2015 Dodgers thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 271, 272, 273  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Did players let slip Clayton Kershaw to start playoff opener?

Catcher A.J. Ellis was talking about Kershaw’s work ethic and strict routine between starts Sunday when he said:

“We were already joking around, talking today about how everyone gets an off day (Monday) and he has to come in and work out. He knows it’s part of his job and part of his routine. He’ll be here running the foul pole to foul pole and lifting weights in the weight room and getting ready for a Friday start.”

And then there was shortstop Jimmy Rollins, Sunday’s acting manager, discussing his interaction with Kershaw when he went to the mound to take him out of the game:

“When I went to go get him, he was still asking me, 'Can I just get this one more hitter out?' And I said, 'No, Clayton, you’re done. Get ready for Friday. We have another game. You’re done.' He gave me a little punch in the chest before he walked off the mound and we’ve been good ever since.”

Seems like the players know who will be on the mound Friday.

LA TIMES
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

I honestly believe we can win it all this year. The Mets are a good pitching team, but I think on our day we have the bats to get runs from any of their guys, I don't think they have the offense to beat Greinke & Kershaw.

Question I have though about playoffs in general. If you roll with 3 starters (Greinke, Kershaw, Anderson) like we probably will, can you use the other 2 usual starters from your 5 man rotation as relief pitchers now? So say use Wood or Bolsinger in relief?

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I honestly believe we can win it all this year. The Mets are a good pitching team, but I think on our day we have the bats to get runs from any of their guys, I don't think they have the offense to beat Greinke & Kershaw.

Question I have though about playoffs in general. If you roll with 3 starters (Greinke, Kershaw, Anderson) like we probably will, can you use the other 2 usual starters from your 5 man rotation as relief pitchers now? So say use Wood or Bolsinger in relief?

I doubt Bolsinger will be on the playoff roster, but yes, one of Wood or Anderson could become a long reliever. If the team wants to give normal rest to Greinke and Kershaw, it will need a fourth starter in a seven game series.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Wood is very good at Dodger stadium. Not as good on the road.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

Potential schedule with red indicating Game 1 pitcher with normal rest.

Oct

09 Gm 1

10 Gm 2
11 off
12 Gm 3
13 Gm 4 (off)
14 off
15 Gm 5 (off)
16 off
17 Gm 1
18 Gm 2
19 off
20 Gm 3
21 Gm 4
22 Gm 5 (off)
23 off
24 Gm 6 (off)
25 Gm 7 (off)
26 off
27 Gm 1
28 Gm 2
29 off
30 Gm 3
31 Gm 4
N1 Gm 5 (off)
N2 off
N3 Gm 6 (off)
N4 Gm 7 (off)

Here seems to be a logical use of a rotation if every series goes max.
Starter 1/Starter 2/Starter 3/Starter 4
Oct

09 Gm 1

10 Gm 2
11 off
12 Gm 3
13 Gm 4 (off)
14 off
15 Gm 5(off)
16 off
17 Gm 1
18 Gm 2
19 off
20 Gm 3
21 Gm 4
22 Gm 5 (off)
23 off
24 Gm 6 (off)
25 Gm 7 (off)
26 off
27 Gm 1
28 Gm 2
29 off
30 Gm 3
31 Gm 4
N1 Gm 5 (off)
N2 off
N3 Gm 6 (off)
N4 Gm 7 (off)

This moves Starter 1 up twice yet a 4th starter is needed twice.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

If Kershaw pitches game 1 he will be on 4 days rest. Is that normal for him? And if Grienke pitches game 2 he will on 6 days rest. What is his normal days off in between starts for Grienke? 5?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

My argument against Harper for MVP--Hank Aaron award, yes by a landslide, MVP no.

In 2014 the Nats won 96 games. In 2015, the won 83 or they had 13 less wins. More important, they were 7 games out. Now, of course, this can't be blamed on Harper, but if we assume WAR is somewhat accurate, he had a WAR of 9.9, or say, 10 wins. If you subtract 10 wins from the Nats, they finish in exactly the same place in the standings as they did finish, or second. He helped a second place team finish second.

Also, take away Greinke's 9.3 WAR, say 9 wins, and the Dodgers come in second and don't make the playoffs. Take away Arieta's 8.6 WAR, say 9 wins, and they still make the playoffs as the WC second seed.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
If Kershaw pitches game 1 he will be on 4 days rest. Is that normal for him? And if Grienke pitches game 2 he will on 6 days rest. What is his normal days off in between starts for Grienke? 5?

They both normally had 4 days off or more. Clayton pitched one more game when Greinke was scratched in his next to last start.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
32 wrote:

They both normally had 4 days off or more. Clayton pitched one more game when Greinke was scratched in his next to last start.

How many times this season did Kersh pitch on 4 days rest and what was his record with 4 days off?

Same with Grienke. How many times this season did he pitch on 6 days rest?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

Depends if we can count on our bats....our hitting hasn't been great in the playoffs which is why we haven't gotten far. I think the one year that we had reliable bats, some fat reliever gave up a bunch of runs at Dodger Stadium....I won't call him out but his last name starts with a B.....
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
32 wrote:

How many times this season did Kersh pitch on 4 days rest and what was his record with 4 days off?

Same with Grienke. How many times this season did he pitch on 6 days rest?

Kersh 4/5/6+ days rest > 18/12/3 starts
Greinke 4/5/6+ day rest > 16/12/4 starts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

After the team celebrated the division title a bunch of players made comments that they were very confident this is the year.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
After the team celebrated the division title a bunch of players made comments that they were very confident this is the year.

I was more confident last year seeing as we now have an ailing AGone, either a whiffer in Joc or another youngster in Kike trying to replace the offense of a 2nd half stud in Kemp, and no dependable #3 pitcher. But I guess with Cardinals ailing and an easier 1st round opponent, there's a chance.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Depends if we can count on our bats....our hitting hasn't been great in the playoffs which is why we haven't gotten far. I think the one year that we had reliable bats, some fat reliever gave up a bunch of runs at Dodger Stadium....I won't call him out but his last name starts with a B.....

"...Stairs rips one into the night"

We had bats those 2 years. It's just that our pitching didn't even compare to what we have now. We had Derek Lowe and Chad Billingsley as our no.1 and 2.

Maybe we can return the favor if we meet the Cards?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I always liked Aaron Boone, Doug Glanville, Christina Kahrl, and Doug Padilla

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2015/story/_/page/playoffs15_expertpredictions/espn-experts-make-their-predictions-mlb-playoffs
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The #Dodgers NLDS starters for first three games:
Game 1 Friday: Clayton Kershaw
Game 2 Saturday: Zack Greinke
Game 3 Monday: Brett Anderson

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/651538832509247488
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
The #Dodgers NLDS starters for first three games:
Game 1 Friday: Clayton Kershaw
Game 2 Saturday: Zack Greinke
Game 3 Monday: Brett Anderson

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/651538832509247488

Game 1 Hope Kershaw doesn't have postseason jitters again and the bullpen keeps his slim lead that our inept offense is sure to give him
Game 2 Hope Greinke stays dominant
Game 3 Hope we score 9 runs and Anderson doesn't choose now to have his annual DL stint.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject:

^Personally I think Kershaw's issues had more to do with facing the Cardinals and occasionally going on short rest than him being afraid of the big moment. If he struggles against other teams in the playoffs then I'd be more convinced. I thought he was a huge help in the series against the Braves two years ago.

If Kershaw looks bad in this series then his critics will have much better ammunition to use against him IMO.

32 wrote:

Isn't 4 days rest normal for pitchers? I wouldn't worry much about it unless it's 3 days rest. And Kershaw was pulled really early in his last start.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

I think picking Kershaw for the opener can be construed as slighting Greinke. Both pitchers should pitch the same number of games so I don't see a strategic value to the decision. When Greinke is almost certainly going to become a free agent, the Dodgers are proving to him that he is the #2 guy and not a co-#1 as he proved to be this year. It's a little thing but little things add up.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I think picking Kershaw for the opener can be construed as slighting Greinke. Both pitchers should pitch the same number of games so I don't see a strategic value to the decision. When Greinke is almost certainly going to become a free agent, the Dodgers are proving to him that he is the #2 guy and not a co-#1 as he proved to be this year. It's a little thing but little things add up.

I just took it as giving him an extra day to rest. He's older than Kershaw and has the mileage to show it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I just took it as giving him an extra day to rest. He's older than Kershaw and has the mileage to show it.

That is a fair point. Add to that his sore calf and maybe they can convince him as well.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

I do wonder what would happen if Kershaw won the Cy Young. On the one hand, Greinke is the most sabremetric, savvy pitcher in the game - if anyone could appreciate the case for Kershaw, it's his hyper intelligent teammate. On the other hand, it sure would blow to lose after throwing a 1.66 ERA to your younger, homegrown, clear fan-favorite teammate.

I don't think there is anything there, but it's kind of funny to think about (until he leaves us, of course )
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

typical Don Mattingly move on the starting rotation. just play safe, go by the book, without any imagination. what if we lose 1 of the first 2 games (or both games, god forbid) with Kershaw and Greinke pitching, then what? hope to have Brett Anderson save our season on the road? if it was me, i'd go with:

game 1: Grienke (or Kershaw)

game 2: Alex Wood (he's been good at home, more importantly, we know we will have either Grienke or Kershaw available in game 3, kind of like play with house money)

game 3 Kershaw (or Grienke)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
typical Don Mattingly move on the starting rotation. just play safe, go by the book, without any imagination. what if we lose 1 of the first 2 games (or both games, god forbid) with Kershaw and Greinke pitching, then what? hope to have Brett Anderson save our season on the road? if it was me, i'd go with:

game 1: Grienke (or Kershaw)

game 2: Alex Wood (he's been good at home, more importantly, we know we will have either Grienke or Kershaw available in game 3, kind of like play with house money)

game 3 Kershaw (or Grienke)

The problem with this, it could require more three-day-rest-starts, pushing one of the two back--I showed a possible scenario yesterday of how this could work. It is interesting thinking though, especially when the team might have back-to-back starts from their 3 and 4 guys, which could tax the bully.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

this penciling in starters is stupid, can Dodgers tell both Wood and Greinke be ready for game 2 depending on outcome of game 1? if we win game 1, Wood starts game 2, if we lose, Greinke will start. can a team do that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 189 of 273
Jump to: