Lakers Probably Going Sign Another PG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

He was a disaster in Minny.

How so? he put up better numbers in Minny than he had in Dallas. Last year in 19 minutes, he avg 8/4. respectable numbers for a sub. Actually 4 assists in limited minutes and with the 2nd team is outstanding.

I doubt that he wants to come to LA. Lots of teams would be interested, playoff contenders. I could see GS taking a shot considering they need a second PG distributor. Barbosa more SG, Livingston more a SF these days.

Justin holiday vs Barea. That's an easy choice.

He looks like he puts up numbers so he earns minutes, but then he hurts the team when he's on the floor by being an undersized black hole.

His oRtg was 98 vs the team's 109. His dRtg was 110, vs the team's 106. Became the whipping boy of the Wolves fanbase.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

I was never a fan of Barrera, him going somewhere else is fine with me.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

@ fiend
How does one get 4 assts in 18 minutes being a black hole. Personally I never judge a player by his tertiary stats. The ratings you showed were similar to when he was with Dallas. If Minnie fanbase should understand why the wolves weren't so good defensively, maybe they should put some of the blame on their bigs who only averaged .9 blocks /game combined before they use a 2nd string guard as a whipping boy.

just for comparison:

SA has dRtg of 102.4. Tony Parker was their worst at 107 that's a differential of around 5. And you're ragging on Barea for having a differential of 4????
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

Barea would be a solid back up PG.

He is a attacker and shooter. Also a decent flopper. lol

We don't have many other options anyway.....

but he wants to go back to Mavs though...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
@ fiend
How does one get 4 assts in 18 minutes being a black hole.

By dominating the ball?

DimesnD wrote:

Personally I never judge a player by his tertiary stats. The ratings you showed were similar to when he was with Dallas. If Minnie fanbase should understand why the wolves weren't so good defensively, maybe they should put some of the blame on their bigs who only averaged .9 blocks /game combined before they use a 2nd string guard as a whipping boy.

just for comparison:

SA has dRtg of 102.4. Tony Parker was their worst at 107 that's a differential of around 5. And you're ragging on Barea for having a differential of 4????

I was talking about the -15 with him on the court. Why did the offensive side of your comparison magically disappear? That was mostly what we were talking about wasn't it?

It doesn't matter anyway. He left Minny because he wants to be guaranteed playing time every night. I doubt he gets that in LA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Bynum has been waived, let's see if anyone claims him.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Celtics Waive Will Bynum

Quote:
Celtics Waive Will Bynum

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 6m6 minutes ago

Celtics have cut Will Bynum to get down to 15 @BBallInsiders

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/526838269523156992
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Barea would be a solid back up PG.

He is a attacker and shooter. Also a decent flopper. lol

We don't have many other options anyway.....

but he wants to go back to Mavs though...

If J.J. Barea signs with the Mavs he won't get much PT, they are full of guards.

Probably a good move for him though; collect 4.5 million and play for a contender.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

@fiend

your implied version +/- is misleading. By your standard you would not take Jamal crawford who was around a -7 (team OrRtg = 112, JC 109, team Drtg=105, JC 110) Crazy. sixth man of the year, underperforming. And Jamal is as ball dominating as a sub gets.

Which brings us back to "ball dominating" and black whole. Perhaps your definition of a black hole is different that of the world. a Black hole doesn't give the rock up. To get 4 assts in 18 minutes you'll have to give it up alot considering the team shot 44%. Crazy to call him a black hole.

JJ Barea as a Wolves was the exactly same guy he was with Dallas. he was no whipping boy, there. He did have an off shooting year (it happens to them all) but still distributed. Nobody should judge talent solely based on oRtg and DRtg . Pts rebounds assts, shooting percentages matter most. it's unfair to the player otherwise.

If Barea was available to the Lakers, I assure you not a single person in the FO will give a flyingcrap about his +/-. Can he run an offense better than Price? The answer is yes, 100 times over.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Marquis Teague and Elliot Williams waived. Jazz put in claims on Jordan Hamilton and Joe Ingles.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Marquis Teague just got waived. Lakers should take a look at him.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Marquis Teague and Elliot Williams waived. Jazz put in claims on Jordan Hamilton and Joe Ingles.

problem is our roster is stuck with 15 with 2 player who we can waive without getting to pay their contract
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Gal mekel just got cut. Tall for a PG at 6'4". Good guy for a system. I'd take him over Ellington. Too bad no 10 day contracts yet.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Celtics Waive Will Bynum

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Celtics Waive Will Bynum

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 6m6 minutes ago

Celtics have cut Will Bynum to get down to 15 @BBallInsiders

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/526838269523156992

Would love to get a shot at Will. I think he'd be a great fit.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
Gal mekel just got cut. Tall for a PG at 6'4". Good guy for a system. I'd take him over Ellington. Too bad no 10 day contracts yet.

Yep. 10 Day contracts don't start until March I believe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Pincus reporting Lakers will pursue the disaed players exception although it won't be available for a few weeks
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers should get Barea but are probably to in love with Price to let him go.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
The Lakers should get Barea but are probably to in love with Price to let him go.

this would be a mistake. Barea is the better player with more NBA game experience and a much better change of pace spark off the bench. everyone is enamored with price right now but there's a reason after a decade no one's ever made a peep about him. IMO he is being really overvalued right now. he doesn't suck, but he's not this defensive stalwart everyone thinks he is. through the preseason he doesn't even have a higher defensive rating than JLin.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Player bashing is getting really old.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

With what happened to us with Steve Nash, Adam Silver should just hand JJ Barea to us on a platter tomorrow.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I think if you watch the game and not get sucked up into stats, we'd see that Price is always in d'fg up his man and is always on attack mode on the offense. If I had to mention something it would be that he does not play like a true PG; which is good and bad in any given circumstance.
ClutchPowerTripper
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

I'd rather take Morales over Barrera

But Gal Mekel would be my first choice. He'd be a better starter than Price. Then i'd feel better having Lin off bench to finish games. Price 3rd.string for insurance.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
@fiend

your implied version +/- is misleading. By your standard you would not take Jamal crawford who was around a -7 (team OrRtg = 112, JC 109, team Drtg=105, JC 110) Crazy. sixth man of the year, underperforming. And Jamal is as ball dominating as a sub gets.

Which brings us back to "ball dominating" and black whole. Perhaps your definition of a black hole is different that of the world. a Black hole doesn't give the rock up. To get 4 assts in 18 minutes you'll have to give it up alot considering the team shot 44%. Crazy to call him a black hole.

JJ Barea as a Wolves was the exactly same guy he was with Dallas. he was no whipping boy, there. He did have an off shooting year (it happens to them all) but still distributed. Nobody should judge talent solely based on oRtg and DRtg . Pts rebounds assts, shooting percentages matter most. it's unfair to the player otherwise.

If Barea was available to the Lakers, I assure you not a single person in the FO will give a flyingcrap about his +/-. Can he run an offense better than Price? The answer is yes, 100 times over.

I don't really have a dog in this fight- not sure why you're getting so fired up about Barea, when it pretty clear he's probably not going to want to come to a low ranked team to play reduced minutes. I wasn't even arguing against him coming to the Lakers (heck they need any kind of depth at this position)- I'm just saying that he wasn't very good in Minny last season. Having watched Wolves games from time to time, he was pretty hit or miss, and didn't really mesh with the team. Not sure where you're going with the semantics either (can we split the difference and settle on "ball hog" ) I also have followed the Wolves blogs over the years, and the fans there (you know, the ones that watch all 82 games) have a strong disliking to him for the reasons I listed above, whether real or perceived. So if you go to the advanced stats, it backs up their perception. I don't think stats are the end all, and I definitely don't think you can pick and choose with them to make an argument (as if pts and assists mattered last year but fg% didn't. Five percentage points drop off from his prime is a LOT btw). I've told you the reasoning behind my view, whether you choose to agree or not. If you want me to believe that he's the same player he was in Dallas, you're going to have to do better than simply pointing at his point and assist totals. After all, his team did just cut him in the last year of his contract while signing Mo Williams.

Anyone who's curious on how he's viewed over there can read this:
http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2014/05/roster-review-j-j-barea-2/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Teague or Bynum are possibilities;
Teague is a combo guard who loves to attack but he needs to develop a consistent jump-shot.
Bynum is more seasoned and a better passer as a PG.

Barea is gonna be a Mav.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: