OFFICIAL Kobe Play Discussion and P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe on his game last night.

angrypuppy wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
"Look, man. I think the most important thing is to understand the relentlessness that you have to play with," Bryant said.

"I'll go out there and I'll leave it on the floor, everything, and compete and be relentless and not be fearful of criticism or fearful of not playing well and missing shots.

"And that's the same way I want the guys to play -- Jeremy [Lin] in particular. Because he's a really good player, man. And he's just getting used to playing with that [expletive] attitude.

"Can I shoulder the load and these minutes consistently? Probably not. But every now and then it will be necessary."

Kobe is Boss.

You might want to contrast those quotes with what Lebron James said last night after he contributed just 11 points in a losing effort to Portland:

Quote:
"We have to understand what it takes to win. It's going to be a long process. There's been a lot of losing basketball around here for a few years," James said.

What about it? It was Waiters/Irving chucking up shots mainly because they have been first or second options on a lottery team. They need to adjust to a new role.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

Lots of those misses came with contact on driving plays with no calls from the refs while Isaiah Thomas gets the calls on same contact. I'd like to see less of those long two pointers though. He was short on a few. Kobe was really playing his heart out to get us a win. We shouldn't be playing him too many minutes or risk getting hurt again. Hope to see him pass mj in points soon!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:
I'd rather him not shoot 37 times.

So who do you want to shoot if the team not scoring. Damn if he does and damn if he does not. LOL the kobe haters never rest....

Why do some people think that any criticism of a player's performance = hater?

Most of us here love Kobe. We just think that he would have been better off passing to the open man in some of those possessions.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I don't think there should be a set number of times that someone shoot the ball, and I adore the relentlessness with which he plays. I don't have some fundamental issue with him taking 37 shots.

There are, however, times where he draws a ton of attention from the defense, teammates are wide open, and he instead takes a very difficult shot. To answer the rhetorical question of who on this team I'd rather have shooting the ball than Kobe...the answer is everyone, if they're wide open and he's heavily contested.

Exactly. Kobe was understandably frustrated last game and took it upon himself too much. Need better ball movement next time and everyone taking shots within the flow. Of course, when there is 5 sec left and offense broken, Kobe should take the shot.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe on his game last night.

"Look, man. I think the most important thing is to understand the relentlessness that you have to play with," Bryant said.

"I'll go out there and I'll leave it on the floor, everything, and compete and be relentless and not be fearful of criticism or fearful of not playing well and missing shots.

"And that's the same way I want the guys to play -- Jeremy [Lin] in particular. Because he's a really good player, man. And he's just getting used to playing with that [expletive] attitude.

"Can I shoulder the load and these minutes consistently? Probably not. But every now and then it will be necessary."

Kobe is Boss.

from what i saw last night, they all gave it all and left it all on the floor. (except boozer). like lin said when asked about kobe "giving it his all" - "i gave my all too, and other teammates did as well".

yes, at times the team needs to show more fight in them but last night wasn't one of those. last night was about playing smart. kobe was relentless and competed hard, but so did his teammates. he was relentless but he wasn't playing smart. relentlessly attacking doesn't mean jacking shots each and every time you touch the ball. when you attack like that, the defense will leave open man all over the floor, and he needs to recognize that and trust his teammates to help him attack the opposing D.

it's in kobe's nature to want to do it all himself, and that's what made him great. but the team is at its best when he can recognize open teammates and empower them by trusting them.

but mainly, the defense was bad. they were trying, but weren't playing smart defense as a team. kobe gambled a bit early on gave dragic open looks and layups. and PnR D, just awful - and i'm looking squarely at you, boozer. we really need some quality bigs.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

qiantom wrote:
Of course, when there is 5 sec left and offense broken, Kobe should take the shot.

And some fans even (bleep) about it when he misses in those situations. It's as if they would prefer a shot clock violation instead.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe on his game last night.

angrypuppy wrote:

Kobe is Boss.

You might want to contrast those quotes with what Lebron James said last night after he contributed just 11 points in a losing effort to Portland:

Quote:
"We have to understand what it takes to win. It's going to be a long process. There's been a lot of losing basketball around here for a few years," James said.

I'd love to have Cleveland's problems.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:

Lin nees to take some of those shots... He handles the ball enough to be able to take more shots. He dribbles too munch into nothing!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe on his game last night.

tirebiter wrote:

Kobe is Boss.

from what i saw last night, they all gave it all and left it all on the floor. (except boozer). like lin said when asked about kobe "giving it his all" - "i gave my all too, and other teammates did as well".

yes, at times the team needs to show more fight in them but last night wasn't one of those. last night was about playing smart. kobe was relentless and competed hard, but so did his teammates. he was relentless but he wasn't playing smart. relentlessly attacking doesn't mean jacking shots each and every time you touch the ball. when you attack like that, the defense will leave open man all over the floor, and he needs to recognize that and trust his teammates to help him attack the opposing D.

it's in kobe's nature to want to do it all himself, and that's what made him great. but the team is at its best when he can recognize open teammates and empower them by trusting them.

but mainly, the defense was bad. they were trying, but weren't playing smart defense as a team. kobe gambled a bit early on gave dragic open looks and layups. and PnR D, just awful - and i'm looking squarely at you, boozer. we really need some quality bigs.

We must have watched different games. I saw Lin fumble around before throwing up prayer shots numerous times. He might have given it his all, but his all doesn't include the ability to create his own shot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:

Lin nees to take some of those shots... He handles the ball enough to be able to take more shots. He dribbles too munch into nothing!

You're not you when you're hungry.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:

tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

magickobe24 wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:
and you would rather see boozer blow 37 layups? or lin hold the ball until the shot clock runs out? which one would you rather see?

i'd rather see the ball move and come back to kobe for an easier, higher percentage shot. or drawing triple team and kick out to lin/wes who has shown that they can hit the spot up 3.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:

Lin has an open invitation to take shots from him. What's he waiting for?

No one takes shots from Kobe.

Plus, it's beside the point. Kobe's shot selection is horrific.

Both he and Lin need to figure out better ways to get Kobe the ball in a better position to score.

Maybe in the post. Maybe Kobe can try not standing on the perimeter and waving his hands in the air for the ball and cut, or the team can set screens for Kobe to run through to catch/shoot, etc.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

its the same BS every time. the supporting cast is NOT trash. but if you let them wondering around not getting involved on the offensive end like Kobe's teammates have been doing during down years, then of course, they would look horrible. you have to get the supporting cast going at start of the game, i can't remember how many times i need to stress that. teams nowadays would just doubling Kobe whenever he gets the ball, i'd take chances on Lin, Ellington, Boozer or Hill to score a basket than Kobe does that contested fall away with 3 bodies on him. it's such a demoralizing play in a game of team sports. Kobe was able to get by during his prime, but he's not at that age any more.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Kobe is trying to make a statement to his teamates. I hope they can respond to what he is trying to say.

In effect he's trying to piss them off to draw out some more aggression from them. I'm not sure their mental makeup will respond to that kind of motivation, but if they do, look out! This team will indeed be gritty
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:

Yep, he has to take the initiative...I see too many times where he just dumps the ball to Jordan Hill or Boozer and the other team is fine with that. If he wants to be the #2 option he has to shoot the ball.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I don't think there should be a set number of times that someone shoot the ball, and I adore the relentlessness with which he plays. I don't have some fundamental issue with him taking 37 shots.

There are, however, times where he draws a ton of attention from the defense, teammates are wide open, and he instead takes a very difficult shot. To answer the rhetorical question of who on this team I'd rather have shooting the ball than Kobe...the answer is everyone, if they're wide open and he's heavily contested.
start naming the times when teammates who wont blow layups or will actually shoot were wide open in a spot where they can score? I'll wait.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe on his game last night.

ringfinger wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Kobe is Boss.

Quote:

I'd love to have Cleveland's problems.

I KNEW IT!!!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
its the same BS every time. the supporting cast is NOT trash. but if you let them wondering around not getting involved on the offensive end like Kobe's teammates have been doing during down years, then of course, they would look horrible. you have to get the supporting cast going at start of the game, i can't remember how many times i need to stress that. teams nowadays would just doubling Kobe whenever he gets the ball, i'd take chances on Lin, Ellington, Boozer or Hill to score a basket than Kobe does that contested fall away with 3 bodies on him. it's such a demoralizing play in a game of team sports. Kobe was able to get by during his prime, but he's not at that age any more.

That's ridiculous. When you look at this roster, you only find one player who MIGHT start for another team and that Lin. The team is a D league team as presently constructed. Your hatred for Kobe can't change that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

It's exhausting to watch as a fan, I can't imagine what it's like to be in there. There was one possession, in the second half I believe, where Kobe had the ball, dribbled a bit, and pulled up for a long 2. He missed short, and got his own rebound. He had no intention of resetting the offense. He was just going to go at it again. And it was dribble, dribble, back down, back down, turn and shoot. At least he got fouled, but that's really beside the point.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
incorrect. its not the same bs.

These guys are blowing layups or not shooting at all. how many chances do you give these guys when non of them are rookies? Oh, if lin was more aggressive with his overall offense(setting up the offense, scoring, penetrating and dishing.) kobe wouldnt even have the ball enough times to chuck 37 shots. this is what people are forgetting. This is not the triangle where kobe is supposed to be the primary ball handler. its made for Jlin to go to work. but he wont(at least not on a nightly basis. thats now kobe's fault too?

Last edited by magickobe24 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
the supporting cast is NOT trash.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

The voice of reason here. I'm not condemning or applauding Kobe for his effort last night. He singlehandedly kept the team within striking distance but the rest of the team became spectators because they knew was not passing them the ball.

I'm just concerned that Scott is willing to let Kobe play that many minutes and shoulder that much of the scoring burden. There are so many jumps/shots left in his body and he's burning it on nights like last night.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:

Lin has an open invitation to take shots from him. What's he waiting for?

No one takes shots from Kobe.

Plus, it's beside the point. Kobe's shot selection is horrific.

Both he and Lin need to figure out better ways to get Kobe the ball in a better position to score.

Maybe in the post. Maybe Kobe can try not standing on the perimeter and waving his hands in the air for the ball and cut, or the team can set screens for Kobe to run through to catch/shoot, etc.

Maybe, but not last night. I don't think he took a single shot where he didn't have a good look by his standards. He gets the calls he deserves and he shoots 50% from the field and the Lakers win the game.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

It's exhausting to watch as a fan, I can't imagine what it's like to be in there. There was one possession, in the second half I believe, where Kobe had the ball, dribbled a bit, and pulled up for a long 2. He missed short, and got his own rebound. He had no intention of resetting the offense. He was just going to go at it again. And it was dribble, dribble, back down, back down, turn and shoot. At least he got fouled, but that's really beside the point.

No, that's really the point in a nutshell. He's doing what he has always done. If his teammates are aggressive, go for it and prepare to make plays, he gets them the ball. If they aren't and won't, then he goes into crazy maniacal mode. They have to either step up or step the (bleep) off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 2 of 115
Jump to: