2015 Dodgers thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 271, 272, 273  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I don't understand how a 90 ERA+ can become a 135.

ERA+ adjusts to ballpark. That is why it doesn't veer as far from the norm than does his 4.24 ERA over the same period and why I used ERA+.

He was a completely different pitcher after leaving the DBacks. Check out his Yankees stats.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

ERA+ adjusts to ballpark. That is why it doesn't veer as far from the norm than does his 4.24 ERA over the same period and why I used ERA+.

He was a completely different pitcher after leaving the DBacks. Check out his Yankees stats.

And yet the Yankees, who have one, maybe--Tanaka (and who knows his health)--reliable starter and not much more, yet they let McCarthy go. I find this to be curious.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
If you were going to dump salary, it was Crawford who needed to go. Even if you have to pay a little more and get peanuts in return.

And if you were hell-bent on trading Kemp, why jump at the deal they accepted? What they got was a joke for one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy, and ended the previous season on a great note.

It all reeks of a young GM who got the keys to a ferrari and just wants to go 140-mph. Let's hope the team doesn't crash and burn bc of it.

This team needed a shake up. the last 2 years our hitting with RISP has been pitiful for the kind of hitters that are on this team. Matt was the only player they could really move. Lets face it no one wants CC or Andre. YOu have to pretty much just give them away.

Puig needed to move back to RF because his crazy ass would get hurt in CF. Joc needs to be in CF. We couldnt just keep Joc down in the minors wasting away. Its time for him to come up and produce (i just hope he does).

Its a new era, what we had was NOT working.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Snipes wrote:
No way to really justify the Kemp trade..he was an absolute beast in the second half once he became healthy. Our offence is absolute garbage as is with guys who under produce every year..but now we lost our two most explosive bats in Kemp and Hanley and did marginally nothing to improve. Our infield D Got better..farm got better but we took a huge nose dive offensively and if this is the end game then I'm sorry but I'm giving no credit to Zaidi and Friedman..if this was Coletti his head would be on a stick at the Ravine.

And believe it or not with the way contracts are being handed..kemp's 20mill really wasn't that bad. Ethier and Crawford on the other hand..ugh.

Kemp trade goes either way ... he can perform or he cannot ... Friedman and Zaidi have their own vision for the team and they see it as selling high on Kemp.

Hanley leaving is a smart business move, why would you want to keep a poor defensive SS that is often injured? Sure he's got a great bat but the NL doesn't have a DH spot.

I agree about Hanley..I was with the majority of fans who felt he needed to go. But I also get Hanley leaving meant we weren't going to ship Kemp. You need the threat of big bats especially when your guys are struggling to produce runs every year. With the talent we have I feel we under produce offensively and I inderstand the glut we have in the outfield but to get rid of Kemp was a tough move to swallow. And honestly the only reason i am having a tough time with the move is the return we got which IMO is hot garbage. Yes Zaidi and Friedman have their vision and they're both great baseball minds..but we all feared once they signed on if they'd be able to handle this market and the enormous freedom in terms of salary. I mean it's different when you're used to going to the mall with $20 and you master how to use that budget effectively compared to going in with $2000. Baseball is the one sport where stats are absolute King and we have two of the best guys at what they do but I am scared..because Billy Bean hasn't won anything yet.

Truth be told the only reason why some of us have faith in the Kemp move is because we got MONEYBALL at the helm. If this was a move Ned made....none of us would be justifying the Kemp trade. But I hope I'm wrong and this ends up being as good of a trade as the Dee Gordon move.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

And yet the Yankees, who have one, maybe--Tanaka (and who knows his health)--reliable starter and not much more, yet they let McCarthy go. I find this to be curious.

I think McCarthy is going to put up absolute gem-like numbers playing for the Dodgers. Loved that signing.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
If you were going to dump salary, it was Crawford who needed to go. Even if you have to pay a little more and get peanuts in return.

And if you were hell-bent on trading Kemp, why jump at the deal they accepted? What they got was a joke for one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy, and ended the previous season on a great note.

It all reeks of a young GM who got the keys to a ferrari and just wants to go 140-mph. Let's hope the team doesn't crash and burn bc of it.

This team needed a shake up. the last 2 years our hitting with RISP has been pitiful for the kind of hitters that are on this team. Matt was the only player they could really move. Lets face it no one wants CC or Andre. YOu have to pretty much just give them away.

Puig needed to move back to RF because his crazy ass would get hurt in CF. Joc needs to be in CF. We couldnt just keep Joc down in the minors wasting away. Its time for him to come up and produce (i just hope he does).

Just a thought here. I was going to totally agree with you, even about clutch hitting. Then I remembered how the Dodgers' bats woke up late in the year. So, regarding clutch hitting:

I went to FanGraphs. Yes the Dodgers were the worst team in clutch hitting the first half of the year and Kemp was among the worst in baseball if I recall correctly. But they were 5th best in baseball the second half--about the same time Kemp got hot. HMMMM.

All this speculation is interesting. Which Kemp will be in San Diego? Which Rollins, the one with a 3.9 WAR last year, or the one with a -2 the year before, will the Dodgers see? Did the Phils trade high? Will McCarthy pitch like he did for the Yanks in the American league or like Arizona when he was in the National League? Will Joc, who had a higher K rate in the minors than Kemp (who led the team) did in the majors, improve the team's clutch hitting?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
thejet24 wrote:

Just a thought here. I was going to totally agree with you, even about clutch hitting. Then I remembered how the Dodgers' bats woke up late in the year. So, regarding clutch hitting:

I went to FanGraphs. Yes the Dodgers were the worst team in clutch hitting the first half of the year and Kemp was among the worst in baseball if I recall correctly. But they were 5th best in baseball the second half--about the same time Kemp got hot. HMMMM.

All this speculation is interesting. Which Kemp will be in San Diego? Which Rollins, the one with a 3.9 WAR last year, or the one with a -2 the year before, will the Dodgers see? Did the Phils trade high? Will McCarthy pitch like he did for the Yanks in the American league or like Arizona when he was in the National League? Will Joc, who had a higher K rate in the minors than Kemp (who led the team) did in the majors, improve the team's clutch hitting?

As for Kemp in San Diego, even the 2nd half or even 2011 Kemp will likely not be as good there as the one that propelled us mainly because of the difference in home stadium+abysmal surrounding offensive talent (worst in the majors in most offensive categories).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
thejet24 wrote:

Our bats woke up a little, but but not with RISP and not clutch hitting late in games. If anything it went from a 1 to a 4 on a scale of 10. in the play offs, games 2-4 were pitiful hitting. Kemp his a nice ball that won the game for us in game too, but even then they should have scored WAY More then 6 runs in 3 games.

Rollins is a placeholder for Seager or Guerrero. They will both be at training camp and will have a shot to make the roster. these guys are getting paid big money WEll maybe not Seager yet, but Guerrrero is.

Remember 2 years ago when they said that they wanted to build this organization from their Minor league system. WEll its time for them to be sniffing the Majors and they will get every chance to do that.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Olney tweeted:

Quote:
@Buster_ESPN: The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal with left-hander Brett Anderson, with $4m in possible incentives.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Former Oakland Athletic, of course.

No, but seriously, this looks like a pretty solid deal. It's worth the overpayment if the deal is for 1 year. He is our #5 starter and stopgap until Urias gets here?

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have kemp traded now than see him get injured running to second.

then get injured during the rehabilitation of aforementioned injury.

then get injured on his way to first after making a comeback from aforementioned injury.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

If Zaidi wanted ex-Oakland A pitchers with injury histories, he could've kept Haren.

But the concerning thing is, will this impact a pursuit of Hamels. If this rotation is set, then the Kemp trade becomes even more horrendous.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I think the momentum toward a Hamels trade has all but withered away. If you were going to make a trade with Philly, why deal Heaney to the Angels?

Given Anderson's injury history, I wonder if he's just an expensive bullpen piece?

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:

No new updates? Zzzz.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
If Zaidi wanted ex-Oakland A pitchers with injury histories, he could've kept Haren.

But the concerning thing is, will this impact a pursuit of Hamels. If this rotation is set, then the Kemp trade becomes even more horrendous.

Yes, I don't see a Hamels. The surplus is now gone, so there is nothing left except the big three or Puig.

Also yes, the two guys at the back of the rotation are injury prone, and should be a concern. The Dodgers don't have, like last year or the year prior, a Haren or Maholm waiting in the wings if Billz would not be ready or if someone else got hurt. Billz continued to have set-backs and never was ready, Beckett got hurt and then Maholm. Starting with seven, they ended with four--actually three as Ryu was hurt. The year before, after Billz, who only pitched in two games, they had Beckett (5) Capuano, (6) Lilly (7) Fife (8) Nolasco (9) (though acquired later) and Magill (10). Any of those guys, with the possible exception of Magill are capable of being a (5) or, at least, a long reliever/spot starter, meaning the Dodgers started the season with eight capable starters.

Outside of Urias, who almost certainly will not likely be ready, the team really has no great pitching prospects, nor a double or triple A guy who is competent to join a rotation in the Bigs for a team thought to be a real playoff contender. If Lee (who really regressed last year) or Reed (whose second half was beyond disappointing) were ready, they would have been called up last year when the team needed a fifth starter. Wieland and Bolsinger are long shots. These might be thought to be the 6-9 starters on the team. Scary.

Yes, the Dodgers can add someone during the season, but they will need to have someone to give up.

We can only hope that moving out of the bandbox in Albuquerque, to Oaklahoma City, will give the pitchers more confidence and allow them to develop properly.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Brian Wilson dfa

Wow.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

Question for Dodgers' fans and sports' buffs:

Who would you rather have as a corner outfielder, Hanley Ramirez or Matt Kemp?
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

ship sailed, no one!

Time for a new beginning with the Dodgers.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Brian Wilson dfa

Wow.

Fan favorites and bounce-back potential be damned with this FO. Definitely reminds me of DePodesta.

Next up, Clayton Kershaw to the A's for Scott Kazmir and 3 unknowns. Yasiel Puig to the Red Sox for Rusney Castillo + 3 prospects. Adrian Gonzalez to Tampa Bay for Brandon Guyer + 2 prospects.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Depends on if Hanley can learn the new position well enough. I'd rather go with Kemp simply for his experience and hope that he's fully healed enough to at least come within reasonable distance of his Gold Glove former self.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Brian Wilson dfa

Wow.

Fan favorites and bounce-back potential be damned with this FO. Definitely reminds me of DePodesta.

Next up, Clayton Kershaw to the A's for Scott Kazmir and 3 unknowns. Yasiel Puig to the Red Sox for Rusney Castillo + 3 prospects. Adrian Gonzalez to Tampa Bay for Brandon Guyer + 2 prospects.

This is a bit much with the negativity. Fan favorite? He was booed off the mound on multiple occasions last year. Kemp is obviously more of a fan favorite but he was booed last year too. People were hoping Donnie would put Turner in for Dee in the playoffs.

Wilson was beyond awful last year and he's overpaid. The move makes sense.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Yes, I don't see a Hamels. The surplus is now gone, so there is nothing left except the big three or Puig.

Also yes, the two guys at the back of the rotation are injury prone, and should be a concern. The Dodgers don't have, like last year or the year prior, a Haren or Maholm waiting in the wings if Billz would not be ready or if someone else got hurt. Billz continued to have set-backs and never was ready, Beckett got hurt and then Maholm. Starting with seven, they ended with four--actually three as Ryu was hurt. The year before, after Billz, who only pitched in two games, they had Beckett (5) Capuano, (6) Lilly (7) Fife (8) Nolasco (9) (though acquired later) and Magill (10). Any of those guys, with the possible exception of Magill are capable of being a (5) or, at least, a long reliever/spot starter, meaning the Dodgers started the season with eight capable starters.

Outside of Urias, who almost certainly will not likely be ready, the team really has no great pitching prospects, nor a double or triple A guy who is competent to join a rotation in the Bigs for a team thought to be a real playoff contender. If Lee (who really regressed last year) or Reed (whose second half was beyond disappointing) were ready, they would have been called up last year when the team needed a fifth starter. Wieland and Bolsinger are long shots. These might be thought to be the 6-9 starters on the team. Scary.

Yes, the Dodgers can add someone during the season, but they will need to have someone to give up.

We can only hope that moving out of the bandbox in Albuquerque, to Oaklahoma City, will give the pitchers more confidence and allow them to develop properly.

Completely agree. There are plenty of serviceable journeymen to start but is that really what we want to resort to when injury comes? Especially come October? And I say when, not if, because with this team, or most teams for that matter, it's a near certainty. I've been getting concerned that we struck out on Hamels and Anderson was the fallback plan. It's hard to make Billingsley look like Iron Man, but this guy probably does.

And I'm very scared for our offense. Post-PED's ban Grandal does not come close to replacing either Kemp or Hanley, no matter what some blog writer speculates using prior stats. I have high hopes for Seager, Guerrero, and Pederson, but there's a lot of risk and uncertainty. Kershaw's playing at legendary status but we can't afford to keep squandering his prime years. We already had a scare with him this year.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

The DePodesta comparisons don't really fit either. Depo was brought in to cut payroll by a cheap owner. Even with all these moves, once the pitcher signings have been finalized, the team will have raised the league high payroll even higher. Also, Paul DePodesta was unproven as the man. Friedman led a team to the world series as the head of the front office.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Brian Wilson dfa

Wow.

This is a bit much with the negativity. Fan favorite? He was booed off the mound on multiple occasions last year. Kemp is obviously more of a fan favorite but he was booed last year too. People were hoping Donnie would put Turner in for Dee in the playoffs.

The entire bullpen was awful yet most are still here. If anyone was primed for a bounceback year, it would've been Wilson, who was fighting an injury bug. Plus, you don't get voted for a bobblehead if the fans don't like you.

Doubtful Kemp was beeing booed in that 2nd half and with the changes in his swing, certainly looked like the Kemp of the past. I don't put much in the scattered booing. Even Kershaw was booed at the Mother's Day game that I went to.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Brian Wilson dfa

Wow.

The entire bullpen was awful yet most are still here. If anyone was primed for a bounceback year, it would've been Wilson, who was fighting an injury bug. Plus, you don't get voted for a bobblehead if the fans don't like you.

Doubtful Kemp was beeing booed in that 2nd half and with the changes in his swing, certainly looked like the Kemp of the past. I don't put much in the scattered booing. Even Kershaw was booed at the Mother's Day game that I went to.

No one liked Wilson last year. He was awful. I get the reaction to the Kemp trade, but complaining about Wilson being let go is ridiculous. He was not good and his contract prevented us from being up young arms up to the majors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 15 of 273
Jump to: