil a year. I would say potential is a better term. Obviously him becoming another Robin Lopez would be the best situation for the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

I wouldn't say that Davis is proven, if he were he wouldn't be making $1 mil a year. I would say potential is a better term. Obviously him becoming another Robin Lopez would be the best situation for the Lakers.

I can't picture Big Ed as a steady 82 game (plus playoffs) center who plays 35 mpg.

He's great as your first big playing both frontcourt positions, 25 mpg.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

I think if Davis can be consistent at 30 mpg we should be very happy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

Fair point. But I also direct you to the year before when he was a beast in the playoffs. Could the explanation be more nuanced then what you're saying?

I think he's a good candidate for a buy-low player. He's going to look bad with the Pacers since George is out, and even West is out early too.

He was a beast the year before. True. But there was no adversity or pressure on the Pacers that year. All the pressure was on Miami. They were playing with house money. When there was some expectations on him to perform he was throwing up historical goose eggs. It was truly worse than that Kwame Phoenix game.

If he was making say $10M or was an expiring this season I'd do it. But for his price tag...no bueno yinomes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

That whole Pacers team was broken last season, though I have no idea why. Hibbert was either part of the problem or a victim of what ailed them. Again, I don't know which. But for one year, I would try to figure it out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

He was a beast the year before. True. But there was no adversity or pressure on the Pacers that year. All the pressure was on Miami. They were playing with house money. When there was some expectations on him to perform he was throwing up historical goose eggs. It was truly worse than that Kwame Phoenix game.

If he was making say $10M or was an expiring this season I'd do it. But for his price tag...no bueno yinomes

Which is why this is a gamble. And Mitch is excellent in trade situations in finding out if it's worth making the move.l
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

You're right that's why I said what davis has proven so far (this preseason) and only if he continues to play like that throughout the yr. I used to think davis couldn't keep it up for 30mpg, but the more I've watched him I've been realizing he's not that undersized for a c in today's league. Then I look at his movements and he looks very fluid, coordinated, flexible for a man his size. I look at those aspects when I'm looking for indicators regarding injury proneness. Lots of centers especially young ones come in w underdeveloped bodies and coordination, and seem to get injured as a result, but Davis doesn't look like that imo. Only time will tell but if he proves himself this yr I wouldn't mind keeping him.

As far as centers go, another good option is to go after one in this year's draft. It's loaded w centers. Only non center guys I'd make an exception for in the draft would be hezonja and delon wright, but for the most part there's no reason why we can't find a center in the draft instead of overpaying some center in free agency.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

He also has good footwork and seems to have a high bball IQ. If he can defend and average around 6-8 boards and 1-2 blocks in 30-35 minutes, you lock him up for MLE money.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

I think the only way Lakers get free agents next summer is to go after a bunch of young free agents (as opposed to guys who are late 20s, early 30s) since the established vets won't want to be playing on a rebuilding team. That takes out basically most of the big men except Monroe. Monroe has his warts, but Lakers have had varying degrees of interest in him over the years.

I just find it hard for the FO to make a pitch to established veterans to join the team next summer.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the only way Lakers get free agents next summer is to go after a bunch of young free agents (as opposed to guys who are late 20s, early 30s) since the established vets won't want to be playing on a rebuilding team. That takes out basically most of the big men except Monroe. Monroe has his warts, but Lakers have had varying degrees of interest in him over the years.

I just find it hard for the FO to make a pitch to established veterans to join the team next summer.

Kinda like how Isaiah Thomas wanted to come but we got Lin instead...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I gather though the FO will still try to get an established vet, likely strike out, and do what they did this summer again (pick up Hill's option, get a bunch of 1 year contracts). I hope we pick up a few mid-tier players next season (and maybe a J.Okafor, Towns, Mudiay or S.Johnson, I haven't even began reviewing the 2015 class...sigh) to show prospective free agents we actually have a team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

Is Ennes Kanter any good? (I haven't seen him play much). He's a RFA in 2015.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Kanter is okay. He'll never be anything more than a garbage big man IMO.

Not worth pursuing.

I wish we had something to offer them for Gobert

I don't envy Mitch right now, he easily has the toughest job in the league this summer
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject:

I have doubts okc will match any big offer to Reggie Jackson. Also kawhi is going to get the max and unless he stays for less, I have doubts that spurs will match. If we can nab either one of those 2, it could be great for us.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I gather though the FO will still try to get an established vet, likely strike out, and do what they did this summer again (pick up Hill's option, get a bunch of 1 year contracts). I hope we pick up a few mid-tier players next season (and maybe a J.Okafor, Towns, Mudiay or S.Johnson, I haven't even began reviewing the 2015 class...sigh) to show prospective free agents we actually have a team.

Agreed, a core of kobe/randle/okafor would definitely attract players. Highly unlikely this happens, but imagine if we added Klay or Leonard to that squad.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Klay Thompson and Greg Monroe should be the main targets next summer. Two young players who will be around for a long time with Randle and Clarkson. I'll be happy with either.

Max for Klay, then remainder for Monroe? Who is playing point guard though on this team? (Lin would need to be let go).

If we let Lin go Price & Clarkson gets it by default.

Maybe (wishful thinking) Lin decides to stay and gives us the hometown discount.

Yes, a long term deal for around $8-9 mil per might work for both sides. I think going after Klay is a good idea and a bad idea. I would like to have him here, but I can't imagine that GS wouldn't match. Letting Hill walk and getting a good deal with Lin and the team would still have around $17-19 mil to go after FAs.

Warriors will likely match.

However, it will depend on how they do this season.

If they go to WCF, they will likely match.

If they are one and done, our chances will increase.

Too early to speculate.
LebronKingJames
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

2015 is when you realise if Kobe got offer'd less you would be in a better position for 2015. If Kobe took 12-15 mill would be much better for the Lakers. Im not bashing Kobe just pointing it out, is Lamarcus Aldridge a FA next year? I think Lakers will get Westbrook one day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15
Jump to: