Kobe going to get in trouble again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
We should be moving towards the elimination of the use of these terms, even if that means some "acceptable" situations get caught in the mix.

Phenomenal idea. In fact, let's take this noble cause a step further and also ban words such as "idiot." After all, it has a very specific medical definition, and usage of such a word today could show blatant disrespect of those who are unfortunate enough to be severely mentally disabled.

If you feel that way, I recommend you work on that.

Keep us posted on your progress?

does that mean latinos can't call each other "buey" too? because to us, it's the equivalent as the "igga" word.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Ha! Kobe has definitely embraced his African American culture. I think he came back from Italy somewhat disposed of a cultural identity. But that right there, that was straight from the corner of MLK and Crenshaw back in the day.

Ha!

I don't think being straight from Crenshaw is right and being cosmopolitan and more European is wrong. I think as long as you have pride in who you are and where you come from, no one inside or outside of you ethnicity ought to be able to tell you how to be that ethnicity.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
We should be moving towards the elimination of the use of these terms, even if that means some "acceptable" situations get caught in the mix.

Phenomenal idea. In fact, let's take this noble cause a step further and also ban words such as "idiot." After all, it has a very specific medical definition, and usage of such a word today could show blatant disrespect of those who are unfortunate enough to be severely mentally disabled.

does that mean latinos can't call each other "buey" too? because to us, it's the equivalent as the "igga" word.

do non-latinos use that word or a variation of it? the difference with what kobe said i suppose is that racists love that word.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Oh jeez. Not another one of these discussions again. These will never end well when it involves a Laker (especially the Kobester).

Frankly, I couldn't tell from the audio if that's what he said.

But racism, including the use of ethnic slurs, should not be tolerated.

Oh, he said it. It's obvious. I've heard and said it thousands of times. And it ain't even close to being racist. And it ain't even close to being an ethnic slur. Context is important.

Would you still feel that way if Donald Sterling called you a bit*h as* nigg*???

What if some random white guy was mad at you on the road and he rolled down his window and yelled "don't cut me off you bitc* as* nigg*!!!!" You still wouldn't find it racist?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

So what was the word used? Was it "ringfinger"? I would sue if someone called me that.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Oh jeez. Not another one of these discussions again. These will never end well when it involves a Laker (especially the Kobester).

Oh, he said it. It's obvious. I've heard and said it thousands of times. And it ain't even close to being racist. And it ain't even close to being an ethnic slur. Context is important.

Would you still feel that way if Donald Sterling called you a bit*h as* nigg*???

What if some random white guy was mad at you on the road and he rolled down his window and yelled "don't cut me off you bitc* as* nigg*!!!!" You still wouldn't find it racist?

Just like he said context matters. A black guy can say it and it is not serious while if a white or any other race says it is raises eyebrows. That is just the way it is. Trying to argue that it should be different is stupid. There are plenty of in group words that would not be accepted by people outside of the group. You don't need to be a sociologist to understand that.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I love Kobe more and more each day. Punk ass dwight. So glad he's not on this squad. Could never root for that (bleep) ass schmuck.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
So what was the word used? Was it "ringfinger"? I would sue if someone called me that.

Dude if anyone ever called you that I would (bleep) kill them.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

no jodas, pinche guey

no era penal

Last edited by C M B on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Just like he said context matters. A black guy can say it and it is not serious while if a white or any other race says it is raises eyebrows. That is just the way it is. Trying to argue that it should be different is stupid. There are plenty of in group words that would not be accepted by people outside of the group. You don't need to be a sociologist to understand that.

What about Jeremy Lin? What if he were the one elbowed by Howard and he was the one who called Dwight a "nigg*".

That's the same context, would that be ok?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't meant in a racial way, so it's a non-story. Anybody who's played pickup games know that players of all races use niggga quite often.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

What about Jeremy Lin? What if he were the one elbowed by Howard and he was the one who called Dwight a "nigg*".

Did you not comprehend my post? Is Jeremy Lin black? No? Ok, the answer should be obvious then.

It seems like you want to obtuse to this topic for some reason. Don't expect me to argue with you for pages over this topic.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
golaker wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Did you not comprehend my post? Is Jeremy Lin black? No? Ok, the answer should be obvious then.

I think you don't understand what context means, but that's ok. One person being black and one person being white doesn't define a different context.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
C M B wrote:

You see, fear is a fighter's best friend. You know, but it ain't nothing to be ashamed of. See, fear keeps you sharp, it keeps you awake, you know, it makes you want to survive. You know what I mean? But the thing is, you gotta learn how to control it. All right? 'Cause fear is like this fire, all right? And it's burning deep inside. Now, if you control it, Tommy, it's gonna make you hot. But, you see, if this thing here, it controls you, it's gonna burn you and everything else around you up. That's right, you know?

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:

I think you don't understand what context means, but that's ok. One person being black and one person being white doesn't define a different context.

Yes it does because the word is used mainly among african americans. The word also has an ugly history among racist who are often not African american. That is context right there.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Lol whatever. Good luck with that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Guys when you use that terrible word, better make sure to ENUNCIATE as a beatdown is contingent upon the proper pronunciation of -a or -er.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
Lol whatever. Good luck with that.

Next time learn what context actually is. And the history of the word itself.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

That's not nice. My mother gave me my name.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

no jodas, pinche guey

no era penal

noooo! racist!
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Ok. I'm going to TRY to give the point of this tread some clarity. I'll do my best anyways....

In regards to the use of the "N" word, the is a bit complex, because of the history of the word.

Most educated people should have some knowledge of the origin of the "N" word, so I'm going to skip that. Suffice to say that, the word was originally meant to be descriptive, not derogatory.

Of course, over time, the usage/meaning of the word changed to something more sinister. Most people know this.

Recently however, the "N" word has seen usage to convey something other than "description" or "derogation" in its meaning. Granted, the "new N" word at first was mostly used between black people. It was "our" word.

But, propagation of the "new N" through music, movies, and other major media, has spread the word beyond the bounds of the black neighborhoods/homes. Once this happened, a word that black people considered their own, a right earned through decades of blood, sweat, and death, wasn't just theirs anymore.

The word was ok for blacks, and non-spanish latino/a's to use. Since we had a shared history of discrimination, and non-acceptance. Can't speak for Native Americans, but I'm sure if they wanted to use the word, it would be fine too, given their history.

The "N" word was seen as a word of "ownership" when used in the past. The word "boy", also falls into this group. Now, black people own themselves, and that freedom took expression through our usage of the "new N" word. For some in the black community the "new N" word means brotherhood, not humiliation. Of course, the debate of the usage rages on, within the black community.

All that being said. Now, the "N" word is out there. I, for one, am not offended when non-blacks use the word. Granted, most non-blacks use it because it's the new fad. But, instead of punishing people for saying the word, I like to educate people, so there's a better understanding of what that word means to black people, and why we use it. If my non-black brothers wanna use that word to try to connect with me, cool.

Anyways, a lot of text, and I'm sure that what I posted doesn't really cover it all, but I could literally go on and on about this topic. Just wanted to make it as short as possible, while getting my point of view across.

ZOOM!
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

If a white player had said it he would have been fined. You can't have that double standard.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Igga and igger are 2 completely different words. Racists love and use the latter. Blacks use the former among themselves.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
C M B wrote:

You see, fear is a fighter's best friend. You know, but it ain't nothing to be ashamed of. See, fear keeps you sharp, it keeps you awake, you know, it makes you want to survive. You know what I mean? But the thing is, you gotta learn how to control it. All right? 'Cause fear is like this fire, all right? And it's burning deep inside. Now, if you control it, Tommy, it's gonna make you hot. But, you see, if this thing here, it controls you, it's gonna burn you and everything else around you up. That's right, you know?

(bleep), I am going to (bleep) kill you now. Lmao
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
If a white player had said it he would have been fined. You can't have that double standard.

Bingo, and if that is a problem then use a more politically correct word to substitute in for it, it's not to hard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: