3 Point Disparity is Going to Be A Killer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: 3 Point Disparity is Going to Be A Killer

Winning Teams Last Night:
Rox shot 12-29 (41%)
Spurs shot 14-28 (50%)
Pelicans shot 4-17 (but had 62 rebounds compared to Lakers' 36 rebounds).

Losing Teams Last Night:
Lakers shot 3-10 (30%)
Orlando shot 4-11 (36%), lost by 17.
Dallas shot 8-21 (38%), lost by 1.

Of course this is just a one night sample, but the trend with the better NBA teams is to take and make 3 pointers. We are hovering around the 3 point #s that Scott wants (10 3pas). When we shoot a low FG%, and can't rebound in an elite fashion (like the Pelicans did despite a low 3 point %), we're in for some trouble. We just can't "catch up" with teams just by shooting low % long 2s.

I hope Scott reconsiders his offensive scheme a bit. I see no corner 3s, and way too many 18-20 foot jumpers, which teams will let the Lakers shoot.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject:

I said from day 1 of TC when Scott made those comments, it was a mistake with this team to take that stance. There are teams that need to play MDA/high volume 3 point shooting an there are teams that don't.

If you have the 1 on 1 talent, if you have the guys that can actually create and make shots within the paint area or mid-range, you can run an offense without such heavy reliance on 3 point shooting.

The team we had in 2012, they could have run an offense with only 1 player designated for the 3 pointer and done fine. This team can not. The example of the Grizzlies is a good one for me. They've been a top 4 West team the last few years and not shot a lot of 3's. But they have had the talent. They had 2 all-star caliber big guys in Randolph/Marc Gasol.

Our team is basically Kobe and a lot of solid backups. This strategy just won't work. Guys who are role players, most often are best utilized shooting the spot up 3, than trying to do something more complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

who on this team do you exactly wan tto shoot the 3 ??
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

I posted yesterday that last year when Blake beat the Rox with his last second jumper, we made 16-35 3s. Of course we're not going to shoot that many, but we cannot leave 27 points (difference in 3 pointers, I know this is a crude stat) on the table that we have to make up with turnovers and and-1s. This is simply not the modern way of playing since other teams will hopelessly lap us by shooting more 3s.

Sigh. And I loved Scott as a player, but if he keeps this strategy, I fear he will be a 2 and out coach.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

You want to keep defenses honest. Because the Rockets (and I'm sure other good D teams) will see Lakers don't shoot from outside at all, they'll just sink in their D and make it that much harder for Lin to drive, Kobe to post up and our bigs to work the glass inside. It's not that complicated. You don't need to shoot 30 a night, but 10 is also way too little. Somewhere in between is about right with this team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
freethrow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

Another thing to consider is, if we don't believe in shooting 3s, do we shoot a lot of 3s in practice? How are we gonna defend against 3 point shooting teams if we don't practice against it? Our worst losses so far are against Warriors and Rockets, both 3 point shooting teams, and it looked at times that we were giving them the shot, daring them to shoot the 3...
ghostowl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

As much as I agree with you, Lakers have no reliable 3 shooters
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

Wes for example, should be in the corner 3 pocket; he's usually at the 18-20 foot range for some bizarre reason.

Other guys should be learning to hit the corner 3 but I fear we will rarely see that shot. It's really an antiquated system that doesn't fit the personnel.

I agree that this team shouldn't sniff MDA-level 3 point shooting, but the spacing on this team is horrific.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Wes for example, should be in the corner 3 pocket; he's usually at the 18-20 foot range for some bizarre reason.

Other guys should be learning to hit the corner 3 but I fear we will rarely see that shot. It's really an antiquated system that doesn't fit the personnel.

I agree that this team shouldn't sniff MDA-level 3 point shooting, but the spacing on this team is horrific.

Funny a year ago most thought having Nick Young on the team was a bad joke now the team desperately misses Nick Young lol
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I posted yesterday that last year when Blake beat the Rox with his last second jumper, we made 16-35 3s. Of course we're not going to shoot that many, but we cannot leave 27 points (difference in 3 pointers, I know this is a crude stat) on the table that we have to make up with turnovers and and-1s. This is simply not the modern way of playing since other teams will hopelessly lap us by shooting more 3s.

Sigh. And I loved Scott as a player, but if he keeps this strategy, I fear he will be a 2 and out coach.

Quite right.

I was genuinely hoping that Scott was trolling during pre-season about the limited 3's comment.

our spacing is terrible, and not utilising the 3 point shots as a tool to alleviate this problem is alarming. All teams need to do is pack the paint a la what they did today especially towards Lin and Kobe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Funny a year ago most thought having Nick Young on the team was a bad joke now the team desperately misses Nick Young lol

It's really not about trying to achieve maximum 3 point volume. As Wolf said, it's about spacing and having a colorable 3 point threat. Did you see how the Rox started packing in the lane since the Lakers were unwilling to shoot 3s?

And today's NBA players are quick/long enough to contest 18-20 foot jumpers. Defensive schemes also allow you to cover more ground when you as a team have decided to reduce the spatial boundaries from 23'9 to basically 18-20 feet. That's a LOT of ground you are conceding.

If a team like the Spurs/Rox get hot with 3 point shooting for a night, say 12-25, they will blow the Lakers out of the water.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Yeah, thus far, Wes is looking like cash from the 3.

The rockets just crowded the key and rushed any attempts at penetration, paying special attention to denying Randle in the post.

Sad Lin was such a flop against his old team ... kinda week. It's supposed to work the other way around (see: Trevor Ariza).
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

We shot plenty of them last year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
We shot plenty of them last year.

It's called balance.

We need to have credible outside threats. When teams know we will be TAKING 10-12 3s they will pack the lane.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

What exacerbates this, is that a lot of our shots were mid-range 2s. If you're going to avoid the 3-ball, then you need to score inside because they're high percentage.

If we're going to live and die by mid-range 2s, we're in a lot of trouble.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
What exacerbates this, is that a lot of our shots were mid-range 2s. If you're going to avoid the 3-ball, then you need to score inside because they're high percentage.

There were plenty of decent shooters and ballers in free agency (ariza, thomas, lance, etc.,) but our FO's offseason strategy and cap space management failed in spectacular fashion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

There were plenty of decent shooters and ballers in free agency (ariza, thomas, lance, etc.,) but our FO's offseason strategy and cap space management failed in spectacular fashion.

Well, if you coin it that way, they didn't fail in that one aspect. They have about $30m to play with (though it appears unlikely we will snag a top tier free agent next summer if we are rebuilding again).
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Yin, i hear ya... but it's also why the spurs are raising another banner soon.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fan4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, if you coin it that way, they didn't fail in that one aspect. They have about $30m to play with (though it appears unlikely we will snag a top tier free agent next summer if we are rebuilding again).

I hear ya, just not sure how this team is going to land the big fish with the mess of a roster we have right now.

Selfishly, I wish we would've have given up the Melo pipe dream and snagged the lower tier (but high quality) players. The playoffs would've been a realistic goal at least. Guys like Lin/Price, Wes J., Boozer really shouldn't be starting on a professional basketball team.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I doubt anything is that well thought out. Byron's just rolling the ball out on the floor and focusing on defense like he did with his other teams. Most of the "sets" devolve into 1-on-1 plays anyway where just getting a clean shot off is a success. If the players liked shooting 3's I suspect we would shoot more 3's.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

We don't have the personnel to shoot the 3 ball nor we have the personnel to play the slowdown/defensive game. I don't understand what the team is doing. The offense looks horrible and we are not really playing good defense so what the hell are they doing in practice?
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

yea i cannot understand a coach in the modern nba whose stated intention or gameplan by design is to avoid the 3.

for a team without the requiste talent, 3 pointers are the great equalizer.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

Just to add to the stink of our offense thus far:

http://deadspin.com/oh-man-the-lakers-are-in-big-big-trouble-1652192800

To summarize:
1) We have no reliable 3 pt shooters
2) We have no reliable interior post play to free up even mediocre shooters (Kobe posting, then fading from 12+ out doesn't count as interior)
3) We have no one who can break down the D consistently to free up shooters aside from an inconsistent Lin.

Forecast: 25 wins and I'm being generous.

Oh and our starters on 'D' are matadors
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

Sad to say, but is it possible Kobe's PPG > total # of Lakers wins this season?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sad to say, but is it possible Kobe's PPG > total # of Lakers wins this season?

geez, the way it looking, that seems extremely likely. I can't believe this might be a worse season than the last.

I guess I'm going to be just rooting hard against certain teams. And the teams i do not want to make it to the finals are, in order, clippers, spurs, cavs. I obviously do not want the celtics to win it but i won't mention teams that don't have a chance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: