Official 2015 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The important thing still undecided is whether or not the cap will be smoothed. If not, that will mean something along the lines of a 15 mil jump in 2016, which coupled with Kobe's salary, represents 40 mil in cap room even if the team uses all the cap around Kobe in 2015.

What this means is that if LA strikes out on a star in 15, they can still spend the 26-27 mil and still have two max slots for 16. So while they will try to go star first, if not, I believe they will add pieces anyway.

I am guessing that if the players insist on it, the NBA will jump the cap in order to avoid a work stoppage.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Leonard is a pipe dream, no way the Spurs will let him go. The Lakers will pursue the top FA's, not waste time on RFAs when teams can match.

who u speak of?

I don't want love but LMA, Gasol will stay put.

Dragic is 28-29 and will goto houston or stay home or even NYK

who else is a top FA?
Not saying they will sign them but they will pursue Marc, LMA, and Dragic. If they strike out on those guys then they'll pursue 2nd tier players like Jordan and Hibbert. I think someone will sign this summer, probably not a star but a good defensive C.

When was the last time a defensive center with zero offensive skills won a chip? Mavs in 11 & pistons in 2004??

I would love for us to save that money instead of giving about max to a D center
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

And that's still a waste of money on a player you can't win with.

If you are waiting to spend money on guys you know you can win with then you must be in for a long, long rebuild. Adding assets makes sense to me, not cherry picking a FA every 2-3 seasons. Assets can be moved in deals to acquire guys you want. Not having assets means you have to be lucky.

Why would their strategy change in 1 summer? Last yr they could have had B level talent but they didnt sign

2015 summer is absolutely the summer to punt instead of signing B level like asik/DJ

With increased cap u have 3 max contracto offer. Ask durant who he wants to play with?

Noah? Al hordford? Conley? Lebron if opts in? CP3 if he opts out
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:
The important thing still undecided is whether or not the cap will be smoothed. If not, that will mean something along the lines of a 15 mil jump in 2016, which coupled with Kobe's salary, represents 40 mil in cap room even if the team uses all the cap around Kobe in 2015.

What this means is that if LA strikes out on a star in 15, they can still spend the 26-27 mil and still have two max slots for 16. So while they will try to go star first, if not, I believe they will add pieces anyway.

I am guessing that if the players insist on it, the NBA will jump the cap in order to avoid a work stoppage.

It wouldn't be to avoid a work stoppage. That possibility is the following year. It would be to not get sued for breach of contract. The league cannot unilaterally smooth the cap. Without the approval of the union, they have to jump it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

If you are waiting to spend money on guys you know you can win with then you must be in for a long, long rebuild. Adding assets makes sense to me, not cherry picking a FA every 2-3 seasons. Assets can be moved in deals to acquire guys you want. Not having assets means you have to be lucky.

Why would their strategy change in 1 summer? Last yr they could have had B level talent but they didnt sign

2015 summer is absolutely the summer to punt instead of signing B level like asik/DJ

With increased cap u have 3 max contracto offer. Ask durant who he wants to play with?

I have answered that numerous times and this is the last, so maybe pay attention. If they had signed B level talent last season they wouldn't have cap space this season. If they sign role players next offseason, they will still have about a max and a half spot from Kobe's contract. So they can bring in some assets this next offseason and still have cap space in 2016. If they did that last season, no cap space in 2015.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:

It wouldn't be to avoid a work stoppage. That possibility is the following year. It would be to not get sued for breach of contract. The league cannot unilaterally smooth the cap. Without the approval of the union, they have to jump it.

My point was that they could buy the union's support by agreeing to no lockout in 2017. As things are going, I don't think either side wants that to happen.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

the best example of the asset route is dallas, who absolutely went about things the way the lakers should have,,,
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

the best example of the asset route is dallas, who absolutely went about things the way the lakers should have,,,

Dallas pretty much did what LA is doing. Taking multiple shots at big time players and signing other assets along the way.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

Dirk has also facilitated that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Wouldn't the max slot rise proportionally too? So if we have $40m, it may not be enough for 2 max contracts, maybe one max, and a slot that's about 80% of another max.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Dallas pretty much did what LA is doing. Taking multiple shots at big time players and signing other assets along the way.

We need to land that Monta Ellis level player (IIRC on around a $8-9m contract). I think we are still about 1 season out from where Dallas is right now. Not confident we get a tier 1 FA. In 2016, will require Kobe taking a significant paycut (not sure if that happens at the Dirk level).
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

Hopefully the Lakers move on from KB at the end, honestly at any price I think he would be a bit of a drag on the franchise at that point. His play style is pretty much set in stone and it's just not one of those styles that ages well...if he were corner 3 ball shooter, an amazing distributor on a nightly basis, etc might be different, but he is becoming an increasingly inefficient volume shooter and imagine that's not a big draw for a lot of players
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I have answered that numerous times and this is the last, so maybe pay attention. If they had signed B level talent last season they wouldn't have cap space this season. If they sign role players next offseason, they will still have about a max and a half spot from Kobe's contract. So they can bring in some assets this next offseason and still have cap space in 2016. If they did that last season, no cap space in 2015.

Same goes for 2016. If they sign 2 b level players they lose a max spot in 2016.
Recent history shows they will punt if no home run and thats what i would support in this summer
U r taking about 1 max and i am talking about multiple max: almost 3 with cap jump
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I was of this opinion in the summer but looking at their home run strategy i am Ok with that too
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Same goes for 2016. If they sign 2 b level players they lose a max spot in 2016.
Recent history shows they will punt if no home run and thats what i would support in this summer
U r taking about 1 max and i am talking about multiple max: almost 3 with cap jump

A "max" contract is a % of the team's overall cap space. So if the salary cap jumps, so too will max contracts, proportionatly speaking. I think at most, if Kobe retires we may have 2 max contracts in 2016, which may cost us upwards of $24-25m each if they rise with the cap.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo · 3m 3 minutes ago
The Pistons announce that they have waived Josh Smith. Wow.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

We need to land that Monta Ellis level player (IIRC on around a $8-9m contract). I think we are still about 1 season out from where Dallas is right now. Not confident we get a tier 1 FA. In 2016, will require Kobe taking a significant paycut (not sure if that happens at the Dirk level).

Dallas already had Dirk on their team, and it's conceivable he could continue to play at the high level he's been playing for another season or two. Kobe is no longer on that level, I'm sorry to say.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Disagree on Asik and DJ. I'd love to have either.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo · 3m 3 minutes ago
The Pistons announce that they have waived Josh Smith. Wow.

WOW.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:

I sincerely hope we do NOT put a bid in for Josh Smith
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

I can see the Lakers getting him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
I sincerely hope we do NOT put a bid in for Josh Smith

Philly, he's all yours!!!
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

I would guess Heat, Rockets, or Kings
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Clippers?

Houston makes sense. Smith/Howard are best buds and they aren't exactly stacked at the PF position. I have Rox in the lead for Smith.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

DETROIT HAS FULLY MOBILIZED IT'S PANZER DIVISION!

(This is how you really tank!)
Quote:
In a rather shocking move, the Detroit Pistons have waived former All-Star forward Josh Smith to focus on developing younger talent.

Pistons race to the bottom has began with a BOOM!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next
Page 67 of 2526
Jump to: