The Lakers roster is a complete and utter embarrassment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Haha funny how people are starting to appreciate MDA. MDA is a very good to great coach IMO, just not for a Kobe Bryant led team.
With any above average PG, his team wins 40 games easily.

For crying out loud, Steve Blake was a triple double machine under MDA for a while, Kendell Marshall one of the assist leaders in the NBA...

BScott is nowhere near MDA. The decision to part ways with MDA ultimately waa a good one but we seriously needed to go for Karl or Hollins.

Hiring Byron was a PR move. Lakers ties, no Phil ties. Perfect.
The only PR there is in the end is winning or losing though.

People are mistakenly appreciating D'Antoni's smooth, high scoring offense, rather than D'Antoni himself.

No one has ever accused D'Antoni of not knowing how to get his teams to score. Given a chance to select his roster, offense is his bailiwick. It's coupling that high-powered offense, into competent defense, and turning a team into a true contender where D'Antoni falls short. With Phoenix, with New York, and with the Lakers.

People need to keep in mind that B.Scott had no decision making on our current roster. When B.Scott was hired, the team was already assembled. So, he has to work with what he's got. To top it off, the Lakers started off the this season with an injured roster.

These things will mess with chemistry between players, and familiarity with offensive/defensive sets.

Lakers FO did a piss poor job of trying to cater to the stars they were trying to lure in, and dropped the ball during free agency. They neglected to hire a coach, who would then help assemble a roster to his liking. And, potentially missed out on lesser signings, while trying to land a big one. Kobe's contract had nothing to do with the Laker FO's sub-par performance.

It is what it is, and we just have to be patient, and hope we get healthier, and better.

ZOOM!
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Haha funny how people are starting to appreciate MDA. MDA is a very good to great coach IMO, just not for a Kobe Bryant led team.

For crying out loud, Steve Blake was a triple double machine under MDA for a while, Kendell Marshall one of the assist leaders in the NBA...

BScott is nowhere near MDA. The decision to part ways with MDA ultimately waa a good one but we seriously needed to go for Karl or Hollins.

People are mistakenly appreciating D'Antoni's smooth, high scoring offense, rather than D'Antoni himself.

No one has ever accused D'Antoni of not knowing how to get his teams to score. Given a chance to select his roster, offense is his bailiwick. It's coupling that high-powered offense, into competent defense, and turning a team into a true contender where D'Antoni falls short. With Phoenix, with New York, and with the Lakers.

People need to keep in mind that B.Scott had no decision making on our current roster. When B.Scott was hired, the team was already assembled. So, he has to work with what he's got. To top it off, the Lakers started off the this season with an injured roster.

These things will mess with chemistry between players, and familiarity with offensive/defensive sets.

Lakers FO did a piss poor job of trying to cater to the stars they were trying to lure in, and dropped the ball during free agency. They neglected to hire a coach, who would then help assemble a roster to his liking. And, potentially missed out on lesser signings, while trying to land a big one. Kobe's contract had nothing to do with the Laker FO's sub-par performance.

It is what it is, and we just have to be patient, and hope we get healthier, and better.

I'm giving Byron Scott a free pass this season.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
paymonM wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Jim did say he was gonna resign if the team wasn't contending in 3-4 years..... so the Buss family might sell the team by that time if this ship doesn't turn around soon.

And you believe him ?

Jim will probably fire Mitch first, then blame all the bad decisions on him. That should buy him a few more years...

Every time I've been on a job with a grossly unqualified supervisor or director, when things go bad they just blame someone else. It's never their fault. I don't suspect Jimbo is any different. He'll find an excuse to kick the can down the road. Get used to it Lakers fans, this is what his Dad wanted, so I don't see the family going against those wishes!
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Ask yourself a simple question, and answer without being delusional, if you were a fa why on earth would you go to lal? The beach, that's about it. No amount of pr from Jeanie will convince me that kobe's not a dck and that management is a complete trainwreck.
giving away Bynum and gasol for no assets
giving away picks for nash
the choice of brown
the choice of mda
kobes contract
hills contract
letting meeks go
letting bazemore go

jerry buss must be scratching at his grave to get out and strangle jim and mitch.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

^^^Ditto!!! This roster is not B Scott's fault. It's a culmination of bad decisions by the front office the last 3 seasons. Sure D. Stern started it by nixing the trade, but it's been one piss poor move after the other since then.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Its the worst roster I have seen from the Lakers in my lifetime.

And you haven't seen all of it, too many guys still out with injury. Sometimes you have to hit bottom to get to the top. And contrary to popular opinion here, it usually takes more than a season or two.

not true. they had freaking tons of money around what 28 million dollars of cap space and they wasted it away instead of putting pieces together

thats some BS right there. in that 28mil you get

Deng @10
Stephenson @9
Isiah Thomas @8

And with that you get guaranteed mediocrity for whatever the length of those three contracts are. No thanks.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Do not think the Lakers would win if they fielded a starting 5 of all-stars?

Now I know, some of you just read what I wrote there and here's what I meant--even a team of all-stars, if they played and executed (or lack there-of) like this current Lakers team, they probably wouldn't win either.

In other words, if the team cannot do things like defend the 3 pointer and shoots an absurd low number of 3 pointers to the point that it doesn't do anything to help open up space? If the other team outrebounds (offensively and defensively)? If the other team makes the 3's at will? If opposing defenses to pack the paint and defend solely against dribble penetration, post-ups and mid-range pick-and-pops. If the team cannot grasp and execute it's complicated mixture offensive strategies. If the team doesn't pass the ball around, but instead stands around to watch as Kobe tries to magically put the ball through the hoop...

Yes, do not think a Lakers team of all-stars starters could win like that. Of course, somebody out there is probably thinking that if the Lakers had a squad of all-star starters, they'd alter their strategy to accommodate their skill-set? But understand what I'm trying to say is the Lakers could already alter their strategy with the current bunch they have and it would likely increase their chances to win games.

While the Lakers could use on their roster a few more players that have a more refined and polished skill-set, I don't think the Lakers problems are merely a matter of just acquiring better players.

I want you to think about how much better they might play if Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich was coaching this team? Two of the greatest NBA coaches ever. I'm not saying this current bunch of Lakers would make the playoffs (this year) with either of coach coaching them, but I think they would be playing much better as a team. Why that is, I think, comes to down to having a philosophy, executing a system that players buy into, and having players where their skill set fits that system.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
The problem is I don't think any team would trade for Kobe and that exorbitant salary. He screwed himself when he signed that deal(he probably didn't think we would be this bad)....is there any team 1 Kobe Bryant away who want to add 48 million dollars to their cap space to compete for a title during a 2 year window? Even then, it's not guaranteed. He's not going anywhere.

Knicks....Kobe for Amare.......Knicks get a chance to go past the 1st round.
Lakers get to exchange that bad contract for one that expires this year...so they have more money to sign better players. I don't want Kobe to leave but man its sad to watch him play with this garbage of a roster.

I would like to see Kobe get another shot at a championship as well, I could see the Knicks and Kobe working something out, especially if the Knicks can beat another contender. The Cavs are a very good team and the Knicks beat them on the road, no small accomplishment.
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

"Why that is, I think, comes to down to having a philosophy, executing a system that players buy into, and having players where their skill set fits that system." correct! The only team that has a system is SA, and now maybe NY. Even they got blown out by Chicago, I saw something good about NY as they spoiled the cavs last night. They executed their offense with patience, fisher subbed wisely, and they actually played great defense, especially in the middle without a big man. With this kind of system, coach, sharpshooters like melo, jr, calderone they might become a team where fa's might want to go.
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
individually it's probably not the worst, but as a collection of parts it's the most incompatibly assembled team i've ever seen.

Yup, how can a team in todays NBA expect to win without a few players that can shoot? We have a bunch of role players and not one of those players role is to shoot. These players don't fit together.

Our C spot is made up of two garbage men and the back up in Davis making minimum money is better than the started Hill making $10 million.

Boozer is old and slow

We don't have a SF

Kobe, old and needs help

Lin, just another PG we hyped up just like any other time we got a PG under 30
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I said this during the off season but the Lakers have no "real" starting Center or SF. The C we use are PF's that are being stretched to play C. And our starting SF is a bench guy on any other team.

It will take some time to rebuild but we and the FO needs to understand that we are indeed rebuilding; nothing more, nothing less....tough for Kobe to spend his last basketball years on such a mission; he should move on...
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

^^^Ditto!!! This roster is not B Scott's fault. It's a culmination of bad decisions by the front office the last 3 seasons. Sure D. Stern started it by nixing the trade, but it's been one piss poor move after the other since then.

There are some that think Jim and Mitch have done a good job. I have been criticized by several posters by taking the same position as you have. Stern is always part of the excuse for the Lakers plight, I agree it's been one bad move after the other since then.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
individually it's probably not the worst, but as a collection of parts it's the most incompatibly assembled team i've ever seen.

Yup, how can a team in todays NBA expect to win without a few players that can shoot? We have a bunch of role players and not one of those players role is to shoot. These players don't fit together.

Our C spot is made up of two garbage men and the back up in Davis making minimum money is better than the started Hill making $10 million.

Boozer is old and slow

We don't have a SF

Kobe, old and needs help

A backcourt that couldn't contain dribble penetration if their lives depended on it combined with the worst help defender in basketball and Carlos Boozer starting behind them. It's the basketball equivalent of mixing ammonia with bleach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

The roster isn't his fault, but the offensive and defensive systems are.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

What coach could win with this team? This team sucks.
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Be real interesting if you guys feel that way by the end of the year.

Regardless of the roster (yeah...it's bad), as in 3 years in Cleveland, his defensive system will repeatedly prove to...

1) be unable to keep up with good ball movement
2) be unable to effectively make secondary rotations

...basically be unable to consistently defend a spread out offense / floor.

His offense...unable to see how spreading the floor actually HELPS and doesn't hurt effective penetration, his prized lane will be clogged and his offense will often bog down, resulting in a lot of Kyrie, oops I mean Kobe 1 on 3+ possessions. How long can 36 year old Kobe carry that kind of responsibility and load...I guess we will find out
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Many people here won't admit it, but there is a good chance that the good FAs do not have the Lakers on their list because it's not an attractive destination right now and it will most likely continue in the near future. The Kobe extension only made the Lakers less attractive, not more. Before you start blasting Mitch, just slow down and think of the reasons why a player wouldn't want to come here. It's not that hard to come up with such a list.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Tagurt wrote:
Many people here won't admit it, but there is a good chance that the good FAs do not have the Lakers on their list because it's not an attractive destination right now and it will most likely continue in the near future. The Kobe extension only made the Lakers less attractive, not more. Before you start blasting Mitch, just slow down and think of the reasons why a player wouldn't want to come here. It's not that hard to come up with such a list.

People, please stop with this kind of weak, phantom generalization for why "free agents are scared of the Lakers! no one wants to come here!".

Please specify who these free agents you're speaking of that have stated they don't want to play for the Lakers, and the reason(s) they gave. If you can't come up with any, then drop it.

Lebron, Melo, and Bosh were not coming to the Lakers. Lebron cares too much about his image to be seen as a roaming mercenary. Melo was not going to give up money to go a Lakers team that is the equivalent of the Knicks, but in a waaaaay tougher conference. Bosh had only eyes for Miami, or Houston.

LA had the chance, and money, to go after lesser free agents, but solid ones. Deng, and L.Stevenson, come foremost to mind. But, they opted to wait on the big fish, while other teams scooped up the smaller fishes. In the end, the Lakers were left with minnows.

Now, it's up to Kobe and B.Scott to maximize what we have, and hope it's enough to be competitive.

ZOOM!
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Boybees wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

And you haven't seen all of it, too many guys still out with injury. Sometimes you have to hit bottom to get to the top. And contrary to popular opinion here, it usually takes more than a season or two.

not true. they had freaking tons of money around what 28 million dollars of cap space and they wasted it away instead of putting pieces together

Deng @10
Stephenson @9
Isiah Thomas @8

And with that you get guaranteed mediocrity for whatever the length of those three contracts are. No thanks.

Isiah thomas
Kobe
Stevenson
Boozer
Davis

with deng and randle off the bench is mediocrity? I think not. That's a contender easily, especially if we had someone like karl or hollins coaching
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject:

ROTL wrote:
Boybees wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

Deng @10
Stephenson @9
Isiah Thomas @8

Isiah thomas
Kobe
Stevenson
Boozer
Davis

with deng and randle off the bench is mediocrity? I think not. That's a contender easily, especially if we had someone like karl or hollins coaching

That's a 45 win team at absolute best.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ROTL wrote:
Boybees wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

Deng @10
Stephenson @9
Isiah Thomas @8

Isiah thomas
Kobe
Stevenson
Boozer
Davis

That's a 45 win team at absolute best.

That still leaves a max slot in 2015 and a 2nd max slot in 2016 when Kobe's $ rolls off (possibly way more than a 2nd max slot after the new CBA).
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Boozer is old and slow

We don't have a SF

Kobe, old and needs help

Positives:

Still have Kobe who always has a shot at 40 pts in a game

Laker girls

Don't have to try to fiqure out what D'Antoni' is saying on the radio after a a game...
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Tears everywher on the board! We can't be on top every year we tried everything we could to hit home runs it didn't happen. We are going to haft to rebuild give it time.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

Deng @10
Stephenson @9
Isiah Thomas @8

and all minimums from there - sacre, davis and kelly is your front line? we'd be barely better than we are now and locked in for multi years on those guys. i'd rather bottom out
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
People, please stop with this kind of weak, phantom generalization for why "free agents are scared of the Lakers! no one wants to come here!".

Please specify who these free agents you're speaking of that have stated they don't want to play for the Lakers, and the reason(s) they gave. If you can't come up with any, then drop it.

No FA would outright say they won't play for a team. Looking at how this offseason turned out it's not unreasonable to assume that FAs have the Lakers very low on their list. You would have to think Kupchak is stunted enough to not try to go for someone like Stephenson or IT. Look at all the recent acquisitions in the past several seasons. None of the players came to this team by choice except Nash, and we had to give up four draft picks for him. Dwight supposedly had the Lakers as his third team after Brooklyn and Houston before he came to LA. Lin was traded. Boozer was claimed off the amnesty waiver. Our FAs in the past three years is a 39 year old Nash, Nick Young, Jordan Hill, and Ed Davis. It doesn't take much to conclude that the Lakers is not a haven for FAs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: