View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Thank you for that wisdom. He is an offensive upgrade and may be an over-all upgrade. But he is a .167 catcher who hit .225 last year, .216 the year before, and is not known for his defense or his arm. He just isn't anything special or even close.

ok. so he's obviously an offensive upgrade, and he's at least as good as a.j. defensively (inb4 you bring up skewed stats once again to make a point). no one said he was anything special, but he's an overall upgrade.

he was traded for Kemp which was lopsided but we were able to afford to get rid of an outfielder, and thus far, it hasn't hurt us at all. we're hitting for more power this year then when we had our 2 hr hitters in the lineup. I fail to see why having grandal as our catcher annoys you so much.

Well, since you don't like caught-stealing percentage or Rtot (zone fielding runs average), or zone rating, or fielding percentage, or catching ERA or passed balls, perhaps you could tell me what I should consider.

All of which that were likely used by the current FO to even think about trading for Grandal.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Can we fire Mattingly yet? Dude is the worst manager i have seen. No idea why he took Alex Guerrero out, dude was 2-3, but naw, lets bring in Rollins who is batting .200 and move Turner to 3rd!

The concept is, when you have a lead, you want your best defensive players on the field. I'm guessing the Dodgers believe Turner is better at third considering that only last year Guerrero was considered incapable of playing any of the infield positions at a major league level, less possibly 1st. Later in the game even Turner was replaced, as Uribe is an excellent defensive third basemen.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Thank you for that wisdom. He is an offensive upgrade and may be an over-all upgrade. But he is a .167 catcher who hit .225 last year, .216 the year before, and is not known for his defense or his arm. He just isn't anything special or even close.

ok. so he's obviously an offensive upgrade, and he's at least as good as a.j. defensively (inb4 you bring up skewed stats once again to make a point). no one said he was anything special, but he's an overall upgrade.

he was traded for Kemp which was lopsided but we were able to afford to get rid of an outfielder, and thus far, it hasn't hurt us at all. we're hitting for more power this year then when we had our 2 hr hitters in the lineup. I fail to see why having grandal as our catcher annoys you so much.

Well, since you don't like caught-stealing percentage or Rtot (zone fielding runs average), or zone rating, or fielding percentage, or catching ERA or passed balls, perhaps you could tell me what I should consider.

All of which that were likely used by the current FO to even think about trading for Grandal.

Which is a bit of a head-scratcher. HanRan was not re-signed as he was a defensive liability. So, in comes Rollins, clearly the better defender. But despite this, Rollins, over the past few seasons, had a much lower WAR. So the Dodgers, going with traditional wisdom, want to be strong up the middle, despite giving up much offense. Then they trade for the Padres back-up catcher--who wasn't backing up Johnny Bench but Rene Rivera, average at best--a guy who weakens the team up the middle and whose defense is sub par with a -9 zone runs below average and a 13% caught stealing percentage last year. In fact, he's below Piazza defensively. I didn't get his appeal when the team got him and I still don't. He didn't hit in spring training, last year, the year before that, or so far this year.

People want to talk about how well the team is hitting, and that doesn't escape me, but outside of Kendricks, the one acquisition I really liked, it is not because of the new additions.

(And I'm just a bit PO'd at having to watch the last two debacles and having to re-watch them all night long with the jubilation of the NorCal broadcasters.)
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, I think the FO felt pressure to make a deal after the failed Ethier trade ( , (bleep) Diamondbacks) and decided they had to cut the logjam in the OF and sell-high.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

This team stinks on the road. 1-5 won't cut it.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Blame Mattingly all you want but our bats had plenty of opportunities and consistently failed each time. Agon failed twice to drive in runs in the clutch.

Face it, we laid a giant (no pun intended) egg this series offensively. Hope we can find our offense in San Diego and then give the Giants a dose of their own medicine next week at Chavez Ravine.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Which is a bit of a head-scratcher. HanRan was not re-signed as he was a defensive liability. So, in comes Rollins, clearly the better defender. But despite this, Rollins, over the past few seasons, had a much lower WAR. So the Dodgers, going with traditional wisdom, want to be strong up the middle, despite giving up much offense. Then they trade for the Padres back-up catcher--who wasn't backing up Johnny Bench but Rene Rivera, average at best--a guy who weakens the team up the middle and whose defense is sub par with a -9 zone runs below average and a 13% caught stealing percentage last year. In fact, he's below Piazza defensively. I didn't get his appeal when the team got him and I still don't. He didn't hit in spring training, last year, the year before that, or so far this year.

People want to talk about how well the team is hitting, and that doesn't escape me, but outside of Kendricks, the one acquisition I really liked, it is not because of the new additions.

(And I'm just a bit PO'd at having to watch the last two debacles and having to re-watch them all night long with the jubilation of the NorCal broadcasters.)

Not to mention whatever power he has is directly tied to his PEDs use, which he can't use anymore. He was barely passable when he was roided up and now he's just awful. He beats out Ellis by default but that's like saying dog (bleep) is better than horse (bleep). And in terms of his specialty, he's pretty much outside or barely in the top 10 (failed acquisition Montero is always just above him).

You're right about the hitting. Kendrick's the only new add amongst our top players in offense. The rest is AGone and the youngsters (Guerrero, Pederson, Puig), each of whom were our guys before this new FO came in (and also acquired during Colletti/Logan White's tenure).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This team stinks on the road. 1-5 won't cut it.

We were a pretty good road team last year. I guess it's better to stink it up elsewhere and let the home fans celebrate a bit more.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject:

I hate the Giants so much.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Can we fire Mattingly yet? Dude is the worst manager i have seen. No idea why he took Alex Guerrero out, dude was 2-3, but naw, lets bring in Rollins who is batting .200 and move Turner to 3rd!

He is terrible and should have been fired two years ago.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I once did but no more. My daughter lives in SF and I love "The City." Still, sometimes, and that would be yesterday and the day prior, when they beat the Dodgers the way they did, as though it was meant to be, it is maddening.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I once did but no more. My daughter lives in SF and I love "The City." Still, sometimes, and that would be yesterday and the day prior, when they beat the Dodgers the way they did, as though it was meant to be, it is maddening.

Your Dodger fan club card. Turn it in.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

and your avatar.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

and your avatar.

Maaaaan . . .

How about if I clarify that I certainly don't root for the Giants, even against the American League. I even liked the Angels the one year they defeated the Giants.

I really like that avatar.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

and your avatar.

Maaaaan . . .

How about if I clarify that I certainly don't root for the Giants, even against the American League. I even liked the Angels the one year they defeated the Giants.

The penalty for treason can be steep. Your new avatar.

That said, I will give props to their GM for making the kinds of moves I'd make.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

DAT PITCH FRAMING THO
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

and your avatar.

Maaaaan . . .

You have to have a deep hate for the Giants just like the Celtics. You love your daughter every other day except when they play the Giants. And I will forever respect the Angels for doing us a solid back in 02.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Not to mention whatever power he has is directly tied to his PEDs use, which he can't use anymore. He was barely passable when he was roided up and now he's just awful. He beats out Ellis by default but that's like saying dog (bleep) is better than horse (bleep). And in terms of his specialty, he's pretty much outside or barely in the top 10 (failed acquisition Montero is always just above him).

You're right about the hitting. Kendrick's the only new add amongst our top players in offense. The rest is AGone and the youngsters (Guerrero, Pederson, Puig), each of whom were our guys before this new FO came in (and also acquired during Colletti/Logan White's tenure).

Trading Matt Kemp clears room for Joc though. McCarthy has been pretty good. The bullpen has been good outside of Howell who was not acquired by this front office. There are only 8 starting position players and the FO has only been in charge for 6 months. How many changes do you expect them to make when considering the talent already there? They've upgraded at 2nd base. Perhaps it's minimal but they've upgraded at catcher. On offense Kemp might be better offensively than Joc but when considering defense, age, & money, making room for Joc is the better move. I'm going to give Rollins some time but even if he doesn't pan out, I understand the move. Our top prospect plays ss and he will be ready in year. Rollins is here for a year, that's all. The rest of the baseball world thinks we have the smartest guys in baseball running the team. I have faith in them.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Crawford is washed up. 12 games. Batting .211. 0 hr's and 1 rbi. What a waste of money.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Crawford is washed up. 12 games. Batting .211. 0 hr's and 1 rbi. What a waste of money.

He got us AGon, so it was worth it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Can we hit a (bleep) home run with someone on base for once?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
32 wrote:

Yeah I look at that entire transaction as us just trying to get A-Gon, and he's made it worth it, that's for sure.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:

Trading Matt Kemp clears room for Joc though. McCarthy has been pretty good. The bullpen has been good outside of Howell who was not acquired by this front office. There are only 8 starting position players and the FO has only been in charge for 6 months. How many changes do you expect them to make when considering the talent already there? They've upgraded at 2nd base. Perhaps it's minimal but they've upgraded at catcher. On offense Kemp might be better offensively than Joc but when considering defense, age, & money, making room for Joc is the better move. I'm going to give Rollins some time but even if he doesn't pan out, I understand the move. Our top prospect plays ss and he will be ready in year. Rollins is here for a year, that's all. The rest of the baseball world thinks we have the smartest guys in baseball running the team. I have faith in them.

Seeing as Kemp isn't playing center for the Madres, he could've easily filled in at a corner outfield spot and we'd have a better offensive output than Ethier/Crawford, and mitigated Kemp's defensive liabilities putting him in a corner. I applaud them for getting the Ethier-Montero trade nearly completed, which would've given us a monster team with an even better catcher, but the Kemp trade was knee-jerk and unnecessary. Could've waited and fielded different offers.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
srm90 wrote:
32 wrote:

Yeah I look at that entire transaction as us just trying to get A-Gon, and he's made it worth it, that's for sure.

Also got us what little was left of Josh Beckett, who played decently when he wasn't injured.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

Looks like the Dodgers have a new ace and a new closer, at least for the time being. Yimi finally got the chance and his first save last night. 16 SO's in 9 2/3 inn, .93 ERA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 49 of 273
Jump to: