2015 Dodgers thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: 2015 Dodgers thread

The World Series is over. Time for a new thread. Andrew Friedman is in. Ned is pushed aside. Top of the agenda is fixing the outfield clutter, what to do with Hanley, and bullpen, bullpen, bullpen.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

You forgot to mention the bullpen.

I like Hanley but, his defense sucks and I'm sure he'll want more money. We also need a decent hitting backup catcher.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

I like Hanley but, his defense sucks and I'm sure he'll want more money. We also need a decent hitting backup catcher.

Yeah, I forgot catcher. I'd argue we need a better starting catcher, not a backup. AJ is a great guy but he's not good at pitch-framing, and his once plus ability to get on base has disappeared. He can be the backup.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

So on to 2015 it is. Interesting trade idea. I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G

MLB Trade Rumors: Giancarlo Stanton for Yasiel Puig??

Quote:
Here is the question Law answered on the subject:

AA (Atown)

Back to Puig-Stanton: LA won't mind having to extend him w/ a BIG contract in couple years and Miami wins b/c of the Cuban fanbase plus he's relatively cheap for the long haul assuming he keeps improving. Miami can't afford next Stanton contract anyways...Please get this done, thanks.

Klaw (2:44 PM)

Stanton's a SoCal kid, too, so I imagine that a market-value offer from the Dodgers would appeal to him. All the more reason for the Marlins to ask for more, no?

http://www.faketeams.com/2014/10/26/7073215/mlb-trade-rumors-giancarlo-stanton-for-yasiel-puig

(Not familiar with the site but it appears the "fake" nomenclature is related to the fantasy team phenomena)
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Yeah, I forgot catcher. I'd argue we need a better starting catcher, not a backup. AJ is a great guy but he's not good at pitch-framing, and his once plus ability to get on base has disappeared. He can be the backup.

very true but, he was the best hitter on the team in the playoffs.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

we all know Stanton has power, but he was hitting in a fairly weak NL East. and how was his batting average? i don't want a Dan Ugla (all power, low average) on this team. for Puig, you can expect a high 200, low 300 batting avg along with 18-25 hrs. and his defense is better than Stanton's.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

As for catcher, I wonder if we can give Turner a glove and have him squat his ass behind the plate.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
we all know Stanton has power, but he was hitting in a fairly weak NL East. and how was his batting average? i don't want a Dan Ugla (all power, low average) on this team. for Puig, you can expect a high 200, low 300 batting avg along with 18-25 hrs. and his defense is better than Stanton's.

agreed. I don't think I want to trade for Stanton. Puig's not even close to peaking yet, he's improved defensively and patiently at the plate since last year. He didn't even have a full season last year anyway.
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I would trade Puig for Stanton.Giancarlo is only 1 year older than Puig and has a 271 career Batting average so he is not an all power hitter.Puig is a better outfielder but Stanton can change games with one swing.With Kemp looking like his MVP self again a middle of the lineup with Kemp,Stanton and Gonzalez would be sick.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
As for catcher, I wonder if we can give Turner a glove and have him squat his ass behind the plate.

unless there's a toilet behind that plate, otherwise it won't happen
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

1since71 wrote:
I would trade Puig for Stanton.Giancarlo is only 1 year older than Puig and has a 271 career Batting average so he is not an all power hitter.Puig is a better outfielder but Stanton can change games with one swing.With Kemp looking like his MVP self again a middle of the lineup with Kemp,Stanton and Gonzalez would be sick.

agree if we have a perfect no. 2 hitter like Padroia or a prime Jeter. but we need speed before the big boys coming up. right now we only got Gordon and he's very inconsistent getting on base. if nothing else Puig acts as another lead off hitter but with power.
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1since71 wrote:

agree if we have a perfect no. 2 hitter like Padroia or a prime Jeter. but we need speed before the big boys coming up. right now we only got Gordon and he's very inconsistent getting on base. if nothing else Puig acts as another lead off hitter but with power.

Crawford can bat 2nd.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

1since71 wrote:

I'd do it too. Stanton to me is the best hitter in baseball. He has rare power, and he still knocks in the runs, he isn't just a big swing guy.

Not so much of a headache either, though Puig's defense is superior, and Yasiel's contract is also quite reasonable.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

We definitely need to throw a lot of cash at Russell Martin. He's the best catcher on the market and AJ just doesn't cut it these days. Keep him on as the backup though, and let him be Kershaw's personal catcher.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

big game shields?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
big game shields?

He didn't exactly have post-season success this year either and is on the wrong side of 30. "Big Game James" only really applies to the original
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Russell Martin and a bullpen are the priorities.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think of John Axford for the bullpen? He's pretty good and available.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

No chance with Mattingly at the helm. He will be fired after next season which is at least two years too late.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Hanley's likely gone unless he agrees to play 3B at a discount. Would not be opposed to checking the tires on guys like Chase Headley as a Hanley replacement/stopgap for Seager. Now that the contract for Billingsley's annual paid vacation is over and Beckett's retired, we could use another SP as well.

DuncanIdaho wrote:
We definitely need to throw a lot of cash at Russell Martin. He's the best catcher on the market and AJ just doesn't cut it these days. Keep him on as the backup though, and let him be Kershaw's personal catcher.

And hope Russell acknowledges that it's a whole new ownership/managerial situation from the previous nasty divorce.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What do you guys think of John Axford for the bullpen? He's pretty good and available.

Don't know much about him, but for the last three years:

14-19; 4.24 (92 ERA+); WHIP > 1.47; Inn/SO/BB > 189/221/101; Saves > 45 (35 of which in 2012)

Pass.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Hanley's likely gone unless he agrees to play 3B at a discount. Would not be opposed to checking the tires on guys like Chase Headley as a Hanley replacement/stopgap for Seager. Now that the contract for Billingsley's annual paid vacation is over and Beckett's retired, we could use another SP as well.

DuncanIdaho wrote:

And hope Russell acknowledges that it's a whole new ownership/managerial situation from the previous nasty divorce.

I'm not as keen on Martin as others. I remember his steady decline all too vividly.

There is a reason the Yanks didn't retain him. He was great in 2007 and 2014. I don' t think the Dodgers can wait until 2021. . . .

The Dodgers have talked of getting younger, not older. He will be 32, which for a catcher is starting to get up there, and he's played almost exclusively in the squat. 32 is the last season that Johnny Bench caught and hit more than 20 HRs. 33 was Piazza's last really good year. Yogi Berra showed quite a decline at 32. Even, likely juiced, Rodriguez began his decline at 33.

Comparing 2014 Martin to 2014 Ellis and it's a slam dunk. Comparing 2012 and 2013 Martin to 2012 and 2013 Ellis and its a wash, with Martin having a WAR of 6.0 and Ellis a WAR of 5.7.

It comes down to money and years. Would I prefer Martin? Probably, but if the team is starting to look at costs, would ~$15M for Martin be enough of an upgrade over ~4M for Ellis? And if the team pulls the trigger, are they getting 2014 Martin (not under the spotlight) or 2009 (2010 or 2011 or 2012) Martin (under the spotlight)?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

14-19; 4.24 (92 ERA+); WHIP > 1.47; Inn/SO/BB > 189/221/101; Saves > 45 (35 of which in 2012)

Pass.

Andrew Miller, a lefty, looks like a much better option, though he will cost.

9-9; 2.57 (dropping every season) (1.58 ERA+); WHIP > 1.05; Inn/SO/BB > 133.1/202/54
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Pass.

Ignore the idiot troll. This is a bored twink who calls the Commissioner's trophy a cup and "roots" for the Giants or anyone playing against the Dodgers. Things must be very lonely for him in Ithaca with no friends.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I'm not as keen on Martin as others. I remember his steady decline all too vividly.

There is a reason the Yanks didn't retain him. He was great in 2007 and 2014. I don' t think the Dodgers can wait until 2021. . . .

The Dodgers have talked of getting younger, not older. He will be 32, which for a catcher is starting to get up there, and he's played almost exclusively in the squat. 32 is the last season that Johnny Bench caught and hit more than 20 HRs. 33 was Piazza's last really good year. Yogi Berra showed quite a decline at 32. Even, likely juiced, Rodriguez began his decline at 33.

Comparing 2014 Martin to 2014 Ellis and it's a slam dunk. Comparing 2012 and 2013 Martin to 2012 and 2013 Ellis and its a wash, with Martin having a WAR of 6.0 and Ellis a WAR of 5.7.

It comes down to money and years. Would I prefer Martin? Probably, but if the team is starting to look at costs, would ~$15M for Martin be enough of an upgrade over ~4M for Ellis? And if the team pulls the trigger, are they getting 2014 Martin (not under the spotlight) or 2009 (2010 or 2011 or 2012) Martin (under the spotlight)?

I remember it as well but I felt it was due more towards contract concerns, general state of the teams, and injuries. I think he's adjusted his approach since the struggles and it's apparent. The Dodgers are thinking younger but plain and simple, there are no palatable options out there especially since most of the FA C's are either no talents or way older than Russell.

Yankees didn't retain him because they felt they had younger options waiting in the wings in Cervelli and Romine. Pirates were more than happy to snap him up and they reaped the benefits.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 1 of 273
Jump to: