Kobe to Lin : You got to run the offense. - Updated - Kobe: "This is the blueprint for him"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Kobe to Lin : You got to run the offense. - Updated - Kobe: "This is the blueprint for him"

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-to-jeremy-lin-you-got-to-run-the-offense/2014/10/29/

Serena Winters from Lakers Nation reporting the command and greenlight from Mount Kobe.

Discuss~

When will we see Jeremy Lin step up to the plate and be on the floor for more than 20 minutes.

Whose going to step up to follow Jeremy's lead?

Its obvious we need more people to score, Jeremy Lin's the only player on the roster that has broken 3pt shooting records in arenas in the last 12 mos.

I had family visit from out of country to watch the 1st game at staples and we saw game 2 at Buffalo Wild Wings, its been painful to watch but I'm still waiting for things to click for the team. Kobe looks good - love his fire and grit. Need more guys to step up though.

SBNation article continuing with aforementioned news.. see below.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/10/30/7132083/kobe-bryant-jeremy-lin-run-the-offense-comments-lakers-2014

--------

UPDATE 10/30/14 10pm PST

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2014/10/30/kobe-bryant-byron-scott-frustration-clippers-battle-for-los-angeles/18208143/

KOBE BRYANT:

Quote:
"Coming back, the beauty was in the process. So the fun part for me, the most fun part, is over. I know where I'm at now. Now it's just everybody's seeing (that he's himself). But the fun part for me is over in terms of the comeback. Now the challenges become turning Jeremy into a championship point guard, a floor general, right? And the rest of the guys having a championship spirit. That's the challenge."

Kobe's next challenge is epic ~ badass! He wants to turn Lin into a championship point guard & floor general ~ SICK!

----

Kobe Bryant - Post Game Clippers 10/31
*Blueprint conversation*

"I think we figured a lot of things out, a lot of things"

Last edited by kinein on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

What offense?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Comment removed.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824

Last edited by PrairieAve on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

How's Lin supposed to run the offense when Kobe is always hogging the ball?

Steve Nash was a much, much better player than Lin, and Kobe effectively took the ball out of Nash's hands and reduced Nash to the role of a spot up shooter.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

Steve Nash was a much, much better player than Lin, and Kobe effectively took the ball out of Nash's hands and reduced Nash to the role of a spot up shooter.

next time u should get ur facts straight and give facts on how many games did they really play together
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

next time u should get ur facts straight and give facts on how many games did they really play together

This....
I wonder if Frank the Tank above even watched the Lakers the past 2 seasons....

Last edited by lakersken80 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

Nash broke his leg in his first game and was never able to run the offense effectively.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

Nash broke his leg in his first game and was never able to run the offense effectively.

This is a lie.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Our offense has been so bad that I'm waiting for Ryan Kelly to come and provide some spacing. The last 2 games, Lin has seemed very tentative. I'm sure he was playing anxious especially against Houston.

It's difficult to run the chin action, when our bigs are horrible at handling the ball at the elbow out. I've been really disappointed in Jordan Hill and Boozer. Ed Davis is also bad at handling the ball. This means Lin has to be more aggressive as our point guard.

The unfortunate thing is that our spacing is HORRIBLE. No one respects Price, Wesley, Boozer on the perimeter. That means when Kobe gets the ball, the defense is going to pack it in. When Lin tries to drive, the defense is going to pack it in. Our roster is so bad that I'm waiting for Ryan Kelly to come and provide some spacing at the 4 spot. Our roster is so bad that I'm thinking about start giving Ellington more minutes because he can hit outside shots, even though he sucks at everything else.

BUT, the best short term answer seems to be:
Start Price and Davis and bring Lin and Hill off the bench.

Price
Kobe
Wes
Boozer
Davis

This gives us 2 decent perimeter defenders to help hide Kobe and Boozer's deficiencies. Along with having Davis to help provide some inside presence.

Then we can sub in Lin, Clarkson and Hill for Kobe, Price and Boozer.

Lin
Clarkson
Wes
Davis
Hill

With this lineup, we let Lin run the show with the 2nd unit. Pick n' roll with Davis all day. If Wes isn't hitting his 3s, then bring in Ellington for Wes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Kobe told Lin tonight that he wants Lin to be the guy playmaking, the guy calling the plays, the guy orchestrating the offense and to stop deferring to him so much as a first option.

Said it's gonna take some getting used to for Lin because he's used to looking over his shoulder or playing with guys that don't want him to do that(Harden, Carmelo etc) but Kobe literally told him tonight that he wants him running the offense and he's TELLING him to orchestrate the offense and run the plays and get guys in their right spots. Be an aggressive point guard.

Lin has been trying to play with Kobe like he did with Harden but Kobe is telling him to stop it. Kobe's done being the 'do everything' and knows he isn't gonna last if the team is just gonna stand around and watch him, which is why he yelled at Lin during the game for doing that and never taking advantage of the isolation plays ran for him(Lin) and still looking to pass when it was unneeded. His challenge to Lin aside from defensively is to orchestrate the offense and not just remove himself from plays just because he's not top dog.

I don't think Lin's used to that, at all.

Other problem is that the starting unit isn't full of the people Lin is used to carrying with his facilitating as those kind of guys he does it best with are high pick and rollers, fast breakers, and people that needed Lin to orchestrate the offense to them(The Knicks, The Rockets without Harden playing etc). That's why he fits with the bench who is full of players like that(Clarkson, X, Ellington, Kelly, Randle, Davis) and struggles with the starters whose two offensive scorers(aside from himself) score from the post, not off pick and rolls. If Hill was a better pick and roller it could be different, but he's not, if Davis was starting center we'd likely see a difference.

But he's not, and likely won't be anytime soon if Hill remains healthy, and I don't want anymore injuries so... there's really not much Lin can do outside of trying to isolate and try to get his own shot on a consistent basis.. problem is he's never been the kind of player that does that without getting teammates involved out of the pick and roll which opens up everything else. So it's gonna be a challenge as long as he's starting just with the makeup of the team.

Glad Kobe basically let him know he has the green light, but the only complimentary piece to Lin aside from Kobe in the starting lineup is Wes...and yeah.

Last edited by MJST on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Kobe: "Run the offense, man."

Lin: "I'm trying, we have no shooters."

Kobe: "No, just give me the ball."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

Lakers are gonna look like crap until they get more weapons back from injury. Ryan Kelly, Nick Young, etc...
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

ringfinger wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

This is a lie.

You obviously have a difficult time discerning a differing opinion from an untruth.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kobe told Lin tonight that he wants Lin to be the guy playmaking, the guy calling the plays, the guy orchestrating the offense and to stop deferring to him so much as a first option.

Said it's gonna take some getting used to for Lin because he's used to looking over his shoulder or playing with guys that don't want him to do that(Harden, Carmelo etc) but Kobe literally told him tonight that he wants him running the offense and he's TELLING him to orchestrate the offense and run the plays and get guys in their right spots. Be an aggressive point guard.

Lin has been trying to play with Kobe like he did with Harden but Kobe is telling him to stop it. Kobe's done being the 'do everything' and knows he isn't gonna last if the team is just gonna stand around and watch him, which is why he yelled at Lin during the game for doing that and never taking advantage of the isolation plays ran for him(Lin) and still looking to pass when it was unneeded. His challenge to Lin aside from defensively is to orchestrate the offense and not just remove himself from plays just because he's not top dog.

I don't think Lin's used to that, at all.

Other problem is that the starting unit isn't full of the people Lin is used to carrying with his facilitating as those kind of guys he does it best with are high pick and rollers, fast breakers, and people that needed Lin to orchestrate the offense to them(The Knicks, The Rockets without Harden playing etc). That's why he fits with the bench who is full of players like that(Clarkson, X, Ellington, Kelly, Randle, Davis) and struggles with the starters whose two offensive scorers(aside from himself) score from the post, not off pick and rolls. If Hill was a better pick and roller it could be different, but he's not, if Davis was starting center we'd likely see a difference.

But he's not, and likely won't be anytime soon if Hill remains healthy, and I don't want anymore injuries so... there's really not much Lin can do outside of trying to isolate and try to get his own shot on a consistent basis.. problem is he's never been the kind of player that does that without getting teammates involved out of the pick and roll which opens up everything else. So it's gonna be a challenge as long as he's starting just with the makeup of the team.

Glad Kobe basically let him know he has the green light, but the only complimentary piece to Lin aside from Kobe in the starting lineup is Wes...and yeah.

yeah I am happy to hear that too. Hopefully Lin turn around quickly and be really aggressive the next game. Looking forward to that
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Yes it's all Lin's fault. I expect we won't see Kobe dribbling the basketball up the floor anymore and calling plays then when they're on the floor together then.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe told Jeremy it's "an urban legend" that he wants to control the ball. Kobe said he's implored Jeremy to run the offense
(Medina)

Context matters.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

What offense? It seems to me we really don't have one.
LAL32
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
Kobe told Jeremy it's "an urban legend" that he wants to control the ball. Kobe said he's implored Jeremy to run the offense
(Medina)

Context matters.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/823251F8771139451577133105152_34dc861bde6.0.1.6960637001054701871.mp4?versionId=Q635YJje7KPmnImZs85Cw_60SfREI00_

I love what the man has done for the franchise but I am a Lakers fan first and foremost. The team is devoid of talent, but that is no reason to go 1 on 3. He had 25 shots in 28 minutes for anyone that counters by saying that is just one play. For comparison, the rest of the starting line-up had 25 shots combined.

Ball movement is the new breed of basketball and Kobe is insistent on getting his isolation shots up, yet he is somehow able to get away with subtly placing the blame on Lin after the game. I'm sorry to say it but Kobe has the media and the majority of us Lakers fans by the balls. He can do or say anything, and noone will dare question him. He needs to be held accountable or else he is going have free reign to jack up as many shots as he well chooses to, people. I understand being loyal to the man but not to the detriment of our team.
LAL32
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:

I mean we used to be the face of the NBA and look at us now. Is showing an undying loyalty to Kobe really worth it?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject:

I only agree partially with Kobe. As I've said all throughout the preseason, Lin should assert himself and call his own number, but he should completely dump the whatever offense Byron has drawn up.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject:

Seriously, what offense? The one where we give the ball to our two terrorizing big men, and let them do damage and wreck havoc on the NBA? Oh wait, we have Boozer and Hill. Or, the one where we give the ball to Kobe to go one on one? I have no clue what the Lakers can do with this line-up. We wanted to play the spacing game with 3 point shooters when we had Pau and Dwight. Now we want to pound the ball with Boozer and Hill.

We have zero three point shooting and zero post play, so it's 100% no man's land basketball. And the guy that's the best at no man's land basketball is Kobe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: