LAKERS -at- GRIZZLIES - 11-11-14 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Excellent read as always. Terrible officiating cost the Lakers this one imo. Terrible and one-sided. Bad combo. The Lakers should have been working from a lead that last minute, not a deficit.

Still I wasn't too upset - I like how the Lakers reeled Memphis in and didn't quit. I agree with Kobe they'll win games if they continue to play like they did last night.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Losing a competitive game like this is different than the blowouts a few games ago. Even though the result wasn't a W, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

They need to start out the game better. It seems like they put themselves in a hole every 1st quarter.
Yoki24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

They'll continue to be in early holes as long as Boozer is starting.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

The 5 point play and Wes Johnson non-call certainly didn't help our cause
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

In this tough loss I think that what's often forgotten by Lakers fans is that the Grizzlies are a damn good team.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

Evidence of BScott molding a new group of reject veterans and discarded high draft choices who have never won or played under the very bright lights of a high-profiled environment - never mind the brightest lights of Lakerland on the court with a first-ballot HOF is starting show.

The mental toughness/savvy of Steve Nash, excitement of Randall and ongoing injuries of X/Nash/RKelly/Randall (forcing BScott to play people at the end of his bench has made the process a slower one - though it provided opportunities for untested/unproven/unknown players to shine or sink.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

qiantom wrote:
They need to start out the game better. It seems like they put themselves in a hole every 1st quarter.

I don't recall them leading once this season to start the 1st....going to be hard to when games when you are always playing catch up.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
qiantom wrote:

I don't recall them leading once this season to start the 1st....going to be hard to when games when you are always playing catch up.

We lead the 1st quarter of GSW game
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Some observations:

As usual, the split action / corner set got them a ton of buckets, and they went exclusively to it down the stretch in the fourth. I would have been better if they didn't have to claw their way back into the game.

Price is better at getting his own buckets than doing anything PG related. Their Horns sets generally worked all night with the exception of when Price was initiating it, in which case it completely broke down or became a turnover.

The high screen rolls really didn't get going tonight, even with Davis/Lin, probably due to excellent Memphis defense.

They ran a ton of Princeton Chin action in the first half and barely any in the second. It wasn't really working because of the terrible screens the bigs were setting.

They tried to post Booz on Randolph a few times. Wasted possessions. Otherwise, he shot well.

They do pretty well attacking in transition and early offense, but halfcourt is usually a struggle outside of the two sets that do work. There was one stretch in the 3rd and early in the 4th that I had no idea what the heck they were running. It looked like pickup ball.

Kobe did his guarding the player with 20 foot of space thing on defense, which really messed things up for the Grizz O. It usually works against guys like Allen and Rondo, though you generally don't want to tempt anyone else with it.

They did a better job having Wes catch and shoot rather than try to do anything else. The one time he did try to create off the dribble, he predictably turned it over.

Byron said the same thing
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
That trip on Kobe cost us the game.

That was ridiculous. Those are almost always automatic fouls and tough break for the defender, but that seemed pretty obvious. Refs called one earlier in the game (gave the foul to Lin when it was Wes). Just bad officiating all night.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Some observations:

As usual, the split action / corner set got them a ton of buckets, and they went exclusively to it down the stretch in the fourth. I would have been better if they didn't have to claw their way back into the game.

This seems to be their bread and butter down the stretch as I mentioned. I wished it was a bit more nuanced, but Lin didn't seem like he was up for getting himself a look or two out of it.
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

1. I feel like the refs have decided that the Lakers are not good enough to deserve a call.

2. It looks like the Lakers are 95% of where they need to be to contend. That last 5% is always the hardest. I hope they keep their drive to improve.
shark-lin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

We keep getting behind..and it takes a lot of energy to come back. We need to stop falling behind early on...
KLS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

infinite-loop wrote:
1. I feel like the refs have decided that the Lakers are not good enough to deserve a call.

2. It looks like the Lakers are 95% of where they need to be to contend. That last 5% is always the hardest. I hope they keep their drive to improve.

If we had Ariza for Wes, we would have been a 50-50 team now. We are missing a sf who can shoot and defend. Ariza is the perfect. If he can give us 8-12 pts more than Wes per game, we would be contending for playoff.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Jives with what I saw too, the first chance I've had to see this roster play a real game. The most frustrating part was the differential felt in the comparative scoring ease. The Grizz guards (Udrih, Lee, Conley and Allen) seemed to score virtually at will without misses, and the Laker guards - not.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

KLS wrote:
infinite-loop wrote:

If we had Ariza for Wes, we would have been a 50-50 team now. We are missing a sf who can shoot and defend. Ariza is the perfect. If he can give us 8-12 pts more than Wes per game, we would be contending for playoff.

We'd be improved alright with Ariza, but I'm not sure we'd be .500 with him, and less sure he'd have helped last night. That three smallish guard Grizzly attack was brutally efficient.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: