Isaiah Thomas says he "envisioned himself" playing for the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Isaiah Thomas says he "envisioned himself" playing for the Lakers

Quote:
First off, it’s the Los Angeles Lakers. Who wouldn’t want to play for them? Second off, I felt like they always needed a point guard — a small guard like myself. I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers, but like you said, they were waiting on Carmelo and other moves. The Suns came out of nowhere and showed a lot of interest, and I fell in love with them.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-isaiah-thomas-on-the-suns-u-dub-love-and-sweating-out-the-draft/

I can't believe some fans on here believed we didn't miss out on quality free-agents by going after Melo and LeBron.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I thought he'd be here as well...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

There goes Kobe again, driving away free agents.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I'll admit I didn't want him. At least not for the crazy contracts some here were trying to give him...but for the deal he got I was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'll admit I didn't want him. At least not for the crazy contracts some here were trying to give him...but for the deal he got I was wrong.

Yeah, his was a real nice deal.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

We weren't paying a second guy coming off the bench 7 million a year for the next 5 seasons.

It's really that simple.

If you look at how the contracts worked out, the Lakers first move after Pau left was re-signing their big man Jordan Hill. This was a move made 3 weeks before Ed Davis signed with us so we can't say there was foresight there either.

We picked a center but we wisely made his 2nd year a team option and we re-signed Young to a good deal. Davis has been a pleasant surprise.

But Hill's was the biggest contract we spent this season, and then if you look at everyone else that was signed or was here at that time. If we'd spent 7 million on Thomas that's about 4 players off our current team.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but when things lineup, we were smart to re-sign Hill once Pau left, there was no guarantee we'd have landed Davis weeks later. So before you start bashing the Lakers for not spending 7 million first year 6 million for the next 5 on Thomas, look at the timeline and who the Lakers already had at the time. It wasn't happening for that much money.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I think we would have gone after him if we didn't have Nash. MJST is right (no matter how terrifying his avatar is ) in the sense that that was the Lakers line of thinking. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but I would have rather paid IT22 $7 to be the back up guard than give J Hill $9M. If he and Swaggy couldn't co-exist off the bench then I think its would be much easier to move his K
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

As much as I like Isaiah Thomas' game, I don't see any ball-dominant, scoring point guard flourishing as long as Kobe is here. Mario Chalmers would have been a better fit.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Last night Lin looked like the Asian Darius Morris, Thomas would have looked like the miniature Darius Morris
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Last night Lin looked like the Asian Darius Morris

Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Isaiah Thomas says he "envisioned himself" playing for the Lakers

crackadon wrote:
Quote:
First off, it’s the Los Angeles Lakers. Who wouldn’t want to play for them? Second off, I felt like they always needed a point guard — a small guard like myself. I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers, but like you said, they were waiting on Carmelo and other moves. The Suns came out of nowhere and showed a lot of interest, and I fell in love with them.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-isaiah-thomas-on-the-suns-u-dub-love-and-sweating-out-the-draft/

I can't believe some fans on here believed we didn't miss out on quality free-agents by going after Melo and LeBron.

Yep. Blame Mitch.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
pmacla wrote:
Last night Lin looked like the Asian Darius Morris

True that but the spacing and offense on this team is horrible? Who is he going to kick it to? Wes , Xavier, Sacre?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

This is what pisses me off about the current laker management. They really have no vision. None zilch.

We want a guru defensive coach...let's hire mike brown. 1 year later screw defense we want offense let's hire mda. On top of that the players they get are the definition of randomness. Outside of going for the obvious big name free agents they have no imagination.

Thomas would of been way better than Lin. Buy Lin gets the Lakers more money via the Chinese market. Lakers have become the Knicks.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I really wanted Isiah Thomas in FA I would take him any day over Lin.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Thomas could have been a Laker except we drafted Chukwudiebere Maduabum, Ater Majok, Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock instead. We had 4 freaking second round picks in 2011 and passed on Thomas each time. I couldn't believe my eyes.
stewjoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If you look at how the contracts worked out, the Lakers first move after Pau left was re-signing their big man Jordan Hill. This was a move made 3 weeks before Ed Davis signed with us so we can't say there was foresight there either.

We picked a center but we wisely made his 2nd year a team option and we re-signed Young to a good deal. Davis has been a pleasant surprise.

Actually going with a team option for the second year was also a mistake. Should have been a non-guaranteed second year. Makes him much more tradeable as there is no need to pick up the team option or get his consent. Also, the non-guaranteed part could allow us to pick up some salary and provide instant relief next year.
Was not a significant difference to Hill, but a big blunder by the FO. I highly doubt that Hill had so many other teams offering $9M that we couldn't have made that small change.
artoo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

The development after being draft is a huge factor. If he was drafted by the Lakers, would he has the playing time to develop? Treasure hunting is only a part of the draft game.

OCWA wrote:
Thomas could have been a Laker except we drafted Chukwudiebere Maduabum, Ater Majok, Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock instead. We had 4 freaking second round picks in 2011 and passed on Thomas each time. I couldn't believe my eyes.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers made a mistake not getting Isiah Thomas this past summer, the guy is a gamer and has a Nick Van Exel edge to him. He would have made Lin more expendable, as I'm not impressed with his game at all. At this point I see no reason why Mitch would give any money to Lin, he plays to fast and is always on the verge of a TO.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

Lakers made a mistake not getting Isiah Thomas this past summer, the guy is a gamer and has a Nick Van Exel edge to him. He would have made Lin more expendable, as I'm not impressed with his game at all. At this point I see no reason why Mitch would give any money to Lin, he plays to fast and is always on the verge of a TO.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Lakers could've had both IT and Lance at a bargain price. Instead they chose to overpay Hill, trade for Lin, and sign Boozer to replace Pau. The FO really screwed the pooch with this one.

The Lakers better hope they suck enough to keep their top 5 protected pick next year.

Kiss my Converse.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure Thomas is relieved that it didn't end up happening.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
The Lakers could've had both IT and Lance at a bargain price. Instead they chose to overpay Hill, trade for Lin, and sign Boozer to replace Pau. The FO really screwed the pooch with this one.

The Lakers better hope they suck enough to keep their top 5 protected pick next year.

This. There's no excuse for this type of incompetence from our front office.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject:

The cap space plan was in jeopardy and we were holding making any moves for lebron pipe

Did i get it right?
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We weren't paying a second guy coming off the bench 7 million a year for the next 5 seasons.

He is better basketball player than Nash ever was IMO
mab0824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

That's a depressing quote. I hope we don't make the same mistake this year and hold out hope for a franchise player free agent. The way I see it there are only 6-7 true franchise number one's in thisleauge. We need to stop trying to find the next kobe/shaq/magic/KAJ and focus on building a TEAM. Isiah Thomas would have been awesome
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: