Will the team have a player(s) that will have a Leonard/Green-like breakout season?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Will the team have a player(s) that will have a Leonard/Green-like breakout season?

Many pundits have stated that the talent level on the team is very low.

As the D12/Pau/Nash/Kobe experience has proven, it is the team (not the players) that is the highest priority and importance

As the Spurs have proven, get the right talented players for the system and coaching, they have flourished while developing stars like Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green (players that never found the right home)

Here are the choices that could flourished
• Ronnie Price
• Ed Davis
• Wes Johnson
• Jeremy Lin
• Xavier Henry
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

I feel like you're using overbroad language here -- Kawhi may be on his way to being a star for that team, but Green is a role player on any team, he averaged 9ppg last year. Further, Kawhi is not a player who "never found the right home." He was a mid-first round pick of the Spurs and they traded their very solid backup PG at the time (Hill - who was rumored to potentially challenge Parker for his spot if they weren't able to work out a K for Parker) for Kawhi. Green played 20 games for the Cavs before joining the Spurs. It's not like he was a journeyman until he found Pop. For the most part those 2 were Spurs products through and through.

Lin is going to have a great season, but he's a very good player already. Of the others, Ed Davis may thrive here, but he showed signs with other teams, he just never got a good shot for minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
I feel like you're using overbroad language here -- Kawhi may be on his way to being a star for that team, but Green is a role player on any team, he averaged 9ppg last year. Further, Kawhi is not a player who "never found the right home." He was a mid-first round pick of the Spurs and they traded their very solid backup PG at the time (Hill - who was rumored to potentially challenge Parker for his spot if they weren't able to work out a K for Parker) for Kawhi. Green played 20 games for the Cavs before joining the Spurs. It's not like he was a journeyman until he found Pop. For the most part those 2 were Spurs products through and through.

Lin is going to have a great season, but he's a very good player already. Of the others, Ed Davis may thrive here, but he showed signs with other teams, he just never got a good shot for minutes.

I'd go with Davis & Lin too. I'm expecting both to have really good seasons.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Davis has a chance...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

My main man Ed Davis
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Price, Lin and Davis. I don't think that X will get the time to flourish due to injury.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:

Kawhi is highly regarded by Pop, but not shared by other teams as highly. Green has been depended on by Pop to play a strategic role that he does well.

JLin's star was definitely fading and he was always getting injuried. If his defense goes up 2-3 notches, he will do an excellent job.

X is just having injury issues that is creating legitimate doubts if he can consistently stay on the court. X/Nash's situations has force the Lakers to carry 15 players on the roster.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject:

On this team I hope Clarkson and Randle go off. If Randle turns into a consistent beast and Kobe can be 2012 Kobe then I think this team can get into the playoffs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

No.

The Spurs assistant coaching staff is absolutely stellar at developing players.

The Laker coaching staff is too new.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Before the season started I was hoping it'd be Wes. But, after the preseason, it's obviously going to be Ed Davis. He's looking like a man trying to prove something.

Kiss my Converse.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
No.

Actually, that is the widely held myth, but quick, name a young guy the Spurs developed who did much elsewhere. The genius of Popovich is that his system, built around his three stalwarts and continuity, plugs many different players into very specific, teachable roles. He doesnt make young players into great players so much as he can take a variety of types and plug them into his system and maximize them.

Thats no knock, thats high praise. But what it isnt is developing players.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject:

what about Nick Young, .. Being somewhat new to the Lakers, I am really curious about his potential. I know we haven't seen him yet this year...
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

Actually, that is the widely held myth, but quick, name a young guy the Spurs developed who did much elsewhere. The genius of Popovich is that his system, built around his three stalwarts and continuity, plugs many different players into very specific, teachable roles. He doesnt make young players into great players so much as he can take a variety of types and plug them into his system and maximize them.

What about George Hill, he has been successful in Indiana, got his fame from being Tony Parker's back up.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

What about George Hill, he has been successful in Indiana, got his fame from being Tony Parker's back up.

Hill hasnt lived up to billing in indy, and certainly hasnt shown the efficiency and promise he did in San Antonio. because he fit te system perfectly, but in Indy, when asked to be a more complete player capable of being a main cog, not so much.
summerly
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Ed Davis, he is solid.
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Ed left UNC at an early age and was underdeveloped as a player, after 4 years and 2 teams it appears he is on the verge of finally fulfilling early expectations.

The Lakers made a very wise move picking him up so cheaply.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject:

indy_dave000 wrote:
Ed left UNC at an early age and was underdeveloped as a player, after 4 years and 2 teams it appears he is on the verge of finally fulfilling early expectations.

The Lakers made a very wise move picking him up so cheaply.

Is this our old friend Indy Dave, the original? If so, welcome back friend!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

Completely agree. I think a large part of their success, is that they realize you can't get blood from a stone and don't waste time trying to.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

It's still under the Spurs system, which has been around over a decade.

The Lakers are just now trying to implement a system.

It's also the same system, where Kawhi Leonard, is developing into a franchise player, despite his lack of dynamic ball-handling/shot creating ability.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

How many teams have owners or a fan base to allow a coach (even as great as Pop) stay for so long

Hopefully BScott will rekindle a Laker tradition with his "other" coaches such as Kareem/Big Game James (not Shields) teaching post moves, Antoine/Wilkes teaching shooting techniques, Magic/Nash teaching ball-handling skills and Coop (when he is healthy and available) teaching D.

All this under BScott/Black Mamba's constantly driving them to greater excellence on the court

Of course, they have to stay relatively healthy. Already, as of today - Nash is out for the season, Ellington has a concussion, Kelly is having hamstring issues, Xavier is having leg issues (that has indications and some simitations to Nash's injuries), Hill has injury issues and Kobe already has countless miles on his body.
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

Yep 24, it is me. Last season I was a Pacer season ticket holder for the first time in a few years and concentrated most of my NBA time at games.

A couple times I tried posting here but had forgotten my password and the system would not allow me to re-register with the same e-mail address so I often just came by and read the forum.

But on chance I tried re-registering again and am back.

Looks to be a long season for both Pacer and Laker fans this year. Since I was able to draft Julius Randle with the 5th pick in a fantasy keeper league I'll be very interested in his development.

Thank you for the welcome back
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

Only ones with any chance are Xavier and Ed Davis. Everyone else has had their chances to break out and they haven't done so.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

I don't know about other skills or areas of bball, but their shooting coach deserves a lot of credit for improving Tony Parker, Danny Green, and Kawhi Leonard's shot. TP and Kawhi were both thought to be hopeless from midrange or further when they entered the league. Recall that SA nearly traded Parker for Jason Kidd because defenses could sag so much off of Tony. Danny Green might have been out of the NBA had he not incredibly transformed his shot. Belinelli went from an average shooter from 3 to an elite one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
No.

Hill hasnt lived up to billing in indy, and certainly hasnt shown the efficiency and promise he did in San Antonio. because he fit te system perfectly, but in Indy, when asked to be a more complete player capable of being a main cog, not so much.

Exactly, I think Hill is a good example for your comment.
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

If you asked Pacer fans especially after Paul George injury they wish the Pacers had never traded the draft rights of Kwahi Leonard to the Spurs for George Hill.

Hill has been ok as a Pacers but is not the pg some Pacer fans envisioned when the trade was made. Hill is an example of a player being made to look better by a system he was in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: