Official 2015 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Doubting Wiggins isn't something one should do. He is extremely talented and can be a top notch #2 in a couple of years. He will have a long career. The reason I preferred Randle to him was because of their mentality. In the tourney Randle put his team on his back, especially after they had lost WCS, and carried them to the title game. I didn't see that from Wiggins, except for maybe one game. That is why Kobe is Kobe and TMac isn't Kobe. That is also why I have become a fan of Justise Winslow, he has that attitude.

now i know "The Word" came from

Actually, a couple sources, including Emplay had LA with Randle much higher than 7. Not sure anyone had him at number 1 though.

higher meaning 4 i agree or even 3rd but not over wiggings/embiid and even Parker to an extent

VLF did say it was from one friend so no need to rip him I suppose. I enjoy these little tidbits such as GT and 24 recently saying Kobe was looking spry before preseason. It's up to your own discretion to believe it or not. I do know they were very high on Payton and Randle, but I don't know/think if it was 1 and 2. Still very interesting to hear about.

Topic at hand that I'd like to address. There's no way the Kings give up Cousins unless something explosive happens. He has the potential to be a top 5 player in this league. Check out his matchups against Davis. Would I give up Randle and a top 5 pick? Probably not because it seems like a lot especially if that top 5 pick ends up being a Russell or Towns. Would I consider someone crazy to give those two up for Cousins-no.

Monroe is a topic of discussion on here too. The one game against the Pistons this season he got outplayed by our very own Jordan Hill. That's enough for me to make my decision. I've seen more than just that game obvously and he's a great post player, great passer, but his defense is very limited.

Reasonable targets this offseason that the Lakers should target include
Dragic
Wes Matthews (seems unlikely)
Danny Green
Demarre Carroll
Anyone else?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That was the word.

no they did not have him at #1 overall... they never got Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, or Exum in for workouts. So out of what they saw, Randle was their top choice. Had they seen all those other prospects in person, Randle would have fell somewhere between 3-5.
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Doubting Wiggins isn't something one should do. He is extremely talented and can be a top notch #2 in a couple of years. He will have a long career. The reason I preferred Randle to him was because of their mentality. In the tourney Randle put his team on his back, especially after they had lost WCS, and carried them to the title game. I didn't see that from Wiggins, except for maybe one game. That is why Kobe is Kobe and TMac isn't Kobe. That is also why I have become a fan of Justise Winslow, he has that attitude.

Actually, a couple sources, including Emplay had LA with Randle much higher than 7. Not sure anyone had him at number 1 though.

higher meaning 4 i agree or even 3rd but not over wiggings/embiid and even Parker to an extent

VLF did say it was from one friend so no need to rip him I suppose. I enjoy these little tidbits such as GT and 24 recently saying Kobe was looking spry before preseason. It's up to your own discretion to believe it or not. I do know they were very high on Payton and Randle, but I don't know/think if it was 1 and 2. Still very interesting to hear about.

Topic at hand that I'd like to address. There's no way the Kings give up Cousins unless something explosive happens. He has the potential to be a top 5 player in this league. Check out his matchups against Davis. Would I give up Randle and a top 5 pick? Probably not because it seems like a lot especially if that top 5 pick ends up being a Russell or Towns. Would I consider someone crazy to give those two up for Cousins-no.

Monroe is a topic of discussion on here too. The one game against the Pistons this season he got outplayed by our very own Jordan Hill. That's enough for me to make my decision. I've seen more than just that game obvously and he's a great post player, great passer, but his defense is very limited.

Dragic
Danny Green
Demarre Carroll
Anyone else?
Tyson Chandler? Asik? among many others that we could do with. Wouldnt want any of those 4 players you mentioned above. We need a legit Center along with a more than qualified PG to start with, not to mention a decent Small Forward
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Blade wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dragic
Danny Green
Demarre Carroll
Anyone else?
Tyson Chandler? Asik? among many others that we could do with. Wouldnt want any of those 4 players you mentioned above. We need a legit Center along with a more than qualified PG to start with, not to mention a decent Small Forward

A lot of it depends on who we draft.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Yup. After we know the draft we'll have a much better handle on FA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol really?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol really?

Yeah really.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
That was the word.

no they did not have him at #1 overall... they never got Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, or Exum in for workouts. So out of what they saw, Randle was their top choice. Had they seen all those other prospects in person, Randle would have fell somewhere between 3-5.

I would hope that no one would think that they would draft someone they didn't work out. That was rather disasterous when they did that before.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:

Blade wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dragic
Danny Green
Demarre Carroll
Anyone else?

Small forward is the position that needs to be upgraded the most IMO.

Going to continue to hope for the center to come with the top 5 pick. A little luck for a change would be nice. And with the impressive improvement by Clarkson I am wondering if the Lakers chase the elite and expensive PG free agents.

Unfortunately most of the SFs are restricted. But would love to see the Lakers find a way to land a young talented SF like Harris, Draymond Green, Middleton or the fantasy level Butler.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Blade wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dragic
Danny Green
Demarre Carroll
Anyone else?

Small forward is the position that needs to be upgraded the most IMO.

Going to continue to hope for the center to come with the top 5 pick. A little luck for a change would be nice. And with the impressive improvement by Clarkson I am wondering if the Lakers chase the elite and expensive PG free agents.

Unfortunately most of the SFs are restricted. But would love to see the Lakers find a way to land a young talented SF like Harris, Draymond Green, Middleton or the fantasy level Butler.

Very tough.

But you have Danny Green out there as an UFA.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LA Lakers – Best Case $19.45 million

And then there’s the Lakers. They could have more than the $19 million mentioned above, assuming they do not pick up the $9 million option on Jordan Hill.

Here is how the math works: The Lakers have four players under guaranteed contracts – Kobe Bryant ($25m), Nick Young ($5.219m), Julius Randle ($3.123m) and Ryan Kelly ($1.724m), so that’s $35.07 million in firm commits. The Lakers will carry what looks to be nine incomplete roster charges for $4.725 million which gives you a grand total of $39.8 million or about $27.5 million.

That assumes not picking up the option on Hill, Ed Davis not excercising his option to stay and the Lakers passing on Robert Sacre, Jordan Clarkson (doubtful) and Tarik Black.

That also does not include a roster charge for the draft pick, which we’ll call $4.5 million as a place holder.

So real money, let’s peg the Lakers at $22.1 million to play with, that’s enough for one serious max contract to an established veteran like Monroe, Rondo or Love – and all three are said to be willing to meet with the Lakers this summer.

The Lakers could also be the team that sets the price on Butler, Harris and makes things interesting for Middleton in Milwaukee.

There has been talk of Marc Gasol; however, that’s viewed as a long shot. The Lakers could try to tempt LaMarcus Aldridge out of Portland, but that’s, again, another long shot.

The Lakers are also linked to Jackson in Detroit and even Brandon Knight in Phoenix.

In short, there isn’t a free agent name the Lakers haven’t been linked to; the problem is they may not have the cap cash to get more than one of them.

Basketball Insiders
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

It seems like a very mediocre draft, all the players with Star power will likely sign one year extensions with their current teams then sign a much larger contract next season when the cap goes way up. It might be a waste of time to offer contracts to the restricted free agents because they would probably be matched. I guess maybe we go after role players like Danny Green and Jevale McGee?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
LA Lakers – Best Case $19.45 million

And then there’s the Lakers. They could have more than the $19 million mentioned above, assuming they do not pick up the $9 million option on Jordan Hill.

Here is how the math works: The Lakers have four players under guaranteed contracts – Kobe Bryant ($25m), Nick Young ($5.219m), Julius Randle ($3.123m) and Ryan Kelly ($1.724m), so that’s $35.07 million in firm commits. The Lakers will carry what looks to be nine incomplete roster charges for $4.725 million which gives you a grand total of $39.8 million or about $27.5 million.

That assumes not picking up the option on Hill, Ed Davis not excercising his option to stay and the Lakers passing on Robert Sacre, Jordan Clarkson (doubtful) and Tarik Black.

That also does not include a roster charge for the draft pick, which we’ll call $4.5 million as a place holder.

So real money, let’s peg the Lakers at $22.1 million to play with, that’s enough for one serious max contract to an established veteran like Monroe, Rondo or Love – and all three are said to be willing to meet with the Lakers this summer.

The Lakers could also be the team that sets the price on Butler, Harris and makes things interesting for Middleton in Milwaukee.

There has been talk of Marc Gasol; however, that’s viewed as a long shot. The Lakers could try to tempt LaMarcus Aldridge out of Portland, but that’s, again, another long shot.

The Lakers are also linked to Jackson in Detroit and even Brandon Knight in Phoenix.

In short, there isn’t a free agent name the Lakers haven’t been linked to; the problem is they may not have the cap cash to get more than one of them.

Basketball Insiders

They say $19.45m in the beggining, then $22.1m later...???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

And they added one too many to the minimum cap holds.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

19.45 best case but 22 to play with.

Weird how the Lakers FO structured this roster for max cap space next year yet they're not even in the top 5 in money available. NY is ahead of them even with Melo's new contract.
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Christ that $25million Kobe is making next season really does hamper us. We can get just about 1 max contract to put next to him? How the hell can we build a team a competitive team with $22million give or take?

What does a max start with $14-15million thats $7mill to play with along with a MLE say $5mill, Thats $12million to fill out the roster, Its no where enough to put out a contender

Everyone talking about we have to do something this summer when looking at the numbers above its looking very unlikely. That Kobe contract is just null and void at this point because if we strike out again this summer then everyone will point at that as the main reason. It was a ridiculous contract to offer in the first place. You cant build a Championship Roster in todays NBA when someone is making $25mill on the team at 36 years of age. We need something BIG this summer and what it is IDK. The Draft will be pivotal as to what we do
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

Rookie max starts at around 16m.

We don't have the MLE, but a room exception of $3m.

So less money to spend.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

I guess the idea of building a team over 3-4 years isn't popular here. LG must be Veruca Salt. I want it all and I want it now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Blade wrote:
Christ that $25million Kobe is making next season really does hamper us. We can get just about 1 max contract to put next to him? How the hell can we build a team a competitive team with $22million give or take?

What does a max start with $14-15million thats $7mill to play with along with a MLE say $5mill, Thats $12million to fill out the roster, Its no where enough to put out a contender

Everyone talking about we have to do something this summer when looking at the numbers above its looking very unlikely. That Kobe contract is just null and void at this point because if we strike out again this summer then everyone will point at that as the main reason. It was a ridiculous contract to offer in the first place. You cant build a Championship Roster in todays NBA when someone is making $25mill on the team at 36 years of age. We need something BIG this summer and what it is IDK. The Draft will be pivotal as to what we do

No big deal. You can't field a championship contender in one offseason anyways unless you've got players teaming up ala Miami.

The Lakers will grab a major piece this summer or they will grab supporting pieces and add them to the rookies. Then they will have more space next summer to add maxes.

I'm not worried
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I guess the idea of building a team over 3-4 years isn't popular here. LG must be Veruca Salt. I want it all and I want it now.

Agreed. It'll take a while to rebuild, and a full one doesn't happen until Kobe retires.

Team must not delude itself into thinking it's a contender this offseason and build responsibly.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

FYI:
Quote:
Ten teams, mostly playoff contenders, have already expressed interest in free agent to be center JaVale McGee, a source told Yahoo Sports.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agreed. It'll take a while to rebuild, and a full one doesn't happen until Kobe retires.

Team must not delude itself into thinking it's a contender this offseason and build responsibly.

Agree. If we get a top 3 pick to go along with Randle, we might not even need Free agency to get a star. Let them develop over the course of a few years and see what happens. Use free agency to get the role players.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agree. If we get a top 3 pick to go along with Randle, we might not even need Free agency to get a star. Let them develop over the course of a few years and see what happens. Use free agency to get the role players.

Well, there's that.

But also be in a position in 2016-18 to have assets/cap flexibility to trade young players for established ones (i.e. Westbrook, or free agents like Durant/Conley).

I'm not wedded to a "traditional" rebuild or one where we simply try to buy stars, but being flexible enough to do either.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

this is why i hate paying 5.219 to a 30% SG. hogs the cap room

I know its not that much but it doesnt allow us to sign 1 max + 1 2nd tier player
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
this is why i hate paying 5.219 to a 30% SG. hogs the cap room

I think it's a hard sell to another team to take him off our hands.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next
Page 352 of 2526
Jump to: