Official 2015 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2519, 2520, 2521 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

BOOZE NEWS

Quote:
Boozer to be patient — Despite the talk that he might be ready to head to China or other parts overseas, veteran free agent forward Carlos Boozer isn’t packing his bags just yet. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the ex-Laker is hoping to find a need and an open spot with a playoff team for the 2015-16 season:

Yahoo Sources: Likelihood is free agent Carlos Boozer waits for NBA season to start, sees where a need and fit develops with playoff team.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) August 28, 2015

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Does Carlos Boozer Still Have A Spot On A Contender

Quote:
He shot 47.2 percent from midrange (above league average) and finished around the hoop at a 67.5 percent clip. Those numbers will entice teams that will be on the hunt for a backup power forward, especially one that can score in the midrange.

LIVE Feed carlos boozerNBA Rumors: Carlos Boozer Expected To Hold Out For Opportunity In NBASir Charles In Charge
NBA Free Agency: Carlos Boozer likely to wait until season starts to signFanSided
Should The Phoenix Suns Sign Carlos Boozer?Valley of the Suns
Carlos Boozer Is Still Available?Pippen Ain't Easy
NBA Rumors: Is Carlos Boozer Heading Far East?Sir Charles In Charge

That is where Boozer’s value lies – in the midrange.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/08/29/nba-carlos-boozer-still-spot-contender/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Kind of surprising he hasn't found a team yet. He was productive last year
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Agreed, he'd be a sold backup for Memphis behind Randolph.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Agreed, he'd be a sold backup for Memphis behind Randolph.

I think he'd actually be a great backup PF on a championship level team. Memphis, OKC, Clippers, GS, and Houston could all have roles for him and at the very least you've got great locker room guy at the end of your bench
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

@WojYahooNBA: FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Anyone know anything about Huertas? Have to think that he wouldn't leave Europe for just a camp invite with a small guarantee.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
Anyone know anything about Huertas? Have to think that he wouldn't leave Europe for just a camp invite with a small guarantee.

IIRC, he's really wanted a shot to come over and play, and at his age, the chances are dwindling.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Don't really think he can make the roster, but I think he is the only one who could back up Russell.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject:

Wilson Chandler had his deal restructured for 4 years/48 million this past offseason.
After learning that, maxing out a comparable role player in Batum for 20+ mill a year isn't very appetizing to me .
I get the cap is going up ≈ 30% next offseason. But still, that's too much $ for a role player.
Highest I'd pay for Batum is between 16-18 mill a year. And he wouldn't be a high priority for me at that price.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilson Chandler had his deal restructured for 4 years/48 million this past offseason.
After learning that, maxing out a comparable role player in Batum for 20+ mill a year isn't very appetizing to me .
I get the cap is going up ≈ 30% next offseason. But still, that's too much $ for a role player.
Highest I'd pay for Batum is between 16-18 mill a year. And he wouldn't be a high priority for me at that price.

Does not matter what you would "want" to pay for a player, it is about market value. He will be among the top free agents and multiple teams will be interested.

Salaries will be driven up because nearly every team will have money to spend. In reality a player like Batum will likely get north of $20M. No avoiding it. You state you think $16-18M is "fair". So you pass on Batum and use that on a player you are likely to say is not worth $10-12M in past years. Lakers will need to pay what the market asks.

Think of it in terms of real estate in years the market is up. You want to buy in a really nice neighborhood. You feel it is overpriced and decide to pass. You decide instead buy a lesser house/neighborhood for probably what you could have bought the first house for just a couple years ago. Market value.

Not arguing for/against signing Batum just pointing out the reality of the economics. Next years free agents hit the lottery . They all will be over-paid.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:

He looks very solid. I dont see why he wont make the team.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

farzadkavari wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

He looks very solid. I dont see why he wont make the team.

What a shot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Yeah. We will have 60m in cap space. We desperately will need a SF/wing player. Assuming DLO/Clarkson/Randle continue developing well, getting a 3/D SF who is still in his prime who can handle/pass/shoot for 20m isn't a bad thing at all. The REAL problem is whether a team throws him the 25m max.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yeah. We will have 60m in cap space. We desperately will need a SF/wing player. Assuming DLO/Clarkson/Randle continue developing well, getting a 3/D SF who is still in his prime who can handle/pass/shoot for 20m isn't a bad thing at all. The REAL problem is whether a team throws him the 25m max.

I get what you're saying, but personally no way I'd pay him anything that starts with a 2.
I want him in the teens, or not at all.
Batum has been regressing in recent years, and I don't think signing him would be a difference maker in terms of making the playoffs in 2016-2017 season or not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I get what you're saying, but personally no way I'd pay him anything that starts with a 2.
Batum has been regressing in recent years, and I don't think signing him would be a difference maker in terms of making the playoffs in 2016-2017 season or not.

You're not getting a quality player for that range in 2016. Too many max slots available, too few players. An alternative would be to punt again to 2017, but I doubt that happens given the likelihood we just missed 3 straight playoffs.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You're not getting a quality player for that range in 2016. Too many max slots available, too few players. An alternative would be to punt again to 2017, but I doubt that happens given the likelihood we just missed 3 straight playoffs.

Well if that's what the market dictates. So be it.
But I'm not happy about it.
20 mill for a guy who is 34th in PER at his position.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sf
At least Derozan is top 10 amoungst shooting guards.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

20 mill for a guy who is 34th in PER at his position.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sf
At least Derozan is top 10 amoungst shooting guards.

Well if that's what the market dictates. So be it.
But I'm not happy about it.

If not Batum, then who would you prefer the Lakers signing and how much do you think those players are going to sign for?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Wilson Chandler: 4yr, $46.5 million
Gallinari's : total value: 3yr and $45 million. Receives $31 million over 2yrs
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is finalizing a four-year, $52 million

these are 3 extensions of SF's knowing the 90mil cap number. no idea why you think Batum should get 20mil and above.

I see him around 16-18mil range
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

these are 3 extensions of SF's knowing the 90mil cap number. no idea why you think Batum should get 20mil and above.

Just to reinforce your point. Gallo is 8th in PER at his position, MKG is 16th, and Chandler is 1 spot ahead of Batum.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

If not Batum, then who would you prefer the Lakers signing and how much do you think those players are going to sign for?

Derozan or Horford for 20-25 mill. The lower the better (of course).
Deng or Jeff Green in the teens.
I'm not sure how much I'd pay Harrison Barnes though. He's been limited as a role player in GS. His ceiling is an enigma to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

So you use 2015 prices to value a 2016 player? So are you saying that Batum is only worth 16-18m in today's value, or in 2016 terms?

You have to understand, the 2016 cap rise means a lot of team will have disposable cap space. I would argue that for the top 1/3rd of free agents (which includes Batum), you will see anywhere from 20-25% inflation of their actual worth thanks to too many teams with cap space but too few quality players to spend it on.

I'd be ecstatic if Batum was only at 16-18m range, but I fear he will be in the 20s because you have some poor desperate small market team with newfound cap space that will give it to him.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So you use 2015 prices to value a 2016 player? So are you saying that Batum is only worth 16-18m in today's value, or in 2016 terms?

You have to understand, the 2016 cap rise means a lot of team will have disposable cap space. I would argue that for the top 1/3rd of free agents (which includes Batum), you will see anywhere from 20-25% inflation of their actual worth thanks to too many teams with cap space but too few quality players to spend it on.

I'd be ecstatic if Batum was only at 16-18m range, but I fear he will be in the 20s because you have some poor desperate small market team with newfound cap space that will give it to him.

I think he's priced perfectly for 2015 right now in Charlotte at 13 mill. Prorated with the approximate 30% salary cap hike next year puts him at 17.
I don't see the upside in us overpaying him. I don't think he puts us in a position to make the playoffs. He's just a solid role player.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

huh? i mentioned those contracts were signed knowing the salary cap of 90million as they go into effect next yr and not this yr.

Gallo got 31/2yrs and thats the price I am willing to pay for batum. around 16-18 with the uptick in salary.

u think Gallo gets paid 31/2 in this salary cap? i dont think so. all those numbers are adjusted
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Next off-season is going to be interesting because one of the points of view is going to be way off. Reasonable and fair increases or over-inflated market value for players like Batum.

Curious if the Lakers only make fair "willing to pay" type offers and the player decides to accept one of the several from teams willing to overpay for him...

Is that still considered not being able to sign the big free agents once again?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Next off-season is going to be interesting because one of the points of view is going to be way off. Reasonable and fair increases or over-inflated market value for players like Batum.

Curious if the Lakers only make fair "willing to pay" type offers and the player decides to accept one of the several from teams willing to overpay for him...

Is that still considered not being able to sign the big free agents once again?

With 60m in cap space we will likely see both if we miss on Durant (likely).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2519, 2520, 2521 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next
Page 2520 of 2526
Jump to: