Article: Knicks, Nets, Mavs, Hornets Could Conceivably Be Interested In Kobe; pg 11 - Kobe says he's not going anywhere
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why it wouldn't be a smart move to trade Kobe for assets? I understand the whole sentimental aspect of having him retire a Laker - but the fact is we're rebuilding. Instead of dragging out this rebuild longer than necessary, it makes perfect sense to move him now, while he's healthy, for assets. He's my favorite player ever, but if trading Kobe helps speed up the rebuild then I say pull the trigger. Team before individuals.

Can you provide us with a scenario that works under the CBA, will net the Lakers assets, and leaves the team Kobe is going to in contending status? That is the issue.

The Charlotte scenario being discussed seems to work under the CBA and would still leave the Hornets with a very good team. I know this is all hypothetical, and unlikely, but if a deal like that were available it would be asinine not to take it.

Would Kobe play under Jordan?

Would Jordan allow Kobe to suit up to pass his scoring record?
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why it wouldn't be a smart move to trade Kobe for assets? I understand the whole sentimental aspect of having him retire a Laker - but the fact is we're rebuilding. Instead of dragging out this rebuild longer than necessary, it makes perfect sense to move him now, while he's healthy, for assets. He's my favorite player ever, but if trading Kobe helps speed up the rebuild then I say pull the trigger. Team before individuals.

Can you provide us with a scenario that works under the CBA, will net the Lakers assets, and leaves the team Kobe is going to in contending status? That is the issue.

The Charlotte scenario being discussed seems to work under the CBA and would still leave the Hornets with a very good team. I know this is all hypothetical, and unlikely, but if a deal like that were available it would be asinine not to take it.

Haha, that would be an interesting dynamic, but Jordan is a businessman. Kobe playing for Charlotte helps the team contend in the East, and would generate a lot of $ for MJ. I don't see Jordan or Kobe being against such a move of it were available.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

And if Kobe would theoretically agree to leave to win another ring, how is Charlotte going to win a ring in the East with the Bulls and Cavs at the top of the pecking order???
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

And if Kobe would theoretically agree to leave to win another ring, how is Charlotte going to win a ring in the East with the Bulls and Cavs at the top of the pecking order???

And if they have to give up half their roster. I always thought Kobe's mammoth contract was to make it untradeable by design. Hard to construct a trade that doesn't immediately decimate Kobe's new team.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

That's a lot of teams going for the worst contract in the league.

how does his contract increase their chances? I thought it was impossible with that salary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:

I think the Hornets idea up-thread would be more appetizing for the Lakers and for Kobe. That Suns lineup with Kobe wouldn't sniff the 2nd round and might not make the playoffs in the loaded west.

I missed that, not a bad deal. But I question Kobe's agreeing to go to the East coast. He could still commute to Phoenix.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
That's a lot of teams going for the worst contract in the league.

how does his contract increase their chances? I thought it was impossible with that salary.

It is. There's no deal where Kobe could be dealt to a contender without decimating his new team's roster.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

I see Knicks as the bigger attraction...you can't tell me the charlotte hornets with al jefferson and walker is more attractive than a big market like NY, with Phil Jackson, Derek fisher, the triangle offense, and Carmelo Anthony already in place. They would be a playoff team at least.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

I think the Hornets idea up-thread would be more appetizing for the Lakers and for Kobe. That Suns lineup with Kobe wouldn't sniff the 2nd round and might not make the playoffs in the loaded west.

I missed that, not a bad deal. But I question Kobe's agreeing to go to the East coast. He could still commute to Phoenix.

Yeah, and would be a particularly hard sell for him to have to live in Charlotte. But the west is absolutely brutal so I don't see any chance of Kobe staying in the west if his goal is a chance at leading a contender.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Who could the Hornets give us for kobe? Stephenson? Mkg? I think I'd only be interested in stephenson but that wouldn't be enough. What could mavs give? Parsons and what else? I can't see kobe approving any of that anyway. Knicks are the only real option and quite frankly, hardaway jr is a very nice piece to rebuild with along with the expirings of ny to command the tank and clear cap, maybe even steal a draft pick from them as well.

Then we could go into the next year with randle, clarkson, Hou pick, suns pick, hardaway jr, kelly, nick young and cap space. Possibly knicks pick too. That would be a sweet rebuilding squad. With all those picks we could even make a big trade.

Doubt it will happen especially with all the spin lakers been putting on the lakers legend culture for this season, with hiring of scott, defending kobes contract taking care of our players, showtime lakers involvement, worthy camp etc.

Hornets: This is just a guess. But it might be something like this.

Gerald Henderson SG $6,000,000
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF $5,016,960
Cody Zeller C $4,030,560
Gary Neal SG $3,250,000
Noah Vonleh PF $2,524,200
Plus a future 1st round

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pdgjsps

Oh boy the giant pu pu platter. How long do those garbage contracts last?

Gerald Henderson SG $6,000,000 - 2 years left
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF $5,016,960 - 2 years left
Cody Zeller C $4,030,560 - 3 years left
Gary Neal SG $3,250,000 - 1 year
Noah Vonleh PF $2,524,200 - 4 years (rookie contract)
Plus a future 1st round

No way Kobe would even allow the Lakers trading him to Charlotte. Charlotte would have to give up too much, and Charlotte just doesn't have any superstars.

I'm pretty sure that if Kobe was even remotely considering on going to another team, it would be the Knicks, because Carmelo is there, and the path to a ring would be Easier than the West...or at least the path to a playoff spot. And this would pit a possible Kobe/Melo versus Lebron/Love ECF type of situation. Kobe would probably relish the idea of beating a prime Lebron in his twilight years.

But lets not forget Knicks fans hate Kobe. East coast people hate Kobe. Knicks would infuriate their own fan base by making that kind of move I would imagine.

I doubt the Lakers would ever trade Kobe but a

Al Jefferson
Marvin Williams
Kobe
Stephenson
Walker
starting 5 would contend

Only some of those guys would have to come to the Lakers to make salaries work.

Not necessarily,

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pdgjsps

Only MKG (one of their starters) and 4 bench warmers plus a 1 round. Anyways it's pipe for the Hornets
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Jeggs wrote:
I see Knicks as the bigger attraction...you can't tell me the charlotte hornets with al jefferson and walker is more attractive than a big market like NY, with Phil Jackson, Derek fisher, the triangle offense, and Carmelo Anthony already in place. They would be a playoff team at least.

I can't see any NY deal that would be attractive to LA.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

The issue with NY is that they have very little to offer us. It would most likely be very appealing to Kobe and the Knicks, but I see little incentive for Kupchak and the gang to do it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

Unless the Knicks are sending us Melo, there is no reason to deal with them.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

The issue with NY is that they have very little to offer us. It would most likely be very appealing to Kobe and the Knicks, but I see little incentive for Kupchak and the gang to do it.

I see I thought someone here said NY had a pick. Amare expiring contract, tim hardaway jr..and a 1st round pick...and freeing up 20 mill in cap for next season when we dump amare seems attractive. I just don't see the Lakers wanting to take on long term contracts from charlotte. Mitch wants flexibility..he wants to free up cap and go after 2015 free agents I would imagine.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:

Weird thing is that kobe is supposed to be an attraction, but the longer it takes this team to rebuild with him on the team the less attracted I am to watching the lakers.

Are there really more kobe fans than lakers fans? People rather watch kobe lose and break records than support a young exciting team in full rebuild mode after they fully tank? I dunno the poll on this site about trading kobe says otherwise but of course that's just a small sample size.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Weird thing is that kobe is supposed to be an attraction, but the longer it takes this team to rebuild with him on the team the less attracted I am to watching the lakers.

Are there really more kobe fans than lakers fans? People rather watch kobe lose and break records than support a young exciting team in full rebuild mode after they fully tank? I dunno the poll on this site about trading kobe says otherwise but of course that's just a small sample size.

I don't know but seeing Randle go down, Nash out, Young out has definitely made me think twice about watching. I always say this but always end up watching any way. I have to see Kobe play because there may never be another player like him. We just need to do what we have to do to get Durant in my mind. And I'm not sure what path that is.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

Did you see all the debates justifying kobe's contract because of how much money the lakers make from him?

Did you see how much revenue we brought in last year?

Yes, people will watch him regardless of team success.
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Do you guys think if Kobe was traded to the Pelicans for say Gordon and Evans and picks, whould they be a force in the West?

Jru
Kobe
??? Ryan Anderson
A Davis
Asik
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
Do you guys think if Kobe was traded to the Pelicans for say Gordon and Evans and picks, whould they be a force in the West?

Jru
Kobe
??? Ryan Anderson
A Davis
Asik

Looks like the Pelicans can be a force this year. They just need veteran leadership and experience.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:

Jru
Kobe
??? Ryan Anderson
A Davis
Asik

Sure, but why would LA want the Pellies worst contracts?
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
pd24 wrote:

Jru
Kobe
??? Ryan Anderson
A Davis
Asik

Sure, but why would LA want the Pellies worst contracts?

To get some picks and Gordon would run out in 2 years and Evans in 3. The rebuilding will take 4 or 5 years so they can carry the contracts while still leaving open the option of spending on Max players in each of the next 3 years and adding draft picks. We would still have Max slots next year and the year after.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

If we're still bad by mid december and Kobe demands a trade(which I believe will happen), the FO will have no choice but to trade him. If Kobe continues to put up good numbers and he's put on the trading block, there will be plenty of teams calling. The trade the makes the most sense for both teams is Kobe to the Knicks for Amare, Hardaway JR, and Cleanthony Early.

Melo, Kobe, Shumpert, JR Smith, Calderon, and Dalembert would be contenders in the East. Amare contract expires next year and we'll have only Randle, Top 5 pick, Hardaway JR, Early, and Kelly on the roster. We'll have enough cap space to sign 2 Max free agents with Kobe gone and it allows us to rebuild quicker.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

If the question is "if" we could let Kobe go get his next ring elsewhere? Sure, I'd have no problem whatsoever. If a team can set up a multiple team trade where LAL gets some young talent and a few un-restricted first rounders; why not.

As currently structure this team is going now where, so I'd have no problem moving on.....hypothetically of course..
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
If we're still bad by mid december and Kobe demands a trade(which I believe will happen), the FO will have no choice but to trade him. If Kobe continues to put up good numbers and he's put on the trading block, there will be plenty of teams calling. The trade the makes the most sense for both teams is Kobe to the Knicks for Amare, Hardaway JR, and Cleanthony Early.

Melo, Kobe, Shumpert, JR Smith, Calderon, and Dalembert would be contenders in the East. Amare contract expires next year and we'll have only Randle, Top 5 pick, Hardaway JR, Early, and Kelly on the roster. We'll have enough cap space to sign 2 Max free agents with Kobe gone and it allows us to rebuild quicker.

No incentive for the Lakers to do this trade. Early and Hardaway are dime-a-dozen type players with no real upside.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NastyNas_87 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Option 1 is the ONLY feasible idea in that article.

"Indirectly" tank to make sure we get a top 5 pick. Let Kobe chuck as many shots as he wants to go after Kareem's scoring title.

No. The best option is trade Kobe to NY for Amare (contract expires next year rather than Kobe's which sticks for 2 years). Tank like our lives depend on it for a top 5 pick.

Use the free agency money this summer to make a run at the big names. With no Kobe, maybe someone signs for a chance to be the man in LA.

Resign Kobe in 2016 after his 2 years in NY are over for his farewell tour. For all we know, we might have a contender by then made up of Randle/our top 5 pick/and a max free agent.

No, the best option would be to trade Kobe for actual assets. Trading him for nothing would be dumb.

no one with actual assets to trade for Kobe would want him. Kobe's huge cap number makes him almost impossible to trade to a contender w/o them gutting the team.

The only team I can imagine wanting Kobe and Kobe also wanting to go to is New York.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15
Jump to: