Who Would Have Been the Ideal PG to Play With Kobe (Past 10 Years)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

Sun Yue, the chinese Magic Johnson
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

Personality and temperament kind of important to mesh with Kobe. I'd agree with the Billups idea. Could lock down opposing PG's and cash open looks.

Just imagine Magic and Kobe together though. Basketball IQ off the charts.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
cp3 is the only PG that could work with kobe

Kobe and Paul might have been a beautiful marriage, or they might have gotten into a fist fight two weeks into the season, lol. Despite what Kobe has said, he really, really wants the ball in his hands especially in the clutch, and Paul doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be okay spotting up in the corner while Kobe went to work from the perimeter or mid-post position.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

I always like Ron Harper.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

The first two players that came to my mind were Chauncey Billups and Deron Williams. But thinking about it more, Jason Kidd would have been the best.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Gary Payton, John Stockton and Tony Parker. GP would have been fine deferring and passing. Great post up game if Kobe were to toss it in to him after not finding a shot.

Todays game, Lilliard.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Billups!? lol. He's a joke. He brings nothing that a lot of other pg's mentioned here don't already do a lot better. What? His "team leadership" reputation. Whatever. he's a flopper, overrated, yes he can hit a big shot or two, but whenever... WHENEVER...the officials haven't given him the flops, he has looked quite average. Pass! (but he's a good guy, no knock on that)

Curry is a drool-worthy candidate. he and Kobe would get along splendidly and probably wreak havoc in the league.

CP3 is also in the drool category, but I'd place Curry above him since CP3 tends whine a lot and relies on flopping to some degree. He's tiny, Curry is bigger, shoots better. Passing is obviously better with CP3, but I'll take Curry's shooting any day over that. You really don't have to pass all that well with Curry and Kobe on the team, since they'll be getting so much attention from half court in from the defense, basically someone will be wide open. Just be able to make a simple pass and the destruction will commence.

Lin...Lin's actually impressing me more than I expected. He makes good decisions and is relatively skillfull. if he can polish up his game and learn from Kobe/Nash about shooting and passing, he could be really awesome. From Nash, he needs to learn how pass/shoot/decide better while being smothered by the defense (Lin's weakness currently). Kobe can teach him how to kill. in the open court, Lin is very good.

Lebron would actually be a great pg for Kobe. But only if he just gave up scoring, we wouldn't need him to score. he would never do that. Just like dwight...if dwight just forgot about scoring and focused on rebounding/defending, the lakers would have been much better off.

I just prefer a supremely skilled offensive pg over anything else for kobe, the threat would open things up for the rest of the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Billups!? lol. He's a joke. He brings nothing that a lot of other pg's mentioned here don't already do a lot better. What? His "team leadership" reputation. Whatever. he's a flopper, overrated, yes he can hit a big shot or two, but whenever... WHENEVER...the officials haven't given him the flops, he has looked quite average. Pass! (but he's a good guy, no knock on that)

Curry is a drool-worthy candidate. he and Kobe would get along splendidly and probably wreak havoc in the league.

CP3 is also in the drool category, but I'd place Curry above him since CP3 tends whine a lot and relies on flopping to some degree. He's tiny, Curry is bigger, shoots better. Passing is obviously better with CP3, but I'll take Curry's shooting any day over that. You really don't have to pass all that well with Curry and Kobe on the team, since they'll be getting so much attention from half court in from the defense, basically someone will be wide open. Just be able to make a simple pass and the destruction will commence.

Lin...Lin's actually impressing me more than I expected. He makes good decisions and is relatively skillfull. if he can polish up his game and learn from Kobe/Nash about shooting and passing, he could be really awesome. From Nash, he needs to learn how pass/shoot/decide better while being smothered by the defense (Lin's weakness currently). Kobe can teach him how to kill. in the open court, Lin is very good.

Lebron would actually be a great pg for Kobe. But only if he just gave up scoring, we wouldn't need him to score. he would never do that. Just like dwight...if dwight just forgot about scoring and focused on rebounding/defending, the lakers would have been much better off.

I just prefer a supremely skilled offensive pg over anything else for kobe, the threat would open things up for the rest of the team.

I guess you didn't watch much Billups in his prime then based on your statements.

You seem to like guys who are offensively focused but don't have defensive balance. I think the ideal PG is not a liability on the defensive end so that Kobe isn't forced to guard the other team's PG.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Prime Deron Williams or Chauncey Billups
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Stephen Curry would be ideal. I can only imagine the amount of damage Kobe could do with Curry just hanging at the 3-pt line.

he'd never get to shoot....

gotta be jason kidd.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Eric Bledsoe.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
The first two players that came to my mind were Chauncey Billups and Deron Williams. But thinking about it more, Jason Kidd would have been the best.

I agree with Kidd. Considering what we ended up dealing him for, maybe we should have shipped Bynum's ass out?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I thought Odom as a point forward was a great complement to Kobe. He was like a poor man's Pippen in his ability to handle and defend--he just couldn't shoot like Pippen.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Everyone forgets other than 1/2 season under Rudy T and the messy seasons under Mike & Mike, the Lakers ran the triangle. Payton hated it and never learned it. It would minimize CP3. Best player for that would be a strong defender and good shooter. Chauncey is far and away the best option. Even Fish was well suited for his role as he was great as a spot up shooter. The problem with Fish is he was slow and was often burned on defense but still he was key to the Lakers championships. Deron would have been ok as well, but not really how he liked to play. Kidd would have been interesting as well.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Prime Marcus Banks
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Prime Nash.

His defensive deficiencies are exaggerated. Sure, he's not a great defender, but he played good team defense and was very smart about it.

More importantly, he was the best shooter in the league. Puts Fisher to shame.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

1. DWil
2. J. Kidd

No one else really. I don't even want to think about that flopping (bleep) CP3 in a Laker uniform.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Jason Kidd was the first that came to mind.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

Derek Fisher.

Kobe's never won without him. I get the on-court arguments as to why someone else would be better than Fish, but there is something about those two together that makes a winning combo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

Under Phil Jackson.

Steve Nash. Because he's a versatile shooter as well
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

Ronnie Price

-Byron Scott
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

Derek Fisher, I am guessing they would have won a couple of titles.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Chris Paul
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Chris Paul really would have been great from a basketball standpoint though I'm not sure how well they would have gotten along in the locker room.

Chauncey could have handled playing with Kobe.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

Pre-haircut Steve Nash
CP3 if the commish had not rescinded the trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: