Fully insured woman faces bankruptcy because she was taken to the wrong hospital
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Fully insured woman faces bankruptcy because she was taken to the wrong hospital

http://gawker.com/fully-insured-woman-faces-bankruptcy-after-being-taken-1657810810/all

The title says it all. This is why we need single payer. Our health-care system is broken. ACA is a drop in the bucket compared to what we need.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

we need to get rid of insurance companies. Let tax payer money cover medical costs for all... that's what the Scandinavian countries do and they are the healthiest countries in the world.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
we need to get rid of insurance companies. Let tax payer money cover medical costs for all... that's what the Scandinavian countries do and they are the healthiest countries in the world.

Yeah, insurance premiums have gone up even with the healthcare fixes. Unfortunately, the insurance companies have tons of money and are able to lobby our Congress to get bills passed not in the consumers interest so I doubt this will change.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

It's not just insurance companies. Insurance rates go up because hospitals are charging insane amounts of money for services.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
It's not just insurance companies. Insurance rates go up because hospitals are charging insane amounts of money for services.

And charging for services that never happened.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

that's what insurance companies want you to think. medical billing involves more than one party to overlook and see private medical institutions finances. if private doctors fraudulently charges more than what they should for services performed than they can get arrested.

insurance companies raises rates with no base what-so-ever. they don't take into consideration lives of the middle or poor classes.

medical insurance companies are (bleep) evil.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Yeah, insurance premiums have gone up even with the healthcare fixes. Unfortunately, the insurance companies have tons of money and are able to lobby our Congress to get bills passed not in the consumers interest so I doubt this will change.

vote republicans out of office
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

that's what insurance companies want you to think. medical billing involves more than one party to overlook and see private medical institutions finances. if private doctors fraudulently charges more than what they should for services performed than they can get arrested.

insurance companies raises rates with no base what-so-ever. they don't take into consideration lives of the middle or poor classes.

That is what is happening. Read an itemized bill and it would make you sick. I had major surgery a few years ago and spent a week in the hospital. When I got the bill I read all the items listed. Because I am a male, you could imagine my surprise to see that I had a pregancy test. I called my insurance company to let them know and was told not to worry about it and basically not to call them again. You can take what you want from that, but my take is that the insurance companies and hospitals are in cahoots to make large profits. Bring in government insurance and the government just changes places with the insurance company or becomes a third party in the profiteering.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

vote republicans out of office

And the Democrats who are also being paid by medical interests. That would include the President.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fully insured woman faces bankruptcy because she was taken to the wrong hospital

mhan00 wrote:
http://gawker.com/fully-insured-woman-faces-bankruptcy-after-being-taken-1657810810/all

The title says it all. This is why we need single payer. Our health-care system is broken. ACA is a drop in the bucket compared to what we need.

I wouldn't even call it a drop in the bucket. Its good in that it will help more disadvantaged people(poor, pre-existing condition, etc) become insured, and offer everyone a minimum amount of coverage, but it doesn't address the many problems in our health care system. In fact, its like injecting steroids into many of the inefficiency problems of our current system. The PPACA was passed with many of its backers preaching a lowering of healthcare spending, but its truly not possible to give so many people so many more services and not expect a large increase in healthcare spending. Hopefully a spotlight will be put on these inefficiencies over the next decade or two, eventually leading the majority of the population to the conclusion that a single payer system is the most efficient and beneficial.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

This is why I don't like ObamaCare. It was better than nothing, sure, but it's a far cry from single-payer and has demobilized the movement for actual healthcare reform.

It's a corporatist law designed by the Heritage Foundation and it cost us so much political capital to get it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

What we need are hospitals who display their prices upfront. Like the Surgery Center of Oklahoma does.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

that's what insurance companies want you to think.

Because it's true.

Quote:
medical billing involves more than one party to overlook and see private medical institutions finances. if private doctors fraudulently charges more than what they should for services performed than they can get arrested.

That's not what's happening.

Quote:

Not really.

A lot of the largest expenses aren't from doctors doing their jobs. It's from hospital expenses associated with care. The room. The drugs. Etc... All insane prices.

And it's not fraud. It's all accepted as the cost of doing business.

It's not uncommon to have a doctor charge $2500 for a small procedure and then have about $40,000 of hospital expenses tacked on from an overnight stay and a few pain killers.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/dignity-health-agrees-pay-37-million-settle-false-claims-act-allegations
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

And charging for services that never happened.

amen.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

that's what insurance companies want you to think.

Because it's true.

Quote:
medical billing involves more than one party to overlook and see private medical institutions finances. if private doctors fraudulently charges more than what they should for services performed than they can get arrested.

That's not what's happening.

Quote:

Not really.

A lot of the largest expenses aren't from doctors doing their jobs. It's from hospital expenses associated with care. The room. The drugs. Etc... All insane prices.

And it's not fraud. It's all accepted as the cost of doing business.

It's not uncommon to have a doctor charge $2500 for a small procedure and then have about $40,000 of hospital expenses tacked on from an overnight stay and a few pain killers.

that is happening

http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2014/05/14/16-doctors-among-90-arrested-in-Medicare-fraud-sweep

law enforcement are cracking down medical billing fraud. DOJ has been giving this crime more attention in the last 6 years than previous.

also. who is to determine the cost of doing business? there should be studies of what medical care procedures should cost the doctor/hospital and what it should cost the insurance company and what the insurance company should collect. This is why there is so much fraud in this system because it is easier to steal from the insurance company which the insurance company will justify by stealing from the consumer by raising there premiums.

Obamacare is great for seniors, children and people with pre-existing conditions but it too makes more money for the insurance company than hurting them

Cut the insurance companies out of this and have a Fully GoVT ran medical care system. where the GOvT will have more control on policing medical costs and all billing will go to Govt. the fed govt will establish a set of laws and standards for all medical procedures, care, and billing.

Like I said Insurance companies are evil... doctors who steal are just idiots

Last edited by 999 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The fact that she had cardiac arrest and almost died...I can't blame her, or the ambulance that took her. I think ideally things could stay the way they are, but that there should be something where if you are in a verifiable life-threatening emergency, there should be some way to work it out.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I like this explanation, which covers a lot of what's in this thread:

http://boingboing.net/2014/10/29/obamacare-what-it-is-what-it.html

As others have said, we need single-payer. Unfortunately, this need is not reflected in the way we vote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Hospitals need to be transparent about what they charge. They need a menu like a fast food restaurant or something. They should be required to post all their prices on their website too.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

If your country spends taxes to kill people in other countries why can't they spend money to save peoples lives in their own? What's the problem

We give billions and billions in foreign aid yet our own citizens can't have affordable health care?
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
What we need are hospitals who display their prices upfront. Like the Surgery Center of Oklahoma does.

interesting

sources?
LaZonaImagery
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
revgen wrote:

interesting

sources?

http://www.surgerycenterok.com/pricing/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

That is what is happening. Read an itemized bill and it would make you sick. I had major surgery a few years ago and spent a week in the hospital. When I got the bill I read all the items listed. Because I am a male, you could imagine my surprise to see that I had a pregancy test. I called my insurance company to let them know and was told not to worry about it and basically not to call them again. You can take what you want from that, but my take is that the insurance companies and hospitals are in cahoots to make large profits. Bring in government insurance and the government just changes places with the insurance company or becomes a third party in the profiteering.

Except that's not how single layer actually works.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

But Obamacare will fix this!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fully insured woman faces bankruptcy because she was taken to the wrong hospital

mhan00 wrote:

I agree that we need a single payer system for a variety of reasons but the Repubs are against it because they are only into big Government when it fits their desire to wage war or make social issues part of their effort to build a coalition of economic misfits. While the Dems are against it because the pharm companies and trial lawyers stand to lose big time under that system and the Dems take too much money from them to really push.

But in this case, as near as I read it, her insurer paid it's in Network rate as it would be required to since she was unstable for transfer and had to be taken to the closest hospital. The issue lies with the shear amount of uncovered expenses, not where they were provided.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: