nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
MVP!

It looks like some voters didn't even have Kershaw in the top 3 so some old-timers were trying to ruin the party.

Sucks that he had the postseason he did, but a huge feat nonetheless.

it definitely does not feel the same given the way he performed in the postseason. now i can already hear Giants fans: "you can have your individual trophies, we just collecting WS trophies"

At least our MVPs didn't have to cheat to win the award.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I think I've found another flaw in WAR results.

Kluber, (yeah, who?), had a WAR of 7.4 compared to Kershaw's 7.5, while Kershaw just smoked him in every way possible, including and especially, ERA+ 197 - 152.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I think I've found another flaw in WAR results.

Kluber, (yeah, who?), had a WAR of 7.4 compared to Kershaw's 7.5, while Kershaw just smoked him in every way possible, including and especially, ERA+ 197 - 152.

I'd be interested to know if WAR for pitchers factors in run support.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
MVP!

It looks like some voters didn't even have Kershaw in the top 3 so some old-timers were trying to ruin the party.

Completely ridiculous!

You must be really bored in Ithaca right now.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Props to Kershaw on getting MVP. Hope he keeps it up next year.

DuncanIdaho wrote:
nickuku wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
CK wins his 3rd Cy (should be 4th straight, honestly)

Unanimous this time

Regardless of what happened in the postseason. These awards are for the regular season. I'm expecting him to take home the MVP as well. Hopefully he can break through in October next year.

He's too good not to. Lets just avoid the Cards for one postseason, though

Nah, I want us to exorcise our demons and put a welt on the Cardinals' behinds. Not going to happen with Mattingley but who knows what'll occur from here to next year.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject:

Sad thing is im not even happy he got the Award. i was at the end of the regular season, but that post season performance made them 2 awards mean nothing to me as a fan. Its like the consolation prize and BumGarner got the real price that nice World Series win. While CK had an insane season, Madison had one of the best postseasons for a pitcher in the history of the game.

It just seems for me that it got cheapened. I wish it didnt, but it did
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Sad thing is im not even happy he got the Award. i was at the end of the regular season, but that post season performance made them 2 awards mean nothing to me as a fan. Its like the consolation prize and BumGarner got the real price that nice World Series win. While CK had an insane season, Madison had one of the best postseasons for a pitcher in the history of the game.

I don't want to bring it up but it feels like Dirk's MVP when the Mavs got buzz-sawed in the 1st round.

Obviously, to me, Clayton's season overall was relatively superior but the series against the Cards...

I still can't get over Carpenter, a guy that hits like a freaking girl took us deep 3 times in 4 games. The guy will never, ever come close to hitting like he did like that again. Did I say ever? He can play himself in a video game and he won't hit like that again. Unreal.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kcxiv wrote:

I don't want to bring it up but it feels like Dirk's MVP when the Mavs got buzz-sawed in the 1st round.

Obviously, to me, Clayton's season overall was relatively superior but the series against the Cards...

I still can't get over Carpenter, a guy that hits like a freaking girl took us deep 3 times in 4 games. The guy will never, ever come close to hitting like he did like that again. Did I say ever? He can play himself in a video game and he won't hit like that again. Unreal.
Yeah, that was just some random random stuff. Kershaw was pitching 2 gems, then something just happened lol.

Like i said, this season was fun to watch him pitch until the post season. I knew this postseason something like that was going to happen. I had a feeling because it was the Cardinals again.

The joy of him winning Cy and MVP would have been sweet had he pitched well in the post season. Him falling apart just ruined it as a fan.

From here on out in the media and by fans of the sport, its going to be all about post season. We know he can dominate regular season. We have seen it 4 years in a row. (still say he should have won the Cy Young over Dickey). Its all about post season and if he can get that ERA under 3.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
MVP!

Completely ridiculous!

did clayton kershaw **** your mom or something? sheesh.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
MVP!

Completely ridiculous!

He should be so lucky.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

CC needs to be banned from any sports related messageboard forum for lack of sports knowledge lol
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
MVP!

Completely ridiculous!

He should be so lucky.

No, not his mom. Kershaw (bleep) him in the ass. His rear has been sore since.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
CC needs to be banned from any sports related messageboard forum for lack of sports knowledge lol

Don't hate on CC, this is about as much as he will ever know
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Lots of insiders tweeting that the Dodgers are aggressively trying to trade 1 or 2 of their outfielders. Puig is off the table though like many of us thought he would be.

I still think Puig is tradeable if that's what it takes to get Stanton, whom many see as the best hitter. A Stanton-Puig trade actually makes sense for both the Dodgers and Marlins.

It just doesn't make sense for the Marlins to sign Stanton to a 300M contract when that franchise is so cheap and they have no fan support. If the Marlins are signing Stanton for marketing and fan attendance, then Puig would still be a better player in that aspect for the Marlins- he's Cuban in a area with a lot of Cuban baseball fans.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

Toronto just signed Martin. Not sure who the Dodgers are going to go after now. Maybe Andrew Miller?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Lots of insiders tweeting that the Dodgers are aggressively trying to trade 1 or 2 of their outfielders. Puig is off the table though like many of us thought he would be.

I still think Puig is tradeable if that's what it takes to get Stanton, whom many see as the best hitter. A Stanton-Puig trade actually makes sense for both the Dodgers and Marlins.

It just doesn't make sense for the Marlins to sign Stanton to a 300M contract when that franchise is so cheap and they have no fan support. If the Marlins are signing Stanton for marketing and fan attendance, then Puig would still be a better player in that aspect for the Marlins- he's Cuban in a area with a lot of Cuban baseball fans.

I'm having trouble digesting that Stanton rumor as well. Someone is blowing smoke.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

dodgers want to trade ethier and kemp???
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I'm having trouble digesting that Stanton rumor as well. Someone is blowing smoke.

well the deal is official now so maybe we can get Fernandez instead because I don't see Miami paying Stanton and Fernandez,
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Glad we passed up Martin at the price he fetched.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Jays went full (bleep). I would've liked to have Martin but that (bleep) is ridiculous. I just hope it doesn't drive AJ's price too high.

And I guess Stanton's going for money over quality. Marlins will dump him eventually seeing as how his contract's more than they ever paid the ENTIRE team the past few years. Hope we snatch him up.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Who do we have in the minors at catcher?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
dodgers want to trade ethier and kemp???

You'd have to eat a part of his contract to get rid of Ethier. Kemp is a lot more moveable. They have to do something though, time to start bringing up the young'uns sooner or later.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

This day in Dodger history....
http://www.dodgersnation.com/today-in-dodger-history-dodgers-trade-pedro-martinez-to-expos/2013/11/19
Quote:
Today In Dodger History: Dodgers Trade Pedro Martinez To Expos
Posted by: Vincent Samperio Posted date: November 19, 2013 In: Editorials, Slideshow | comment : 0 Comments

Pedro Martinez

Teams often make trades that they think will make the team better and end up regretting it later. On this date in 1993, the Dodgers made one of those trades when they sent a 22-year-old pitcher by the name of Pedro Martinez to the Montreal Expos in exchange for 24-year-old second baseman Delino DeShields.

Martinez went on to become one of the best starting pitchers of the decade, while DeShields spent just three seasons with the Dodgers before leaving as a free agent. DeShields never hit higher than .256 with the Dodgers and while he did have 114 stolen bases in 370 games in Los Angeles, he never panned out as the second baseman of the future the Dodgers envisioned. DeShields went on to have some success with his future teams but never compared to the player that Martinez became.

Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda thought Martinez was too small to become an effective starting pitcher in the major leagues. The Dodgers had his brother, starting pitcher Ramon Martinez, but that wasn’t enough to keep the family together. Martinez spent four years with the Expos and won at least 11 games every season. In 1997, Martinez went 17-8 with a 1.90 ERA and 305 strikeouts in 31 starts. After that season, the right-hander was traded to the Boston Red Sox for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas, Jr. With the Red Sox, Martinez became a superstar that helped the Red Sox win their first World Series title since 1918 and became an eccentric personality that thrived in the pressure of Boston.

Deshields is currently a manager for the Cincinnati Reds affiliate, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos after a 13-year career in the majors. His son was drafted eighth overall in the 2010 MLB Draft. Meanwhile, Martinez joined the Red Sox as a special assistant after finishing his 18-year career and was seen this postseason on TBS as an analyst.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This day in Dodger history....
http://www.dodgersnation.com/today-in-dodger-history-dodgers-trade-pedro-martinez-to-expos/2013/11/19
Quote:
Today In Dodger History: Dodgers Trade Pedro Martinez To Expos
Posted by: Vincent Samperio Posted date: November 19, 2013 In: Editorials, Slideshow | comment : 0 Comments

Pedro Martinez

Teams often make trades that they think will make the team better and end up regretting it later. On this date in 1993, the Dodgers made one of those trades when they sent a 22-year-old pitcher by the name of Pedro Martinez to the Montreal Expos in exchange for 24-year-old second baseman Delino DeShields.

Martinez went on to become one of the best starting pitchers of the decade, while DeShields spent just three seasons with the Dodgers before leaving as a free agent. DeShields never hit higher than .256 with the Dodgers and while he did have 114 stolen bases in 370 games in Los Angeles, he never panned out as the second baseman of the future the Dodgers envisioned. DeShields went on to have some success with his future teams but never compared to the player that Martinez became.

Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda thought Martinez was too small to become an effective starting pitcher in the major leagues. The Dodgers had his brother, starting pitcher Ramon Martinez, but that wasn’t enough to keep the family together. Martinez spent four years with the Expos and won at least 11 games every season. In 1997, Martinez went 17-8 with a 1.90 ERA and 305 strikeouts in 31 starts. After that season, the right-hander was traded to the Boston Red Sox for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas, Jr. With the Red Sox, Martinez became a superstar that helped the Red Sox win their first World Series title since 1918 and became an eccentric personality that thrived in the pressure of Boston.

Deshields is currently a manager for the Cincinnati Reds affiliate, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos after a 13-year career in the majors. His son was drafted eighth overall in the 2010 MLB Draft. Meanwhile, Martinez joined the Red Sox as a special assistant after finishing his 18-year career and was seen this postseason on TBS as an analyst.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I've always wondered why Peter O'Malley got a free pass with Dodgers fans. He ran the farm system and scouting into the ground and hired Fred Claire, who knew as much about baseball as CC. Trading Pedro for the likes of Delino Deshields was about par for the course.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 3 of 273
Jump to: