You swing for a homerun, you hit some, you miss some. Mitch's strategy.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

We could have loaded the bases this year and hit a grand slam in 2015 or 2016. It's depressing that we didn't do that.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
You make those moves, we're still losing (by 10 instead of 20), and people are complaining that we played small ball instead of going for the home run and they know for a FACT we would have landed Melo or LBJ had we not given up on them so early.

Not if u had 2 bulldogs on 2yr deal like deng, lance

2 2way players for a coach who is preaching defense?

There wont be any harden/dragic & bledsoe driving go the hoop like its their 5on5 practice time
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

stephenson was a HUGE miss...

a wing player that can do it all with that contract?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
petergr wrote:
24 wrote:
So why did he end up on a two year deal in charlotte?

He wanted to enter free agency after the new CBA deal...same strategy used by lots of players now. He asked Indy to give a shorter deal and they did not agree.

I agree with most of the things that Mitch did this summer but not going after Lance is a head scratcher. Getting above average 2-way wing players in really hard. Getting average PGs like Sessions or Thomas is a lot more easier because there are lots of them.

And getting above average, 2-way wing players in their mid-20's for less than $10M over 3 years is really, really, really hard.

Agreed but let's go beyond the specifics of Lance for one second.

The question still needs to be asked. If we have the same amount of money to offer as the next team for even say the next elite defensive big man much less tier 1 superstar.

What entices him here then? This is the treadmill to worry about. 2015? Same (bleep) as this year. Still no answer to this MAJOR question.

Nothing right now. This is where the Randle injury screws us. In addition to stunting his on court development, now no one knows what type of asset he is as a player.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
petergr wrote:
24 wrote:
So why did he end up on a two year deal in charlotte?

He wanted to enter free agency after the new CBA deal...same strategy used by lots of players now. He asked Indy to give a shorter deal and they did not agree.

I agree with most of the things that Mitch did this summer but not going after Lance is a head scratcher. Getting above average 2-way wing players in really hard. Getting average PGs like Sessions or Thomas is a lot more easier because there are lots of them.

And getting above average, 2-way wing players in their mid-20's for less than $10M over 3 years is really, really, really hard.

Agreed but let's go beyond the specifics of Lance for one second.

The question still needs to be asked. If we have the same amount of money to offer as the next team for even say the next elite defensive big man much less tier 1 superstar.

What entices him here then? This is the treadmill to worry about. 2015? Same (bleep) as this year. Still no answer to this MAJOR question.

Nothing right now. This is where the Randle injury screws us. In addition to stunting his on court development, now no one knows what type of asset he is as a player.

Randle alone is not going to attract anybody
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
petergr wrote:
To people who think you can get Asik for 11 million and Chandler for 5 million....good luck with that. Their current teams are not stupid to acquire them by giving up assets and letting them go in free agency.

And that basically goes back to the original conversation. Assuming they can offer more than us. What selling point would have for them to leave their teams?

Join a lottery bound squad? Houston's 2nd rounder is the next Magic Johnson?

We need a foundation.

Getting a decent coach with modern schemes should have also been a priority. Does anyone really feel enticed to sign with the lakers and play in this type of offensive/defensive scheme...free agents, at least major ones, do consider if the team they're willing to sign with has the better coach.

Like you said, Foundation needs to start somewhere. I worry that they have major holes within the org after the buss children took over and are no longer functioning at a elite category as they should be given their brand name.

You cant just have the lakers name as the selling point with holes all around the organization. There are many more major market teams with better infrastructure.

Last edited by Nnamdi21 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Still can't make sense of not going after Stephenson & Bledsoe when you could of probably had both. They aren't superstars, but all star caliber players. Combined with Randle you have a core to build on plus a max slot to swing for the fences again in 2016

You don't rebuld while overpaying for players, you overpay when you are there and need that last piece. Bledsoe is vastly overpaid for who he is now, maybe he plays into that contract, but for now he isn't worth what he is being paid. Tie yourself into several of those types of contracts and getting to the title is that much harder. Maybe you can survive one, but I didn't see the guy available this past offseason that was worth it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
The only bright spot is that Jeanie has given this regime 3 years, with this being the first. You don't know how much of a relief it is to know that the clock is ticking on Jim/Mitch and that they wont be here doing what they've been doing for the past few years forever. It's nice to know that their power is not unchecked. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, and that's all I care about at this point.

That is what Jeannie told you, exactly what you wanted to hear. Don't confuse that with any type of action point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

Again, I think the thing that is missing is claiming that Mitch's ability to constantly hit a "home run" trade somehow equals being able to make a "home run" free agent signing. These are two entirely different concepts and Mitch has no track record re: max free agent signing (since we haven't had such cap space since 1996 IIRC).

In order to get the max free agent, you need to show progress or a team that is ready to compete. We just don't have either at this point and this 2015 season is not going to help show prospective free agents both either. I wholeheartedly agreed with going after LBJ/Melo.

But I disagreed about then punting and going into full placeholder mode. You have to show progress and getting a #3 option in free agency is one way of doing it. We could easily have done so and still:

1. kept a max spot for 2015;
2. got a wing player so instead of having multiple holes to fill in 2015 free agency, we can focus on a center;
3. in 2016 Kobe's contract is off the books and the salary cap will rise. So $9m today is not a $9m hit in 2016's salary cap books.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Still can't make sense of not going after Stephenson & Bledsoe when you could of probably had both. They aren't superstars, but all star caliber players. Combined with Randle you have a core to build on plus a max slot to swing for the fences again in 2016

You don't rebuld while overpaying for players, you overpay when you are there and need that last piece. Bledsoe is vastly overpaid for who he is now, maybe he plays into that contract, but for now he isn't worth what he is being paid. Tie yourself into several of those types of contracts and getting to the title is that much harder. Maybe you can survive one, but I didn't see the guy available this past offseason that was worth it.

I disagree that $9m for Lance is "overpaying." We'd still have a max cap space for 2015, a building piece, and in 2016, we have crazy cap space regardless.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Did you see how he impacted the game on both ends of the floor last night? Combined with the fact his game is only growing & more importantly the cap will see a big jump when it's time to go for another "home run" in 2016
As long as we would still have a max slot open in 2016, overpaying (in some opinions) wouldn't be so bad for all star talent when we lack talent

Stephenson at 9-10M can't even be considered anything close to overpaying. Especially at only 2 guaranteed years
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
For sure you have a much lower shot at players like Melo, Lebron etc. vs the guys like Bledsoe, Isiah etc.

I totally agree. But the Lakers won't win a title with Isiah Thomas, Bledsoe and some other decent starters. You need that big fish that gets it all rolling.

I think once LA is able to land that player (and it doesn't have to be more than a top 20 player) you'll see them shift strategy completely.

What they can't afford to do is what Dumars did all those years with the Pistons after he won a title. You know fill the roster out with starters on big K's and no star. It'll be a disaster.

All I'm saying is have some patience with the roster. This isn't Mitch's end game. No way.

Wolf, Shaq would never, EVER have come to the Lakers in 1996 if this was the roster he was walking into.

I get the idea that your team wins via the superstars but right now, the cupboards are BARE. We hvae Kobe ...and?

Let's see in 2015/2016. If we have no 2nd tier players, no 3rd tier player, does anyone in there truly think Westbrook or Durant would even consider coming here? Really?

The selling point then would be ...let me guess.

1. We're the Lakers!

2. We promise to build a roster around you.

These are the Lakers, so I'm definitely going to be patient (been around for 3 decades so what's 3 more) but the philosophy needs to be modified. You're acting like it's black and white in terms of 2nd/3rd tier players...that it's either overpaying or not getting them. That's just not true and this off-season had fantastic bargains to be had. You can't squander those opportunities.

You HAVE to have something in the cupboards or no top tier guy is coming. That's an enormous fact you're ignoring. I absolutely shudder if that's the idea the FO continues to cling on to. They're smarter than that. I hope.

Good points, the bolded especially. The difference between when Shaq came and now is that the Lakers were 5-6 years into a rebuild then while they are in year 1 now. And you said you will be patient, and that is key. To use a cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day. We brought in some nice pieces this past offseason to help in the future, and even one the offseason before. The cupboard should be better stocked in another 2-3 seasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I would of rather took Bledsoe+Stephenson over Melo at 24M a year. Easily

This isn't the NFL where two lineman might be more valuable than one RB. The NBA is a star league, and Bledsoe and Stephenson aren't stars. Melo is.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
This isn't the NFL where two lineman might be more valuable than one RB. The NBA is a star league, and Bledsoe and Stephenson aren't stars. Melo is.

You are so right. The worst strategy for the Lakers is to overpay for mid-level players like Bledsoe and Stephenson. That guarantees endless mediocrity.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

magickobe24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
So basically

Isiah Thomas
Lance Stephenson
Eric Bledsoe
Deng (maybe)
Greg Monroe

Any two of those players but instead what we did was

Give ridiculous contracts to Nick Young and Jordan Hill.
Take back a huge contract in Jeremy Lin
Sign career bench warmer Ronnie Price, and now he's getting major minutes even though he's been getting lit up, and is useless on offense.

Greg Monroe was restricted I believe so that was pipe.

Bledsoe can legitimately be argued was overpaid and I'm inclined to lean that way.

The other 3...not sure if they even gave them a look. Regardless of the holes in their games/size/age, given their production relative to pay, a person would be nuts to think they couldn't be moveable for further assets if they didn't work out here.
not true. not if they asked for too many years.

Jhill has a shot contract since the lakers have a teams option.
Jlin is on his last year.

boozer was dirty cheap.

Fans attack a stategy that they don't understand. The Laker's strategy is to have a max slot available for the upcoming offseasons in case there is an impact player that they can go after. If you don't have the money, you can't go after them. This past offseason they signed players so that they will have that slot available next offseason. As the cap grows and contracts expire, they will be able to bring in some second options for decent prices and still keep that slot available. They couldn't do that this past offseason, Thomas or Stephenson or any other FA that you want to overinflate would never sign a contract that could end after this season. It takes time and it takes patience, don't be spoiled fans and lose sight of the prize. Mediocre, which many in this thread seem to support, isn't the end game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
dino wrote:
Hahaha...I actually emailed league pass support to see if I can cancel my subscription after randle went down...

I bet you weren't alone there. I can see DirectTv customer support bombarded with cancellation rrequests.

Rats flee a ship that is taking on water.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

What is lost with having Stephenson for 2 years + a team option for a 3rd at $9M? Or Isaiah Thomas at $7M per for 4 years?

Those are good deals in the current market, and then when you factor in the anticipated hike in the salary cap in 2016, and they're great deals that wouldn't prohibit anything we'd like to do involving max players.

Yes, we all know that the FO swings for the fences. But guys that ONLY swing for the fences hit .180 and aren't particularly effective. Sometimes it's okay to mix in a single or a double.

What is lost is a max slot next offseason.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

beggers dont have a chance at being picky and we have to overpay RFA talent to come play for us.

next yr the cap i heard is going to be 72mil and then grow in 2016. This contract will look like peanuts then.

Aslo if I am superstar in the making why would the team put the guy on market?

we have to take calculated risks after evaluation.

you want prime lebron/durant who are not coming to this team. I remember last time this year you were 1 of those who said you will only pay Melo aroun 13/15mil per yr and later changed the tune in the summer
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

What is lost with having Stephenson for 2 years + a team option for a 3rd at $9M? Or Isaiah Thomas at $7M per for 4 years?

Those are good deals in the current market, and then when you factor in the anticipated hike in the salary cap in 2016, and they're great deals that wouldn't prohibit anything we'd like to do involving max players.

Yes, we all know that the FO swings for the fences. But guys that ONLY swing for the fences hit .180 and aren't particularly effective. Sometimes it's okay to mix in a single or a double.

What is lost is a max slot next offseason.

there is no player in this coming offseason thats worth a MAX and is going to pick the lakers.

Gasol will go to either resign or go to knicks
Rondo will resign or atleast i dont think he is worth it
LA is going to resign

who is remaining?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
You and every basketball player with a pulse.

I had my math off since I included Nick and my future cap was lower. However, yep to all of it. Same point remains.

No one is answering the question why a free agent would come here for the same money (or less compared to their own teams) to play for a team that has nothing on the roster. That's the biggest take away from this off-season regardless of whether Lebron or whoever was even within the realm of possibility.

There isn't a reason.

And what really chaps my ass is that Kupchak DID cut his teeth with West, and this is what West did after Magic retired.

-Traded Mike Dunleavy for two 2nd round picks.

-Traded Sam Perkins for Doug Christie, an unsigned rookie, & Benoit Benjamin. (after pursuing Jim Jackson, another unsigned rookie)

-Traded Benoit Benjamin for a 2nd Round pick & Sam Bowie.

-Let Byron Scott walk.

-Let AC Green walk.

-Traded a 1st Round pick for Cedric Ceballos.

I'm emphasizing this because this is the most relevant move to our circumstances last summer. West was stock-piling picks and trying to get younger in pretty much every move prior to that, but when a 25 year old player with some ability hit the market, he didn't just sign him...he traded a first round pick for him a year after the Lakers were in the lottery. And he wasn't making runs at the biggest FAs on the market doing those years either.

When young talent is available at a reasonable price...you go after it. You don't just swing for the fences & strike out a lot, or at the other end of the spectrum, mindlessly stockpile picks.

And then 6 years later those moves panned out and the team was a legit threat.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I disagree that $9m for Lance is "overpaying." We'd still have a max cap space for 2015, a building piece, and in 2016, we have crazy cap space regardless.

We have a max space if we get rid of some of the players we have now, players that we might want to keep for the future. So what is the difference? We are without them or we are without Lance? Net sum of 0 unless one wants to overrate Lance. With him it isn't the $9 mil, it is the 2-3 years that are a problem.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
So basically

Isiah Thomas
Lance Stephenson
Eric Bledsoe
Deng (maybe)
Greg Monroe

Any two of those players but instead what we did was

Give ridiculous contracts to Nick Young and Jordan Hill.
Take back a huge contract in Jeremy Lin
Sign career bench warmer Ronnie Price, and now he's getting major minutes even though he's been getting lit up, and is useless on offense.

Greg Monroe was restricted I believe so that was pipe.

Bledsoe can legitimately be argued was overpaid and I'm inclined to lean that way.

The other 3...not sure if they even gave them a look. Regardless of the holes in their games/size/age, given their production relative to pay, a person would be nuts to think they couldn't be moveable for further assets if they didn't work out here.
not true. not if they asked for too many years.

Jhill has a shot contract since the lakers have a teams option.
Jlin is on his last year.

boozer was dirty cheap.

Fans attack a stategy that they don't understand. The Laker's strategy is to have a max slot available for the upcoming offseasons in case there is an impact player that they can go after. If you don't have the money, you can't go after them. This past offseason they signed players so that they will have that slot available next offseason. As the cap grows and contracts expire, they will be able to bring in some second options for decent prices and still keep that slot available. They couldn't do that this past offseason, Thomas or Stephenson or any other FA that you want to overinflate would never sign a contract that could end after this season. It takes time and it takes patience, don't be spoiled fans and lose sight of the prize. Mediocre, which many in this thread seem to support, isn't the end game.

nobody is attacking the strategy.

please do tell me which MAX guy is coming to this team with kobe on last yr contract and nothing else.

even Randle u dont know how he will come back
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Did you see how he impacted the game on both ends of the floor last night? Combined with the fact his game is only growing & more importantly the cap will see a big jump when it's time to go for another "home run" in 2016
As long as we would still have a max slot open in 2016, overpaying (in some opinions) wouldn't be so bad for all star talent when we lack talent

Stephenson at 9-10M can't even be considered anything close to overpaying. Especially at only 2 guaranteed years

Yeah I saw, he is nowhere near a max player. And the 2 guaranteed years are the problem with Lance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

beggers dont have a chance at being picky and we have to overpay RFA talent to come play for us.

next yr the cap i heard is going to be 72mil and then grow in 2016. This contract will look like peanuts then.

Aslo if I am superstar in the making why would the team put the guy on market?

we have to take calculated risks after evaluation.

you want prime lebron/durant who are not coming to this team. I remember last time this year you were 1 of those who said you will only pay Melo aroun 13/15mil per yr and later changed the tune in the summer

I think that point is that we don't. Because that comes back to bite you in the end. You and others constantly complaining about how we overpaid for Nash is a perfect example. Want your cake and to eat it too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

nobody is attacking the strategy.

please do tell me which MAX guy is coming to this team with kobe on last yr contract and nothing else.

even Randle u dont know how he will come back

Maybe none. But if we don't have that max space, I can guarantee you that none will. The next offseason Kobe is off the books and we can have that max slot and the ability to sign some second/third option players. PATIENCE!!!!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17
Jump to: