You swing for a homerun, you hit some, you miss some. Mitch's strategy.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think GoldenThroat is saying is that the team needs to accumulate the assets like they did in the 1990s. We aren't accumulating tradeable assets like we did then.

Randle is not being moved while hurt. Lin, we'll probably have to give up a draft pick to trade him (since he's an expiring). Hill has veto powers, and Davis, I want to keep that dude.

So cap space is great, but not tradeable in today's CBA. You actually need to trade picks now days to trade the cap space by itself.

They began accumulating assets this offseason. People are just pissed that they couldn't accumulate all the necessary assets in one offseason. Typical fan impatience.

The only significant that they've accumulated over the last two seasons (the window closed when Howard left) is Randle, which is happened by chance (injuries) rather than design. Saying that they're in year one of the rebuild is part of the problem. They should be in year 2.

I think if we miss out on Durant, the team will have to seriously consider a Spurs or even Dallas like team construction.

And I disagree with the notion that a Spurs team in LA wouldn't be embraced and loved. If you took the Spurs and put them in Lakers uniforms, I think we would love it too. We're accustomed to Kobe/Shaq but their model should be studied IMO.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think GoldenThroat is saying is that the team needs to accumulate the assets like they did in the 1990s. We aren't accumulating tradeable assets like we did then.

Randle is not being moved while hurt. Lin, we'll probably have to give up a draft pick to trade him (since he's an expiring). Hill has veto powers, and Davis, I want to keep that dude.

So cap space is great, but not tradeable in today's CBA. You actually need to trade picks now days to trade the cap space by itself.

They began accumulating assets this offseason. People are just pissed that they couldn't accumulate all the necessary assets in one offseason. Typical fan impatience.

BS how do you know they will begin collecting assets in this offseason? did Jim Buss tell u that specifically?

why wouldnt jim panic again after losing Marc/Love and pick up tab for Hill and give wes/X another contract?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They are in year 1, this is the first time since 1996 that they have had salary flexibility. They have Kelly, Randle and Clarkson to begin asset acquisitions. Not a bad start.

If you're including Kelly, doesn't that mean this is year 2 since this is Kelly's 2nd year?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The only significant that they've accumulated over the last two seasons (the window closed when Howard left) is Randle, which is happened by chance (injuries) rather than design. Saying that they're in year one of the rebuild is part of the problem. They should be in year 2.

I think if we miss out on Durant, the team will have to seriously consider a Spurs or even Dallas like team construction.

And I disagree with the notion that a Spurs team in LA wouldn't be embraced and loved. If you took the Spurs and put them in Lakers uniforms, I think we would love it too. We're accustomed to Kobe/Shaq but their model should be studied IMO.

if they want any shot at Durant they should start that approach next offseason to even get a meeting with Durant.

Keep the Max slot open when kobe expires. so u pick kobe out and put durant in.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They are in year 1, this is the first time since 1996 that they have had salary flexibility. They have Kelly, Randle and Clarkson to begin asset acquisitions. Not a bad start.

Having salary flexibility doesn't mean that it's year 1. The rebuilding process starts as soon as the championship window is closed. West's rebuilding process began unexpectedly, literally overnight, and on the eve of the season beginning with no offseason to prepare. He didn't have salary cap flexibility either. Had them back in the playoffs, with a young, exciting team after 3 offseasons. Mitch & Jim have already had 2, and we're nowhere close. Kelly & Clarkson haven't even proven themselves to be legitimate rotational players, much less legitimate starters on a playoff team like Van Exel, Jones, & Ceballos were.

And none of the guys that West acquired during those years were acquired in a manner that the current CBA would restrict. It's the approach that's different.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

BS how do you know they will begin collecting assets in this offseason? did Jim Buss tell u that specifically?

why wouldnt jim panic again after losing Marc/Love and pick up tab for Hill and give wes/X another contract?

I watched the NBA draft, it was on TV.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If you're including Kelly, doesn't that mean this is year 2 since this is Kelly's 2nd year?

Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

VLF is a funny guy. he will keep on arguing without providing any details.

Like the time when we finished 7th worst record and he kept saying we are getting top 3 pick

or Last yr when he would give Melo only 13-15mil only to turn around in the summer and basically saying we need to get melo here at any cost
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Having salary flexibility doesn't mean that it's year 1. The rebuilding process starts as soon as the championship window is closed. West's rebuilding process began unexpectedly, literally overnight, and on the eve of the season beginning with no offseason to prepare. He didn't have salary cap flexibility either. Had them back in the playoffs, with a young, exciting team after 3 offseasons. Mitch & Jim have already had 2, and we're nowhere close. Kelly & Clarkson haven't even proven themselves to be legitimate rotational players, much less legitimate starters on a playoff team like Van Exel, Jones, & Ceballos were.

And none of the guys that West acquired during those years were acquired in a manner that the current CBA would restrict. It's the approach that's different.

Neither did Van Exel, Jones or Ceballos in their first years. Using hindsight vs current reality isn't something I want to participate in, so until we get a chance to see how the young guys can play, I won't compare them to guys who have been retired for years. Exercising patience isn't hard for me. I did it in the 90's and will now.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The approach that we should have taken was to liquidate every asset that we could after Howard left, accumulate young pieces over time, and fielded the best young team on rookie contracts that we possibly could. In this way, West was actually dealing with a more difficult CBA, as rookie salaries weren't restricted until '95, IIRC.

The thing that grinds me is that the FO is actually really good at drafting relative to where they select. Why not put yourself in the position to do what you're really good at more frequently? If 3 years from now, we have Julius Randle and two other really good young players, + $50M in cap space, we're the #1 FA destination in the NBA and we're title contenders the next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The approach that we should have taken was to liquidate every asset that we could after Howard left, accumulate young pieces over time, and fielded the best young team on rookie contracts that we possibly could. In this way, West was actually dealing with a more difficult CBA, as rookie salaries weren't restricted until '95, IIRC.

The thing that grinds me is that the FO is actually really good at drafting relative to where they select. Why not put yourself in the position to do what you're really good at more frequently? If 3 years from now, we have Julius Randle and two other really good young players, + $50M in cap space, we're the #1 FA destination in the NBA and we're title contenders the next year.

That is why I am targeting 2016. Randle, Kelly and Clarkson should have shown us who they are by then. And as much as it pains me to say it, I honestly believe today that we will keep our #1 this season. Add that to the Houston pick along with the Clipper 2nd rounder (I think the chances we get it are greater than that we don't), and by 2016 we might have 2 young guys who look like sure starters and a couple more who can be good role players off the bench. With the increase in the cap and Kobe's salary gone, we can sign a Stephenson type of player and still have that max slot available.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither did Van Exel, Jones or Ceballos in their first years. Using hindsight vs current reality isn't something I want to participate in, so until we get a chance to see how the young guys can play, I won't compare them to guys who have been retired for years. Exercising patience isn't hard for me. I did it in the 90's and will now.

Nick Van Exel was a 14 & 6 guy as a rookie, and WAS a starter on the team that made the playoffs in the following year.

Eddie Jones WAS a starter on a playoff team in his rookie year.

Cedric Ceballos was not only a starter on a playoff team in his first year in LA, he was the leading scorer, putting up 22ppg.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

Clarkson has played 2 games, are you really going to compare him to them off of that? Kelly averaged 8 and 4 his rookie season.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You nailed the point, in order for FA's to even consider the Lakers we need an actual team to attract them. Hope to get a top 5 pick along the pick from houston and and let the FO draft a decent players to go along with randle. The more assets you have, the more options you have when looking to either sign a player or trade for one.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That is why I am targeting 2016. Randle, Kelly and Clarkson should have shown us who they are by then. And as much as it pains me to say it, I honestly believe today that we will keep our #1 this season. Add that to the Houston pick along with the Clipper 2nd rounder (I think the chances we get it are greater than that we don't), and by 2016 we might have 2 young guys who look like sure starters and a couple more who can be good role players off the bench. With the increase in the cap and Kobe's salary gone, we can sign a Stephenson type of player and still have that max slot available.

I would love for this to happen. I also know that if it does, it will be the result of incredible fortune rather than design. We landed Julius Randle because of a massive slew of injuries, including losing Kobe for 76 games. With average health, we have someone like Tyler Ennis or James Young right now rather than Julius Randle. The design this year was never to be Bottom 5 bad. We tried to sign Carmelo Anthony. We reportedly tried to sign Chris Bosh. We tried to sign Pau Gasol.

If we walk out of these two years with two studs on rookie contracts, I'll know that Dr. Buss is watching over us, because that's not what we were going for at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

You know how much I love Durant and want him here. That would be my biggest hope, but I fear he's not coming here (which is a shame b/c I think OKC is showing him why he needs to leave).

If the FO persists on only getting max level players (who aren't transcendent like Kobe, so the relative per dollar/production levels aren't anywhere we'd need them to be) and we strike out, there's not enough infrastructure to lure Durant. He'll see a Washington team with a young Wall/Beal combo and that's all she wrote.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Clarkson has played 2 games, are you really going to compare him to them off of that? Kelly averaged 8 and 4 his rookie season.

That's my point...that Clarkson has played 2 games. What exactly has he exhibited to show that he's a piece of any significance going forward? Randle, despite the tragic injury, is quite obviously a top notch talent, and that was obvious right away with Eddie Jones & Nick Van Exel as well.

Clarkson? Kelly? Do you project that those guys would be able to start on a playoff team in their first two years? They're in a completely different class of prospect than guys like Jones, Van Exel, or Randle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would love for this to happen. I also know that if it does, it will be the result of incredible fortune rather than design. We landed Julius Randle because of a massive slew of injuries, including losing Kobe for 76 games. With average health, we have someone like Tyler Ennis or James Young right now rather than Julius Randle. The design this year was never to be Bottom 5 bad. We tried to sign Carmelo Anthony. We reportedly tried to sign Chris Bosh. We tried to sign Pau Gasol.

If we walk out of these two years with two studs on rookie contracts, I'll know that Dr. Buss is watching over us, because that's not what we were going for at all.

And unless the FO has changed its philosophy, we may have "lucked" ourselves into a top 5 pick. But that will take a concerted and discipline stealth tank.

If by the end of next summer we sign say RJax/Afflalo, re-up Davis, and sign another big with around $4-5m, have Randle and Kobe return, that's a much better way to pitch the team going forward in 2016 when we may have more than $35m in cap space (Kobe off the books, increased salary cap due to TV revenues).

Or, we present Team Cap Space to Durant in 2016.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You know how much I love Durant and want him here. That would be my biggest hope, but I fear he's not coming here (which is a shame b/c I think OKC is showing him why he needs to leave).

If the FO persists on only getting max level players (who aren't transcendent like Kobe, so the relative per dollar/production levels aren't anywhere we'd need them to be) and we strike out, there's not enough infrastructure to lure Durant. He'll see a Washington team with a young Wall/Beal combo and that's all she wrote.

Yeah other than Durant and Anthony Davis(years from now), I don't see just yet that generational superstar player that we should give the max and build around. I'd rather build a team with the structure of the spurs in mind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

zoogz wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah other than Durant and Anthony Davis(years from now), I don't see just yet that generational superstar player that we should give the max and build around. I'd rather build a team with the structure of the spurs in mind.

Hopefully we get a top 5 pick (rookie contract)
Randle (still on rookie contract)

You have the ability to start stacking the team with overall talent. With wise cap maneuvering you still have a chance to strike big in free agency BUT also you have assets to trade (Mitch is the BOSS with this) if a stud is available.

Right now, we don't have either of these things.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I am not sure it wasn't a distant thought this season. I think the FO knew their chances at Melo and Lebron were extremely slim, but still went after them to keep the fans and Kobe happy. I think this roster is capable of finishing above the top 5, but with the offensive and defensive systems they run, I think that drops them down a few spots. Right now I would have every player on the team not named Randle and Clarkson on the market. Just a hunch, but I think we end up with 4 picks in the next draft.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That's my point...that Clarkson has played 2 games. What exactly has he exhibited to show that he's a piece of any significance going forward? Randle, despite the tragic injury, is quite obviously a top notch talent, and that was obvious right away with Eddie Jones & Nick Van Exel as well.

Clarkson? Kelly? Do you project that those guys would be able to start on a playoff team in their first two years? They're in a completely different class of prospect than guys like Jones, Van Exel, or Randle.

That is why they weren't first round draft picks.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zoogz wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hopefully we get a top 5 pick (rookie contract)
Randle (still on rookie contract)

You have the ability to start stacking the team with overall talent. With wise cap maneuvering you still have a chance to strike big in free agency BUT also you have assets to trade (Mitch is the BOSS with this) if a stud is available.

Right now, we don't have either of these things.

Thats the key, in this CBA, you need to use rookie contracts for cap flexibility to be able to make big moves.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
And unless the FO has changed its philosophy, we may have "lucked" ourselves into a top 5 pick. But that will take a concerted and discipline stealth tank.

If by the end of next summer we sign say RJax/Afflalo, re-up Davis, and sign another big with around $4-5m, have Randle and Kobe return, that's a much better way to pitch the team going forward in 2016 when we may have more than $35m in cap space (Kobe off the books, increased salary cap due to TV revenues).

Or, we present Team Cap Space to Durant in 2016.

I think that in general, the mid-level FA market is a very dangerous one to play, as it's naturally a seller's market. 29 teams might think you're a $6M player, but if one thinks you're an $8M player...you're gonna make $8M. This offseason was an exception to that rule, however, with guys like Stephenson & Thomas going for very reasonable deals. I also think that in our position, guys in their late 20's and beyond (like Afflalo) are bad plays, as they will be exiting their primes as we're conceivably entering contention. That's my biggest issue with the Nick Young deal, which is fair money-wise, it just doesn't correspond to our timeline. It also calls into question the idea that the Lakers didn't want to sign anyone beyond 2 years, but that's another argument altogether.

So while I'd be cautious about pursuing guys in that range, you certainly have to listen. I hope last years market amongst this level of player wasn't a fluke, although I think the announcement of the new TV deal will hurt. It sure would have been nice to be paying Lance Stephenson 12% of the salary cap in 2016-17, when the cap likely jumps quite a bit. Ugh.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That is why they weren't first round draft picks.

Right, but they're not significant building blocks either. Our only committed, young asset of any significance right now is Julius Randle. And of course I'm not going to blame them for his great misfortune, but even that's been diminished greatly in the last week. The cupboard is still almost completely bare.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: