Byron Scott called Steve Nash and Steve finally called him back (page 5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Appearances not being transparent to the fan base, Nash has had the worse career of any Laker that ever put on the uniform. Why assume his presence would be or have a positive affect on the team. From day one he's been the team Black Cat. Bad Luck and injury have followed him. Let him have his money and let him be. The Lakers Made a mistake, own it and move on. You just got to wash your hands of Steve Nash and Clean up the mess that trading for him has left behind.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
We know Byron Scott can't coach.

And, its clear that Nash can't play.

But, instead of just asking Nash to assume the role of a mentor, why can't Nash become the coach?

We've finally got the pieces for an D'Antoni offense, but don't have D'Antoni anymore. Nash would seem like the next best thing then.

If we're going to pay him, I'd rather pay him to coach.

The CBA
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
Should have his butt sitting behind the bench in street clothes at every game. Positive locker room influence, mentor the PG's, and show his face. He owes LA that for the paychecks he's been collecting the last three years. It would be different if he'd accepted a medical retirement last season, but he didn't.

Steve wants the checks, but it doesn't seem like he wants anything else to do with the Lakers organization.

Hard to accept something that was never offered.
appwrangler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Quote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
After waiting quite a while, Steve Nash called Coach Byron Scott back this morning. Said he might come see the team soon.

There, Nash has called Byron. Everyone can now move on.

He "might" come see the team "soon"?? Yeah, think I'll give my boss a call and tell him I might come into the office soon. Bet that will fly.

Fans don't have any visibility on whether Nash is involved with the team at all, though it sounds like he isn't. And we have no idea of any justified complaints Nash may have about Scott or the team, though we've heard of none. But if he's on the payroll it seems like he ought to be doing something.

In the immortal words of the great Dr Venkman: "Type something, will you? We're paying for this stuff!"
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

But, instead of just asking Nash to assume the role of a mentor, why can't Nash become the coach?

We've finally got the pieces for an D'Antoni offense, but don't have D'Antoni anymore. Nash would seem like the next best thing then.

Maybe Steve can teach the last second plays that D'Antoni ran in the last two years. I know we hate him so much in Laker land but he had one of the best play calls from out of bounds.

Last edited by PhiberOptik on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Well at least he called, now Scott can sleep well at night knowing Steve Nash is alright

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Quote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
After waiting quite a while, Steve Nash called Coach Byron Scott back this morning. Said he might come see the team soon.

There, Nash has called Byron. Everyone can now move on.

Glad to see it's finally a good time for him. Wouldn't want to inconvenience him too much.

Last edited by leor_77 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Big deal

!...
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

The CBA

Not really. The CBA just says you can't have a "player-coach" where the person is drawing two salaries, one as a "player" and a second salary as a "coach." The fear is that it would be used to circumvent salary cap restrictions by underpaying him as as player and compensating with the "coach" salary.

It says nothing about paying him only a single salary as a "player" but using him as an assistant coach.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

The CBA

Not really. The CBA just says you can't have a "player-coach" where the person is drawing two salaries, one as a "player" and a second salary as a "coach." The fear is that it would be used to circumvent salary cap restrictions by underpaying him as as player and compensating with the "coach" salary.

It says nothing about paying him only a single salary as a "player" but using him as an assistant coach.

That would assume that he would even be a good coach. Also, he is under no contractual obligation to add to his responsibilities, which ended when he was ruled out for the season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Steve: "Hey Byron, its me Steve"

Byron: "Thanks for calling, how are things going?"

Steve: "Good"

Byron: "Cool, talk to you later"
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
Should have his butt sitting behind the bench in street clothes at every game. Positive locker room influence, mentor the PG's, and show his face. He owes LA that for the paychecks he's been collecting the last three years. It would be different if he'd accepted a medical retirement last season, but he didn't.

Steve wants the checks, but it doesn't seem like he wants anything else to do with the Lakers organization.

Hard to accept something that was never offered.

Hard to offer something that won't be accepted.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve: "Hey Byron, its me Steve"

Byron: "Thanks for calling, how are things going?"

Steve: "Good"

Byron: "Cool, talk to you later"

Byron: Hey Steve, can you come here and help me coach these guys?

Nash: Sure, what do you want me to teach them?

Byron: You will teach them how to play defense.

both: "laughs hysterically"
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

If Nash could just show up every once every two weeks or so when they're in LA just to give the PGs some tips that would be cool.

He's a wealth of knowledge that could teach our guys about how to analyze certain parts of the game. What works. What doesn't. What tricks does he use. When should he use them? What does he look for in analysis? Etc...
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Cool $9 million dollars this year to do what? If this was Phoenix, Nash would be on the bench in pressed street clothes every game.

Andrew Bynum found the millions still came in whether he played or not and now has no interest in playing.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Can we have him sit on the bench and then shoot FTs in late game fouling situations?
nashftw
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

sounds like a plan!

but one other thing that might have happened was that the FO specifically asked Nash not to play anymore to remove any uncertainties and distractions to the team. Nash may initially not have liked this that much so he took some time off before responding. but makes sense and explains a lot.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Who in here goes to work when they are out on disability? Steve who? Vlade Divac, Chris Mimm, and many others got hurt and never contributed this will go away relax people 21 million between Hill, Boozer, and Nash. We are in good shape and players will see that when we start winning some games.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

lakerMark wrote:
Who in here goes to work when they are out on disability? Steve who? Vlade Divac, Chris Mimm, and many others got hurt and never contributed this will go away relax people 21 million between Hill, Boozer, and Nash. We are in good shape and players will see that when we start winning some games.

I also wouldn't be posting pictures of myself mountain climbing, bowling, mma training, skydiving when I'm supposed to be out with an injured back. But that's just me.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Regardless of the other aspects of the Nash fiasco, he is being paid over $9 million for another season of absolutely nothing. It might be nice if he showed enough class to return the coach's phone call and maybe be around here or there if that's what the org asks of him. This isn't even debatable imo.

What is debatable is what the organization is asking of him.

I'd say it's highly debatable as to whether or not Nash can or cannot be on the court contributing right now. I have spine and nerve issues that make Nash's issues look like a day at the park. And, before anyone goes and assumes anything, yes I have played competitive hoops before my health become an issue.

There's is no chance whatsoever that if his stenosis and neuropathic pain issues are so severe that he can't play any hoops that he could do other things like playing soccer and pickup basketball games that he had no problem at all showing off to the world like an idiot. I don't doubt he has problems with his back that cause him a mountain of discomfort. Been there - understand it - can empathize whole heartedly with his situation. However, I don't buy into it for a moment that he was able to perform all of those other physical tasks and suddenly he's deemed physically unable to contribute for the entire season. Nope - not buying it for a second.

What I do believe is that Steve Nash always has and still does fervently hate the Lakers and especially Kobe with a passion. He helped HIS team screw the Lakers royally by grabbing plenty of picks and additionally tossing him enough money to setup several families for life. In return, Nash has provided what he intended to provide all along. Nothing.

If he actually cared even slightly for the Lakers, he could have put in some time on the floor - doesn't need to be a lot of minutes - just enough to show off his skills. He could have intentionally given the Lakers a chance to use his contract as trade bait to improve this team before he had himself proclaimed "unable to play." But, he specifically didn't do any of that. Instead, he specifically screwed the Lakers and ensured that they won't have any chance to get any value out of his remaining contract.

Oh, and lest we forget, he was also kind enough to remind all of us that he's certainly not retiring early because he wants the money. But, from where I'm sitting - he has in fact retired early and is still getting all of the money. Of course anyone wants the money. That's fine. That's human nature and looking out for your family's best interests. But, there's no reason at all to be a jerk about it and publicly announce it to the world - unless of course you don't care at all about the organization that is cutting you those fat checks. I'd say Nash has made it pretty clear where he stands on that topic.

Stay in Phoenix with your kids, Steve. They need you. We don't.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Regardless of the other aspects of the Nash fiasco, he is being paid over $9 million for another season of absolutely nothing. It might be nice if he showed enough class to return the coach's phone call and maybe be around here or there if that's what the org asks of him. This isn't even debatable imo.

What is debatable is what the organization is asking of him.

I'd say it's highly debatable as to whether or not Nash can or cannot be on the court contributing right now. I have spine and nerve issues that make Nash's issues look like a day at the park. And, before anyone goes and assumes anything, yes I have played competitive hoops before my health become an issue.

There's is no chance whatsoever that if his stenosis and neuropathic pain issues are so severe that he can't play any hoops that he could do other things like playing soccer and pickup basketball games that he had no problem at all showing off to the world like an idiot. I don't doubt he has problems with his back that cause him a mountain of discomfort. Been there - understand it - can empathize whole heartedly with his situation. However, I don't buy into it for a moment that he was able to perform all of those other physical tasks and suddenly he's deemed physically unable to contribute for the entire season. Nope - not buying it for a second.

What I do believe is that Steve Nash always has and still does fervently hate the Lakers and especially Kobe with a passion. He helped HIS team screw the Lakers royally by grabbing plenty of picks and additionally tossing him enough money to setup several families for life. In return, Nash has provided what he intended to provide all along. Nothing.

If he actually cared even slightly for the Lakers, he could have put in some time on the floor - doesn't need to be a lot of minutes - just enough to show off his skills. He could have intentionally given the Lakers a chance to use his contract as trade bait to improve this team before he had himself proclaimed "unable to play." But, he specifically didn't do any of that. Instead, he specifically screwed the Lakers and ensured that they won't have any chance to get any value out of his remaining contract.

Oh, and lest we forget, he was also kind enough to remind all of us that he's certainly not retiring early because he wants the money. But, from where I'm sitting - he has in fact retired early and is still getting all of the money. Of course anyone wants the money. That's fine. That's human nature and looking out for your family's best interests. But, there's no reason at all to be a jerk about it and publicly announce it to the world - unless of course you don't care at all about the organization that is cutting you those fat checks. I'd say Nash has made it pretty clear where he stands on that topic.

Stay in Phoenix with your kids, Steve. They need you. We don't.

Where do you stand on the issue of a 100 mph golf swing and playing b ball? I have never played b ball other than pick up games with friends, I have played plenty of golf and believe a golf swing can cause serious back issues.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Im still at a lost to why the Lakers let it get to this point in the first place. The player you traded for using a ton of draft ammo is out but refuses to retire forcing you to pay their entire salary? It should come without hesitation to force that guy to still show up to work everyday as an injured player. If he refuses to mentor players? fine make him sit there bored to death and his mouth shut.
I might can see an exception if it was Kobe who played his entire career here, but a rental player like Nash?? Come on!
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Where do you stand on the issue of a 100 mph golf swing and playing b ball? I have never played b ball other than pick up games with friends, I have played plenty of golf and believe a golf swing can cause serious back issues.

Just ask Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson. Last time I checked, golf has taken more than a slight toll on their spines.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/06/tiger-woods-back-problems-pred.html

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Phil-Mickelson-seeks-treatment-for-back-pain-5180369.php

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_13_3_4.htm

http://www.sandiegospinalcare.com/san-diego-chiropractor-golf-pain-treatment.php

I personally wouldn't know. I'm not physically able to perform a typical golf swing. 2 fusions and 7 herniated discs, 3 of which make constant contact with my spinal cord. I'd love to learn golf if that was an option. I only get to spend time on the putting green which is pretty rare. I was definitely better at basketball. But, golf intrigues me quite a bit. Once you try the game yourself and appreciate just how good those pros are, it takes on a very different light.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: