Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

The NBA is unveiling a number of experimental rule changes in the D League.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/05/d-league-makes-it-official-league-will-allow-coachs-challenge-among-other-rules-experiments/

Quote:
The coach’s challenge enables NBA D-League coaches to initiate instant replay review of referee calls of personal or shooting fouls, including offensive fouls, as well as those plays that have been identified as triggers for instant replay. Violations such as traveling and palming may not be challenged, nor can continuations or act-of-shooting determinations.

To initiate a challenge, a coach must call a timeout and immediately signal to the referees that a play is being challenged. The referees will then review the event in question and determine whether to uphold or change the original call. The challenging team will retain its timeout if the challenge is successful and will lose its timeout if it is unsuccessful. Teams will be granted one challenge during regulation and another challenge in each overtime period.

This could be a mess. There would not be much time for a coach to decide whether to challenge a call, so you could see a scenario in which one team hustles up to the free throw line, while the other team lollygags around. You'll have some of the more egotistical players demanding that the coach burn a TO to challenge a foul call, then pouting when the coach waves them off. Also, it sounds like this would not apply to no-calls, since a coach cannot call a timeout to challenge the play unless his team has the ball.

Still, it's a worthy experiment. Even if it sucks, we'll at least know for sure that it sucks.

Quote:
The “advance” rule — once in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, a team can advance the ball for a half-court throw-in (after a made basket or the ball going out-of-bounds off the opponent) without having to call a time out. Teams can also substitute in this window. Right now coaches save a couple of time outs to use in the final minutes of a game so they can advance the ball and get the players they want on the court, often the coaches draw up a play in there. Now once per game they don’t have to call a timeout (and slow the game down) to do it.

I'm fine with this, if we get rid of the timeouts, too. Otherwise, they're just adding a couple real 20-second timeouts (as opposed to the fake 20-second timeouts that last about 60 seconds in the current game). The endless stop-and-start of the last two minutes of close games is one of the things that turns off a lot of people, especially casual fans.

Quote:
The “away from the ball foul” rule, which is designed to thwart the “hack-a-whoever” strategy. Right now players such as the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan and Rockets’ Dwight Howard (among others) may just get fouled and sent to the line because they struggle to knock down the two free throws. Under the new rule the coach of the fouled team can send any player on the court to the line for one of those free throws. That essentially makes it highly likely one of the shots gets made, which makes employing the “hack” strategy far less attractive.

I'd leave this alone. It isn't enough of a problem to justify a rule change. Besides, if Shaq and Dwight and DeAndre can't ever figure out how to make free throws, maybe there should be a price to pay for it.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

Only one of those i dont like is the advance rule, i actually like the international rule which prevents live ball timeouts as well.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

Quote:
The “away from the ball foul” rule, which is designed to thwart the “hack-a-whoever” strategy. Right now players such as the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan and Rockets’ Dwight Howard (among others) may just get fouled and sent to the line because they struggle to knock down the two free throws. Under the new rule the coach of the fouled team can send any player on the court to the line for one of those free throws. That essentially makes it highly likely one of the shots gets made, which makes employing the “hack” strategy far less attractive.

Harden would average 40pts a game with this rule
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

oliverginob wrote:
Quote:

yes because people will hack dwight knowing that james will take the free throws
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Don't like changing the hack rule. I actually like seeing that occur, even when it was against us. If you can't make a FT, you should be penalized for it in whatever form it takes, which in this case is hacking them to get back into a game.

Like the other rules, especially the timeout one (advancing w/o timeouts) but I think reality is teams really do use the time to also set up a play and not just to advance the ball.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The NBA is unveiling a number of experimental rule changes in the D League.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/05/d-league-makes-it-official-league-will-allow-coachs-challenge-among-other-rules-experiments/

Quote:
The coach’s challenge enables NBA D-League coaches to initiate instant replay review of referee calls of personal or shooting fouls, including offensive fouls, as well as those plays that have been identified as triggers for instant replay. Violations such as traveling and palming may not be challenged, nor can continuations or act-of-shooting determinations.

To initiate a challenge, a coach must call a timeout and immediately signal to the referees that a play is being challenged. The referees will then review the event in question and determine whether to uphold or change the original call. The challenging team will retain its timeout if the challenge is successful and will lose its timeout if it is unsuccessful. Teams will be granted one challenge during regulation and another challenge in each overtime period.

This could be a mess. There would not be much time for a coach to decide whether to challenge a call, so you could see a scenario in which one team hustles up to the free throw line, while the other team lollygags around. You'll have some of the more egotistical players demanding that the coach burn a TO to challenge a foul call, then pouting when the coach waves them off. Also, it sounds like this would not apply to no-calls, since a coach cannot call a timeout to challenge the play unless his team has the ball.

Still, it's a worthy experiment. Even if it sucks, we'll at least know for sure that it sucks.

Quote:
The “advance” rule — once in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, a team can advance the ball for a half-court throw-in (after a made basket or the ball going out-of-bounds off the opponent) without having to call a time out. Teams can also substitute in this window. Right now coaches save a couple of time outs to use in the final minutes of a game so they can advance the ball and get the players they want on the court, often the coaches draw up a play in there. Now once per game they don’t have to call a timeout (and slow the game down) to do it.

I'm fine with this, if we get rid of the timeouts, too. Otherwise, they're just adding a couple real 20-second timeouts (as opposed to the fake 20-second timeouts that last about 60 seconds in the current game). The endless stop-and-start of the last two minutes of close games is one of the things that turns off a lot of people, especially casual fans.

Quote:

I'd leave this alone. It isn't enough of a problem to justify a rule change. Besides, if Shaq and Dwight and DeAndre can't ever figure out how to make free throws, maybe there should be a price to pay for it.

I agree that the game suffers more if a coach can send any free-thrower to the line; the rule change covers up a team weakness rather than rewards the fouling team's savvy move. Leave it be.
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Hack a Shaq was ugly to watch, but it's a smart play. Learn to shoot.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Experimental Rule Changes Unveiled in the D League

Telleris wrote:
oliverginob wrote:
Quote:

yes because people will hack dwight knowing that james will take the free throws

still a very high chance of being 1 point instead of 2 tho. I guess combined they are equal to a high 60s to low 70s % shooter which is still not great
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: