Charles Barkley: Take the Lakers out of the National TV Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Hes right about that because i would rather have the Suns vs Spurs game on ESPN than us vs Clippers. They just want people to see how horrible the Lakers are.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Charles Barkley: Take the Lakers out of the National TV Games

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Quote:
Attention television executives, Charles Barkley does not want the Los Angeles Lakers on national TV anymore. He plead his case for less Lakers on TNT, while broadcasting for TNT:

LINK

Advertisers disagree there Chuck, and they are paying the bills. If he doesn't understand that, then he truly is an idiot.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
Any chance we could take Charles off of national broadcasts, instead?

Seriously this. No rings Barkley really shouldn't comment about the Lakers.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

I'd still rather watch a bad version of the Lakers than the best team in the NBA. I just don't want Jeanie conducting another upbeat interview while we're getting slaughtered on national TV. She should just decline the interview and look both studious and concerned like her father.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
Hes right about that because i would rather have the Suns vs Spurs game on ESPN than us vs Clippers. They just want people to see how horrible the Lakers are.

No. The NBA is still about superstars. And Kobe is a superstar and one of the most aesthetically pleasing players to watch.

As long as he's playing for the Lakers, no matter how bad the supporting cast around him is, he'll be must see TV. No one wants to see the Suns/Spurs if Kobe is playing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

People are still willing to pay lots of money to see this terrible version of the Lakers. That being said, I'm not sure the national audience cares much other than the haters, who love to see us get kicked in the teeth in front of a national audience.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

He is absolutely right. It's a form of torture to be on national tv with practically no chance to win. When Nash went down I was ok with it, however, when JR30 went down, so did the need to expose this team to a national audience.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:

Hahahahaha.

I long for the day when we finally get it. It's just about money. It's not about feeeeeeelings.

If putting the Lakers on makes them the most money, they will do it, regardless of why.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

I remember last year when NBA TV would have their fan night the fans usually voted for them to broadcast the Lakers game.

I agree that a better suggestion is to ban Barkley from the broadcast booth.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Its pretty simple. As long as Kobe is playing, the Lakers are going to get national games....if he goes down, the national broadcasters are going to pull Lakers games from the broadcast before you can even notice.
Lakers#1fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

I was pissed off when he initially said it. I literally cursed him out, but the guy is right.We don't deserve to be on national television from what we have witnessed so far from the Lakers.

I don't agree him bringing it up during a Cavs/Knicks game though?? Why not address it on TNT the next time we play.

On a side note, I like national televison presentation much better excluding the biased bashing of course. Our channel needs to change that same lame intro/exit music when they go to commercial and stuff my GOD!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its pretty simple. As long as Kobe is playing, the Lakers are going to get national games....if he goes down, the national broadcasters are going to pull Lakers games from the broadcast before you can even notice.

I know people watching the Lakers games, (who are Kobe/Lakers haters) who will watch just to laugh at Kobe's misery. So sad.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the national audience will love to watch Kobe have a meltdown at some point in the games.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
Any chance we could take Charles off of national broadcasts, instead?

Nope . . . people like to hear his stupid.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

It's entertainment. Barkley is entertaining. This iteration of the Lakers? not much. Unless you are a Lakers hater and want to bask in the team's and Kobe's misery.
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Aint gonna happen - this is how to get the money to pay Kobe!
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's entertainment. Barkley is entertaining. This iteration of the Lakers? not much. Unless you are a Lakers hater and want to bask in the team's and Kobe's misery.

I watched the Hornets / Bucks game from the other day and it was way more entertaining than our current product. This statement is more damning when you consider that I have zero emotional attachment to Bucks or Hornets.

Watching this season (and last) is a form of self-masochism. When Randle went down, my desire to watch the rest of the season went with it. I love Kobe, but I can't stand seeing him pissed off on the sidelines when we are getting blown out (which is going to happen a lot this season).
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I watched the Hornets / Bucks game from the other day and it was way more entertaining than our current product. This statement is more damning when you consider that I have zero emotional attachment to Bucks or Hornets.

Watching this season (and last) is a form of self-masochism. When Randle went down, my desire to watch the rest of the season went with it. I love Kobe, but I can't stand seeing him pissed off on the sidelines when we are getting blown out (which is going to happen a lot this season).

Yeah. Pretty much this. I have basketball needs and I cheated last night watching the Cavs/Knicks.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

People want to watch Kobe. He is the last great living legend on the court. They want to see his final chapter bottom line even if the talent around him is not good. Its not just laker fans that tune in to watch its many fans that want to see how Kobe will play.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. Pretty much this. I have basketball needs and I cheated last night watching the Cavs/Knicks.

made all the more satisfying with a Knick victory I am sure. I have spent half of my life in the Bay Area after being born and raised in LA. I am probably going to get my b-ball fix by following the Warriors more closely this year.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Barkley's right.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

The reason were still on TV. Is because Laker haters enjoy watching us lose.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'd still rather watch a bad version of the Lakers than the best team in the NBA. I just don't want Jeanie conducting another upbeat interview while we're getting slaughtered on national TV. She should just decline the interview and look both studious and concerned like her father.

Thats you personally thats not the general consensus since thats what Barkley is talking about. NBA fans dont want to watch a (bleep) team. They want to watch the marquee match up if there is one on.

Its gonna happen. Once the Lakers are 10 games out which isnt going to take long, the national games are pretty much over unless there isnt another match up worth watching over Kobe.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Why? People love seeing us get beat
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
The only people who want to watch Laker games regardless of the outcome are fans like us. The rest of the nation wants to watch competitive games and the first 2 games for the Lakers have been far from competitive. So taking the Lakers off the national stage makes perfect sense if you're the NBA.

I'd be curious to see the ratings. I mean we both agree that the best basketball product (at this time) would not include the Lakers but as for ratings, LA is still one of the most popular to love AND hate. I wonder how many would choose to tune into a Laker game than say Charlotte vs Washington?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: