kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Michlake wrote:
1. Kemp is out of his prime and a horrible defender. Ramirez is the same.

2. We already have the best 1-2 in baseball.

3. Both the bullpen and back end of the rotation have improved. Especially the back end.

the problem we've been having the past two postseasons were lack of offense. we haven't addressed that yet.

What?!?! Kendrick and Rollins may not have the power numbers but sure make up by getting on base and being good contact hitters. Factor in their defensive upgrades and it's a slight net positive for the team as a whole.

Right. The defensive upgrades are not being mentioned enough. Also, the reason we lost last postseason was the bullpen. We've improved there, not made lateral moves. Literally every guy outside of Kenley was giving people heart attacks in October. Even if we haven't gotten big name set up men (if such a thing exists), there's been improvement.

Outside of game 1, we averaged 2 runs per game in the final 3 of the post season. I wont ever (bleep) about the bullpen when you average 2 runs a game. Thats as pathetic as it gets, asking the bullpen to save that kind of production is insane.

Offense was the reason why we lost 2 of the 3 to eliminate us.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Michlake wrote:

3. Both the bullpen and back end of the rotation have improved. Especially the back end.

the problem we've been having the past two postseasons were lack of offense. we haven't addressed that yet.

What?!?! Kendrick and Rollins may not have the power numbers but sure make up by getting on base and being good contact hitters. Factor in their defensive upgrades and it's a slight net positive for the team as a whole.

Right. The defensive upgrades are not being mentioned enough. Also, the reason we lost last postseason was the bullpen. We've improved there, not made lateral moves. Literally every guy outside of Kenley was giving people heart attacks in October. Even if we haven't gotten big name set up men (if such a thing exists), there's been improvement.

Outside of game 1, we averaged 2 runs per game in the final 3 of the post season. I wont ever (bleep) about the bullpen when you average 2 runs a game. Thats as pathetic as it gets, asking the bullpen to save that kind of production is insane.

Postseason baseball is a small sample crapshoot. Your argument holds no value.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Michlake wrote:

Not really. While the bullpen did shat the bed, the offense was equally if not more culpable in last year's loss. I do want to shatter the notion that Rollins and Kendrick will get on base more and be good contact hitters. Even Kemp's OBP (.349) in the regular season was higher than Rollins (.323) and Kendrick (.347). Kendrick's numbers aren't too appealing for the postseason either. Hell, Dee's OBP in his first ever series starting is better than Kendrick's entire postseason career. So yes, they provide better defensive upgrades, but let's not act like they'll be improving the offense either. And I'm pretty sure most people will tell you that scoring 2 runs and under a game is not a recipe for winning a lot of postseason games even with a stud rotation.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Michlake wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Michlake wrote:

Not really. While the bullpen did shat the bed, the offense was equally if not more culpable in last year's loss. I do want to shatter the notion that Rollins and Kendrick will get on base more and be good contact hitters. Even Kemp's OBP (.349) in the regular season was higher than Rollins (.323) and Kendrick (.347). Kendrick's numbers aren't too appealing for the postseason either. Hell, Dee's OBP in his first ever series starting is better than Kendrick's entire postseason career. So yes, they provide better defensive upgrades, but let's not act like they'll be improving the offense either. And I'm pretty sure most people will tell you that scoring 2 runs and under a game is not a recipe for winning a lot of postseason games even with a stud rotation.

Agreed 100%. I think the argument can be made that even with Hanley & Kemp returning this year our bats weren't good enough when we needed them to be. For whatever reason our lineup just never worked out, and I don't see replacing those guys with Rollins and Kendrick would change anything if not make it worse.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Michlake wrote:

when you score 2 runs a (bleep) game, thats a problem! When youc ant hit with runners in scoring position (which was a HUGE problem for them ALL SEASON long and thats not a small sample) its a problem.

There is a reason why the new guys retooled the batting Line up, they didnt do it just to do it or to save money. Come on now, open your eyes. With that said, the bullpen did suck.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

the playoffs are a crap shoot. It's tough. Even with our allegedly downgraded lineup this year, I still think everyone here would take it over the Giants' 3 world series lineups. That was Posey, Sandoval, and much else. Maybe Kendrick and Rollins will give us the "grit" that the Giants supposedly win with.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
the playoffs are a crap shoot. It's tough. Even with our allegedly downgraded lineup this year, I still think everyone here would take it over the Giants' 3 world series lineups. That was Posey, Sandoval, and much else. Maybe Kendrick and Rollins will give us the "grit" that the Giants supposedly win with.

Eh. I was a fan of Pence. Wanted him instead of Victorino to begin with. Morse was on a pretty good power run until injured. Rollins might give a little grit and championship experience but Kendrick won't.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Eh. I was a fan of Pence. Wanted him instead of Victorino to begin with. Morse was on a pretty good power run until injured. Rollins might give a little grit and championship experience but Kendrick won't.

Marco Scutaro carried them to a title one year and Pence/Morse weren't on the first title team. Morse not on either of the last 2.

Honestly, who's lineup would you have rather had last year? Ours or theirs? I'm sure most people would pick ours. Postseason is tough. You can look at half of the last 10 world series winning teams and think, they weren't the best team that year.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Marco Scutaro carried them to a title one year and Pence/Morse weren't on the first title team. Morse not on either of the last 2.

Honestly, who's lineup would you have rather had last year? Ours or theirs? I'm sure most people would pick ours. Postseason is tough. You can look at half of the last 10 world series winning teams and think, they weren't the best team that year.

I certainly would've taken our lineup over theirs. Though I certainly wish we could've had their manager. That said, I might consider last year's SF squad as better than our current lineup.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject:

Dodger momentum towards a Moncada acquisition seems to wane each and every day. I get the sense that they've been nothing more than peripheral contenders all along. Maybe not having another splashy offseason will reverse our luck?

Our starting rotation is rock solid (the Beachy signing adds tremendous depth), the infield defense should be better, and the bullpen can't be any worse than last year's. But yeah, we'll need a breakout sophomore season from Joc to really spark the offense in order to make up for the loss of Kemp and Hanley.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

Moncada to the Red Sox via everyone on Twitter. $30 million. That's a lot less than they were saying he would go for. Maybe the Yankees and Dodgers didn't think he was that good?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Moncada to the Red Sox via everyone on Twitter. $30 million. That's a lot less than they were saying he would go for. Maybe the Yankees and Dodgers didn't think he was that good?

Must have been something like that. Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox are all in the luxury tax so Moncada costs double his signing bonus to the team.

MLBTR:
Quote:
9:10am: Moncada will receive a $31.5MM signing bonus from the Red Sox, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter links). Sherman adds that the Yankees offered $25MM with a willingness to spend up to $27MM if needed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/red-sox-to-sign-yoan-moncada.html

Another thing to consider is the Sox and Yankees can't sign international free agents for two more years now. Maybe the team is keeping its possibilities open when they won't have to compete with those two.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

(bleep)!!!!!!!!!!!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject:

So is the only way to watch Dodgers this year is thru MLB TV if they don't get that TV dispute resolved?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Yankees, Red Sox and Brewers were the three finalists for Moncada, tweets Sherman. However, the Dodgers may have offered the most money, but it came with a price; L.A. was willing to go to $35MM on the condition that Moncada wait until July 2 in order to sign. Doing so would have given the Dodgers unrestricted spending next period, giving them a shot at all the top prospects on the market without the Yankees and Red Sox to compete against. It’s also been reported that Yadier Alvares can’t sign before July 2, so the Dodgers likely could have made a run at both.

Indeed, Sherman tweets that the Dodgers are waiting until the new signing period begins on July 2 to spend significantly, and they plan to be very aggressive when that time comes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/details-on-the-runners-up-for-yoan-moncada.html
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
So is the only way to watch Dodgers this year is thru MLB TV if they don't get that TV dispute resolved?
If you live in L.A then nope, it will be blacked out due to the stupid black out rules.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

The Giants have been great at being able to do the fundamentals and all the little things perfectly in the playoffs. They were scratching out a run here or there in innings without hits and such.

Dodgers simply weren't playing that way. Giants have always had a pitcher or two step up big also while our ace honestly has cratered.

Pitching, great defense and executing the fundamentals perfectly can definitely win in the playoffs but hopefully the Dodgers can find the right mix soon.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Great story on Urias. Kid is going to be special and I can't wait for his big league call-up.

Quote:
The prospect of realizing his lifelong dream prompted Urias to drop 20 pounds in the off-season. Listed at 5 feet 11, he weighs around 200 pounds.

"It tells me a lot that he's understanding that it's not going to be easy and that you have to continue to work to get better and stronger," Mattingly said.

A.J. Ellis saw signs of that maturity when catching Urias in a recent bullpen session.

"I'd like to know how old he really is because there's no way a kid 18 years old can have that type of composure," Ellis joked. "That's what was most impressive to me, his tempo, his ability to stay in the moment.

"Most guys you catch who are in their first big-league camp, they're throwing 100 mph because of the adrenaline. I've caught guys in the past who, when they miss their spot, try to do more the next time. He just stayed the same the whole time. He has the confidence and the composure of a seasoned veteran guy."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-urias-20150224-story.html
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

With that ^^^ from DuncanIdaho, would you trade, straight up, Urias for Hammel? (I doubt either team would do it, but even though I'd consider the trade, a known for a prospect is always the safest bet, considering salaries and upside, I stick with Urias)

Also, who will have a better season, Kershaw or Bumgarner? (Kersh, here, regular and post season)

And, who will have a better season, Kemp or Ramirez? (I will only say, the one who stays the healthiest. I will guess, Ramirez)

How many wins for the Dodgers this season? (I'm still at 92, but that is not my final number)

Spring training baseball starts today for the Dodgers. Go Dodgers.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The Dodgers lose but the kids (Guerrero, 2; Peterson, 2; and Seager, 1) go 5-5
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Yep, right now its about theyhoungster playing well.

Sucks that Seager basically has no chance to make the squad right now. Kinda sucks, if he's good then play him NOW.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

So I assume the spring training games are being broadcast on SportsNetLA but nobody in LA can get them except TWC customers?
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Spring Training? Yawn.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
Spring Training? Yawn.
I agree with this. I dont watch the games, dont care too, but i do keep track of how the youngsters are doing.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yep, right now its about theyhoungster playing well.

Sucks that Seager basically has no chance to make the squad right now. Kinda sucks, if he's good then play him NOW.

Why? You have Uribe and Turner who can platoon at 3B. Why waste a year of control on Seager by bringing him up early.

Seager will have every opportunity to win the starting gig at SS or 3B next year when Uribe and Rollins are FAs
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 20 of 273
Jump to: