Byron's 7 Threes or Less Offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Byron's 7 Threes or Less Offense

At what point does one of his assistants or hell, even one of the players, tell this old geezer that his "offense" is just plain offensive to the game of basketball?
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I love those coaches' philosophies...MD "100+ point per game," and now BS "less than 7 three." Can we have something called "balance"?
jager67
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

thurloly wrote:
I love those coaches' philosophies...MD "100+ point per game," and now BS "less than 7 three." Can we have something called "balance"?

This team looks hideous.....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Clever title op.

I wonder if byron will be the reason why free agents don't want to play here next season. Take that Abbott.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Byron's 7 Threes or Less Offense

!...
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Byron's offense is stagnant offense by design
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Dantoni was way better than him. He is nothing special on defense, and has no offensive sets.

Horrible coach. Hopefully gets canned early in the season.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

dp
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

Last edited by Drifts on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Byron's offense was to be expected. Why are people even focusing on O, when we scored 50 and gave up 59 in the 1st? Wheels always seem to fall off on a 2nd night on the road of a B2B in the 2nd half.

What's scary and criticism warranted is the area Byron spent so much time on and focuses - D/Conditioning - so far looks just where it was last year. So you have just as bad D (almost) with worse O.

Great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

freaking running 80's offense in 2014 is NOT going to work.

another miserable yr. the players have given up already in the 2nd game lol
clockwork247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

good for the draft pick... don't see this team winning any games this year.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Shoulda stopped running those damn suicides and focused on basketball.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Princeton offense just has no place in today's NBA. We should be looking at the Spurs offensive system as a base where to start and Chicago's defensive strategies.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Princeton offense just has no place in today's NBA. We should be looking at the Spurs offensive system as a base where to start and Chicago's defensive strategies.

Spurs system requires good passers, and 3 point threats. This team has NONE.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

At least that pick is pretty much in the bag now.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Or...and just saying "or" here.....

It could be that we have a lot of new players (some who are still not completely healthy), who are not familiar with each other, or the offensive system, which bleeds over to the defense.....

Just saying....

ZOOM!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Clever title op.

I wonder if byron will be the reason why free agents don't want to play here next season. Take that Abbott.

This was something i always credited MDA for. As long as MDA was here, we could get guys like Farmar and Nick Young willing to take 1-year deals for less money, knowing they'd be playing in a stat-inflating offense. In the process, they could make themselves into more desirable midseason trade pieces.

Now we're playing in a bogged-down Kobe-only offense. Forget superstars for a second. What 2nd/3rd tier players are going to want to come here and play in this putrid offense? Whose trade value will be raised on Byron's watch?

I said it all along: MDA to Byron was a substantial downgrade. The only reason we did it was because Kobe didn't want to play for him. We had to hire a worse coach to satisfy Kobe. I don't buy the Abbott "kobe is killing the team from the inside" stuff, but on this point, he did hurt the team.
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:

turrible offense; lack lustre defense.

not sure what was improved on during training camp.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Clever title op.

This was something i always credited MDA for. As long as MDA was here, we could get guys like Farmar and Nick Young willing to take 1-year deals for less money, knowing they'd be playing in a stat-inflating offense. In the process, they could make themselves into more desirable midseason trade pieces.

Now we're playing in a bogged-down Kobe-only offense. Forget superstars for a second. What 2nd/3rd tier players are going to want to come here and play in this putrid offense? Whose trade value will be raised on Byron's watch?

I said it all along: MDA to Byron was a substantial downgrade. The only reason we did it was because Kobe didn't want to play for him. We had to hire a worse coach to satisfy Kobe. I don't buy the Abbott "kobe is killing the team from the inside" stuff, but on this point, he did hurt the team.

Yessir. Kobe didn't directly hurt the team, but the fact that they're still catering to his needs and trying to build around a 36-year-old coming off two major injuries doesn't help at all. If the end result was going to be what we're seeing on the floor today anyway, who gives a (bleep) about Kobe's pride? You paid him $48M, that should be enough to keep him satisfied while we do a complete rebuild.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Clever title op.

We could have hired Lionel Hollins or Mark Jackson who were better coaches than Scott and MDA or even went in a new fresh direction with Derek Fisher but instead the front office sat on their hands until Scott was the only option available. It had nothing to do with Kobe.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Other than Kobe, Who can really score? You can't simply blame B Scot.
jager67
Star Player
Star Player

clockwork247 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

good for the draft pick... don't see this team winning any games this year.

I wish I could make a good argument, but I cant.....
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PhoenixForce wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Clever title op.

We could have hired Lionel Hollins or Mark Jackson who were better coaches than Scott and MDA or even went in a new fresh direction with Derek Fisher but instead the front office sat on their hands until Scott was the only option available. It had nothing to do with Kobe.

Mark Jackson was either not offered the job because the front office didn't want to hire him, or he wasn't interested. Derek Fisher wasn't interested in the Laker job. Hollins might have been interested, but why didn't we hire him if he was the better coach?

At any rate, MDA being fired had everything to do with Kobe. The only guys that complained about playing for him last year (Pau and Kaman) were gone.
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Clever title op.

Mark Jackson was either not offered the job because the front office didn't want to hire him, or he wasn't interested. Derek Fisher wasn't interested in the Laker job. Hollins might have been interested, but why didn't we hire him if he was the better coach?

At any rate, MDA being fired had everything to do with Kobe. The only guys that complained about playing for him last year (Pau and Kaman) were gone.

Hill is still around.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
Other than Kobe, Who can really score? You can't simply blame B Scot.

it's one thing to see bad players miss shots on a good offensive system... it's another to see bad players miss shots in a bad system.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: