Kobe going to get in trouble again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
So what was the word used? Was it "ringfinger"? I would sue if someone called me that.

singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

lol media grasping at straws
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's not getting in trouble for this. Not a chance.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
So what was the word used? Was it "ringfinger"? I would sue if someone called me that.

That's not nice. My mother gave me my name.

I suggested middlefinger but it was her call.
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Let them talk trash to eachother.. Who cares? Its good for the game, and its not like anybody knew that he said this while watching on TV.. In fact, I am sure NOBODY knew.. So why turn it into a big deal? These are grown African American men we are talking about lol

IG: wywsabaywb
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Is this video the only evidence? I couldn't tell what he said it was so choppy.

EDIT: I listened again, that's what he said auight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
golaker wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Oh jeez. Not another one of these discussions again. These will never end well when it involves a Laker (especially the Kobester).

Frankly, I couldn't tell from the audio if that's what he said.

But racism, including the use of ethnic slurs, should not be tolerated.

Oh, he said it. It's obvious. I've heard and said it thousands of times. And it ain't even close to being racist. And it ain't even close to being an ethnic slur. Context is important.

Would you still feel that way if Donald Sterling called you a bit*h as* nigg*???

What if some random white guy was mad at you on the road and he rolled down his window and yelled "don't cut me off you bitc* as* nigg*!!!!" You still wouldn't find it racist?

Just like he said context matters. A black guy can say it and it is not serious while if a white or any other race says it is raises eyebrows. That is just the way it is. Trying to argue that it should be different is stupid. There are plenty of in group words that would not be accepted by people outside of the group. You don't need to be a sociologist to understand that.

Man, I can't believe you guys don't get KBCB is only saying Kobe went hood. Talking about taking something out of context. SMH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

This is such senestive world we live in now so sad....
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Oh jeez. Not another one of these discussions again. These will never end well when it involves a Laker (especially the Kobester).

Oh, he said it. It's obvious. I've heard and said it thousands of times. And it ain't even close to being racist. And it ain't even close to being an ethnic slur. Context is important.

And from watching the video, you gathered that the context in which it was said, was friendly banter?

No, it was meant as an indictment. But it wasn't racist nor was anything he said meant as an ethnic slur.

Can we not do that thing where Kobe could murder somebody and we'll find a way to justify it because, you know, it's Kobe?

We know he has a history with using derogatory terms on the court when he is upset.

But if ANYONE uses the n-word, and they use it in the form of an indictment when they are mad at someone, then yeah he should get some fine for it, whatever it is. No big deal. Let's move on.

For me, it was hard to tell on the video if he said anything at all in that regard, so I wouldn't levy any punishment. But if I heard him say it, then I'd hand down a punishment. We should be moving towards the elimination of the use of these terms, even if that means some "acceptable" situations get caught in the mix.

Apples and oranges. It is pretty obvious that he called him a "Soft, big ass, (bleep) ass (bleep). " The league will probably fine him for it. But that still doesn't make it racist or the use of an ethnic slur.

Not sure how calling someone a (bleep) ass n-word is not an ethnic slur. I'm not sure people would feel the same way if I walked around saying it.

"But, but, KobeBryantCliffordBrown from LakersGround said it was not a slur!" Yeah .... not going to fly me thinks.

This doesn't have to be complicated. He used the n-word with malice. If that is their finding, fine the man and move on end of story.

We fans don't need to get in to that game of trying to downplay it because it was our player that did. Let's just call it like it is and move on.
ridiculous response here. but par for the course.
its simple. it has always been simple. we know what happened back in the day in america, we know certain types of americans still use that "er" version til this very day and we know why they use it. but we also know that if a black guy calls another black guy the name with an "a" he is not calling said black guy a slave or someone less than human. even when used in a negative context.

the word with the "a" actually just means black person most times. sure there are some people that will say it to mean any and everyone(you will hear kids doing that)"

ex

This n...a over here is hilarious (not a negative context)
B...h a... n...a (what kobe said... negative context)

i can replace that N word with an "a" with Black man
This black man over hre is hilarious
B...h a... black man(what kobe said referring to dwight who is.. a black man)

These n...as are crazy- negative

These black men are crazy

now lets use that other version

This n...er over here is hilarious(only a non black person would use that version and usually only white people would use that version. we already know the history with that version. any person trying to still use that version is using the N word with an "a' as an excuse to sneak a racial slur in. Thats all thats happening. any white person bent out of shape because blacks can use that word but they cant needs to realize. yes.. its a double standard. but so what. from all the things people of color had to deal with at the hands of whites. I think white's should be willing to give black people a pass when they want to use a word and say it how they want to and you cant say it. Put it this way. If you're white and friends with a black guy. Dont say that word. and dont Desire to say that word. If you are really friends with that black person you would take your friendship over the desire to say that word. Let the people that have had their ancestors enslaved by your ancestors get away with a little word they call each other. Thats the least you could do.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Is this video the only evidence? I couldn't tell what he said it was so choppy.

EDIT: I listened again, that's what he said auight.
lol. Oh yeah.. he said it. there's no denying that.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's become stupid and angry in his old age. It's sad to see.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
Kobe's become stupid and angry in his old age. It's sad to see.

Ty Cobb of his generation
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
F_Nitty24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

This is some great conversation, I think if they want to fine players for the language they are using on the court they have to be consistent with this. Everyone should be accountable for what they say. You got Dwight over there calling Kobe a P*s$y more then once on camera and thats not being brought up. I just think this whole thing is stupid and players are going to talk trash, as long as the other player isn't offended or called a *racial slurs* it should be fine.

Also, I love reading all of you guys post even though I don't post as much...great opinions on this board!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

Kobe mad for Dwight (bleep) around the locker with score sheet in hand, telling everyone including those who won't listen how he only attempted few shots.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Lin_Stan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject:

The problem is that an Entity's policies and a country's laws usually are NOT flexible enough to vary by race, sex, personality, height, etc... The one thing it sometimes varies by is age, and we'll see how the US handles gender specific cases over time.

But the NBA can't simply make a policy saying "Okay we're gonna punish non-blacks for using the "a" ending and blacks go unpunished." Because it would ultimately symbolize them taking a stance on a controversial issue that no other entity has popularized yet, it's risky business. Especially when mainstream America considers both "a" and "er" to be completely inappropriate to say for both any black or non-black.

Just like how there was a recent case where a young attractive female teacher was charged with 30 counts of rape on a 16 year old high school male. Even though socially, we may not consider the kid a victim, the law has to punish men and women equally (at least until we as a society decide it's okay to bend laws based on sex).

However, I think it's fairly common sense to understand Kobe wasn't trying to denigrate Dwight based on race. He was using it in the connotation he's heard it used millions of times before, as a non-racially charged insult. Nonetheless, I expect the NBA to punish Kobe for it if this becomes a big deal in the news.

As a side note, I had lots of white friends and asian friends who listened to nothing but rap in high school and referred to each other (whites calling other whites, asians calling other asians) with the "a" ending version. Just ignorant kids trying to be cool.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

why did they feel the need to make it er instead of a...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

Again, make sure to ENUNCIATE. I'm sure reasonable folks will say, "eh, I heard the -a...put down the bats and knives, he's alright."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And from watching the video, you gathered that the context in which it was said, was friendly banter?

No, it was meant as an indictment. But it wasn't racist nor was anything he said meant as an ethnic slur.

Can we not do that thing where Kobe could murder somebody and we'll find a way to justify it because, you know, it's Kobe?

We know he has a history with using derogatory terms on the court when he is upset.

But if ANYONE uses the n-word, and they use it in the form of an indictment when they are mad at someone, then yeah he should get some fine for it, whatever it is. No big deal. Let's move on.

For me, it was hard to tell on the video if he said anything at all in that regard, so I wouldn't levy any punishment. But if I heard him say it, then I'd hand down a punishment. We should be moving towards the elimination of the use of these terms, even if that means some "acceptable" situations get caught in the mix.

Apples and oranges. It is pretty obvious that he called him a "Soft, big ass, (bleep) ass (bleep). " The league will probably fine him for it. But that still doesn't make it racist or the use of an ethnic slur.

Not sure how calling someone a (bleep) ass n-word is not an ethnic slur. I'm not sure people would feel the same way if I walked around saying it.

"But, but, KobeBryantCliffordBrown from LakersGround said it was not a slur!" Yeah .... not going to fly me thinks.

This doesn't have to be complicated. He used the n-word with malice. If that is their finding, fine the man and move on end of story.

We fans don't need to get in to that game of trying to downplay it because it was our player that did. Let's just call it like it is and move on.
its simple. it has always been simple. we know what happened back in the day in america, we know certain types of americans still use that "er" version til this very day and we know why they use it. but we also know that if a black guy calls another black guy the name with an "a" he is not calling said black guy a slave or someone less than human. even when used in a negative context.

the word with the "a" actually just means black person most times. sure there are some people that will say it to mean any and everyone(you will hear kids doing that)"

ex

This n...er over here is hilarious(only a non black person would use that version and usually only white people would use that version. we already know the history with that version. any person trying to still use that version is using the N word with an "a' as an excuse to sneak a racial slur in. Thats all thats happening. any white person bent out of shape because blacks can use that word but they cant needs to realize. yes.. its a double standard. but so what. from all the things people of color had to deal with at the hands of whites. I think white's should be willing to give black people a pass when they want to use a word and say it how they want to and you cant say it. Put it this way. If you're white and friends with a black guy. Dont say that word. and dont Desire to say that word. If you are really friends with that black person you would take your friendship over the desire to say that word. Let the people that have had their ancestors enslaved by your ancestors get away with a little word they call each other. Thats the least you could do.

The point isn't the letter of the law. It's the spirit of the law.

If a black NBA player walks up to Tony Brothers (a black referee), gives him a hug during warmups and says "what's up my n---a? how you been?" that is entirely different than if Tony Brothers calls a phantom foul on that player and that player yells "you a bi**h a** n***a!" with malice.

I know for some the distinction is cloudy because the same word is being used, but it's on that very distinction that any ruling hinges.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

It's not slander/libel if it's the truth...

Rule is stupid. Unless Howard complains about it or a fight breaks out, nothing should be done.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
It's not slander/libel if it's the truth...

Rule is stupid. Unless Howard complains about it or a fight breaks out, nothing should be done.

The issue isn't slander/libel. Your co-worker maybe be an ahole, but you're not going to get away with calling him that in the workplace.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ex

If a black NBA player walks up to Tony Brothers (a black referee), gives him a hug during warmups and says "what's up my n---a? how you been?" that is entirely different than if Tony Brothers calls a phantom foul on that player and that player yells "you a bi**h a** n***a!" with malice.

I know for some the distinction is cloudy because the same word is being used, but it's on that very distinction that any ruling hinges.
ring, i'm glad you broke it down like that.

lets use your example.
if your example kobe should not get fined/punished for saying the n---"a" version to either the player or the ref. what kobe should get fined for is obscene language.. its what comes before the n word with the"a" thats the problem. not the word itself. the word only becomes a problem when you throw an "er" at the end of it and its coming from the mouth of someone non african american.

like i said above you can easily replace that n word with the "a" with black man or brotha

kobe greets melo pre game.. "whats good my n....a" = "whats good my brotha"

kobe is hot about a bad no call from a black ref "you a bi**h a** n***a!"
= "you a bi**h a** brotha!"

he should still get fined for the derogatory name that precedes the word brotha. do you see my point ring?

The issue with the derogatory or cursing at the ref thing is that the refs are an authority figure to some degree. and these players are millionaires and the entertainers the people came to see. The only reason the people even respect the calls a ref makes is because the players respect said calls more times then not. if they stop respecting the refs and most of their calls and start talking to them in a disrespectful manner. US the viewers would not respect the refs calls either. This is why you would have to fine/punish a player for talking to a ref like that. its not the N word with the "a" thats the problem. its the disrespect.

now if the ref asks kobe nicely "dont call me that" then if kobe says it again. its well within the refs rights to hit kobe with a Tech.

Think about it. Does it feel any better when someone calls a black guy a B word without the N word at the end with the "a"? NO its that B-word that has the sting to it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ex

lets use your example.
if your example kobe should not get fined/punished for saying the n---"a" version to either the player or the ref. what kobe should get fined for is obscene language.. its what comes before the n word with the"a" thats the problem. not the word itself. the word only becomes a problem when you throw an "er" at the end of it and its coming from the mouth of someone non african american.

like i said above you can easily replace that n word with the "a" with black man or brotha

he should still get fined for the derogatory name that precedes the word brotha. do you see my point ring?

The issue with the derogatory or cursing at the ref thing is that the refs are an authority figure to some degree. and these players are millionaires and the entertainers the people came to see. The only reason the people even respect the calls a ref makes is because the players respect said calls more times then not. if they stop respecting the refs and most of their calls and start talking to them in a disrespectful manner. US the viewers would not respect the refs calls either. This is why you would have to fine/punish a player for talking to a ref like that. its not the N word with the "a" thats the problem. its the disrespect.

now if the ref asks kobe nicely "dont call me that" then if kobe says it again. its well within the refs rights to hit kobe with a Tech.

Think about it. Does it feel any better when someone calls a black guy a B word without the N word at the end with the "a"? NO its that B-word that has the sting to it.

Think spirit of the law.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Lin_Stan wrote:
The problem is that an Entity's policies and a country's laws usually are NOT flexible enough to vary by race, sex, personality, height, etc... The one thing it sometimes varies by is age, and we'll see how the US handles gender specific cases over time.

But the NBA can't simply make a policy saying "Okay we're gonna punish non-blacks for using the "a" ending and blacks go unpunished." Because it would ultimately symbolize them taking a stance on a controversial issue that no other entity has popularized yet, it's risky business. Especially when mainstream America considers both "a" and "er" to be completely inappropriate to say for both any black or non-black.

Just like how there was a recent case where a young attractive female teacher was charged with 30 counts of sexual assault on a 16 year old high school male. Even though socially, we may not consider the kid a victim, the law has to punish men and women equally (at least until we as a society decide it's okay to bend laws based on sex).

However, I think it's fairly common sense to understand Kobe wasn't trying to denigrate Dwight based on race. He was using it in the connotation he's heard it used millions of times before, as a non-racially charged insult. Nonetheless, I expect the NBA to punish Kobe for it if this becomes a big deal in the news.

As a side note, I had lots of white friends and asian friends who listened to nothing but rap in high school and referred to each other (whites calling other whites, asians calling other asians) with the "a" ending version. Just ignorant kids trying to be cool.
hey i hear you. but guess what, the law doesnt punish men and women equally. we're over here talking about the n word with the A. and missing the elephant in the room.. The B word. Thats a sexist word. even though the technical definition is female dog. we know whats being implied by said word. see if kobe called dwight gay. there would be a problem and an uproar. but its ok to call him a b-word. just as long as you dont call him gay or the n word(with the "a" or the 'er'"
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ex

lets use your example.

Think spirit of the law.
if i think spirit of the law then i say ZERO cursing period. Zero derogatory words/comments. NON.

if you dont like what a player just did to you "Dwight You're soft" and leave it at that. you dont like that call from the ref "REf thats a horrible call" and that will be that. you cant curse at anyone. But some folks that could care less about a few little words will say hey, cursing doesnt bother me and then pull out the history behind those words to find out its not what most of us think it is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: