Kobe Bryant admits he’s “jealous” of Tim Duncan’s stability in San Antonio (from article entitled: kobe-bryant-tim-duncan-on-different-paths-to-greatness-share-same-competitive-fire)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Kobe Bryant admits he’s “jealous” of Tim Duncan’s stability in San Antonio (from article entitled: kobe-bryant-tim-duncan-on-different-paths-to-greatness-share-same-competitive-fire)

Moderator Note: Quote was from original article in the Daily News entitiled:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20141113/kobe-bryant-tim-duncan-on-different-paths-to-greatness-share-same-competitive-fire

Kobe has a stance at some levels, blame at others.

It's my understanding the Lakers had around 96 million to add talent to the team and neglected to do it, fault Lakers.

Kobe had a chance to accept a lesser contract to add players to the roster, didn't do it, fault Kobe.

Duncan, Ginobili and Parker took less to keep a strong contender.

Basketball's a business, both management and players are in it for the money.

I find it difficult to place all blame on either. I give it 60 40 favor Kobe.

Edited to add link: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/kobe-bryant-admits-hes-jealous-of-tim-duncans-stability-in-san-antonio/

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quick translation: kobe (and a lot of us) miss Dr. Buss.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

This is just another disguised thread about kobe's contract. Get over it already lol.

If the Lakers had a Pop type as coach with Manu, TP, and Leonard all ready to re-sign Kobe probably would have taken less to keep them. The fact is the Lakers had no such infrastructure where it made sense for Kobe to take a huge cut. He was smart to take the money.

There was no one to take a paycut for. let it die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

The OP is such a kobe hater he forgot to post the link before adding his opinion.

Here's one for the masses

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/kobe-bryant-admits-hes-jealous-of-tim-duncans-stability-in-san-antonio/
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

Fact is San Antonio hasn't used their cap space at all. When was the last time they sign a player without Bird rights to a contract above the MLE? Most of their players have been drafted or signed to very small contracts. Yeah they haven't done (bleep) with cap space so those paycuts their stars have taken have not made the team better. It has all been so that the owner saves a penny here and there.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
This is just another disguised thread about kobe's contract. Get over it already lol.

If the Lakers had a Pop type as coach with Manu, TP, and Leonard all ready to re-sign Kobe probably would have taken less to keep them. The fact is the Lakers had no such infrastructure where it made sense for Kobe to take a huge cut. He was smart to take the money.

they took less because SAS can't afford to keep them all. all those players were drafted and developed by the Spurs, it's not like they take less so SPurs can sign a big time free agent or something. if the Spurs have the Lakers income, they would been able to pay them a higher salary.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Where is the disguise? Kobe's the one admitting to jealousy. He's jealous of the organization, not Duncan.

If you read it I said Kobe had a stance. I could have place more onus on management.

There's nothing to let die. If an article can't be posted about Kobe without you or others getting upset, so be it. Who has to "get over it?"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

Since the Mike Brown fiasco, I always felt that this would eventually become a problem.

It simply became worse with the hiring of MDA.

Players, systems, organizations, etc are creatures of habits. If the previous habits and systems were successful, you have to ask why change?

Well in this case, Jim Buss wanted to likely create his own legacy and brought in MDA to try to bring in showtime.

Result= Lakers is swept 4-0, did not make playoffs last year and will not make it again this year.

Basically, it has been pretty bad.

Kobe is speaking the truth. He misses Phil and Gasol because he had a good thing with these players. We WILL NOT to win every year but at least we compete and have a chance. And if we are lucky, we make the finals.

Kobe deserved to have that chance. Unfortunately the FO did not have foresight to understand it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The OP is such a kobe hater he forgot to post the link before adding his opinion.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/kobe-bryant-admits-hes-jealous-of-tim-duncans-stability-in-san-antonio/

You got one thing right, I forgot to post the link. Thank you. I did a edit.

You're 180 on the Kobe hater. You've been here long enough to know better.

Read, dissect, assimilate.

Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Since the Mike Brown fiasco, I always felt that this would eventually become a problem.

Players, systems, organizations, etc are creatures of habits. If the previous habits and systems were successful, you have to ask why change?

Well in this case, Jim Buss wanted to likely create his own legacy and brought in MDA to try to bring in showtime.

Result= Lakers is swept 4-0, did not make playoffs last year and will not make it again this year.

Kobe is speaking the truth. He misses Phil and Gasol because he had a good thing with these players. We WILL NOT to win every year but at least we compete and have a chance. And if we are lucky, we make the finals.

Kobe deserved to have that chance. Unfortunately the FO did not have foresight to understand it.

In 2011, the Lakers were swept 4-0 and Phil voluntarily retired. Something he had wanted to do the previous year but was talked out of it. The team was aging, Phil quit, and we are blaming the front office for not sticking to what was working??!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Fact is San Antonio hasn't used their cap space at all. When was the last time they sign a player without Bird rights to a contract above the MLE? Most of their players have been drafted or signed to very small contracts. Yeah they haven't done (bleep) with cap space so those paycuts their stars have taken have not made the team better. It has all been so that the owner saves a penny here and there.

That is because SA is afraid of the luxury tax, and were able to get their top players to subsidize the owner so he can have a bigger profit. In contrast, the Lakers have said screw the luxury tax, we will pay it and our players and win that way. Two different approaches, one in which the FO empowers the players and another where the players empower the FO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

I hope this isn't another "bash San Antonio" thread.

They run things a lot differently there and as Kobe rightfully pointed out, they don't have a $5b TV deal or the LA market.

They are indeed the flagship franchise for small markets and at least for the past 15 years, stand shoulder to shoulder with the Lakers as the best NBA franchise. Lakers have higher peaks but more valleys. Spurs are just consistently in the mix. It's a matter of preference.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

Moderator Note: Quote was from original article in the Daily News entitiled:
My edit is the intent of my post. It was not your addition. But thank you, it bolsters my posts intent.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

The simple answer to the bolded is that Phil walked away. Unlike him, Pop has not burned out or had medical issues that forced him to walk away from coaching.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Pretty much. I'm glad someone else saw through the smoke. I knew what it was the moment I saw there wasn't even an article link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It was a bad joke. I know you've had love for the Mamba for a long time. His contract...not so much.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Don't get mad; get even.

Tonight's game. Win.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

spermtalk having a field day with this
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It was a bad joke. I know you've had love for the Mamba for a long time. His contract...not so much.

You got two things right.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

Considering the circumstances, you don't think Kobe the competitor would love to trade places with Duncan at this current moment? I think Kobe is rightfully saluting how the Spurs run their business, which he admitted would be more difficult in a large market like the Lakers.

Both the Lakers and Spurs have been the best at winning the past 15 years. I don't think there is much controversy to this. One thing Kobe always does is recognize game, and he sees that with the current Spurs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:

The simple answer to the bolded is that Phil walked away. Unlike him, Pop has not burned out or had medical issues that forced him to walk away from coaching.

Phil has the rings but IMO Pop is just as good as, maybe a better coach.

I will give his organization some credit for his longevity and coaching record.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
laker4life wrote:

In 2011, the Lakers were swept 4-0 and Phil voluntarily retired. Something he had wanted to do the previous year but was talked out of it. The team was aging, Phil quit, and we are blaming the front office for not sticking to what was working??!

What Phil had was working. You are not going to win every year. You can't . However, in a five year period, if you get to the finals at least once. That is success. With Phil, we got to the finals 3 years in a row. We were going for a fourth. I was not upset when we lost.

Also, there were serious internal issues which made it difficult for the team.
Lakers historically do not get swept 4-0 unless there are some problems.

Phil might have left at the time but if the organization had any intelligence they would have recognized that successful organizations are the creature of "habits" and patterns. They should have brought in Brian Shaw or someone who would maintain that continuity.

The Spurs, the Cardinals and Giants (baseball), Patriots, etc are examples. Also, read the Power of Habits. It is a New York Best Seller.

You have to build continuity or else you have what you have in front of us.

These last few years will go down as the "worse" in this franchise history.

That is significant.
voylash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

Phil had cancer and serious health problems in 2011. Kobe was injured that year. They just couldn't win that year.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
laker4life wrote:

What Phil had was working. You are not going to win every year. You can't . However, in a five year period, if you get to the finals at least once. That is success. With Phil, we got to the finals 3 years in a row. We were going for a fourth. I was not upset when we lost.

Also, there were serious internal issues which made it difficult for the team.
Lakers historically do not get swept 4-0 unless there are some problems.

Phil might have left at the time but if the organization had any intelligence they would have recognized that successful organizations are the creature of "habits" and patterns. They should have brought in Brian Shaw or someone who would maintain that continuity.

The Spurs, the Cardinals and Giants (baseball), Patriots, etc are examples. Also, read the Power of Habits. It is a New York Best Seller.

You have to build continuity or else you have what you have in front of us.

These last few years will go down as the "worse" in this franchise history.

That is significant.

The Spurs have actually adapted and changed their style over the years. Blinding sticking to the triangle or any system for continuity's sake is not the answer, nor was it ever the reason we won with Phil to begin with. If you remember Phil's first season here, with almost zero triangle experience and continuity, led to a championship. Having great players will do that.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

As a Spurs fan I just think that it's sad that two of the greatest players of this generation, perhaps never to be seen again are playing each other in their sunset years and for one team it might be irrelevant as to the outcome when it never has. This impending finality that is coming for both of them will be sad to watch yet a great memory.

Kobe is leading the NBA as normal in scoring and our new kid gets to test his mettle against him. That could be a show.

As to salaries and organizations, both are the cream of the NBA (for the Spurs now anyway) and Kobe is worth every penny he's paid. Talk about beating a dead horse. Enjoy it while you can because you'll never see their likes again. And LA will always have the eventual edge in longevity of success. 5 billion will always buy a lot. Nor have I ever thought the Busses or Mitch were clueless about running a franchise. Continuity of coaches and systems long term is seriously under-appreciated in the NBA as Sloan and Pop have shown differently as LA did with PJAX, Riles, etc. IMO was Kobe's message and he did pay a price for it. Just as DROB did in SA until Pop showed up. I'm staying up late for this one as well as for old times sake.

Last edited by Hawkins on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: