Official 2015 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
I don't think that DJ is going to be back with the Clippers. I know Balmer has money, but if they sign DJ to a max deal they are going to be in salary cap hell. DJ (at max), CP, Blake, Barnes (the starter), Crawford, Hawes and Reddick will account for 79.9 million in capspace.

The luxury tax is expected to be about 81 million, so the Clippers will only have the MMLE to add to the roster. They need an upgrade at small forward, a backup PG, maybe a backup to the 4 and 5. I know Hawes is that guy but he has been a disappointment.

The reason the Warriors are so good is they are paying Livingston, Thompson, Speights, Barnes, Barbosa, and Green 17 million. You add in Curry at 10.6 million , and they are paying about 28 million for those 7 players. The Clippers are paying 37 million for CP3 and Blake along.

I don't see any scenario where paying DJ max gets the Clippers closer to a championship.

Ballmer is filthy rich. He'll pay that max without blinking an eye.

He is worth almost 40 times more than the Buss family.
lakerslifer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Lets just sign FA Paul Pierce as SF and Greg Monroe as Center, Randle as PF, Kobe and Clarkson to complete backcourt then draft best possible talents available as bench.
Lets keep Ed Davis, Jabari Brown, Boozer, Lin, Hill
Lets add- Kevin Love, Jimmy Butler
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
I don't think that DJ is going to be back with the Clippers. I know Balmer has money, but if they sign DJ to a max deal they are going to be in salary cap hell. DJ (at max), CP, Blake, Barnes (the starter), Crawford, Hawes and Reddick will account for 79.9 million in capspace.

The luxury tax is expected to be about 81 million, so the Clippers will only have the MMLE to add to the roster. They need an upgrade at small forward, a backup PG, maybe a backup to the 4 and 5. I know Hawes is that guy but he has been a disappointment.

The reason the Warriors are so good is they are paying Livingston, Thompson, Speights, Barnes, Barbosa, and Green 17 million. You add in Curry at 10.6 million , and they are paying about 28 million for those 7 players. The Clippers are paying 37 million for CP3 and Blake along.

I don't see any scenario where paying DJ max gets the Clippers closer to a championship.

It's not about money player. It's about flexibility. Mark Cuban has a lot of money too. Paying Jordan max means he, CP3, and Blake make $58 million in salary.

You are paying a non superstar, superstar money, and you lose all your flexibility to add to your roster,. What changes for the Clippers with Jordan making the max.

Even if the Clippers decline Barnes and Crawford option, they would still be at 71 million with Jordan, CP3, Blake, Redick, and Hawes. You add the capholds, and they have the MLE. But they have no starting small forward, or backup, no six man,no back pg and may need to upgrade the frontcourt.

They also have no BAE (Farmar) or a draft pick (Doc Rivers). No matter how much money Balmer has, he can't fill all those holes unless guys play for the min.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject:

legend825 wrote:
No I don't think it would be a mistake to give KD a huge max. I'm sure most of us if not all of us would be jumping for joy if he jumped ship to play for purple and gold and bring some other good players too.

KD is 26. With a max deal, he'll get 4 years and still only be 31 at the END of his contract. I'll take a chance on that any day. If we get him next summer, don't be surprised if Kobe comes back with a 1 year close to minimum deal. Kobe - KD - Randle + FA and rookie(s) from this off-season isn't too bad.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

It's not about money player. It's about flexibility. Mark Cuban has a lot of money too. Paying Jordan max means he, CP3, and Blake make $58 million in salary.

You are paying a non superstar, superstar money, and you lose all your flexibility to add to your roster,. What changes for the Clippers with Jordan making the max.

Even if the Clippers decline Barnes and Crawford option, they would still be at 71 million with Jordan, CP3, Blake, Redick, and Hawes. You add the capholds, and they have the MLE. But they have no starting small forward, or backup, no six man,no back pg and may need to upgrade the frontcourt.

They also have no BAE (Farmar) or a draft pick (Doc Rivers). No matter how much money Balmer has, he can't fill all those holes unless guys play for the min.

"paying a non superstar..superstar money"

This is the main reason all the "sign DJ" posts are so frustrating to me. A desperate team making a desperate move does not help the rebuild.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

This is the main reason all the "sign DJ" posts are so frustrating to me. A desperate team making a desperate move does not help the rebuild.

It's not a desperate move for us. We don't have the commitments that the Clippers have. They are paying Blake and CP3, 40 million, 43 million and 45 million over the next three years. Plus, the Clippers have no young talent. Young, Randle, Clarkson, the fifth pick and Hou pick will combine to make about 13 million next season. The only guy who probably want be in the rotation is the Houston pick. For comparison, the Clippers are paying Redick and Hawes 12.5 million.

The Clippers paying DJ max eliminates any chance for them to have quality depth moving forward.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

It's not a desperate move for us. We don't have the commitments that the Clippers have. They are paying Blake and CP3, 40 million, 43 million and 45 million over the next three years. Plus, the Clippers have no young talent. Young, Randle, Clarkson, the fifth pick and Hou pick will combine to make about 13 million next season. The only guy who probably want be in the rotation is the Houston pick. For comparison, the Clippers are paying Redick and Hawes 12.5 million.

The Clippers paying DJ max eliminates any chance for them to have quality depth moving forward.

We have different opinions on how to spend money wisely.

Paying a non superstar superstar money for the next 4 years is not fiscally sound. For a Laker franchise teetering on the edge of relevance it would be a waste of valuable resources IMO.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Paying a non superstar superstar money for the next 4 years is not fiscally sound. For a Laker franchise teetering on the edge of relevance it would be a waste of valuable resources IMO.

It's essentially superstar money for one year. Once the cap takes the huge leap in 2016, it will be tier 2 level money, which is about right.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

no top tier FA is coming to play this summer. play with N young? or kobe in last yr?

just punt to 2016. grow randle, clarkson and the top 5 if we get him
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

It won't be Kobe's last year
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

The cap is going to skyrocket. It's technically only going to be the max for a season before that cap takes off.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

How many true superstars are there at center, though? Anthony Davis, and? DJ is an elite rebounder and those don't come around often. But you're right, it's a lot of money.

Personally I'd rather throw a Kwame Brown type deal at Tyson Chandler, 3yr/$27M with a team option after 2 years. I think he's the perfect role-playing center, a locker room leader, and you won't find better for the money. He has quietly put up 10/11/1.2 in 30 mpg this season, comparable to DJ's 11/15/2. He isn't as much of a shot blocking presence as DJ, but if we have Ed Davis backing him up, I'd feel good about the center rotation for the short term. But most importantly, the length of that contract would give us options 2 years from now if Anthony Davis takes the QO. We aren't going to find a young guy to sign for only 2+1 years unless we overpay for him annually, like Jordan Hill.

So if we don't want to commit to a center like DJ long term, the next best thing is to sign a stopgap vet short term. I like Chandler, especially if we luck out and get one of the top 2 bigs in the draft. He'd make a great mentor.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

^But under the new salary cap which starts next year, what is currently a "superstar" contract would be equivalent to your Kwame Brown deal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

DJ is going to be back with the Clips. Doc loves DJ and what he brings to the table. CP3/Blake/DJ is a great core, you just need a legit SF who can score the ball as a primary scorer when need be. Someone who can get hot and stay hot.

The name that I fully expect to be a Laker target if we don't draft a big is Greg Monroe. I think FO has Love/Gasol/LMA at the top of the list followed by Monroe
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

If DJ is available and assuming we don't draft a big I don't hesitate to max him. Randle/Dj is a great frontcourt.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The key is how they spend that money.

Are they chasing a marquee name with a bad back or attitude like Love or Rondo or are they paying second tier free agents to build a foundation? Going to be an interesting off-season.

This off-season does not look like a good free agent group for the Lakers. Not sure any of the elite players are leaving their current teams or accepting a Laker offer.

IMO next year is more likely the big spending year. Kobe comes off the books. And the young players have shown if they are legitimate or not.

I think they pursue the big names, Gasol, LA, Dragic, maybe even Jordan. If they don't get one of them, then I think they add some guys to good 3-year contracts that can play, guys on the level of Carroll and Danny Green. Guys who can help get to 35 wins next season but are easy to move if need be.

The Carroll/Green route just doesn't sound like our FO. I think there are other guys they look at first b/f they consider Tier 3 guys like Carroll/Green (i.e. Rondo). I think Love/Monroe may be in their first tier.

I am not sure why. The last time they rebuilt they signed/traded for guys like Ceballos and Horry. Even more recently they rebuilt with guys like Shannon Brown and Ariza. They have shown they are willing to add the complimentary pieces prior to getting another star.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They weren't interested in Monroe last season, I don't see what would change that. One guy I forgot to add was Hibbert, I could see them pursuing him. The FO knows that they need to win next season, I can't see them gambling on injured players or taking the one year contract route.

FWIW Momo Shelburne keeps on bringing up Monroe as an option. Who knows what she knows.

We do know the FO has no interest last offseason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

The Clippers have done nothing to promote DJ or to help him develop a post game on offense. Those are two things you go after him with hard, if you can convice him that he can be an endorser and an all star, two things the Clippers have failed at, you have a chance with him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

And if they fail to advance with the roster they have now, being capped out won't help them improve next season. They screwed themselves this season by forcing themselves into a hard cap situation, having no flexibility to improve on a non-title team isn't good for their future.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

The Clippers have done nothing to promote DJ or to help him develop a post game on offense. Those are two things you go after him with hard, if you can convice him that he can be an endorser and an all star, two things the Clippers have failed at, you have a chance with him.

prefer love or dragic if we draft towns or WCS
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They weren't interested in Monroe last season, I don't see what would change that. One guy I forgot to add was Hibbert, I could see them pursuing him. The FO knows that they need to win next season, I can't see them gambling on injured players or taking the one year contract route.

FWIW Momo Shelburne keeps on bringing up Monroe as an option. Who knows what she knows.

We know they didnt make a tender offer. That's all. doesn't mean they weren't interested.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We know they didnt make a tender offer. That's all. doesn't mean they weren't interested.

What's the difference between last offseason and this upcoming one that would change their mind?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

You are living in 2000. It isn't superstar money, superstar money is $20 + mil, we would be paying max money. And in his second season, DJ would be on a relative 12-13 mil contract due to the cap increasing. The percentage against the cap will drop drastically. You need to break that old paradigm and move into the present.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Unrestricted free agent.

What's the difference between last offseason and this upcoming one that would change their mind?

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
DJ is going to be back with the Clips. Doc loves DJ and what he brings to the table. CP3/Blake/DJ is a great core, you just need a legit SF who can score the ball as a primary scorer when need be. Someone who can get hot and stay hot.

The name that I fully expect to be a Laker target if we don't draft a big is Greg Monroe. I think FO has Love/Gasol/LMA at the top of the list followed by Monroe

And Doc's GM decisions will be the primary reason that talented team won't come close to sniffing a title. Ballmer is showing at this point that he has no grasp on being an NBA owner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next
Page 424 of 2526
Jump to: