Reggie Jackson being blasted by teammates for selfishness; says he "doesn't play for the fans."
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reggie Jackson being blasted by teammates for selfishness; says he "doesn't play for the fans."

Just put this here as he's a possible free agent target and found this interesting. Enjoy and leave your thoughts below.

Quote:
OKC Thunder stars lash out at Reggie Jackson

Reggie Jackson made it clear before the season that he wanted to be a starter for the Oklahoma City Thunder, but with Russell Westbrook on the team, that wasn’t going to happen.

With Westbrook out with an injury until the end of November however, Jackson has been able to get some starting time, but it turns out that some of his teammates actually aren't too happy about it.

SELFISH PLAY

In fact, some of them even resorted to stop passing him the ball after he became so selfish.

IBAKA AND PERKINS UNHAPPY

Jackson played in his first game of the season Monday against the Brooklyn Nets and he led the team with 23 points, but teammates Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka weren’t happy with what seemed to be a one-man mentality. Jackson took 20 shots and while he had five assists, he had seven turnovers and five fouls.

Due to his selfish play, Perkins and Ibaka began freezing out Jackson, not passing him the ball even after rebounds where they elected to take the ball up the court on their own.

After the game, Jackson was criticized by Thunder coach Scott Brooks for not passing the ball more, and Perkins spoke out about the way he himself played.

“Just let the game come to you,” Perkins said about Jackson.

When asked about how fans might respond to Reggie Jackson’s selfish play, he said he didn’t really care about what the fans said.

“I don’t play for the fans so I’m not worried,” Jackson said. “As long as my teammates know that my heart’s in the right spot, that I’m trying to do everything I can to go out there and compete and help my teammates and that we’re all trying to rally and get a win, that’s all I care about. Some fans are going to cheer you on. Some fans aren’t going to do so. They’re going to criticize you. That’s how the world works. So I’m not really worried about it.”
http://www.givemesport.com/519995-okc-thunder-stars-lash-out-at-reggie-jackson

He needs to think less about that big contract he wants and being a starter, and take lessons on maturity and how to deal with the media. Getting frozen out by your teammates during your 2nd game back or so is not a good sign, nor is how he responded to the criticism though he probably meant it differently than he worded it.

But being that he's a potential free agent the Lakers may go after, I thought it was a topic worth discussing. If the OKC media can get this kind of stuff out of him, I'd shutter to think what the Los Angeles media would do. Part of it has to do with being 24 and the immaturity therein, but I don't want to keep hearing the "Demarcus Cousins he's only (insert age)" excuse we heard for years.

So, he needs to work on that maturity and fix things with his teammates. However given the way he is playing now, it makes it seem like he's just playing to get his trade value up for that contract after the season. This isn't the way to do it.

It's his first REAL problem I've read about (aside from the eye test), but it's worthy of discussing. So what do you guys(and gals) think?

Something or nothing?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

This comes also after he made these comments

Quote:
In the final hours of those failed negotiations, Yahoo! Sports reported that Jackson is determined to find a starting role in restricted free agency next summer. The report went on to say that Jackson could command a salary in the $13 million to $14 million range.

At a shootaround before the Thunder’s home opener last Saturday, Jackson even hinted that he might not call Oklahoma City home for much longer when he said he is “just trying to play my role while I’m here.”

That comment went largely unnoticed by most.

But Jackson already had said enough to turn local supporters into skeptics.

All benefit of the doubt for Jackson, however, appears to be gone.
Some have determined that he doesn’t want to be here and have braced themselves for that perceived desire to become a problem.

Now, whether fair or not, Jackson will be criticized at the slightest sign of selfish play. Any possession that ends without Jackson making a pass is liable to be deemed stat-padding. Any forced shot could be seen as money-seeking selfishness.
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-reggie-jackson-says-enough-to-turn-supporters-into-skeptics/article/5364423/?page=2

So not good timing nor a good look on any fronts at the moment.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

It brings down my opinion of him as a player, but if it drives down his value enough, it still may be worth it to sign him to an Isaiah Thomas-type deal.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
It brings down my opinion of him as a player, but if it drives down his value enough, it still may be worth it to sign him to an Isaiah Thomas-type deal.

yeah he's really really not endearing himself professionally right now and we've seen people that 'check out' before. I don't like he's showing this on the Thunder during a time they desperately need his production to keep things level while Westbrook and Durant are out. It's really his chance to step up and show how he can lead a team..and...he's blowing it thus far, not on the court only but how he's conducting himself in the locker room and with the media

Quote:
Jackson hasn’t exactly endeared himself to teammates or fans in the time he’s been in Oklahoma City (at least early this season). He’s shooting just 35.3 percent from the field and although he’s averaging 9.5 assists in his two games, he’s also at 5.5 turnovers and 5.0 fouls per game. The Thunder don’t have better options right now, which is why they don’t have much recourse.

It’s not like Jackson is helping himself, either. This is what he had to say about his game and the current state of the team:

(the quote above about not caring)

If I’m a part of the Thunder organization, I view that as yet another bad shot taken (pun intended). Talking as if he’s on his way out isn’t the way to conduct yourself and it doesn’t scream “professional” to me. Maybe he’ll get what he wants — but who on earth wants to get away from Durant and Westbrook?

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/11/07/thunder-news-reggie-jackson-frozen/

He's talking very recklessly as if the Thunder have no choice, and in actuality they really don't, not with Westbrook and Durant hurt. So now would have been the time to show his maturity.. but it seems he's headed the opposite way. Which is a shame, if it keeps up as all eyes are on him right now.

How he's conducting himself when he knows the Thunder really have no choice but to stick with him, is disappointing, to say the least.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject:

Do it.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:

Lin is also in his contract year. Comparing the two approaches - some people actually think Lin doesn't mind not starting but that is so far from the truth. He just keeps his emotions to himself better than the other guy. From a PG, do you want a selfish player to a team first player? Interesting.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

On an equally offensively deprived team he is taking 18 shots and is the only guy on that team able to create for himself. So Perkins wants more shots? Please.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

The more I read about him I would pass. R Jax has upside as a scoring PG but I would rather have a pass 1st pg to play alongside Randle and top 5 pick. It wasn't just Perk but Ibaka also called him a ball hog. If he gets that big contract he'll start to think it's his team. I want Randle and Okafor to eat 1st, that would be a problem with Jackson at PG.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

Phillycheese wrote:
Lin is also in his contract year. Comparing the two approaches - some people actually think Lin doesn't mind not starting but that is so far from the truth. He just keeps his emotions to himself better than the other guy. From a PG, do you want a selfish player to a team first player? Interesting.

From Reggie, you want him to be more like a PG. He can make big plays when needed, he has the confidence and plays good D. But if he isn't getting guys the ball when open enough, then team mates won't be happy.

From Lin, you want more shot attempts and look for his shot more. Sometimes he forces getting others the ball or lets a dominant player, like a Kobe, take over. You want him to create shots for others and at times for himself. He's been good at getting to the line but hesitant about facilitating at times.

It comes down to the over- or under- confident guy, the at times me-first player or the sometimes too much of a team-player.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
On an equally offensively deprived team he is taking 18 shots and is the only guy on that team able to create for himself. So Perkins wants more shots? Please.

I am befuddled. How can Jackson ignore an offensive juggernaut like Perkins?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

Not sure if the reports on what he's seeking for as far as salary are true but 14-15M is ludicrous for him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

Not sure if Jackson is as big a problem as his teammates are making him sound. They aren't used to losing. The team is configured to have two dominant scorers plus three defensive players with complimentary skills. The biggest net negative on the court is Perkins as he's useless unless the opposing team has an offensive threat at center.

The league is stacked with scoring PGs. If there is a problem, it should be addressed by Scott Brooks, not by Perkins and Ibaka. Maybe Jackson should be looking for his teammates more, but then maybe Brooks should be adjusting roles and line ups (including the further reduction of Perkins' limited minutes) as a stop gap measure until the scorers return.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

I hope RJax is playing himself out of okc and to the Lakers. I like that swagger, his ability to create and his athleticism.

Who else is complaining? Lamb (pot head)? Perry jones 3 (underachiever)? Etc. I mean these guys play with Russell Westbrook. It's really a case of "why am I not the leader" syndrome.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

you will never win anything with a selfish Pg, hope we dont go after him.

Rondo>
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

For those supporting Kobe's prolific shooting on the basis of "who else is there" line of thought, what's the difference with RJax? More shots for perkins and Steven Adams?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3PEK4N-2Ek

^^^^^^ Lets get this guy!
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

Did he watch Rocky 4 before this?

Link

Bye.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope RJax is playing himself out of okc and to the Lakers. I like that swagger, his ability to create and his athleticism.

Who else is complaining? Lamb (pot head)? Perry jones 3 (underachiever)? Etc. I mean these guys play with Russell Westbrook. It's really a case of "why am I not the leader" syndrome.

At the price he wants though (again if true)...I wouldn't take him.

12-14? Git da fug outta here RJ.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

It is definitely something for any team who is considering him to evaluate. It sounds like he has a 6th man mentality while being a starter. We will see in time if he adapts more to being a starter.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

i really wish i can play with perkins and watch him rage as i never pass him the ball.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

It isn't just Perkins. It's Ibaka too.

There's swagger and then there's stupidity.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

The Thunder loves to demonize its players through the media in order to drive their price down when they see a contract dispute incoming.

MJST wrote:
It isn't just Perkins. It's Ibaka too.

There's swagger and then there's stupidity.

Not really sure being Ibaka makes it worse, that guy's personality type is whiny (bleep), always has been, always will be.

Reggie's averaging 9apg since coming back from injury, which isn't too bad for a selfish guy... The problem with OKC's players are they're spoiled, they're too used to being able to stand around and have things handed on a platter, Reggie isn't Kevin or Russ, he can't create assist opportunities by having defenses collapse on him allowing stand catch and shoot, they need to move and well, it's Reggie's fault if he's not doing that for them (they had similar moaning last year when Russell was out)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
The Thunder loves to demonize its players through the media in order to drive their price down when they see a contract dispute incoming.

Problem is, no one made Reggie say the things he said.

He didn't have to say things that can be construed as him just checking out "while he's here.". Nobody made him go on twitter and complain and then delete his tweet. Nobody made him say he doesn't play for the fans.

There's only so much the Thunder can do to you if you keep your mouth shut but he's giving them the ammo thus far and that is on him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Problem is, no one made Reggie say the things he said.

He didn't have to say things that can be construed as him just checking out "while he's here.". Nobody made him go on twitter and complain and then delete his tweet. Nobody made him say he doesn't play for the fans.

There's only so much the Thunder can do to you if you keep your mouth shut but he's giving them the ammo thus far and that is on him.

Yeah, and I'm not sure what the Thunder organization has even said. It was Ibaka and Perkins. Unless one is to think that there is some nefarious plan between some players and the organization just to undermine RJ's future contract.

With that said, I have zero problems with his play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: