Summer 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I think there's a better chance we sign Deandre Jordan to the max then Marc. He could have signed an extension with the Clippers but he didn't. They already have so much committed in salaries next year that I'm not sure they can max him. Lin will most likely be re-signed to a reasonable contract and be the starting PG.

As for the draft, I think the basketball gods will finally be on our side this year and will get to keep the top 5 pick and draft Stanley Johnson.

Next years team

Lin/Clarkson/Price
Kobe/Young
Stanley Johnson/Roscoe Smith
Randle/Kelly
Deandre Jordan/ Willie Cauley Stein(Rockets pick)/Sacre

Amen to a top 5 pick. But I think Clips know they have to keep DJ to keep Blake happy. And they have deeper pockets now to do it. Would be such a blow for Clips to see DJ move to the Lakers.

Yes, with Ballmer buying the Clippers I think any chance at Jordan went out the window. Unless we could get a young center in the draft, I would roll with Davis or hope we can get Koufos from Memphis. Two 25-26 yo young big men with something to show the league. We have done pretty well so far with former big men from Memphis. If one of them can develop into an effective rim protector and rebounder alongside Randle, we might look more attractive to potential FAs. And as I have posted, if Henderson opts out, go after him.

Lin
Henderson
Kobe
Randle
Koufos or Davis
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

^ It's one of the reasons they signed Hawes, not only just to be a backup but insurance in case Jordan leaves. There's no guarantee he stays especially if they don't win it all. Clippers would have 3 max players on the team and two making 40$ Mill combined.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I think there's a better chance we sign Deandre Jordan to the max then Marc. He could have signed an extension with the Clippers but he didn't. They already have so much committed in salaries next year that I'm not sure they can max him. Lin will most likely be re-signed to a reasonable contract and be the starting PG.

As for the draft, I think the basketball gods will finally be on our side this year and will get to keep the top 5 pick and draft Stanley Johnson.

Next years team

Lin/Clarkson/Price
Kobe/Young
Randle/Kelly

Amen to a top 5 pick. But I think Clips know they have to keep DJ to keep Blake happy. And they have deeper pockets now to do it. Would be such a blow for Clips to see DJ move to the Lakers.

As much as I'm against tanking getting another top pick would be great to put alongside Randle and give us a very bright future.

I'd hope that if we fail to make the playoffs we are extremely lucky in the lottery and can get a top 3 pick.

The team listed above would be very nice and would put us back in championship contention.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
I think Lin will be extended because of the TWC situation (he's popular), plus he's a good player. If its reasonable, I'm all for it.

He's probably going to start in the 7-9 range, depending upon how he performs. If they like him as a starter and can lock him in on a deal starting at between 7-8, that's a pretty good outcome.

And I think that is a deal Lin could live with. To finally have some stability in his career is probably very valuable to him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
^ It's one of the reasons they signed Hawes, not only just to be a backup but insurance in case Jordan leaves. There's no guarantee he stays especially if they don't win it all. Clippers would have 3 max players on the team and two making 40$ Mill combined.

Their owner just spent $2 billion on them, he won't be pinching pennies. But if Jordan wants to leave, then that is another subject.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Next years team

Lin/Clarkson/Price
Kobe/Young
Randle/Kelly

As much as I'm against tanking getting another top pick would be great to put alongside Randle and give us a very bright future.

I'd hope that if we fail to make the playoffs we are extremely lucky in the lottery and can get a top 3 pick.

The team listed above would be very nice and would put us back in championship contention.

We could have the worst record in the league and we would never get a top 3 pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Sign:
Tobias Harris(5-7m)

Re-sign:
Jeremy Lin(6m)
Ed Davis(8-10m a year if he pans out, centers like him don't grow on trees)
Ronnie Price(vets min)
possibly Wesley Johnson(vets min)

Draft: Dakari Johnson or Delon Wright

That's a solid starting point

That's about 19-23m spent of the 30m we have free this off-season.

That would leave us with 7 million left.

KEEP in mind that the Magic have 20 million in cap this off-season and could match whatever is offered for Tobias Harris.

Afflalo is the only one whom is unrestricted if he decides to opt out of his players option.

Starting point for what exactly?

Are 2016 free agents going to be wowed by Lin/Randle/Harris/Davis?

I think as 24 said, they go big on the big names first in 2015. I think Harris, if the price is low, will be matched.

Depends. How do you think Randle will look at 21 and Harris would look as he's going into his prime. Davis if he pans out to earn that kind of deal would be a rebounding/defensive stopping center that scores at a very high efficiency rate, be it in pick and roll or otherwise. Valuable thing to think about.

Also consider that if we were to sign a big time free agent in 2016 that Kobe if he's still healthy 'could' very well come back for a final year. If we don't, he probably retires.

It's about the team you could create in all honesty.

Let's just assume in the absolute best case scenario that the Lakers signed Durant with those pieces above you mentioned and Kobe came back for one final year after that. (It's also assumed that in 2016 the Lakers cap space, as well as the NBA cap raise would put their cap space within range of 3 max contracts in 2016, so don't sleep on that either).

So, just assume in the best case scenario this is the team you create

Jeremy Lin
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
3rd year Julius Randle
Ed Davis

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson / Price
Nick Young
Tobias Harris
Ryan Kelly
Robert Sacre / Draft Pick

Where would you rank that team in the West?

If the Magic are gonna match with Harris than the only other guy you would go after is Afflalo this off-season who can opt out and become an UFA and the Lakers would have the money to pay him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are going to continue to make sure they have a max slot available for 2016, and 2017 if necessary. The only thing that would change that is trading for a max level guy. But they will have a max slot in 15. If they don't get a max guy (well, even if they do), they will have a max slot available in 16. They will build with assets that keep that slot open. Don't be surprised to see them go after Lin and a couple other guys, split that up on solid players (a defensive big and a solid wing being priorities), and then roll Kobe's salary forward as 2016 cap space.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers are going to continue to make sure they have a max slot available for 2016, and 2017 if necessary. The only thing that would change that is trading for a max level guy. But they will have a max slot in 15. If they don't get a max guy (well, even if they do), they will have a max slot available in 16. They will build with assets that keep that slot open. Don't be surprised to see them go after Lin and a couple other guys, split that up on solid players (a defensive big and a solid wing being priorities), and then roll Kobe's salary forward as 2016 cap space.

That's how I'm seeing it unwind as well. The Lakers have set themselves up pretty well to make the homerun swing for the next 3 years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

That's how I'm seeing it unwind as well. The Lakers have set themselves up pretty well to make the homerun swing for the next 3 years.

They can go for longer deals next year because they will have the Kobe contract expiring. So they could spend as much as 27-28 mil on 4 guys, almost 7 mil per. You could see Davis, Lin, a wing, and another big all get 6-8 on deals ranging from single year to multi year. Unless a star becomes available, then 2-3 of those guys move to the back of the line.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
I think Lin will be extended because of the TWC situation (he's popular), plus he's a good player. If its reasonable, I'm all for it.

He's probably going to start in the 7-9 range, depending upon how he performs. If they like him as a starter and can lock him in on a deal starting at between 7-8, that's a pretty good outcome.

yep i agree, esp since the cap is supposed to balloon in '16 and beyond, raising average salaries.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

They can go for longer deals next year because they will have the Kobe contract expiring. So they could spend as much as 27-28 mil on 4 guys, almost 7 mil per. You could see Davis, Lin, a wing, and another big all get 6-8 on deals ranging from single year to multi year. Unless a star becomes available, then 2-3 of those guys move to the back of the line.

I thought the team was opposed to spending on those kind of contracts which will have to be multi year too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

I thought the team was opposed to spending on those kind of contracts which will have to be multi year too.

They were pending the 2015 offseason. LA wants a max slot every year until they land something. With the cap going up in 16 (and we will know how much soon), and Kobe off the books, they can add a few guys and still have that max slot. Couldn't do that this year. Of course, they may want to preserve more than a max slot, but they still can add a bit more longer term salary in this next offseason if they fail to hit a big name.
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

make offers to Reggie Jackson & Jimmy butler, resign Ed Davis, draft Dakari Johnson

Jackson 4 years for 44 million
Butler 3 years for 24 million
Davis 2 years for 12 million with player option
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I'd let jhill walk. Offer klay the max and draft well.

What are the chances cauley stein will be available w our Hou pick? What about delon wright being available? I guess it depends how they play this year too but those are some interesting prospects.

Then as far as free agency goes its just hard to know who will be available. There are a ton of dudes with player options. For sure I'd offer the max to klay and kawhi though, hopefully we can land one. Frankly I don't like any of the ufas this year. Remember lakers are saving their space for max type guys. I can't imagine a guy like deandre leaving his situation. I don't see Hibbert opting out for less money but u never know if he gets more guaranteed yrs. We can only get one of those guys though.

I also want to keep lin and davis.

Best case scenario, we get one of kawhi or klay, keep lin and davis, and draft cauley stein or delon wright.

If we keep our suns pick I'd draft depending on the draft position were in okafor, hezonja, or towns. Hezonja is omg good. That dude is super damn legit.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Offering Klay the max is a mostly useless gesture. GS will match.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Offering Klay the max is a mostly useless gesture. GS will match.

Yeah, they have Curry at a great value, why would they not max Klay? No way they let him go.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

After a bummer 2014 free agency I'm just going to lower expectations for 2015.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, there isn't a ton out there with Love going to Cleveland. That's why I think LA will start to pick up mid priced assets (useful in trades) while keeping that max slot available.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What mid level guys will sign with us for 1 yr though 24? Even at an inflated price, they'll be more difficult to trade even as huge expirings.

I don't think offering klay the max is useless. I mean we don't lose anything by trying. Look at the bledsoe situation (although it's a little diff) everyone thought suns would match and it went down to the wire until they finally reluctantly offered him big money. Sure gs will probably match and chances of landing him are low but I wouldn't say it's useless imo.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
What mid level guys will sign with us for 1 yr though 24? Even at an inflated price, they'll be more difficult to trade even as huge expirings.

I don't think offering klay the max is useless. I mean we don't lose anything by trying. Look at the bledsoe situation (although it's a little diff) everyone thought suns would match and it went down to the wire until they finally reluctantly offered him big money. Sure gs will probably match and chances of landing him are low but I wouldn't say it's useless imo.

By mid, I mean 5-8 mil kind of guys, and there are a ton. And LA doesn't have to offer them just a one year deal to preserve cap space.

Bledsoe received zero offers, precisely because everyone knew Phoenix would match. So it was a game of chicken between Bledsoe and Phoenix.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

By mid, I mean 5-8 mil kind of guys, and there are a ton. And LA doesn't have to offer them just a one year deal to preserve cap space.

Bledsoe received zero offers, precisely because everyone knew Phoenix would match. So it was a game of chicken between Bledsoe and Phoenix.

It's worth it to try anyway. What do you think about kawhi? Are spurs going to win a chip or they going to bust (not meet expectations) this yr? Will kawhi want max money? Will he get it?

What are some mid level guys you think are realistic for Lakers that you want on the team? Frankly the ufas available this summer don't impress me at all. Jeff green might be an interesting target. Dunno.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

It's worth it to try anyway. What do you think about kawhi? Are spurs going to win a chip or they going to bust (not meet expectations) this yr? Will kawhi want max money? Will he get it?

What are some mid level guys you think are realistic for Lakers that you want on the team? Frankly the ufas available this summer don't impress me at all. Jeff green might be an interesting target. Dunno.

Fair enough. If you think testing gravity is valuable, test away. And no way the Spurs let Leonard go either.
urbanturban
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers go after Rondo personally. Just fits the coaching and position need.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

it ties up a lot of cap space for 3 days while dudes are signing with other teams. The "retaining" team often takes the max time to declare they're matching as a strategic move to hamstring the "signing" team. Waste of time IMO
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15
Jump to: