NLRB charges Knicks owner James Dolan with breaking federal labor laws

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: NLRB charges Knicks owner James Dolan with breaking federal labor laws

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/08/new-york-knicks-james-dolan-cablevision-labor-union

Quote:
NLRB charges Knicks owner James Dolan with breaking federal labor laws

James Dolan charged with breaking federal labor laws
New York Knicks owner James Dolan is being charged by the National Labor Relations board with breaking federal labor laws, according to the New York Times.

The National Labor Relations Board has charged Knicks owner James Dolan with breaking federal labor laws.

According to The New York Times, the NLRB says Dolan, who is the CEO of the New York-area telecommunications company Cablevision, threatened to withhold pay increases from his company's technicians in Brooklyn if they did not vote to quit their union.

The NLRB also alleges that Dolan's company undermined the union "by sponsoring a nonbinding poll to determine whether [the technicians] wanted to leave their union," according to the Times.

Dolan told the Times that the NLRB accepted the union's claims before reading all of Cablevision's response.

Dolan, 59, replaced his father, Charles, as CEO of Cablevision in 1995. He also owns Madison Square Garden, the NHL's New York Rangers and the MSG Network, which broadcasts Knicks and Rangers games.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

It has been years since I consulted within the industry, but back in the day the technicians never really had much clout. Many of them were seasonal employees or contractors who owned a van and stocked it with the cable company goods: receiver boxes, cables, tools and such. Almost half of them were "snow birds" who would flee to Florida once the cold set in. Perhaps that might explain the timing of this charge as this is the time of year that Cablevision is most vulnerable to full time, permanent employee technician demands.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

If I ever want to think of the few positives there are to having Jim Buss as part of ownership, I think of the Knicks and James Dolan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Why do I sense the league ending up forcing Dolan out with a new group figureheaded by Jackson in?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Why do I sense the league ending up forcing Dolan out with a new group figureheaded by Jackson in?

The thing is Dolan owns Cablevision, so I don't think the league would ever take that drastic step. Not to mention he owns a couple of sports properties including MSG. He has way more power than Donald T. Sterling.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: