Countdown 12/12/14: 31 points until Kobe Passes Jordan all time in points...might do it in Spurs game today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject:

They're showing Lakers Spurs in Australia this weekend, do it Kobe.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
12/9 after Kings game

MJ: 32,292
Kobe: 32,262
Difference: 30
Kobe's current scoring avg: 25.5ppg
games to catch: 1.18

Upcoming games:
Spurs
Wolves
Pacers
OKC

Man, that's a lot of points. Assuming Kobe winds up averaging 27 ppg, which I am, and that he plays 80 games, that'll leave him with about 33,300 points by season's end. Wow!
caesar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Your math is off, more likely 33,800 with this average. But if they tank, he'll play less.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

24 + 30 = 23
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject:

I believe Kobe has passed MJ for GOAT, but 31 more points until Kobe has yet another reason why he is the greatest player of all time.

I guess what makes this even more special is that he's doing all this right after what could of been a career ending injury.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 + 30 = 23

24 + 30 = 54, which is 45 reversed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

If he can't get it tonight, NBA TV or some other outlet has to pick up the Lakers v. Minny game, right?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

I don't know that they have to.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If he can't get it tonight, NBA TV or some other outlet has to pick up the Lakers v. Minny game, right?

No worries. You can relive it through the thoughts & ratings thread the following morning.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 + 30 = 23

24 + 30 = 54, which is 45 reversed.

Ohh nice!

Did you know that 24 + 31 > 23? Haha.
Lakers#1fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
I believe Kobe has passed MJ for GOAT, but 31 more points until Kobe has yet another reason why he is the greatest player of all time.

I guess what makes this even more special is that he's doing all this right after what could of been a career ending injury.

I love Kobe, Im his biggest supporter but he is not better than MJ. Even if you take away all the numbers and accomplishments from the equation, Michael was just better in my eyes. And what made MJ so great I think is his athleticism and strength, both physical gifts that are God given.

I was just born when the bulls dynasty began and I watched him as a young kid. Maybe, him being the first to dominate like that has something to do with my opinion, I don't know why but I think Jordan is just better.

I would say though that Kobe made the most out of his physical attributes. Phil has talked about his "small hands," and though Kobe was very athletic in the past, Jordan just was a notch above in the athleticism department and thats not arguable. There's 3 disadvantages Kobe had to fight past, the smallish hands, athleticism, and strength. And Kobe worked past all that, worked his a** off and thats why he is in the debate. From this reasoning, Kobe is the harder worker in between the two I would say and his work ethic has been widely documented. Kobe is definitely #2, I would say, and thats not just at the shooting guard position that all these ESPN idiots seem to like to say. Kobe is not top 10 all time, or top 5, he is #2 overall in my eyes.

I look forward to Kobe passing Jordan tonight adding to his accomplishments and adding another badge if you may.

Having said all this, Kobe is not done playing yet. If, and I pray to God, he gets #6 after this devastating injury and at this age, Kobe is 1B. And #7 would catapult him past Jordan no doubt about it. This is impossible it seems at this point, but a guy can dream.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1fan wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

I love Kobe, Im his biggest supporter but he is not better than MJ. Even if you take away all the numbers and accomplishments from the equation, Michael was just better in my eyes. And what made MJ so great I think is his athleticism and strength, both physical gifts that are God given.

I was just born when the bulls dynasty began and I watched him as a young kid. Maybe, him being the first to dominate like that has something to do with my opinion, I don't know why but I think Jordan is just better.

I would say though that Kobe made the most out of his physical attributes. Phil has talked about his "small hands," and though Kobe was very athletic in the past, Jordan just was a notch above in the athleticism department and thats not arguable. There's 3 disadvantages Kobe had to fight past, the smallish hands, athleticism, and strength. And Kobe worked past all that, worked his a** off and thats why he is in the debate. From this reasoning, Kobe is the harder worker in between the two I would say and his work ethic has been widely documented. Kobe is definitely #2, I would say, and thats not just at the shooting guard position that all these ESPN idiots seem to like to say. Kobe is not top 10 all time, or top 5, he is #2 overall in my eyes.

I look forward to Kobe passing Jordan tonight adding to his accomplishments and adding another badge if you may.

Having said all this, Kobe is not done playing yet. If, and I pray to God, he gets #6 after this devastating injury and at this age, Kobe is 1B. And #7 would catapult him past Jordan no doubt about it. This is impossible it seems at this point, but a guy can dream.

I think there's a lot to this. I think part of the reason MJ is placed on such an insurmountable pedestal, is because he was the "first" so to speak. He single-handedly revolutionized the game. No one "passed the torch" to him per se, he made the torch. It was never MJ chasing someone to get there. He could not be compared to anyone before him.

And now anyone after him, it's just not good enough to be close. You have to be indisputably better in order to be considered better. Is it fair? Maybe not. Probably not. But the GOAT will always get the benefit of the doubt. If you want to unseat him, then you have to be so much better that there is no doubt.
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

It's happening tonight guys!!!!!!!

Against the defending world champions. It has to!
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

bryants2hot2handle wrote:

how fitting the two best players of the generation. anyone have a good kobe video to pump me up.

you can look back at this game 20 years from now and see legends
kobe duncan manu pop
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:

how fitting the two best players of the generation. anyone have a good kobe video to pump me up.

you can look back at this game 20 years from now and see legends
kobe duncan manu pop

Yeah, it's almost uncanny how perfectly set up this game is. Can't imagine a better opponent for this milestone to be met. Let's hope Kobe can deliver.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

and the Spurs will be polishing their championship rings while laughing at the Lakers making a big deal out of a meaningless 3rd step on the ladder to a overall meaningless record.
And they'll take comfort in knowing they're the odds on favorite to win another this ring this season

The MJ scoring chase is marginally interesting, but let's not make it out to be a big deal when it really isn't
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

and the Spurs will be polishing their championship rings while laughing at the Lakers making a big deal out of a meaningless 3rd step on the ladder to a overall meaningless record.
And they'll take comfort in knowing they're the odds on favorite to win another this ring this season

The MJ scoring chase is marginally interesting, but let's not make it out to be a big deal when it really isn't

I agree with you in terms of the Spurs perspective on this scoring chase. Still, I find it odd that you're downplaying this accomplishment, yet you have Kobe's place in the all-time scoring list documented in your sig.
Corso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

If Kawhi plays and plays decent minutes (never guaranteed with Pop) I don't think Kobe gets it.

If he doesn't- it's on.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1fan wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Lakers#1fan wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

I think there's a lot to this. I think part of the reason MJ is placed on such an insurmountable pedestal, is because he was the "first" so to speak. He single-handedly revolutionized the game. No one "passed the torch" to him per se, he made the torch. It was never MJ chasing someone to get there. He could not be compared to anyone before him.

And now anyone after him, it's just not good enough to be close. You have to be indisputably better in order to be considered better. Is it fair? Maybe not. Probably not. But the GOAT will always get the benefit of the doubt. If you want to unseat him, then you have to be so much better that there is no doubt.

MJ isn't the consensus GOAT, though. You can make a strong case for a handful of other players, with Cap and Magic spearheading that list. Magic was Finals MVP as a rookie, he went to 9 Finals for crying out loud and he was the one (along with Bird) who saved the league when it was at its lowest point. 6/6 and scoring doesn't outweigh that as easily as some would have it, especially when the other guy went to 3 more Finals.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

at the notion that Jordan "single-handedly revolutionized the game", and that no one passed the torched to him. He was great, and arguably the greatest, but he's also the single most well-marketed athlete in the history of sports, and played in a perfect time where there was enough exposure via SportsCenter and other vehicles, but not over-exposed/scrutinized in an era of social media. Good grief are the remembrances of him nauseating.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Kobe pass him in the next game or two. Wish it was happening under better circumstances in Lakerland.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:

MJ isn't the consensus GOAT, though. You can make a strong case for a handful of other players, with Cap and Magic spearheading that list. Magic was Finals MVP as a rookie, he went to 9 Finals for crying out loud and he was the one (along with Bird) who saved the league when it was at its lowest point. 6/6 and scoring doesn't outweigh that as easily as some would have it, especially when the other guy went to 3 more Finals.

you do realize that Jordan purposely left the NBA after 3 (or was it 4) rings for 2 years of baseball only to come back and play and win more championships. if he hadn't left, what makes you think he couldn't have made more finals or won more championships?

also, he chose to retire when he felt he couldn't compete at the highest level (which is still higher than most every player) and only came back to try to revive the Wizards franchise. he didn't seem to care about how many points he scored so picking out stats like final fours or career points is bogus when you are judging Jordan.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
at the notion that Jordan "single-handedly revolutionized the game", and that no one passed the torched to him. He was great, and arguably the greatest, but he's also the single most well-marketed athlete in the history of sports, and played in a perfect time where there was enough exposure via SportsCenter and other vehicles, but not over-exposed/scrutinized in an era of social media. Good grief are the remembrances of him nauseating.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Kobe pass him in the next game or two. Wish it was happening under better circumstances in Lakerland.

Do you think Lebron is at a relative disadvantage with the over exposure in an era of social media? I'd say he's a beneficiary.

The fact that we're excited about Kobe meeting and exceeding MJ in the points race isn't helping fight that image. Not nearly as much fanfare when it came to passing Wilt, Julius or Moses.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe will be pumped for this...has been looking forward to this moment since he touched a basketball.

Maybe a little too pumped and gets off to a bad shooting start, but he will get right and finish with something like 13-28 FG 35 pts 3 ast 5 reb
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Kobe at buzzer to break record and for the win crowd goes nuts
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: