RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

Listen. We faced four really good teams. Teams that know their identity and have exceptional players.

I'm happy that we've already gone against:
1) The best back court
2) The best point guard, the best 6th man, arguably the best PF (def most athletic)
3) The best SG (unless you argue it's Kobe), and arguably the best Center
4) Arguably one of the deepest teams.

I mean, we've gone against the best player in each position except SF.

The past two games were nothing to hold your head down about. We're not as talented as these teams. But we're making small steps in the right direction. Also… it was 4 in 5 nights..

So without getting so mad. Let's just rationally look at some problems:

1) Our transition defense and pick n roll defense leaves a lot to be desired.
2) Our PGs have to be more consistent. Byron needs to use time off to really establish what we're doing on offense. Cos when Kobe sees the PGs don't know, he's going to force action.
3) Kobe has to trust driving more as well as facilitating. He has to really take the challenge of being efficient off 15-18 shots and passing.
4) Stop fouling.

That being said, the first two games were just a mess. These past two games we played high powered offensive teams on back to back. We had stops. In fact we had leads, even double digit. Hill and Davis played well, and their confident.
Kobe had a great game against Clippers till the 4th, and tonight had a great 3rd quarter. So what to take of that?

Well the injury recovery doesn't worry me as much. He had an absurd dunk, some absurd beyond arc fall backs, and some athletic layups that I didn't expect till near all-star break. The way he facilitated most of Clippers game was great. He has to now just learn to not get tunnel vision and channel the control more.

Lin is getting used to being the guy. It's new to him. Dude played in the D-league. Relax guys. Yeah he was really really bad. But he's never had that role without looking over his back to see who is taking his spot. Give him time. He went against absurd guard play these 4 games.

Davis is a definite steal.
We bid for Boozer. You guys can't get mad at him at this stage of his career. We know who he is. Yes, you can be critical of him, but be realistic and know he's going to have some games you like him a lot and others you are face palming. But game by game, he still has upside. He's also a great teammate.

I'm not going to breakdown the whole team. I know the feeling, we're passionate fans. Some of us just need to see that first win to give us some momentum and hope (except if you're on the tank train). Just be patient. Something would be really off if we were beating the teams we had just played.

Next week we start a stretch against completely different types of teams. Let's see how we do.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

On the bright side Jordan Hill maybe we can flip him at the trade dead line if he keeps playing like this
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

save it, we are not done with the best backcourt we play them 3 more times
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

We see the brow twice next week, right? Chalk up two more l's unless we start getting really good at shooting 3's. Thier interior defense is too good for our play style.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

Laker Intervention wrote:
Listen. We faced four really good teams. Teams that know their identity and have exceptional players.

1) The best back court
2) The best point guard, the best 6th man, arguably the best PF (def most athletic)

The past two games were nothing to hold your head down about. We're not as talented as these teams. But we're making small steps in the right direction. Also… it was 4 in 5 nights..

2) Our PGs have to be more consistent. Byron needs to use time off to really establish what we're doing on offense. Cos when Kobe sees the PGs don't know, he's going to force action.
3) Kobe has to trust driving more as well as facilitating. He has to really take the challenge of being efficient off 15-18 shots and passing.
4) Stop fouling.

That being said, the first two games were just a mess. These past two games we played high powered offensive teams on back to back. We had stops. In fact we had leads, even double digit. Hill and Davis played well, and their confident.
Kobe had a great game against Clippers till the 4th, and tonight had a great 3rd quarter. So what to take of that?

Well the injury recovery doesn't worry me as much. He had an absurd dunk, some absurd beyond arc fall backs, and some athletic layups that I didn't expect till near all-star break. The way he facilitated most of Clippers game was great. He has to now just learn to not get tunnel vision and channel the control more.

Lin is getting used to being the guy. It's new to him. Dude played in the D-league. Relax guys. Yeah he was really really bad. But he's never had that role without looking over his back to see who is taking his spot. Give him time. He went against absurd guard play these 4 games.

We bid for Boozer. You guys can't get mad at him at this stage of his career. We know who he is. Yes, you can be critical of him, but be realistic and know he's going to have some games you like him a lot and others you are face palming. But game by game, he still has upside. He's also a great teammate.

I'm not going to breakdown the whole team. I know the feeling, we're passionate fans. Some of us just need to see that first win to give us some momentum and hope (except if you're on the tank train). Just be patient. Something would be really off if we were beating the teams we had just played.

Next week we start a stretch against completely different types of teams. Let's see how we do.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

Davis just plays really smart, patient basketball. Good defender. He finds open guys out of his roll on the pnr and takes his time on his post catches and gets a good shot 9/10 times...his free throws tho....lol
As far as the rest of the post
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised Hill was scoring, he wasn't gobbling offensive rebounds but he really needs to work on the defensive side.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Right. And as I said in another thread.

All teams start with 82 games as they are. We are not talented. But by the end of the season not all teams are the same when they started. Our goal is to have become a better team and at a better magnitude than the rest of the teams in the league.

This forum puts so much energy and frustration into the team we are. Gotta get over it and worry about trying to get better by the day.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Right. And as I said in another thread.

All teams start with 82 games as they are. We are not talented. But by the end of the season not all teams are the same when they started. Our goal is to have become a better team and at a better magnitude than the rest of the teams in the league.

This forum puts so much energy and frustration into the team we are. Gotta get over it and worry about trying to get better by the day.

Thanks for the thread and analysis LI. We need this -- to put things into perspective. I agree wholeheartedly. We need to focus on getting better, and give this team more time.
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:

The issue isn't 0-4 as much as it is -17.

That's our PPG differential through all games played this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject:

First two games we were outplayed the entire ways through.

3rd and fourth games we hung with those teams, lead those teams, till certain rotations came in. Rotations cannot be helped when you're a roster short.

If people want to look at Sacre's 4 straight turnovers against the Clippers. Understand Sacre gets no playing time if Randle and Kelly are healthy.

If people look at the Sacre/Boozer lineup as well as Kobe having no legs in the 2nd that gave Golden State momentum, be aware that Sacre won't get many minutes if people are in rotation ahead of him.

Sacre is our 15th man. That is what he will always be. Him getting significant minutes is a sign that it cannot be helped.

Us beating on the Clippers whom got many fortunate breaks and a foul call go their way in order to beat us is encouraging.

us having a 10 point lead on a back to back in our 4th game in 5 nights against the splash brothers and looking on the verse of pushing them out is even more and we were still pretty in it till really late in that game where we ran out of gas and the fresh legs of a team in their 2nd game and their home opener went against the legs of a 4 games in 5 nights team who just came off facing Houston, Phoenix, Clippers and Golden State with only one game of rest in between.

We're better than people think we are. If that's as good as people want us to be or felt we'd be remains to be seen as we'll never truly know till Young comes back and will never "fully" know because neither Nash nor Randle is playing for us this year.

The reality is we have to keep making those small improvements and seeing where we stand 3-4 weeks from now with Young and Kelly back and situated and everyone else hopefully healthy.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject:

I don't want to analyze anything right now. After 10 games we can start doing that. But it is just too early.
Lakers Team
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

The difference to our back court is ours take low percentage shoots and looks the whole game

When you get high percentage shoots and looks, you're getting more confident through out the game like we see Curry and Klay the warriors team today. Their coach was a shooter he knows how to draw a high percentage shoots and looks the whole game

We to need address our front court offense combination (positioning) they're being too static not to mention slow too
KobesRevenge
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:

I'm cautiously hopeful that this team will make up lost ground in the next 4 games. We have the Suns again on Tuesday, but we will be fully rested this time, and although the Suns are a good team, they're not as good as the Clippers or Warriors. We went toe to toe with the last two team most of the way, so we have a decent shot against the Suns.

The next 3 games after that are against decent defenses that don't score a lot of points (as long as our post defense is there). The Hornets & the Griz force you into a lot of mid to long 2's. The thing is, we're perfectly happy taking these mid to long 2's as long as they are uncontested. Given our shot selection, I'm not sure our offensive efficiency will change much against a good defense. That's one advantage of having a system that takes a lot of mid to long 2's.

Since we have a porous defense, 106 points is not enough against a high octane offense like the Warriors, but it might be enough against the Hornets/Memphis/Pelicans. Here's hoping we can go 4-0 the next 4 games and get to .500!
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

Lakers Team wrote:

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

The difference to our back court is ours take low percentage shoots and looks the whole game

When you get high percentage shoots and looks, you're getting more confident through out the game like we see Curry and Klay the warriors team today. Their coach was a shooter he knows how to draw a high percentage shoots and looks the whole game

We to need address our front court offense combination (positioning) they're being too static not to mention slow too

I think some of your concerns were addressed by the OP. But, if not, I'd like to clarify...

Yes, you're right, that against the Warriors, the Lakers offense looked stilted, while Golden State pretty much got whatever they wanted.

Like the OP said, our PnR and screen defense must improve. Guys have to move their feet, and help defense has to provide adequate...well...help.

While the offense has looked better in the last 2 games, it's still a work in progress. When you're a team that has no inside presence, you have to rely on movement, precision, and shooting, to carry your offense. Guys are still learning each other, so movement and precision are going to take time to develop. 2 of of our better shooters (Nick and Kelly) are still out due to injury. So, our shooting as a team is going to be average at best.

Despite the disappointing losses, I like where our team is headed, and hope to see more improvement. Also, with the injury exceptions for Nash and Randle, I hope the Lakers can find a FA who can provide some spark for our team.

Lakers!

ZOOM!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The issue isn't 0-4 as much as it is -17.

That's our PPG differential through all games played this season.

Yep. Some people get hysterical and want to blame everyone, while others want to pretend to be the voice of reason. Whatever. For the season to date, we've played four WC playoff quality teams, and we've been outclassed. It's disappointing, but not unexpected. The next two games (Suns and Hornets at home) will be critical. If we don't get a W in at least one of those games, the losing streak could last a long time. For 29 of 30 teams, that's would suck, but would be bearable. For us, it would be apocalyptic. The endless media scrutiny would wear everyone down.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Lin is a backup PG in this league. Once the defense focuses on him, he's done. He'd be much better coming off the bench and contributing.

Kobe scores but, as we saw last night, he was locked down in the 4th and he was scored on in bunches. He needs a great supporting cast t this stage of his career.

Johnson is just another bench guy that starts for the Lakers

Booz, at this stage, is also bench guy that needs controlled minutes. He can do good but if in too long he will fade.

Hill and Ed are both PF's thrown into playing C. Both can contribute for sure but against true C's long nights ahead.

While we miss Young as a scorer he should probably start instead of coming off the bench on this team.

This is not a good team at all, just a matter of living though the season and the next few years until a true team can be put together...
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

tO KEEP IT AS REAL As as possible about the Lakers

Lakers are competitive but a low tier team......

1. lakers are easy to guard against

2. Lakers are old

3.Lakers need to do what the Celtics did and really RELOAD
Lakers Team
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

chazz wrote:

2. Lakers are old

Agree.

Lakers roster
A. No Fast Breaks
B. No 3s
C. Lakers Front court offence static and slow
D. Lakers Back court (shooters) all have low percentage looks the whole game

Last edited by Lakers Team on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Lin is a backup PG in this league. Once the defense focuses on him, he's done. He'd be much better coming off the bench and contributing.

Kobe scores but, as we saw last night, he was locked down in the 4th and he was scored on in bunches. He needs a great supporting cast t this stage of his career.

Johnson is just another bench guy that starts for the Lakers

Booz, at this stage, is also bench guy that needs controlled minutes. He can do good but if in too long he will fade.

Hill and Ed are both PF's thrown into playing C. Both can contribute for sure but against true C's long nights ahead.

While we miss Young as a scorer he should probably start instead of coming off the bench on this team.

This is not a good team at all, just a matter of living though the season and the next few years until a true team can be put together...

Pretty much. Kobe is playing with a second team. With the exception of Kobe the Lakers starters are probably coming off the bench on a good team. Losing Gasol was a big loss for the short term. He was the only other legitimate starter that they had. Even their second best player Nick Young is a 6th man.

We are looking at a five year process here. No star power will join as a free agent until the team has collected some good young players through the draft. And the scary thing is the draft is often a crap shoot. With some bad luck or if the right picks aren't made it could be longer than five years. The only hope to avoid futility for the forseable future is to pull a Riley in 2016 and get two or three free agent all stars to sign simultaneously.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

Fantastic, balanced analysis. Well done.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

So, to summarize the above, our Lakers suck. Smile and deal with it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Team wrote:
chazz wrote:

2. Lakers are old

Agree.

If i'm Steve Kerr i could sleep well the day before Lakers game

A. No Fast Breaks
B. No 3s
C. Lakers Front court offence static and slow
D. Lakers Back court (shooters) all have low percentage looks the whole game

Just to play advocate

If I'm Steve Kerr I'd have a lot to work on
A. A team with no legs dropped 31 on us in the first quarter
B. They did this while their leading scorer had no lift and didn't score and their 2nd leading scorer is injured.
C. We only gained momentum when Ed Davis and Jordan Hill were replaced with Boozer and Sacre and Kobe had 4th game in 5 nights legs.
D. That they had another 31 point quarter on us despite shooting 21% from three
E. That against our defensive stopper Bogut that Jordan Hill scored 23 and Bogut himself against Hill only shot 30%.
F. thank the basketball Gods that I have Klay and Curry and they kept never missing.

So both teams have stuff to work on honestly
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

Thank you so much for begin a voice of reason among the pack of idiots that post stupidity here. This team, fully healthy, no injuries would never have made the playoffs even playing well. It is NOT Kobe's fault. It is NOT Byron's fault. It isn't even the front office's fault. It is the reality of rebuilding.

The first 10+ games are killer. I think that considering everything the team played OK, especially against the Clippers and Warriors. You are 100% correct about who this team has faced. The Warriors had to set records to beat the Lakers and had our new PG paced the game better at the end, we might have won. We hung with the Clippers with Blake having about the best game he could have and with the refs swaying the final minutes by pathetic calls (it is early season for them too).

Maybe it is because I'm old but I remember the awful Cedric Ceballos days and then later the Smush-Chris Mihm days. There were years when the roster just wasn't there. Looking back on those days it was fun watching the team reload. It is going to take some time, but the Lakers will reload and get back to near the top soon. I just hope they have some very talented scouts out watching college games. There is no room to screw up the draft. To put us over the top we need to pull out a Ginobli type of late pick along with some top picks that aren't busts.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

What we really need to do:

Some facts -
Game 1 - Houston shot 12/29 from 3 against us (27 more points after subtracting from our own 3 points)
Game 2 - Phoenix shot 16/32 from 3 against us (36 more points)
Game 3 - Clippers had 12/33 from 3 against us (22 more points)
Game 4 - GSW had 11/23 from 3 against us (21 points)

To me it looks like we lost mainly due to the 3 points differential.

We have to improve our defence against teams taking these 3 point shots (at least to lower their percentages/success rates) - what's working against us is our team doesn't practice taking those shots often enough (since it does not seem to be the main focus of attack by our team, which may also mean it doesn't happen often enough in the practice sessions for them to guard agains too).

I know the HC has plans not to over-rely on 3 point shooting, but we need the team to practice guarding against 3-point plays so at the very least he should get the team to attempt the league average on 3 point plays - otherwise the team won't have any practice trying to guard against those.

just my 2 cents.....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RATIONAL ANALYSIS UP TO NOW

youcantguardme wrote:

1) The best back court

4) Stop fouling.

Patience, progress.
Go Lakers.

Thank you so much for begin a voice of reason among the pack of idiots that post stupidity here. This team, fully healthy, no injuries would never have made the playoffs even playing well. It is NOT Kobe's fault. It is NOT Byron's fault. It isn't even the front office's fault. It is the reality of rebuilding.

The first 10+ games are killer. I think that considering everything the team played OK, especially against the Clippers and Warriors. You are 100% correct about who this team has faced. The Warriors had to set records to beat the Lakers and had our new PG paced the game better at the end, we might have won. We hung with the Clippers with Blake having about the best game he could have and with the refs swaying the final minutes by pathetic calls (it is early season for them too).

Maybe it is because I'm old but I remember the awful Cedric Ceballos days and then later the Smush-Chris Mihm days. There were years when the roster just wasn't there. Looking back on those days it was fun watching the team reload. It is going to take some time, but the Lakers will reload and get back to near the top soon. I just hope they have some very talented scouts out watching college games. There is no room to screw up the draft. To put us over the top we need to pull out a Ginobli type of late pick along with some top picks that aren't busts.

The first year with Cedric we still won 48 wins and upset the Sonics in the first round. I was there for the closeout game.

The Smush/Mihm days bottomed out at 33 wins (which included of course Kobe missing a huge chunk at the same of the season.

Those Cedric/Van Exel/Eddie/Vlade teams were NOT awful. That is simply crazy talk. They won 48, then jumped to 53 the next team. That team was absolutely loaded with foundational pieces. The Shaq trade pushed them immediately in contender status.

The Smush/Mihm team at least had prime Kobe and Lamar.

I don't know how we can even compare those teams to this. The only similarity is they didn't win the chip but other than that...zero in common. Man, to call those mid 90's teams awful. Wow

95% of this squad on the other hand will be jettisoned in 1-2 years. At no point the Lakers history has the cupboards been this bare. This team hasn't even decided on which patch of dirt to pour the cement much less have any semblance of a foundation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: