Countdown 12/12/14: 31 points until Kobe Passes Jordan all time in points...might do it in Spurs game today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
bryants2hot2handle wrote:
It's happening tonight guys!!!!!!!

Against the defending world champions. It has to!

and the Spurs will be polishing their championship rings while laughing at the Lakers making a big deal out of a meaningless 3rd step on the ladder to a overall meaningless record.
And they'll take comfort in knowing they're the odds on favorite to win another this ring this season

The MJ scoring chase is marginally interesting, but let's not make it out to be a big deal when it really isn't

I agree with you in terms of the Spurs perspective on this scoring chase. Still, I find it odd that you're downplaying this accomplishment, yet you have Kobe's place in the all-time scoring list documented in your sig.

1. LAL were going no where this year....that was obvious back in July. This record was a minimally minor footnote in an otherwise bad season
2. as I said in my post "The MJ scoring chase is marginally interesting, but let's not make it out to be a big deal when it really isn't"

it's marginally interesting. Making a big deal out of passing MJ for the 3rd spot on the ladder isn't that big a deal though, and it'll be even more meaningless to the Spurs themselves or the accomplishment of doing it against the Spurs.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't care if Kobe needs to shoot 40 times to do it today. It's gotta happen in San Antonio, not in Minnesota.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Corso wrote:
If Kawhi plays and plays decent minutes (never guaranteed with Pop) I don't think Kobe gets it.

If he doesn't- it's on.

Kawhi is long and defends Kobe well. It won't be easy....but if Kobe wants it, he can get it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
at the notion that Jordan "single-handedly revolutionized the game", and that no one passed the torched to him. He was great, and arguably the greatest, but he's also the single most well-marketed athlete in the history of sports, and played in a perfect time where there was enough exposure via SportsCenter and other vehicles, but not over-exposed/scrutinized in an era of social media. Good grief are the remembrances of him nauseating.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Kobe pass him in the next game or two. Wish it was happening under better circumstances in Lakerland.

Do you think Lebron is at a relative disadvantage with the over exposure in an era of social media? I'd say he's a beneficiary.

The fact that we're excited about Kobe meeting and exceeding MJ in the points race isn't helping fight that image. Not nearly as much fanfare when it came to passing Wilt, Julius or Moses.

Yes, I do. I think that's why he's a pretty milquetoast, corporate personality. It's by necessity. Every little thing these guys do is picked apart. Jordan couldn't be gambling, drinking, womanizing, or fighting with teammates in today's era.

For chrissakes, Kobe called his teammates soft yesterday after a particularly uninspired scrimmage, and it was immediately a national story. Jordan would punch people in the face and maybe it would make it into a book a year later.
Corso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:
If Kawhi plays and plays decent minutes (never guaranteed with Pop) I don't think Kobe gets it.

If he doesn't- it's on.

Kawhi is long and defends Kobe well. It won't be easy....but if Kobe wants it, he can get it.

No argument. If Kobe truly desires to do this tonight- it will happen.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
at the notion that Jordan "single-handedly revolutionized the game", and that no one passed the torched to him. He was great, and arguably the greatest, but he's also the single most well-marketed athlete in the history of sports, and played in a perfect time where there was enough exposure via SportsCenter and other vehicles, but not over-exposed/scrutinized in an era of social media. Good grief are the remembrances of him nauseating.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Kobe pass him in the next game or two. Wish it was happening under better circumstances in Lakerland.

Do you think Lebron is at a relative disadvantage with the over exposure in an era of social media? I'd say he's a beneficiary.

The fact that we're excited about Kobe meeting and exceeding MJ in the points race isn't helping fight that image. Not nearly as much fanfare when it came to passing Wilt, Julius or Moses.

Yes, I do. I think that's why he's a pretty milquetoast, corporate personality. It's by necessity. Every little thing these guys do is picked apart. Jordan couldn't be gambling, drinking, womanizing, or fighting with teammates in today's era.

For chrissakes, Kobe called his teammates soft yesterday after a particularly uninspired scrimmage, and it was immediately a national story. Jordan would punch people in the face and maybe it would make it into a book a year later.

I think if Jordan were still a winner, that the public would accept his off-court life style. It's like with Derek Jeter or Leo DiCaprio; the public wants them to be womanizing, drinkers, but as long as they keep it classy and excel at what they do, the public loves them.

Now, if you do those things and lose, then it gets blamed on those things.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I think if Jordan were still a winner, that the public would accept his off-court life style. It's like with Derek Jeter or Leo DiCaprio; the public wants them to be womanizing, drinkers, but as long as they keep it classy and excel at what they do, the public loves them.

Now, if you do those things and lose, then it gets blamed on those things.

I don't remember Jeter being a party/club guy, and he was never married with kids. No one cares that a single, young rich athlete is sleeping with the best looking women in the world. And actors aren't judged in the same way that athletes are. People don't root for actors in the same way that they root for players or teams.
Misaeng
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:

If he doesn't- it's on.

Kawhi is not playing tonight but I'm not too sure Pop and the Spurs want to be known as the team that Kobe passed Jordan on so we'll have to wait and see.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:

If he doesn't- it's on.

Kawhi is not playing tonight but I'm not too sure Pop and the Spurs want to be known as the team that Kobe passed Jordan on so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm 100% sure that Pop doesn't give a flip.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:

If he doesn't- it's on.

I'm 100% sure that you are right
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

can't wait for Kobe to pass Jordan. go Kobster!
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
abella134
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Finally!!!!
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

8pts to go after the Spurs game
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Does anybody care he didn't surpass MJ today? Heck no! Haha. What a win -- since he only needs 9 pts I hope the points he does it on is a classic Kobe type shot.

When Kyle Anderson tapped in a missed shot in his own basket, it made me think man, that would be the worst way to surpass MJ. Kobe missed a layup and Wiggins tried to rebound it and puts it in his own basket with Kobe being the closest player. haha
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Just to be clear for everyone
8 points to tie MJ
9 points to pass
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
I don't care if Kobe needs to shoot 40 times to do it today. It's gotta happen in San Antonio, not in Minnesota.

When's the next time they play in San Antone? Dudes gonna hafta miss a few games.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject:

Id love for kobe to score 12 points on 45% and have 13 assists

Id love that double double in the night he surpasses jordan
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
Nobody wrote:

MJ isn't the consensus GOAT, though. You can make a strong case for a handful of other players, with Cap and Magic spearheading that list. Magic was Finals MVP as a rookie, he went to 9 Finals for crying out loud and he was the one (along with Bird) who saved the league when it was at its lowest point. 6/6 and scoring doesn't outweigh that as easily as some would have it, especially when the other guy went to 3 more Finals.

you do realize that Jordan purposely left the NBA after 3 (or was it 4) rings for 2 years of baseball only to come back and play and win more championships. if he hadn't left, what makes you think he couldn't have made more finals or won more championships?

also, he chose to retire when he felt he couldn't compete at the highest level (which is still higher than most every player) and only came back to try to revive the Wizards franchise. he didn't seem to care about how many points he scored so picking out stats like final fours or career points is bogus when you are judging Jordan.

He quit after three. I don't really care what he could have done or how many he could have won. In the world that actually matters - reality, Magic didn't quit after three. Instead Magic went to the Finals 9 times, which is 3 more times than Jordan has done it. Why should 5/9 be automatically less than 6/6? Not to mention the league in which Magic played was arguably quite a bit more competitive than the one MJ was getting his rings in.

Furthermore, Cap also offers an impressive resume, to name another that makes a case for GOAT.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Agreed. I'll go even further than that. If anyone single-handedly revolutionized the game, it was Magic. And he was the one who passed the torch to Michael (or MJ took it from him, have it as you will). Magic (and Bird) also set the perfect stage for MJ. The league was not a bunch of coke-snorting high-fly acts with miserable attendance anymore, but a widely competitive one, with ratings and interest on the rise. Thanks to those two and their legendary battles.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:

If he doesn't- it's on.

Which would totally explain Kobe being doubled and even tripled late in the game. They forced him into passing to teammates who were shooting better than Kobe. Your 100 percent is so authoritative.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Corso wrote:

If he doesn't- it's on.

Which would totally explain Kobe being doubled and even tripled late in the game. They forced him into passing to teammates who were shooting better than Kobe. Your 100 percent is so authoritative.

Yep. even now they can't guard him and they know it and would rather get the ball out of his hands than deal with him scoring the ball.

People talk about how old he is, how slow he is, how much lift he's lost, yet, teams still send virtually all of their attention to him on the regular because they know that he'll bust their asses in single coverage.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: