2015 Dodgers thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 271, 272, 273  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Might as will start penciling Kershaw starts as automatic losses considering our offense refuses to ever provide him with any run support
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

What a terrible loss last night. At home with Kershaw against a pathetic Mets team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

Giants lost again.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Giants lost again.

They weren't built to be a regular season team and it's showing.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers are in first place despite playing at maybe 60% of the level they could and should be at.

Not a fan of Donnie Baseball at all.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Dodgers are in first place despite playing at maybe 60% of the level they could and should be at.

Not a fan of Donnie Baseball at all.

It helps that the Madres are playing at 25% and the Giants are playing at 80%.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Bull pen is trying to choke this game away. smh
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

4 game lead in the division.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Serious question: Is Greinke the best pitcher on the Dodgers at this point?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Hard to argue with that. He's performing the best at least. But Kershaw was due a down year. You can't go 3 for 4 in Cy Young (should have been 4-4 imo). and not have a down year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Hard to argue with that. He's performing the best at least. But Kershaw was due a down year. You can't go 3 for 4 in Cy Young (should have been 4-4 imo). and not have a down year.

Is it wear and tear on his arm, or just psychological?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Is it wear and tear on his arm, or just psychological?

Can't really say but just based on historical precedence for him to have kept up that pace for that long is exceptional. Take a look at some of the best pitchers...they're great pitchers but they're Cy Young caliber for maybe a year or two in a row. Off year here or there, resurgence. No one is that good that long.

Just a few of the games best for the last 5 years (or less, just taking full seasons):

David Price ERA: 2.72, 3.5, 2.56, 3.33, 3.26, 2.62

Verlander ERA: 3.37, 2.4, 2.64, 3.46, 4.54, 5.09

Chris Sale ERA: 3.05, 3.07, 2.17, 2.87

Kershaw ERA: 2.91, 2.28, 2.53, 1.83, 1.77, 3.08

He's still good as hell but the standard for him is different than for anyone in the league. For what it's worth though, Greinke's ERA+ is better than Kershaw's last year. It's jaw-dropping. He's currently 11th all time single season. Guys in front of him are the likes of Pedro, Walter Johnson, Maddux etc. All time, stupid good pitchers. Only 3 pitchers ahead of him are in the modern era. The other guys pitched over 100 years ago.

He really needs to ring up more wins. Batters need to come through because if he doesn't win the Cy Young and he keeps up this pace, it's downright criminal. It's a crying shame he's not getting the love right now.
LakerGang5
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

this year, yes.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Of course a rookie pitcher would shut us out while Bolsinger falls back down to earth.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I posted this a couple of pages back but no, the answer is Kershaw is still the best on staff.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=22&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

His advanced stats show he's still the best and I don't think there's really any question. Once his HR/FB% gets back to his historical normal levels you'll see that ERA drop like a rock.

He generally averages between 6-8%, but this year so far it's 16.2%.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
C: Salvador Perez, Royals
1B: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
2B: Jose Altuve, Astros
3B: Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays
SS: Alcides Escobar, Royals
OF: Mike Trout, Angels
OF: Lorenzo Cain, Royals
OF: Alex Gordon, Royals
DH: Nelson Cruz, Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE
C: Buster Posey, Giants
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs
2B: Dee Gordon, Marlins
3B: Todd Frazier, Reds
SS: Jhonny Peralta, Cardinals
OF: Bryce Harper, Nationals
OF: Matt Holliday, Cardinals
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Quote:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
C: Salvador Perez, Royals
1B: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
2B: Jose Altuve, Astros
3B: Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays
SS: Alcides Escobar, Royals
OF: Mike Trout, Angels
OF: Lorenzo Cain, Royals
OF: Alex Gordon, Royals
DH: Nelson Cruz, Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE
C: Buster Posey, Giants
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs
2B: Dee Gordon, Marlins
3B: Todd Frazier, Reds
SS: Jhonny Peralta, Cardinals
OF: Bryce Harper, Nationals
OF: Matt Holliday, Cardinals
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins

A-hole fans from the state of Missouri stuffing the ballot.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I posted this a couple of pages back but no, the answer is Kershaw is still the best on staff.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=22&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

His advanced stats show he's still the best and I don't think there's really any question. Once his HR/FB% gets back to his historical normal levels you'll see that ERA drop like a rock.

I guarantee you, GUARANTEE, if one pitcher is chosen from the Dodgers to be an All Star, it will be Greinke--without a doubt, unequivocally.

I will always take the guy with an ERA that is half of another guy on the same team.

As for WAR, still too much of a black box to take too seriously, Baseball-Ref has Greinke at 4.8 and Kersh at 1.7. This comports better than FanGraph's WAR to my thinking.

Last edited by ribeye on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I guarantee you, GUARANTEE, if one pitcher is chosen from the Dodgers to be an All Star, it will be Greinke--without a doubt, unequivocally.

I will always take the guy with an ERA that is half of another guy on the same team.

You may be right, but ERA is such an outdated way of looking at things. Take a look at their FIP, xFIP, K/9 and BABIP.

If I had to make a prediction, Kershaw's FB/HR% will come back down, Greinke will start getting unlucky and Kershaw will end the season with the better traditional stats.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

ERA, for two players on the same team, outdated?

Nope.

If they were on different teams, or different eras, I much prefer ERA+, but not here. Also note my edit that includes WAR. I don't care for FIP. I've watched Kersh groove too many this year that were clobbered to know better, for him anyway.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Nope.

If they were on different teams, or different eras, I much prefer ERA+, but not here. Also note my edit that includes WAR. I don't care for FIP. I've watched Kersh groove too many this year that were clobbered to know better, for him anyway.

ERA is outdated because it takes into account things outside of the pitcher's control. It's not a good comparison metric, just like RBI is not a good comparison metric for hitters.

And FIP is good for comparison because of what those letters stand for -- fielding independent pitching.

Also, yeah I made a note about the homers. Kersh's HR/FB% is much higher than his career average this year (currently 16.2% vs. a career of 6-8). That's going to go down.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Nope.

ERA is outdated because it takes into account things outside of the pitcher's control. It's not a good comparison metric, just like RBI is not a good comparison metric for hitters.

And FIP is good for comparison because of what those letters stand for -- fielding independent pitching.

Also, yeah I made a note about that. Kersh's HR/FB% is 10% higher than his career average this year. That's going to go down.

Fielding independent balls don't take into account how hard the balls in play are hit or when they are hit. A two out ball to the gap with bases empty has a FIP value. A two out ball with the bases jammed would have the same FIP value, but a much different ERA value.

I'm a huge fan of Kershaw, but just because his FIP is 5th (make that now 6th) in all of baseball (BBR), and I find this of interest, I'm not using this for my argument that he is 5th/6th best in the game or even the best on the Dodgers.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Nope.

Also, yeah I made a note about that. Kersh's HR/FB% is 10% higher than his career average this year. That's going to go down.

Fielding independent balls don't take into account how hard the balls in play are hit or when they are hit. A two out ball to the gap with bases empty has a FIP value. A two out ball with the bases jammed would have the same FIP value, but a much different ERA value.

I'm a huge fan of Kershaw, but just because his FIP is 5th (make that now 6th) in all of baseball (BBR), and I find this of interest, I'm not using this for my argument that he is 5th/6th best in the game or even the best on the Dodgers.

Far enough.

We're pretty spoiled as fans that we can even debate Kershaw vs. Greinke. Most teams don't even have one guy as good as either of these.

While you're watching stats, keep an eye on Kersh's FB/HR% and his xFIP. You're going to see his ERA drop like a rock over the next couple of months I think.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Nope.

Far enough.

We're pretty spoiled as fans that we can even debate Kershaw vs. Greinke. Most teams don't even have one guy as good as either of these.

While you're watching stats, keep an eye on Kersh's FB/HR% and his xFIP. You're going to see his ERA drop like a rock over the next couple of months I think.

Not to beat this horse to mush, but compare Kersh and Greinke using only ERA+ vs FIP in the NL.

Greinike is first in ERA+ and Kershaw is 17th

Greinke is 8th in FIP and Kershaw is 2nd.

Which is most reflective?

(And yes, we're spoiled to have a Kershaw, but I bet if we sat down and talked with him, he would not be happy with himself either, as I bet he's also come to expect something akin to his last four seasons.)
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Joc, A-Gon, Grandal make the all-star team. Waiting for pitcher announcements.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 106 of 273
Jump to: