Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Knicks gave up their 2014 and 2016 picks, so they can't trade their 2015. And Kobe would give up his goal of setting the record for the longest tenured player on one team in the league to lose to Lebron or Pau in the playoffs? I can't see him agreeing to that.

How much can the "record for longest tenured player" really mean to him? He wants to compete. I think he'd rather have a shot at a 6th ring than play on a team that will go something like 43-121 over the next two seasons in front of a morbidly depressed, half-filled Staples Centers. I can't imagine there will be a lot of nationally televised Laker games next year. Can you think of a more depressing farewell season? Is all that worth something as woop-de-do as "longest tenured player on one team?" I couldn't possible know. But I do have some idea as to how maniacally competitively Kobe is, and playing in New York (where he's loved) for Fisher and Phil (whom he both loves) and alongside Melo (his best superstar friend)

As for the pick stuff, well that kinda trashes the deal for me. I forgot they owed picks last year and 2016. HOWEVER, the reasoning from Kobe's side stands. It would require the Knicks to acquire a first rounder somehow, which i don't see happening.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

troy wrote:
His best friend (Gasol) is gone.

His confidant (Fisher) is coaching in New York.

His fellow veteran (Nash) is brooding over his ex-wife while he collects $$ for doing nothing.

His fellow tough guy (Artest) is fading into the sunset.

His coach (Scott) can't do anything but frown like he's constipated.

Kobe is all alone in Lakerland. Nobody left from the glory days. Nobody left to talk to, or confide in. He shares the locker-room with a bunch of confused looking D-Leaguers and a few castaways from other teams.

All of this is happening while the San Antonio Spurs' core players, who were around back in the Shag/Kobe era, are still playing strong.

Kobe is all alone.

Other players in his era have bounced around the league, trying to find that chemistry that may land them that one last title...but Kobe has remained. For now.

How long will he put up with it before he has a meltdown? Why do I think he won't retire a Laker afterall...

Lol, that is crazy talk. The Lakers signed him to a big contract so he will retire a Laker. The one thing Lakers fans can look forward to is seeing Kobe retire as a Laker. Dude has been a warrior for this franchise. He deserves to retire a Laker.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Knicks gave up their 2014 and 2016 picks, so they can't trade their 2015. And Kobe would give up his goal of setting the record for the longest tenured player on one team in the league to lose to Lebron or Pau in the playoffs? I can't see him agreeing to that.

How much can the "record for longest tenured player" really mean to him? He wants to compete. I think he'd rather have a shot at a 6th ring than play on a team that will go something like 43-121 over the next two seasons in front of a morbidly depressed, half-filled Staples Centers. I can't imagine there will be a lot of nationally televised Laker games next year. Can you think of a more depressing farewell season? Is all that worth something as woop-de-do as "longest tenured player on one team?" I couldn't possible know. But I do have some idea as to how maniacally competitively Kobe is, and playing in New York (where he's loved) for Fisher and Phil (whom he both loves) and alongside Melo (his best superstar friend)

As for the pick stuff, well that kinda trashes the deal for me. I forgot they owed picks last year and 2016. HOWEVER, the reasoning from Kobe's side stands. It would require the Knicks to acquire a first rounder somehow, which i don't see happening.

Enough to mention it often. Playing in NY won't get Kobe any titles.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Self-correction to my earlier post...I went to get food and while I was driving thought of a team that:
1. is close to a contender now, and might just be 1 Kobe type player away
2. might actually be willing to trade for Kobe

Dallas Mavericks....

Reasoning is:
A. If you put Kobe on the Mavs, they'd probably be considered in the same rank as Spurs/Clips - and could compete with those teams for the West
B. Cuban might just want to swing for the fences in Dirk's twilight years (and Kobe's too) and try to bring in 1 more championship.
C. They've got Haywood, Ellis, Jefferson, Charlie V, and Wright expiring after this season, and several more expiring next season...so, potentially it's doable from a money standpoint.

After Cuban's comments last year, I don't think you could expect any picks -- but, if Kobe made a big enough pain in the ass of himself repeatedly demanding a trade, this might fit everyone's needs
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

Jeggs wrote:
troy wrote:
His best friend (Gasol) is gone.

His confidant (Fisher) is coaching in New York.

His fellow veteran (Nash) is brooding over his ex-wife while he collects $$ for doing nothing.

His fellow tough guy (Artest) is fading into the sunset.

His coach (Scott) can't do anything but frown like he's constipated.

Kobe is all alone in Lakerland. Nobody left from the glory days. Nobody left to talk to, or confide in. He shares the locker-room with a bunch of confused looking D-Leaguers and a few castaways from other teams.

All of this is happening while the San Antonio Spurs' core players, who were around back in the Shag/Kobe era, are still playing strong.

Kobe is all alone.

Other players in his era have bounced around the league, trying to find that chemistry that may land them that one last title...but Kobe has remained. For now.

How long will he put up with it before he has a meltdown? Why do I think he won't retire a Laker afterall...

Lol, that is crazy talk. The Lakers signed him to a big contract so he will retire a Laker. The one thing Lakers fans can look forward to is seeing Kobe retire as a Laker. Dude has been a warrior for this franchise. He deserves to retire a Laker.

Unless he gets pissed off playing with a Z-league level team and repeatedly demands a trade to a contender...then LAL management may consider it
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No offense, but that's your opinion. Granted, it's mine as well, but earlier this year, Kobe thought he and Melo would be enough to compete for a title...in the West. Now put them in the East where they will most certainly make playoffs (considering half the teams are actively trying to avoid making it). A freak injury here and there, and who knows? If Lebron's 2007 Cavs could make the Finals, why not the 2014 Knicks?

No team is a guaranteed a title. But the most any player or fanbase can ask for is a chance to play for one. In New York, he might have that. In LA, no freaking chance.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Not that it would matter to him or anyone else, but I'd lose respect for Kobe if he went on some tirade.

He's a smart man. When he signed the extension, he knew the figures and the potential restrictions moving forward.

He's a smart man. His ego sometimes gets the best of him, but I really hope it he saves all his whining for Vanessa.

At this point of his career, pre retirement,he needs to becom mentor.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No offense, but that's your opinion. Granted, it's mine as well, but earlier this year, Kobe thought he and Melo would be enough to compete for a title...in the West. Now put them in the East where they will most certainly make playoffs (considering half the teams are actively trying to avoid making it). A freak injury here and there, and who knows? If Lebron's 2007 Cavs could make the Finals, why not the 2014 Knicks?

No team is a guaranteed a title. But the most any player or fanbase can ask for is a chance to play for one. In New York, he might have that. In LA, no freaking chance.

I'm not even sure Phil would want to trade for Kobe.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
I'm more worried about us season ticket holders tolerating another horrible season.

Thank. You.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Kobe knew signing that ridiculous contract would handicap the Lakers. He signed up for this so he better not say anything. He got his $, the freedom to shoot as much as he wants and a coach that he wanted. Live with the results Kobe.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

west wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I don't see him demanding a trade. But if this kind of losing continue, I can see him quietly informing the FO that he's open to it. The Knicks would totally trade for him.

This. I would be on the lookout for Ireland floating topics such as "Should the Lakers get picks for Kobe" or "Would you become a Clippers fan if Kobe left". These trial balloons might be a way of gauging public reaction to a trade.

I could see Kobe willing to go to NY, CHI or Philly. I don't blame him, actually. I remember the Kings trading Gretzky at the end, so he had a chance for one more dance. Sadly all the Laker dancing appears over for a while... A trade of Kobe to a contender, might actually be merciful and respectful to the great competitor.

Would be surprised if they don't try to get him some help before it comes to that.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not even sure Phil would want to trade for Kobe.

I agree. I'm sure he would much rather have the cap space to go after free agents next summer like Gasol and Rondo than pay Kobe 25M and have no cap space.

Kobe hates losing but unfortunately it may be the best option in the big picture.

Getting a top 5 draft pick, a healty Randle next season, and having 25-30M in cap space to sign free agents is the fastest way to rebuild our team.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
I'm more worried about us season ticket holders tolerating another horrible season.

Exactly.

The Lakers are playing a game of chicken with their season ticket holders.

If they go 20-62 (and that very well could happen) I think they are going to see mass season ticket cancellations and I don't think Time Warner will be sending a Christmas Card.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

It's probably true that Phil wouldn't do it. I'm not sure any team would really trade for Kobe knowing how much they'd have to give up. For better or worse, he's stuck here.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

He signed that ridiculous contract. He has to deal with the consequences. Lakers aren't sniffing the playoffs the next 2 years.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Everytime Kobe speaks about his contract, he says the Lakers assured him they would put the pieces around him to contend.

I really doubt he thought the biggest splash the Lakers would make this off season would be Lin, Boozer and Ed Davis with the $25+ million in cap space they had available.

Some solid pieces like Lance, Thomas, Bledsoe could have been had, but the FO struckout by trying to hit a homerun and out smarting themselves once again.

What's going to happen is Kobe will get hurt trying to carry this pathetic group of players, and that will be that. A sad ending to an otherwise legendary career.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agree, it is only an opinion. The same one I had of the idea of pairing Kobe and Melo here.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
Everytime Kobe speaks about his contract, he says the Lakers assured him they would put the pieces around him to contend.

I really doubt he thought the biggest splash the Lakers would make this off season would be Lin, Boozer and Ed Davis with the $25+ million in cap space they had available.

Some solid pieces like Lance, Thomas, Bledsoe could have been had, but the FO struckout by trying to hit a homerun and out smarting themselves once again.

What's going to happen is Kobe will get hurt trying to carry this pathetic group of players, and that will be that. A sad ending to an otherwise legendary career.

That 25 million was all they had to sign like 10 players. I don't think many people honestly thought they could build a team from scratch with that.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:

Kobe can add, he knows that serious help cost serious money. Now to the OP's question, the Momba can find comfort in those huge pay checks beciasu he ain't going to win anything....
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2014/10/30/kobe-bryant-byron-scott-frustration-clippers-battle-for-los-angeles/18208143/

"Not even a little bit," he said. "I've seen it all man. I've seen it all before. I'm good. I've been trained very well.

"Coming back, the beauty was in the process. So the fun part for me, the most fun part, is over. I know where I'm at now. Now it's just everybody's seeing (that he's himself). But the fun part for me is over in terms of the comeback. Now the challenges become turning Jeremy into a championship point guard, a floor general, right? And the rest of the guys having a championship spirit. That's the challenge."
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
nashftw
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

yeah, he's seen it all, and his demeanor this year, save for that outburst vs Dwight, seems to indicate that he has reached a level of maturity shown by stars who have experienced the whole gamut of the NBA experience.

there's still that fierceness and competitive drive, wanting to win the game on his singular talent, but you take a look at dead balls and how he interacts with teammates and opponents, and you see a gentler? Kobe, one that looks like he wants to soak in and enjoy his remaining playing years. have not seen that before from him when it used to be all business all the time.

from that perspective i think he can tolerate lots of losing better than the old kobe.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Quite honestly, I am the biggest Kobe fan and I think the Lakers FO the last few years has been absolutely awful but....I also think that the NBA has evolved in the way that makes it impossible to win with a player like Kobe as your first option, especially at the age of 36 and if there is anyone as a coach who might have a shot to do it, it would be Phil.

Let me rephrase that to make it even more clear..

The paradigm of the NBA is such that MDA bball is much more in line with what constitutws winning bball nowadays than any offense with Kobe as your number one guy.

Modern NBA is too fast. Fast breaks and 3pt shooting. That's not Kobe.
He grew up and developed as a player during the time when it was still big men's game. He learned to win in a big men's league. Not only is there no room for big men like Shaq in today's NBA, there is no room for a player like Kobe as well..at least as a first option.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Quite honestly, I am the biggest Kobe fan and I think the Lakers FO the last few years has been absolutely awful but....I also think that the NBA has evolved in the way that makes it impossible to win with a player like Kobe as your first option, especially at the age of 36 and if there is anyone as a coach who might have a shot to do it, it would be Phil.

The paradigm of the NBA is such that MDA bball is much more in line with what constitutws winning bball nowadays than any offense with Kobe as your number one guy.

He grew up and developed as a player during the time when it was still big men's game. He learned to win in a big men's league. Not only is there no room for big men like Shaq in today's NBA, there is no room for a player like Kobe as well..at least as a first option.

Alright so what you're saying is prime Kobe couldn't play in this era of fast breaks and three point shooting if that's the case I guess MJ couldent either along with other great players 2000's and before. Sorry I don't think that at all if anything as big fan of NBA this is weakest I have ever seen NBA in decades not many superstars, great and dynasty teams anymore.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Alright so what you're saying is prime Kobe couldn't play in this era of fast breaks and three point shooting if that's the case I guess MJ couldent either along with other great players 2000's and before. Sorry I don't think that at all if anything as big fan of NBA this is weakest I have ever seen NBA in decades not many superstars, great and dynasty teams anymore.

Prime Kobe is just so talented, of course he could. It's interesting however to think how successful the prototypical centers like Shaq would be in today's game.
It's not about the talent level of the NBA. It is just different. We can call it the advanced metrics era.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Prime Kobe is just so talented, of course he could. It's interesting however to think how successful the prototypical centers like Shaq would be in today's game.
It's not about the talent level of the NBA. It is just different. We can call it the advanced metrics era.

Shaq would still do well because no advanced metrics can overcome the fact most centers today suck.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: