Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
It's a new challenge. That's all.
This isnt a challenge, there is no good outcome in this. NO matter how hard they play, they dont have the talent to compete.

There is no help coming, there is no one to trade other then Kobe, and if they do that, its for a young guy and draft pics. WHen the season started i was optimistic. I was thinking that just maybe Randle will start to excel into a good player the 2nd half of the season, but now thats off the table, there is no potential that might work out this year. Its Curtains. Ill be tuning in to watch the game to see how bad they lose. It sucks, but if i get super serious im going to be like kobe in a bad mood. lol
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Quite honestly, I am the biggest Kobe fan and I think the Lakers FO the last few years has been absolutely awful but....I also think that the NBA has evolved in the way that makes it impossible to win with a player like Kobe as your first option, especially at the age of 36 and if there is anyone as a coach who might have a shot to do it, it would be Phil.

Let me rephrase that to make it even more clear..

The paradigm of the NBA is such that MDA bball is much more in line with what constitutws winning bball nowadays than any offense with Kobe as your number one guy.

Modern NBA is too fast. Fast breaks and 3pt shooting. That's not Kobe.
He grew up and developed as a player during the time when it was still big men's game. He learned to win in a big men's league. Not only is there no room for big men like Shaq in today's NBA, there is no room for a player like Kobe as well..at least as a first option.

Alright so what you're saying is prime Kobe couldn't play in this era of fast breaks and three point shooting if that's the case I guess MJ couldent either along with other great players 2000's and before. Sorry I don't think that at all if anything as big fan of NBA this is weakest I have ever seen NBA in decades not many superstars, great and dynasty teams anymore.

Prime Kobe is just so talented, of course he could. It's interesting however to think how successful the prototypical centers like Shaq would be in today's game.
It's not about the talent level of the NBA. It is just different. We can call it the advanced metrics era.

I gotcha. I do think NBA game continues to evolve with time just like any sport, but it goes through phases as soon as you see more great big men across the league you'll see go back to being inside out game staring centers.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Quite honestly, I am the biggest Kobe fan and I think the Lakers FO the last few years has been absolutely awful but....I also think that the NBA has evolved in the way that makes it impossible to win with a player like Kobe as your first option, especially at the age of 36 and if there is anyone as a coach who might have a shot to do it, it would be Phil.

The paradigm of the NBA is such that MDA bball is much more in line with what constitutws winning bball nowadays than any offense with Kobe as your number one guy.

He grew up and developed as a player during the time when it was still big men's game. He learned to win in a big men's league. Not only is there no room for big men like Shaq in today's NBA, there is no room for a player like Kobe as well..at least as a first option.

Alright so what you're saying is prime Kobe couldn't play in this era of fast breaks and three point shooting if that's the case I guess MJ couldent either along with other great players 2000's and before. Sorry I don't think that at all if anything as big fan of NBA this is weakest I have ever seen NBA in decades not many superstars, great and dynasty teams anymore.

Prime Kobe is just so talented, of course he could. It's interesting however to think how successful the prototypical centers like Shaq would be in today's game.
It's not about the talent level of the NBA. It is just different. We can call it the advanced metrics era.

Shaq would still do well because no advanced metrics can overcome the fact most centers today suck.
yup, he might even be better. He used to manhandle big centers in the 90's and early 20's, not there is little to none of them. He would just completely posterize everyone.

Shaq's speed and size would dominate in any era.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Shaq would still do well because no advanced metrics can overcome the fact most centers today suck.
yup, he might even be better. He used to manhandle big centers in the 90's and early 20's, not there is little to none of them. He would just completely posterize everyone.

Shaq's speed and size would dominate in any era.

Any of the past greats would dominate today without a doubt just think no hand checking, physical defense, no flopping, technical fouls they were all custom too in their era. I can only imagine the numbers Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan would put up, I remember Phil Jackson saying MJ would average 40 points a game in this current era easily.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

I gotcha. I do think NBA game continues to evolve with time just like any sport, but it goes through phases as soon as you see more great big men across the league you'll see go back to being inside out game staring centers.
the problem is, we will be hard pressed looking for true bigs. because players are created not based on size/agility/shooting ability. their created due to whats hot when they are kids.

prime example. magic, other pgs, and bigs were hot when i was growing up. so i wanted to do two things. DUNK like a big man, swat some shots..like a big man, and throw sweat passes like magic/stockon/etc.

now everyone is looking at Kevin love, Lemarcus, blake griffin, ibaka, etc. turning themselves into face up bigs. Julius randle was quoted as saying i dont want to be the next shaq, i want to be the next kobe. you see how well randle can dribble for his size??? he's been trying to be like kobe for his entire basketball life.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject:

Did anyone Foresee Randle going down at Game 1?
Of course not. Neither did Kobe.

Guys talking about 48m contract are less tolerable.
A healthy Randle would have made a lot of difference. Unless you disagree.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

I think a healthy Randle wouldn't take us from non-playoffs to playoffs. We'd be better, and there would be a young player to watch with keen interest, but he wasn't going to be a silver bullet this year at age 19.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

troy wrote:

Wish he knew sharing some of his $23,500,000 salary would have probably gotten him a Robin. #EgoMoneyKills
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

I think a healthy Randle wouldn't take us from non-playoffs to playoffs. We'd be better, and there would be a young player to watch with keen interest, but he wasn't going to be a silver bullet this year at age 19.

Yep. We'd probably win as many games in Randle's presence as we'd lose if we put him in a position to have a real impact on the game. That's part of the development process though.

That's why for me, that's what this season was ultimately about. Developing Randle. Now we're really in a holding pattern. No more players to develop (maybe Clarkson).
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

Is the OP's question pertaining specifically to this season, or next?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

Technical foul #3 should be tonight.
romanaztec
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

NO
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

P.K. wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
troy wrote:
His best friend (Gasol) is gone.

His confidant (Fisher) is coaching in New York.

His fellow veteran (Nash) is brooding over his ex-wife while he collects $$ for doing nothing.

His fellow tough guy (Artest) is fading into the sunset.

His coach (Scott) can't do anything but frown like he's constipated.

Kobe is all alone in Lakerland. Nobody left from the glory days. Nobody left to talk to, or confide in. He shares the locker-room with a bunch of confused looking D-Leaguers and a few castaways from other teams.

All of this is happening while the San Antonio Spurs' core players, who were around back in the Shag/Kobe era, are still playing strong.

Kobe is all alone.

Other players in his era have bounced around the league, trying to find that chemistry that may land them that one last title...but Kobe has remained. For now.

How long will he put up with it before he has a meltdown? Why do I think he won't retire a Laker afterall...

Lol, that is crazy talk. The Lakers signed him to a big contract so he will retire a Laker. The one thing Lakers fans can look forward to is seeing Kobe retire as a Laker. Dude has been a warrior for this franchise. He deserves to retire a Laker.

Unless he gets pissed off playing with a Z-league level team and repeatedly demands a trade to a contender...then LAL management may consider it

"Z-league"
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
Is the OP's question pertaining specifically to this season, or next?

This season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
This isnt a challenge, there is no good outcome in this. NO matter how hard they play, they dont have the talent to compete.

There is no help coming, there is no one to trade other then Kobe, and if they do that, its for a young guy and draft pics. WHen the season started i was optimistic. I was thinking that just maybe Randle will start to excel into a good player the 2nd half of the season, but now thats off the table, there is no potential that might work out this year. Its Curtains. Ill be tuning in to watch the game to see how bad they lose. It sucks, but if i get super serious im going to be like kobe in a bad mood. lol

I disagree, there is a good outcome to this. And Kobe stated it perfectly, if he can convert Lin into a championship PG, it will be a great season with a nice future. Big picture is the way to look at this season.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
drzucchini wrote:

I disagree, there is a good outcome to this. And Kobe stated it perfectly, if he can convert Lin into a championship PG, it will be a great season with a nice future. Big picture is the way to look at this season.

We're keeping Lin?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

orwell wrote:
troy wrote:

Wish he knew sharing some of his $23,500,000 salary would have probably gotten him a Robin. #EgoMoneyKills

It also could have meant the difference between a lottery pick and watching Phoenix get that pick.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

And Kobe stated it perfectly, if he can convert Lin into a championship PG, it will be a great season with a nice future.

Now that's some serious optimism.

I'm fearing Kobe's brand of "tutelage" could have the opposite effect on Lin. But I'm hoping/praying your possibility is what actually transpires.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
drzucchini wrote:

We're keeping Lin?

If he turns into a championship PG, then it is a no brainer.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

venturalakersfan wrote:
It also could have meant the difference between a lottery pick and watching Phoenix get that pick.

are you firmly in the "bottom two record at all costs" camp?
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

What's Kobe going to do if he cannot tolerate it? Lakers shouldn't be about pleasing Kobe anymore. It should be about preparing for the next era.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can Kobe tolerate another horrible season?

lkjhf wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

are you firmly in the "bottom two record at all costs" camp?

I am not wanting to be there, just the product on the court seems headed there.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And Kobe stated it perfectly, if he can convert Lin into a championship PG, it will be a great season with a nice future.

Now that's some serious optimism.

I'm fearing Kobe's brand of "tutelage" could have the opposite effect on Lin. But I'm hoping/praying your possibility is what actually transpires.

Let's be honest though...
the only way Lin becomes a championship level PG is if Lil Bow Wow gives him Michael Jordan's magic shoes
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

I agree with some of the other posters here, lock the thread, it doesn't matter what Kobe wants anymore. He's getting paid to put up with a rebuild. I don't want to hear him whine even once. Just shut up, score and put on a smile while you collect your huge pay checks.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

To the OP, does Kobe have an option?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: