Birdman (The movie, not the douchebag in Miami)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Birdman (The movie, not the douchebag in Miami)

WOW. What an extraordinary piece of cinema.

Not a perfect film, and the ending is a bit more ambiguous than I generally like, but as a whole it's a stunning achievement. And definitely one to see in a theater.

Michael Keaton is brilliant, Zach Galifinakis is wonderfully restrained for a change, Ed Norton gives a hilarious turn, and Emma Stone is also fun to watch.

Highly recommended for those who like to think.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

It's really great. The level of skill on display from Inarritu and his cast is incredibly impressive.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Always loved Keaton. Good to see him back in a major role.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm a very big fan of Alejandro Gonzales IƱarritu and I highly enjoyed his latest work.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject:

Was waiting a year to see this. Worth the wait. Holy effing f word. Loved the acting and the different levels of creativity. Lots of coolness and tubularness.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I thought you were gonna talk about the terrible rapper from Louisiana.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

you know there's 2 douches named Birdman in Miami right?
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Loved it. Very unique. Camera work, music, acting were all great. Might be too smart and abstract for Captain America fans.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

"Not the douchebag in Miami"
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject:

Is it too early to post spoilers? Tell you what, I'll do it this way --

NEXT POST CONTAINS SPOILERS -- SKIP IT IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND DON'T WANT IT SPOILED
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

Spoiler alert -- skip this post if you still want to see the movie.

I just saw it tonight. I'm still trying to put some of it together -- it's pretty clear that he ends up dead, and some of the ending is his fantasy. It's just not clear to me exactly where that happened.

First, they established that his "powers" weren't real -- for example, when he was trashing his hotel room telekinetically, as soon as Zach G walked in, the view switched to him doing it the old fashioned way. Second, when he "flew" to the theater, after he walked in, the cabbie followed him saying he hadn't paid. Third, when he locked himself out of the theater he couldn't open the doors -- instead he had to walk around in his underwear and go in through the front door.

I'm thinking the whole final scene in the hospital, including the final moment where Emma Stone looked down expecting to see he had jumped, then looked up, was surprised and smiled, was his fantasy. The scene had elements of "life working out the way he always wanted it to" -- the paparazzi literally bursting into his room, the good review (after the critic said she would "kill it," his ex-wife being kinder to him, and his daughter even bringing the right flowers -- so I'm thinking that whole thing was in his mind. The "new nose" thing also had a surreal quality to it -- he shot it off, and now he has a bigger one but it's completely healed? Is it supposed to be a bird beak signaling his transformation back to Birdman?

So I'm thinking he didn't really jump from the hospital window, he really killed himself on stage, and the ending was just his fantasy in his final moment. How did anyone else interpret it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

SPOILERS

^ I think that is a good explanation, Larry. I also thought it was weird how if a guy tried to kill himself, why would they put him in a hospital room that is so high off the ground, with an open window, and with no one watching him to make sure he doesn't try again. It would make sense under your theory that the whole last scene was his fantasy. Maybe he was in a coma in a hospital room, and that's where he had the fantasy, rather than right before he shot himself in the head.

I saw it with a friend who didn't like the ambiguity regarding what was real and what wasn't real. She wanted it spelled out for her. I like it when movies don't spell everything out and have an odd turn or odd quality to it, like Tommy Lee Jones talking about his dream at the end of No Country For Old Men.

But for Birdman, I think there are enough clues to peace it together if you think about it. And I also think it can be interpreted in other ways, which is fine with me.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Saw it and enjoyed it. Good ending too. Wasn't as strange of a movie as I thought it would be.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Didn't read the spoilers, but listened to a length Edward Norton conversation on NPR about the movie. It sounded spectacular and I definitely want to watch it. According to Norton, it was just an amazing experience, with the scenes just flow, and the takes are incredibly long. So the cinematography is superb.

I'll have to wait to watch it at home unless there's a compelling reason, as my daughter, would be too young to watch that movie and leaving her with someone never sits right with me.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Didn't read the spoilers, but listened to a length Edward Norton conversation on NPR about the movie. It sounded spectacular and I definitely want to watch it. According to Norton, it was just an amazing experience, with the scenes just flow, and the takes are incredibly long. So the cinematography is superb.

I'll have to wait to watch it at home unless there's a compelling reason, as my daughter, would be too young to watch that movie and leaving her with someone never sits right with me.

I noticed that in the first few minutes. It took a little getting used to because so few movies do it but it made it a more engaging experience. Very nicely done.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

This wasn't just a movie, this was cinema.

So many facets to discuss, I dont know where to start.

I guess all I can say right now is how impressed I was with the actual craft of how the film was shot, the extremely long scenes with one single take ( like the restaurant scene in Goodfellas or the shoot out scene from Children of Men) and the lighting...wow the lighting was extraordinary.

Yes the acting was good, and the story was intriguing, but the real beauty of this film lies in its bones.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: