Adam Silver on Tanking

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Adam Silver on Tanking

This is from an article about the Sixers. Most of the article is just a rehash of the controversy surrounding the Sixers' aggressive approach to tanking. The interesting part was that Adam Silver actually commented:

Quote:
“I hate what’s going on in Philly,” [Larry Brown] told The Philadelphia Inquirer. “They don’t have a basketball person in the organization. It makes me sick to my stomach.”

In an email, N.B.A. Commissioner Adam Silver dismissed Brown’s nausea, saying: “First of all, no team goes on the court trying to lose games. What’s sometimes labeled tanking in our league is, in my view, more accurately described as rebuilding. Unfortunately, rebuilding a team is not easy in any league and takes time and careful planning.”

But he added: “I am concerned by the often cited conventional wisdom that finishing at the bottom (in order to acquire better draft picks) presents the only reliable path for some teams to build a championship roster. The draft is structured to help the teams with the worst records, but it’s an imperfect system. In fact, many top picks do not transform their teams.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/sports/basketball/beneath-a-pile-of-losses-the-philadelphia-76ers-seek-victory.html?_r=1

It's interesting both as spin doctoring and as an indication of what is being said behind the scenes in connection with the failed attempt at lottery reform.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on Tanking

Quote:
Unfortunately, rebuilding a team is not easy in any league and takes time and careful planning.”

Boy does it
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on Tanking

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, rebuilding a team is not easy in any league and takes time and careful planning.”

Boy does it

Especially when your league blocks you from legitimately trying to get better.

!...
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

the fact that he doesn't see tanking as a problem is a bit disconcerting. Isn't he trying to put the best product out on the floor?
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

he knows tanking is the only way to get a team out of the gutter. league needs to see teams like Celtics, Sixers back to where they used to be and tanking is the only way.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

You wanna stop tanking, get rid of the salary cap. And let teams pay for what is out there. NBA players, difference makers are few and far between. You can not draft a guy in the 2nd round and have him turn into Lebron James or Kobe Bryant like in the NFL or MLB where you can draft Tom Brady in the 6th round, etc.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Also, if you do not have a top 5 pick on your team, you arent winning anything. Detroit was an anomaly as rare as a no hitter in a playoff game. Heck, even that team had Chauncey who was a 3rd overall pick.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Also, if you do not have a top 5 pick on your team, you arent winning anything. Detroit was an anomaly as rare as a no hitter in a playoff game. Heck, even that team had Chauncey who was a 3rd overall pick.

Rasheed Wallace was also a top 5 pick.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Darko was a top 2 pick. *cough*
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
he knows tanking is the only way to get a team out of the gutter. league needs to see teams like Celtics, Sixers back to where they used to be and tanking is the only way.

And that's a problem. As is saying they aren't tanking, when he knows they are, and so does everyone else.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

And that's a problem. As is saying they aren't tanking, when he knows they are, and so does everyone else.

it's lawyer speak, they're not tanking because what people perceive as tanking and what tanking is aren't the same thing, but also given the vote on the lottery changes, his job is to represent that.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Darko was a top 2 pick. *cough*

That pick cost the Pistons the 2005 finals and probably 2006. Dynasty destroyer.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

Rebuilding/tanking/restructurimg or whatever they want to call it doesn't bother me. The Lakers are probably one of the top 2 or 3 offenders right now. It made no sense to sign expensive guys to long term deals for minimal short term gain if it was going to get in the way of signing a real superstar later.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
league needs to see teams like Celtics, Sixers back to where they used to be and tanking is the only way.

I used to believe that but not anymore. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics,Knicks and Sixers aren't the ones constantly in financial trouble and threatening to move or sell. It's the smaller market teams the NBA is trying to prop up and, so far, they're doing a good job of it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
24 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

it's lawyer speak, they're not tanking because what people perceive as tanking and what tanking is aren't the same thing, but also given the vote on the lottery changes, his job is to represent that.

No, lawyer speak or not, the team is actively and directly trying to lose as many games as possible. If I take your clothes, hose youndown with water, and throw you outside in the arctic in mid winter, just because I don't tell you to freeze to death doesn't change the idea that that's exactly what I expect to happen.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Silver on Tanking

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The interesting part was that Adam Silver actually commented:

Quote:

In an email, N.B.A. Commissioner Adam Silver added: “I am concerned by the often cited conventional wisdom that finishing at the bottom (in order to acquire better draft picks) presents the only reliable path for some teams to build a championship roster. The draft is structured to help the teams with the worst records, but it’s an imperfect system. In fact, many top picks do not transform their teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/sports/basketball/beneath-a-pile-of-losses-the-philadelphia-76ers-seek-victory.html?_r=1

I put in boldface the most important information in the article, which everyone else here seems to have missed.
It's not entirely true, of course. Instead of "many", he should have said "most". But aside from that he is correct.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: